REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #151
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Failed 441 Times in 145 Posts
^ congrats!

First cig when I was 13...smoked semi-regular (3-4\day) through junior and senior high....steadily increasing. Quit (easily) when I was 19-20...picked it back up when I was 23-ish...steadily increased to 1\2 pack a day until I was 32.

Quit 2 days ago.

I am totally done and not craving them at all. I have 1\2 pack in my kitchen drawer and could care less but I feel like SHIT!!

I just keep thinking next week at this time, I'll be sitting pretty

Between Gridlock and I we would waste $10-20 a day.....fucking insane. Feel so much shame

dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #152
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 203 Posts
You'll feel better before you know it, Dino!

It took 4-5 days for me to return to normal.

I had lightheadedness and a constant desire to nap
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_21 View Post
Hey guys I myself started smoking back when I was 16 not really a heavy smoker tho I'd say about 3-5 sticks on a regular day but more whenever i go party and stuff...I did quit for about a yr and a half back in 07 and then went back to smoking again lol.But the good thing is its not really that hard for me to quit smoking as I'm smoke free again since the 1st of the year.no cutting down just cold turkey.
Congrats dude!
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #153
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Think I'm gonna put a curtain call on the smoking, haven't smoked in a couple days, and I want the feeling to completely subside. Finish my last pack, and Back off slowly using a mix of an e-cig and nicotine lozenges. Even after the dependence on nicotine is gone I'll likely continue on the e-cig as I do like the taste of tobacco, and the motion of smoking will be very hard to shake at work.
Posted via RS Mobile
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #154
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Day 4. First time attempting to quit since I started, 24 years ago.

On the second day, I gave away 2 freshly opened packs (goes to show how much I smoked), just so I'd have to think about opening a fresh pack if I caved.

Yesterday was tough cause I ALWAYS have a smoke in my mouth or hand while I work. It also feels so weird not having a pack and lighter on me - like how you always put your keys in the same pocket, something was missing.

TBH, I loved smoking, it was just part of my daily routine but I figure I couldn't keep it up for much longer and I was pretty much due to quit. Gonna have to focus that time and money on something more constructive. Plus that $100 every 8-10 days sure is going to come in handy for better things.

Spoiler!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #155
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
gonna take a few weeks worth of cig money.....
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #156
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Just curious, but is there something that determines whether or not you crave cigarettes?

There will be days I go drinking and smoke half a pack in one night, and then other days where I end up smoking just one a day. I tend to get more cravings when I drink.

I've been smoking fairly regularly for the past two years.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #157
Banned By Establishment

One month in and never looking back!

Don't crave it at all! I found having a e-cig to cure the "habit" side of things (holding and inhaling) helped....but it didn't feel real enough to make me want a real cig.

I really LOVED smoking, but now I find it pretty disgusting.

I am officially now one of those pretentious douche bags who look down on others for smoking now, LOL!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Just curious, but is there something that determines whether or not you crave cigarettes?

There will be days I go drinking and smoke half a pack in one night, and then other days where I end up smoking just one a day. I tend to get more cravings when I drink.

I've been smoking fairly regularly for the past two years.
Sounds like you're more or less a social smoker. You only smoke when you're hanging out, drinking with your friends and the odd time, when you just kinda feel like it.

Question for you is: do you want to quit?

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #159
I don't get it

Failed 167 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

Don't crave it at all! I found having a e-cig to cure the "habit" side of things (holding and inhaling) helped....but it didn't feel real enough to make me want a real cig.
I am looking to purchase a good e-cig to help me quit as well. Is there any that you would recommend for good quality and price?
604dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #160
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

I really LOVED smoking, but now I find it pretty disgusting.
I'm one month in as well but specifically avoided any of those e-cigs. I figured a majority of my smoking was habitual (especially while driving), so breaking the habit versus the addiction was going to be the hardest part.

The smell of smoke is really bothering me now, as my wife is still smoking.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #161
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604dragon View Post
I am looking to purchase a good e-cig to help me quit as well. Is there any that you would recommend for good quality and price?
I did not put any thought and energy into pricing and comparing quality, tbh. I didn't want to turn my smoking addiction and habit into an e-cig habit so I literally just went to 7-11 and bought whatever one they sold there in mint flavor for $20.

I used it more for those times where I would really "feel the need"....ie. stress, etc. A situation where the habit was pulling me more than the nicotine addiction. I would use it maybe once a day...some times twice....most days, I wouldn't use it at all.

There is a whole community our there of people who "vape", and I really wouldn't classify myself as one. I know there is a specialty story by North Road though...maybe check in there?

Sorry I don't really have any recommendations...
Old 06-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #162
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Failed 421 Times in 103 Posts
So of all the people who said they would quit at one point in their life, who actually has "quit".... I am going to guess the numbers are ridiculously low... as in less than 10 percent. I don't think I have personally met anyone who has completely quit, ever.

PS I am not a smoker
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
So of all the people who said they would quit at one point in their life, who actually has "quit".... I am going to guess the numbers are ridiculously low... as in less than 10 percent. I don't think I have personally met anyone who has completely quit, ever.

PS I am not a smoker
So what's the point of your post?

This thread if for people who want to quit, regardless of whether they may have tried and failed in the past, and for others who have successfully quit to give them encouragement and advice.

The fact that you don't know anyone who quit successfully is moot and might be indicative of the company you keep.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #164
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
I've never smoked a cigarette or had coffee but I love 2nd hand smoke, especially in enclosed areas. Both cigarette smoke and stick welding smoke. Serious

I would never believe this in a million years but I know multiple people who have had success by seeing a hypnotist.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #165
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:

PS I am not a smoker
I know ten people who have quit and eight "actually [have] quit," as you say. The two that did not succeed continue to attempt to quit; one plans to attempt again this year, and i believe she'll succeed, and the other has smoked for 42 years, and thus has an especially difficult addiction to break.

I personally only know two smokers who have not attempted to quit, and one of them has truly outstanding circumstances.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #166
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
So what's the point of your post?

This thread if for people who want to quit, regardless of whether they may have tried and failed in the past, and for others who have successfully quit to give them encouragement and advice.

The fact that you don't know anyone who quit successfully is moot and might be indicative of the company you keep.
the point of my post was to ask what I asked.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #167
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 635 Times in 69 Posts
I smoked daily/occasionally from 15- about 22. Never a big smoker by any means but quitting was hard

I turned my addiction to food so whenever I wanted a smoke I would eat WHATEVER I wanted. I was munching down teen burgers, ice cream, chocolate bars right left and center. Sure I gained about 10 pounds in 3 weeks but then I just started running it off.

One thing led to another and I got addicted to Running then that slowly moved to weight training. Its been about 3 years now of being 99% smoke free (once in a blue moon when I drink I have a couple) and I feel great. Sure if I don't workout 3-4 times a week I get pissy like when I didn't smoke but I rather have that then be a smoker.

sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #168
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
I smoked daily/occasionally from 15- about 22. Never a big smoker by any means but quitting was hard

I turned my addiction to food so whenever I wanted a smoke I would eat WHATEVER I wanted. I was munching down teen burgers, ice cream, chocolate bars right left and center. Sure I gained about 10 pounds in 3 weeks but then I just started running it off.

One thing led to another and I got addicted to Running then that slowly moved to weight training. Its been about 3 years now of being 99% smoke free (once in a blue moon when I drink I have a couple) and I feel great. Sure if I don't workout 3-4 times a week I get pissy like when I didn't smoke but I rather have that then be a smoker.

From your experience, and from your experience, do you think people who have very difficult time quitting smoking have addictive personalities? Seems like you HAD to replace one addiction with another. I hear your kind of story quite a bit.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #169
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 635 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
From your experience, and from your experience, do you think people who have very difficult time quitting smoking have addictive personalities? Seems like you HAD to replace one addiction with another. I hear your kind of story quite a bit.
Oh couldn't agree more. Addictions run in my family huge and for that reason alone I don't do drugs and I really don't drink a shit ton.

If people could only figure out what there addiction is and channel it to a more positive one it makes life a hell of a lot easier.
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #170
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,179 Times in 229 Posts
Failed 198 Times in 55 Posts
Its been almost 6 months since my last smoke. I smoked a decent amount so im pretty proud of myself. I do get random cravings every now and then but the thought of relapsing and knowing I would quit again going through that shitty process fuckin scares me lol. Cravings peak when Im drunk or at raves, those are brutal.

I did it cold turkey too. When you feel like you finally had enough, your mind can push you to do anything you want. So fuk belmonts hahaha.
Jegz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #171
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
so i quit cold turkey for 3 years after smoking half a pack a day for 5 years, then i got back into smoking last year and felt ashamed to go train after working so hard.

Im now on Day 4 of quitting again -_-
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #172
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
so i quit cold turkey for 3 years after smoking half a pack a day for 5 years, then i got back into smoking last year and felt ashamed to go train after working so hard.

Im now on Day 4 of quitting again -_-
What was the catalyst for your start again after 3 years?

Whenever I think about smoking again, I just remember the withdrawal....that alone, keeps me away.

Congrats on not giving up!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #173
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
it started with casual smoking when i was drunk. i just like the high from the nicotine
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #174
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegglez View Post
Its been almost 6 months since my last smoke. I smoked a decent amount so im pretty proud of myself. I do get random cravings every now and then but the thought of relapsing and knowing I would quit again going through that shitty process fuckin scares me lol. Cravings peak when Im drunk or at raves, those are brutal.

I did it cold turkey too. When you feel like you finally had enough, your mind can push you to do anything you want. So fuk belmonts hahaha.
I've relapsed.

Once you've quit smoking, cigarettes are completely unsatisfying.

The smell and taste become awful, the nicotine high becomes unfulfilling.

Giving into cravings is so pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
it started with casual smoking when i was drunk. i just like the high from the nicotine
Welcome back to the ex-smokers club, bud.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #175
Banned By Establishment

No relapse yet and life has been pretty stressful....there were times when i said, "fuck, i wish i still smoked".

staying strong!

Screenshot_2013-07-14-11-28-54.png

(woah, can a mod shrink that??)
This post thanked by: