REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
I use Valeo since they are the OE for my cars (BMW). $5 a pop. Takes about 20 minutes to replace a set. A tip: oil and clean the blades before you fit the replacement inserts.. I often test fit the blades first, then trim the excess off for maximum coverage.

If you do want to get spare inserts, make sure you have 2 sets of blades.. and swap the blades during summer, I think winter is not the best time to replace blades (should have done it earlier)..

Making sure the blade / arms are in good working order (ie in the right angles), and apply even pressure to the glass.. are more important than applying RainX and all that jazz. Use an old toothbrush and assembly grease to work on the springs underneath the linkages while you are at it.

I think the steelwool suggestion depends on the type of glass you have.. I won't do it on my own glass... However if your glass is really clear, I don't see the harm.
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #27
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
I've used the stock Honda blades, Bosch Icons, Michelin Stealth and currently using the cheapo Goodyear Assurance that I picked up at Costco. The best so far - the Bosch Icons but they're so damn expensive so I haven't gone back to them yet.

My TSX seems to have an unusually long drivers side blade (26") and it seems that most blades don't have enough pressure in the centre to give it a good wipe. The streaks it leaves is right in my line of sight which is annoying. What I've done is drop down a size (to 24") and that seems to work pretty well. It's worth a try if your new-ish blades aren't wiping cleanly on the drivers side.

I also give my glass a polish once a year with the PC and a felt pad with a cerium oxide paste. It somewhat clears away some of the hairline scratches and pitting on the glass. I'd guess it's similar to the steel wool suggestion but with a lot less elbow grease required. :P This is the kit I use.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,466 Times in 190 Posts
Failed 141 Times in 24 Posts
I'm using UltimateX from Walmart. Very quiet and doesn't streak easily. They are cheap and works well. My picky ass friend who used Piaa and Bosch recommended me these
Posted via RS Mobile
FRStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 319 Times in 77 Posts
I use that rain-x glass treatment on my windshield and just use stock ford wipers. Pretty good combo I must say.
Posted via RS Mobile
Teh Doucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
I've used the stock Honda blades, Bosch Icons, Michelin Stealth and currently using the cheapo Goodyear Assurance that I picked up at Costco. The best so far - the Bosch Icons but they're so damn expensive so I haven't gone back to them yet.

My TSX seems to have an unusually long drivers side blade (26") and it seems that most blades don't have enough pressure in the centre to give it a good wipe. The streaks it leaves is right in my line of sight which is annoying. What I've done is drop down a size (to 24") and that seems to work pretty well. It's worth a try if your new-ish blades aren't wiping cleanly on the drivers side.

I also give my glass a polish once a year with the PC and a felt pad with a cerium oxide paste. It somewhat clears away some of the hairline scratches and pitting on the glass. I'd guess it's similar to the steel wool suggestion but with a lot less elbow grease required. :P This is the kit I use.
If you're using a reflex type wiper you have to remove that wiper blade holder on the driver side. That will fix your problem with reflex type wipers.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #31
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 89 Times in 14 Posts
after selling and using multiple bosch, trico, and piaa wipers, i've personally used the PIAA silicones on every car i had. (eg6, TSX, em1) and i cannot complain. the solution provided with the piaas is awesome and lasts quite a while. i had my eg6 for over 2 years and never changed the piaa wipers once and they still worked awesome.
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #32
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
Been using Costco Michelin wipers for a while now, no complaints yet. Quiet and streak free on my miata.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #33
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 121 Times in 27 Posts
I use oem on my Honda, nothing fancy but get the job done, might not last as long but dirt cheap, at $5.50 each I can changes twice as often and still save money ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #34
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,561 Times in 514 Posts
Failed 60 Times in 33 Posts
I use Rain-X on all my windows. Which is nice espcially for the side windows cause it doesnt even look like theres water on it when driving. But either than that I just make sure I wipe my wiper blades every time I wash the car, and worst case I just replace the wiper inserts for the oem blades since they are only like $5 each.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote