REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #31351
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
What kind of food? If it's saucy with carbs like rice or potatoes, you might have to make sure to keep them separated.

Veggies like broccoli will start to stink a bit after a day or so, make sure to keep those separate. It's still fine to eat but might make your food smell bad
yup, I have containers that separate veggies and my meats/complex carbs, but it still stinks.

wondering if I should just switch to salads instead (non-cooked veggies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Maybe utilize a prep service like 2 guys 2 knives? They seal their meals, but somewhat pricy, around $15 per meal.
I've definitely considered meal prep services- I guess with the price range, it would be in between cooking yourself and takeout...
Advertisement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2022, 08:29 AM   #31352
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,603 Times in 2,546 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
For meal prep veg (usually broccoli or cauliflower) I usually keep em raw then nuke them at lunch time.

Proteins I usually do something braised or chicken thighs so they aren't dry when reheated.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #31353
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
any of you guys use non caffeine pre work out?

i don't drink coffee so i don't need that much boost.

also what other supplements are you guys taking?

I'm always sore and tired (diet and lack of stretching i'm sure comes into play) but i'm sure there's something i could be adding in that would help
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #31354
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,260 Times in 2,000 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
How often are you training per week blk?

Supplements = Turmeric Curcumin, and Zinc. Found good results with fish oils in the past, although my stomach can't handle the oil anymore.

The occasional Anavar blast if I'm feeling spiffy before a vacation or summer.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2022, 12:02 PM   #31355

I take quite a number of vitamins moreso for general health, mainly based off of Dr Rhonda Patrick. Dunno how effective it is but seems to be pretty good, especially since my wife and I have not gotten COVID (at least to our knowledge) at any point so far, and we do go out to eat quite a bit. Anyway, my daily intake spread over two doses (lunch and dinner)

6x 1000 UI vitamin d
6x 900mg omega 3 fish oil
2x 1000mg vitamin c
2x 200mg magnesium bisglycinate
4x 500mg quercetin
2x 50mg zinc

The quercetin I added during COVID as there's been studied that say it possibly helps, especially in combination with zinc and vitamin D.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 06-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #31356
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,260 Times in 8,424 Posts
Failed 1,532 Times in 680 Posts
I take probably a lot of supplements, and have used many MANY more in the past. But I have worked out what works for me and while the list is long, I am satisfied with them.

Daily:

Turmeric (2 forms: Phytosomal 500mg and TheraCumin 60mg. I don't know which is better so I take both)
Omega 3 (1800 mg EPA/900 mg DHA)
Vitamin D (6000 iu)
Ashwagandha (Himalaya brand only, 1 tablet)
Arjuna (Himalaya brand, 1 tablet)
Theanine (200mg, when using caffeine)
CoQ10 (Ubiquinol form, 100mg)

Nightly:

Magnesium lysinate glycinate: 300mg
Zinc: 50mg
Copper: 2mg (included with zinc)
Melatonin: 5mg
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:59 PM   #31357

Interesting, what's the turmeric for? Noticing both skinny and Mike using it.

Also what do you use the ashwaghanda for, and what did you feel from it?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 06-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #31358

Curcumin seems to be good for pretty much everything lol.. Mental health (it can help depression and PTSD, prevent cognitive decline, improve memory) physical (it's a strong anti inflammatory), antioxidant, good for internal organs (liver, kidney) and probably a bunch more

For me ashwagandha helps with my anxiety quite a bit. It's not a 'you feel it when it kicks in' kind of thing, but after taking it for a while, if you stop you will notice its effects are gone. I do not miss a dose - I can't imagine not taking it now. I still have issues that pop up from time to time, usually an hour or so after sleeping when it happens, but it's nothing like before.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #31359

Tumeric is great for you gut, and inflammation. Also known to raise testosterone.

It's a cheap supplement without any real side effects, hence I have it in my regimen.

I used to take a ton of supplements, but I found that it's not a zero sum game.

Many supplements people take end up causing ancillary side effects (constipation, fatigue, gut issues, etc.)

So while you may think you're doing your body well by introducing these vitamins and minerals, often times those side effects outweigh the positives. Ultimately most of the positive effects are placebos anyways.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #31360
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
How often are you training per week blk?

Supplements = Turmeric Curcumin, and Zinc. Found good results with fish oils in the past, although my stomach can't handle the oil anymore.

The occasional Anavar blast if I'm feeling spiffy before a vacation or summer.
hey, typically 4-5 days a week. I go to a "crossfit" gym so the work outs are all over the place. either way, i'm sore as fuck 90% of the time.

i'll look at what everyone has posted and started adding based on what i read.

thanks guys
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #31361

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
Spoiler!

i heard collagen was good for joints & skin. not 100% on that. its expensive af so not really buying it any longer.

also take Q10. heard your levels drop off as you get older.
use to take 50mg zinc but its way too much. i heard its best to take every 2 days. also needs to be balanced with Copper.

use to buy "Expensive" vitamins like Orange triad by Controlled labs... just ended up buying cheaper vitamins later on. maybe i'll return to bodybuilding vitamins later for joint support..idk.
i remember when taking orange triad while pounding food down. Digestion was amazing cause whatever i ate came out extra easy.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 06-06-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #31362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post

i heard collagen was good for joints & skin. not 100% on that. its expensive af so not really buying it any longer.

also take Q10. heard your levels drop off as you get older.
use to take 50mg zinc but its way too much. i heard its best to take every 2 days. also needs to be balanced with Copper.

use to buy "Expensive" vitamins like Orange triad by Controlled labs... just ended up buying cheaper vitamins later on. maybe i'll return to bodybuilding vitamins later for joint support..idk.
i remember when taking orange triad while pounding food down. Digestion was amazing cause whatever i ate came out extra easy.
What does it feel like when you get too much zinc?
Old 06-06-2022, 06:01 PM   #31363

nauseous, i realized i eat beef/chicken almost everyday that fulfills my daily intake of 10mg/day.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #31364

Ah that's too bad... Part of why Zinc comes in higher dose is because it's often taken with other minerals at night, and they compete with each other.. So if you take 50mg of zinc with 300mg magnesium, you aren't going to absorb all that
Old 06-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #31365
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 154 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
hey, typically 4-5 days a week. I go to a "crossfit" gym so the work outs are all over the place. either way, i'm sore as fuck 90% of the time.
Read this the other day and its been bouncing around in my head. Upfront, I own a CF gym and do all the programming.

If you're consistently attending a gym 4-5 days a week the workouts shouldn't be "all over the place"... anymore. I realize that was crossfit the better part of a decade ago but I really hope it has grown up.

In my opinion crossfit gyms should be using general strength progressive overload cycles mixed with conditioning workouts which shouldn't leave people sore every time they workout. The program should be well explained to the members and while varied the workouts should not be random.

You as a client should be able to ask what the current programming goals are and the owner/staff should be able to provide a bunch of context.

I'd look like such an ass if you're a member of my gym, but whatever.

Also, if you're always so sore, scale the workouts and intensity back a bit man!

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #31366

i wouldn't recommend "crossfit"

one of my family members thought she was so cool swing heavy weight around like a feather & i really think that way too much stress on you're joints.

it looks like a speed run with weights.

she had a Rotator cuff injury that needed surgery.

slow & steady with weights is the way to go IMO. some of you guys here got bulked up pretty damn well the normal way to workout.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:58 PM   #31367

Mr Money is entirely correct. I train with bodybuilders and have done a few shows in the past myself (physique). I also carry my BCRPA.

People watch the Crossfit games and see these jacked dudes and chicks and end up wanting to do that style of workout themselves. Here are a few reasons why you can't:

-You're old or not young enough to be doing that shit to your joints anymore. When you're in your lower 20's you can swing and throw and conduct all those explosive movements all day, once you hit your 30's it's a no go.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/1...it-statistics/
The average age of male athletes in the 2018 Games was 27, according to the CrossFit Games.

-Secondly you're not on "supplements". Many of these Crossfit competitors are juiced up, making it much easier for them to take that type of wear and tear on the joints.

-Thirdly, you're not a genetic freak. Lets be real here, the top level Crossfit guys and gals are genetic freaks, they do this as a lifestyle. Your 9-5 office working ass isn't that (not targeting anyone in here.) The reality is you will eventually hurt yourself, and with an injury that will linger.

If you want tendonitis in every joint, float your boat, it will catch up to you. Slow and steady is the way to go as you get older, any trainer, any pro will tell you that. Focus on the mind muscle connection, focus on higher reps, lower the weight. You can still ball out occasionally and go mad heavy (which I do at times), 70% of my training is in the 12-15 rep range, slow and controlled.

By training this method if anything I've gotten bigger with WAY less stress on the knees and elbows.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #31368
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,356 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Wasn't there this news story on recently about a 15 year old girl from BC killing it at some Crossfit competition?

The whole time I was thinking wtf isn't that super sketchy for someone her age to be subjecting her body to that?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #31369

Sorry, didn't really want to turn this into a crossfit shit fest.

A few things guys:
- We don't do crossfit games shit. No one does anymore, the level the games athletes are at (and load of supplements they are on) takes them to a level above anyone. I explain it to my clients like they are playing in the NFL while we are playing flag football.

- Most gyms I know are moving away from the shitty crossfit stuff from decade ago, for example I rarely program kipping pull ups (replacing them with strict/banded etc) and don't coach the butterfly (flailing fish). No handstand push ups etc.... Clients getting hurt is really not good for business.

- The sport of CrossFit is VERY different than the day in day out at most gyms where most people are 9-5 desk jockies that want to go into the gym, workout for an hour and get on with their lives.

- Just like any other form of competition people will want to take it seriously and sacrifice their health and safety to do it. Because it was mentioned above, I would argue bodybuilders who compete are not exactly the most healthy people while competing.

- My gym focuses on 6-8 week strength cycles based off programs like Hatch squat for Push, pull, squat, pull up. We test 1RM's usually every quarter and prioritize movement quality over heavy weights.

But shit, thats just my gym.
Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2022, 05:14 PM   #31370
I STILL don't get it

Failed 116 Times in 33 Posts
CrossFit games this week.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #31371

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
CrossFit games this week.

rich
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #31372

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
I came in here to make that same comment lol. Been following him for years
Old 09-15-2022, 12:02 AM   #31373

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
So for those of you who count carbs or generally try to eat clean, what’s your go to alcoholic bevy?

Imma craft beer guy but going into the holidays soon now, I feel like I should make the switch to the “nude” or other kind of flavoured seltzer drinks. Any suggestions on brands that actually might *taste* like something?

I’m not a fan of lacroix or bubly… something maybe along those lines but at least with some flavour? I don’t have an issue with artificial sweeteners
Old 09-15-2022, 04:04 PM   #31374

Should NOT drink ANY alcohol if you're cutting. Believe me I tried lol. Best to be sober until you reach your goals.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #31375

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So for those of you who count carbs or generally try to eat clean, what’s your go to alcoholic bevy?

Imma craft beer guy but going into the holidays soon now, I feel like I should make the switch to the “nude” or other kind of flavoured seltzer drinks. Any suggestions on brands that actually might *taste* like something?

I’m not a fan of lacroix or bubly… something maybe along those lines but at least with some flavour? I don’t have an issue with artificial sweeteners
Get away from beers and any of those canned drinks.

Drink hards and make your own drinks. I find tequila great if you're looking to keep it low sugar/low carbs. Tequila on ice with some lime and salt, some soda if you wish.

Mojitos are good too if you keep the sugar low.
This post thanked by: