REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 236 Times in 53 Posts
Winter Tires Minus Sizing Pros/Cons?

My Civic LX uses 205/55/16 but 195/65/15 will give the same diameter

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/medias/...plussizing.jpg

Some people say by going down sizing, Minus Sizing Will give better traction in snow but give up on handling..

Is that true and proven?

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
Down sizing to a narrower tire will give better deep snow traction, however, we rarely get that much snow here, so it's not THAT important. You give up some handling going to a narrower tire (and higer sidewall profile), but during the winter you're not going to be driving that hard, plus winter tires handle like crap, so again, not THAT imporant. It could be said that a wider tire gives better ice traction (Wider tire = more sipes in the tread).

Your car will handle just as well in winter driving conditions with either tire, the difference will be how much it costs you. Most significant pros (at least for me) for down sizing is the cheaper price in smaller, narrower tires.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

IMASA: If cost isn't an issue, would you get the 16 or down sizing one to 15 for winter tires?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
I would go down to a 15 just because of cost issue.

If money truely wasn't an issue, then either will be fine. But what wheels do you plan on using? Stock wheels or buying a second set of wheels for winter only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #5

for wheels, a new set of 4 steel wheels
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
If you are going to mount these on another set of wheels and can easily find a set of 15" wheels, I'd go with the 15's. I like higher profile tires in the winter...more tire to abshorb the impact if you spin out and hit a curb

If money isn't an issue, then either is fine for your car. We're not talking about a major difference in tire sizes here.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: