REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #19826
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,260 Times in 8,424 Posts
Failed 1,532 Times in 680 Posts
2 plates front squats

Probably nothing compared to some of you cunts, but it's good for me
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #19827
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,848 Times in 596 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 13 Posts
is it okay if my lower back is sore after heavy squats or deadlifts?
it's not painful, but it feels kinda sore or tight and i feel fine after my workouts
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #19828

Sore as in fatigued? Yes it's fine
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #19829
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 51 Posts
^skinny, i remember back when you were doing 2 plates BACKsquat, and i was trying to convince you to do more cus you were doing like 15 reps of it or something... Now you're doing 2 plates frontsquat, dufuq? You're legs must've taken a good beating from ur training for such improvement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #19830

I am doing 15 reps on front squat too btw

I'm just adding more weight every week, that's all. Very rarely do I do the same amount of weight twice in a row, and when I do, it's usually time to switch to new lifts.

My program ends completely this week, and I think I am going to go right back and do it all over again. So all my 'end points' after 4 weeks will roughly be my new starting points. That should be pretty rad
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #19831
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 1,128 Times in 272 Posts
fuarkkkk 19 year old from khazakstan lifts 131kg in clean and jerk....
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #19832
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 210 Times in 24 Posts
B.C. is muscling its way into sports supplement industry

interesting story....

B.C. is muscling its way into sports supplement industry
By PAUL LUKE, The Province July 27, 2012 Comment 4 •Story•Photos ( 7 )
Don Gauvreau is co-owner of fast-growing sports supplement maker, PharmaFreak. He chose Jack Poole Plaza next to the Olympic Cauldron for a recent workout which included using resistance bands and existing architecture for his workout.Photograph by: Kim Stallknecht , PNGGo ahead and stare, wuss. Some of Don Gauvreau’s best customers look a bit inhuman — and they like it that way.

They’re the guys with murderous biceps, deltoids like melons, pectorals erupting into massive slabs of granite.

They swagger over Canada’s beaches on stainless steel glutes and thighs thicker than old-growth cedars. Veins ripple across their torsos like engorged snakes if they so much as pick their nose.

Got a problem with that, 90-pound brother? Dude over there — the smouldering gent with forearm flexors throbbing like volcanoes — would be delighted to hear your concerns, if you’re careful enough to snivel.

They call themselves freaks. And a small group of supplement makers are turning the Lower Mainland into Canada’s freak food factory.

These B.C. companies are capitalizing on a demand for nutritional potions that is growing thanks to a mainstream of weekend warriors, says Connor Link, associate editor of U.S.-based Nutrition Business Journal.

The Vancouver area has evolved into a sport supplements hub, and local innovators are opening new nutritional market frontiers, Link says.

Scott Welch, who owns Toronto-based Muscle Insider magazine, says B.C.’s sports nutrition industry has grown to the point it generates 40-50 per cent of his advertising revenue.

“British Columbia has the highest density of supplement companies per capita of any province in Canada,” Welch says.

“With the West Coast being more health conscious and active than many other parts of Canada, it’s not surprising.”

PharmaFreak, the Vancouver-based company Gauvreau co-founded in 2008, is one of the newest kids on B.C.’s sports supplement block. It’s also among the fastest growing, with distribution in more than 40 countries.

The six-person company’s sales have soared from $250,000 in the first year to an estimated $10 million for the year ending Aug. 31.

Packaged in a hard-to-miss solar-flare yellow, the company’s potions have a reputation for being cutting edge.

In a major coup for PharmaFreak, retailer GNC — a nutritional products chain with 4,800 stores in the U.S. — began stocking its products south of the border earlier this year.

Gauvreau’s top-selling product is a fat-burner called Ripped Freak.

In second place is Test Freak, a testosterone-boosting product to help build muscles. In a sign of the sports supplement sector’s bid to reach beyond weightlifters — maybe to those of us broomsticks whose libidos began to plunge at age 13 — the company’s website assures you that Test will “increase sex drive and performance.”

Gauvreau’s shaved head and bulging ropes are so common among Vancouver’s sports supplement players they’re almost a uniform. But take a look beneath Gauvreau’s sinews.

At 34, he has a master’s degree in education and is a former elementary school teacher. He plays cello, raises an infant son and writes fitness magazine columns. He keeps a thick text on Chinese herbal medicine on his desk.

His entrepreneurial thirst unslaked with one sports nutrition outfit, Gauvreau launched another called SD Pharmaceuticals.

When not working out, Gauvreau pours over medical journals and scientific research, scouting new ingredients.

“I’m totally a nerd,” he says. “I may not look that way but I’m definitely a stay-behind-the-computer-and-study person.”

New boutique supplement makers pour into the industry like whey powder every year, emboldened by the industry’s low entry barriers, Welch says.

The Vancouver area is dotted with supplement factories, making it easy to fill a 300-bottle order with little upfront investment, he says.

Labels can be designed in a few days and a website slapped together during a weekend.

“Coming up with a formulation is often done simply by copying the formula or the label of the innovative companies like PharmaFreak and others,” Welch says.

“Believe it or not, but some consumers will start buying your products with few questions asked if they see a product they’ve never tried before.”

Physique athletes are said to be among the most fickle of shoppers.

“[They] are willing to switch around to different formulas if the guy at GNC recommends something new,” Link says.

And consumers often bypass quality in their quest for lower prices.

“With supplements, you always get what you pay for,” Welch says. “Quality costs more.”

The B.C. nutrition outfits tussling for the same consumers and the same chunk of retail shelf have a predictably evangelic conviction of the superiority of their own products. What’s surprising is the degree of competitive camaraderie.

They share information about the challenges of entering new markets overseas and shifting regulatory demands around the globe. Many of their senior employees worked together at mother ship outfits such as Ontario-based MuscleTech.

Many have competed as bodybuilders. Some are buds.

“We’ll all play nice in the same sandbox,” says Ryan Keller, sports brands marketing director for Port Coquitlam-based Fit Foods.

“There’s enough pie for everyone.”

Companies with brands gnawing on that pie are PharmaFreak, SD, Magnum Nutraceuticals, Vega, Prairie Naturals and Natural Factors.

Fit Foods, whose Mutant supplements account for 70 per cent of its sales, makes its own products, and manufactures for others. Maple Ridge-based GFR Pharma takes the same approach.

Who takes sports supplements? Beach body cravers, hockey players looking to gain muscle to hit harder and fitness-minded everybodies, Welch says.

Bert Neibergall, vice-president at Surrey-based Magnum, says that in the crucial 16-to-25 age group the consumers are 85 per cent males.

Some of these guys are hard-core body builders, others just want to look like Jean-Claude Van Damme or Matthew McConaughey, Neibergall says. Among the most popular supplements for these groups are creatine, whey protein, multi-vitamins, weight-gainers and essential fatty acids.

But from the late 20s to early 50s, women rise to about 50 per cent of supplement consumers as female activity level increases and men’s eases, he says. Welch predicts we will see more variety stores, gas stations, vending machines, movie theatres and other mass-market outlets carrying sports supplements.

“Portable protein shakes, bars and drinks will be the first items you’ll see in these spots but single-serving fat burners and energy pills will follow.”

Supplements producers are by no means recession proof but the physique-tweaking zeal of their youngest consumers makes them contraction resistant, Keller says.

“Nothing is more important to those kids than building big muscles to attract girls,” he says. “When it comes to their cash they’ll spend it on our products before they do anything else.”

Read more: B.C. is muscling its way into sports supplement industry
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #19833
Treasure Chest MOD

^reading this is really making me want to start my own supplement company

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #19834
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 67 Posts
Does anybody here stack creatine with beta-alanine?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #19835
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Failed 406 Times in 127 Posts
I really don't get how ppl drop 60-70 bucks on a test booster
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #19836
Treasure Chest MOD

guys there's a supp thread for a reason yennow

Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #19837
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 67 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't see it. This is my go-to thread for advice about whatever has to do with lifting. Sorry, I know we have all these other threads for this and that, but this is the grandmaster thread, the original that came before all, and I come here and only here.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #19838
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Failed 765 Times in 247 Posts
Ouch. Dropped A 60 pound dumbbell on my chest doing incline dumbbell press. Left chest/arm gave out as I was going for full extension.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #19839
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Failed 410 Times in 209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I'll be honest, I don't see it. This is my go-to thread for advice about whatever has to do with lifting. Sorry, I know we have all these other threads for this and that, but this is the grandmaster thread, the original that came before all, and I come here and only here.
Is anybody else getting tired of this guy?

Even as a poseur, you reuse some of the sorriest gimmicks to death.
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #19840
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Failed 406 Times in 127 Posts
3 weeks ago 225ish
3 weeks later 235
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #19841
Treasure Chest MOD

^at ur height you could aim for more to fill out your frame

Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #19842
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Ouch. Dropped A 60 pound dumbbell on my chest doing incline dumbbell press. Left chest/arm gave out as I was going for full extension.
LOL... and that's exactly why you don't lock out on any chest press...

but a 60? pussyradar goes off...

jokes man, shit happens.. i crushed my nail once trying to attempt 100lb shoulder press. i failed

Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #19843
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Failed 765 Times in 247 Posts
i usually do 5x5 75 pounds incline dumbell press? Does it not match with my bench?

also managed to add 10 pounds to my bench. So i'm now 2 plates + 10 pounds.

Not much weight increase, but more weight is more weight.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #19844
I LOVE SQWAT

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
You were repping 2 plates before right? Are you repping 2 plates + 10 now? If so that is awesome, 20lbs increase on bench is huge.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #19845
Treasure Chest MOD

redsir what is ur bench?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #19846
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 30 Times in 9 Posts
A week in vegas and no weight lost. Thats a first for me
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #19847
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
redsir what is ur bench?
My max is 300.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #19848
Treasure Chest MOD

^damn you beat me. What's your dumbbell max?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #19849
I LOVE SQWAT

80's... because that's the heaviest we have at Thompson lol.

What's your dumbbell press up to now?
Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #19850

For me it depends on the incline. With a steeper incline, the weight goes down a bit. I read somewhere (several times actually) that the 'proper' incline is 'barely inclined at all' and 'below the first notch on most incline benches' but I don't know how true that is.