REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #251
I STILL don't get it

Failed 10 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
does PRS provide bikes?? and what cc can you practice on??
they provide you with the bike and gear to practice on. I was using a Honda CRF most of the time while I was there. They had quite a few Sherpa's as well. I'm pretty sure they were 250cc's. For the ride around town I was using the blue 250 ninja they have there. PRS will allow you to use their bike's for your road test as well. I was practicing on my buddy's 09 gsx-r750 for 2 weeks then came back for the road test using the honda CRF and it was like riding a toy. My gf didn't even bother switching back to her school bike, she took her R6 on her road test and passed.
Advertisement
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #252
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 4 Times in 1 Post
They have Honda Rebels if you happen to be inseam challenged like me.....
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #253
Banned By Establishment

Failed 115 Times in 24 Posts
They supply everything you need.
You can always wear your own gear if you want.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #254
Banned By Establishment

Failed 115 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
If you decide to go with PRS you'll soon realize that regardless the distance you travel whether it's across town or down one block doesn't matter. There was a guy in my class at PRS that almost got smoked crossing the road from the parking lot to the PRS office.

I'm glad you're considering taking lessons from PRS because I use everything I learned in PRS when I ride and even sometimes when I drive. I know a lot of people may think 'classroom' stuff is boring and their ego's get in the way, but Dat and Kramer made the entire experience from the first classroom day to the ride around town a fun and valuable learning experience. My gf and I were actually sad on the last day that class was ending. $800 is nothing if you're comparing your life to it.
No need to be sad. Remember, Dat has an open door policy at PRS
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #255
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
Spoiler!
sry i would pm you but it wont let me

you say your gf rides a r6 =| did she go straight to it or??? how is she doing with it??

and for the PRS, can you go back and just do like a drop in to get some more practice/tips ??
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #256
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
sry i would pm you but it wont let me

you say your gf rides a r6 =| did she go straight to it or??? how is she doing with it??

and for the PRS, can you go back and just do like a drop in to get some more practice/tips ??
Yep, she has a Red/White 2004 R6 and has no problems with it. She's only 5'2", maybe 115lbs and we had to get it lowered for her by about an inch. I'll be honest, her riding skills are probably better than mine right now. She uses the R6 as her primary mode of transportation so she has a lot more riding hours then I do. I don't have a bike yet, and we only have 1 parking space in my building so the bike goes in front of my 335i. But I have been borrowing my friends 09 GSXR-750 whenever I want to head out.

I'm actually proud of her cause she used the R6 on her road test and passed. During the lesson I think she was using those Honda Rebels and she hated it and felt more comfortable on her R6. Kramer thought she was straight up crazy for using the R6 for the road test but it all comes down to what ever you are more comfortable with and she passed with flying colors.

We've only stopped by PRS once after our course but never really asked for tips/practice, but as for racerman88 said the school has an open door policy and you're always welcome back to visit or ask questions.

If you get Dat as your instructor, ask if he remembers Nikita and Hammer from August 2011
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #257
RabidMod

Thanked 1,349 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
^ I was more comfortable on my 600 than the sherpa as well. Got through the road test fine. People seem to blow the difficulty of riding a 600 way out of proportion and I have no idea why.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #258
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
People seem to blow the difficulty of riding a 600 way out of proportion and I have no idea why.
Couldn't agree more
Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #259
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
im just worried about dumping it and fucking it up while trying to learn
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #260
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Failed 601 Times in 94 Posts
The reason people "blow it out of proportion" is that unless you've ridden around in a 250/400cc or small cc bike a fair amount taking hard corners and stuff, it is much harder to understand the throttle/body/turning control if you start with a 600cc.

You don't go to the gym and start doing two plate squats, why would you learn a motorcycle on a 600cc? Then again, this is Canada and we're relatively limited in our selection of low cc bikes.

My opinion comes from owning and riding a 400cc (standard) bike for a few months. It was a breeze to learn on and very forgiving. It was very easy to control throttle and go into turns and adjust mid-way. When I first rode my 600cc, it was a heavy ass mother fucker that performed in no-way like 400cc in ANY aspect. It took some thinking to understand how to make the 600cc ride like the 400. Took me a while before I could take a corner faster, harder, and more confident.

If I could, I'd still ride a 400cc. It's the perfect commuter bike, cheap on insurance, you can't really get in trouble (speed), and it's a fucking blast in the twisties with it being so light.

So no, people aren't blowing it out of proportion. It is completely true (you think Dat, Karmer, Chris, and Horse are lying to you?) that lower CC to start with is great. Besides, The Doc started racing scooters and worked his way up....what makes you think you're better than him? lol
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #261
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Gdoh, you'll be fine. I would recommend finishing the course, then hop on your own bike first though. I fixed my PM if you want to send me a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
The reason people "blow it out of proportion" is that unless you've ridden around in a 250/400cc or small cc bike a fair amount taking hard corners and stuff, it is much harder to understand the throttle/body/turning control if you start with a 600cc.

You don't go to the gym and start doing two plate squats, why would you learn a motorcycle on a 600cc? Then again, this is Canada and we're relatively limited in our selection of low cc bikes.

My opinion comes from owning and riding a 400cc (standard) bike for a few months. It was a breeze to learn on and very forgiving. It was very easy to control throttle and go into turns and adjust mid-way. When I first rode my 600cc, it was a heavy ass mother fucker that performed in no-way like 400cc in ANY aspect. It took some thinking to understand how to make the 600cc ride like the 400. Took me a while before I could take a corner faster, harder, and more confident.

If I could, I'd still ride a 400cc. It's the perfect commuter bike, cheap on insurance, you can't really get in trouble (speed), and it's a fucking blast in the twisties with it being so light.

So no, people aren't blowing it out of proportion. It is completely true (you think Dat, Karmer, Chris, and Horse are lying to you?) that lower CC to start with is great. Besides, The Doc started racing scooters and worked his way up....what makes you think you're better than him? lol

Where did I say I'm better than them?
With that statement you're basically saying that anyone who graduated from PRS and went straight to a 600cc bike thinks they're better. Of course it'll be easier to ride and learn/adapt on a smaller bike and everyone learns at their own pace and their own way. Look, all it comes down to is what you're comfortable riding on. If you (Not saying you are struggling, just saying people in general) struggle adapting to a higher CC bike then it's probably best to stick with a lower CC bike. If your preference is a 400cc because it's lighter and more maneuverable then all the power to you.

I'm speaking by my own experience and yours may be different. Before the course I was actually scared to sit on the 600rr at the school and didn't think I'd be riding a a 600cc bike for at least 2 years. But the more confidence and knowledge I got through PRS the more comfortable I was with my own skills. Riding once a week rain or shine I got used to the 600/750cc pretty easily and used everything I learned in the school on every ride. Doesn't matter what bike I've ridden whether it's the school's CRF to my other buddies R1 and everything in between, I adapt to it and only ride within my own limit, not the bike's physical limit.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #262
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,285 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Alright guys. Let's all calm down.

I know we all want to be the next Valentino Rossi but opinions are opinions. If you can ride a 600cc bike, good for you. If you started out with a 250 then moved on to a 600, good for you too.

Let's leave them at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #263
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Whoa, whoa.

Just because it wasn't as bad as people say it is (that supposedly you'd flip over the handlebars on the slightest application of the brakes, or instant death on the slightest twitch of the throttle) doesn't mean anyone's accusing you of anything.

It's harder to start on a 600, sure. I'm just saying it's not impossible like the general consensus seems to be. I was going to start on a 125, then go to 250, then maybe a 400 before a 600, and I thought that wouldn't be for at least another two years. All because of the hype. And then bcrdukes happened - read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Alright guys. Let's all calm down.

I know we all want to be the next Valentino Rossi but opinions are opinions. If you can ride a 600cc bike, good for you. If you started out with a 250 then moved on to a 600, good for you too.

Let's leave them at that.
I just wanted to add that you PERSONALLY convinced me to buy the 600 . Back on page 2 of this thread, I said I was going to start on a CBR125R based on what I'd be reading, and then by page 3, quoted a couple posts from other forums explaining why I had to. And then you went through and categorically dismissed each point. So I went ahead and bought the 600. It was fine.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #264
RabidMod

Quote:
Yeah I'd start on a beater bike too. I specifically looked for a bike I gave zero fucks about aesthetically, for that purpose.

Oh, and frame sliders. Get them. =)
Old 05-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #265
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Failed 829 Times in 182 Posts
My first bike was a GSXR

It's Terrible.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #266
RS Veteran

Quote:
I just wanted to add that you PERSONALLY convinced me to buy the 600 . Back on page 2 of this thread, I said I was going to start on a CBR125R based on what I'd be reading, and then by page 3, quoted a couple posts from other forums explaining why I had to. And then you went through and categorically dismissed each point. So I went ahead and bought the 600. It was fine.
Yes, and that's true. You had already taken the course at PRS and you started off on a 250cc. I got the impression based on your posts you were comfortable enough to write off a 125cc. With the amount of time and effort they put you through on a 250cc, it's ample enough for you to move on up to a bigger bike, be it a status quo 250, 400, 500, or 600cc. Heck, if you're brave enough (not you per se) go for a litre bike.

What it boils down to is your personal comfort level. I haven't been keeping up with the thread as much as you other guys have but if gdoh and other members haven't taken the course yet or are still in the middle of the course, they can make up their minds as to whats best for them later on. We can't decide for them what works best for them. It is their onus to make that decision. Remember - we were all at one point in the same spot as him. Look at where we are now.

In your case, you started out with a 250cc at PRS. Picking up a 125cc was not what I would personally suggest. It's a kick to the balls. But if you personally weren't comfortable going to a 600cc, then that's fine too. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. You would have realized very soon that you would outgrow the capabilities of your 125cc based on your needs and go through the perils of selling it to some noob while trying to find another bike. And why did I recommend a 600cc to you personally? As Alphamale pointed out, there is a lack of 400 to 500cc bikes. Are there more 600cc bikes? Sure as hell there are. We don't know what gdoh is going to do. Whether it's touring, getting from A to B or carving canyons and twisties. For me - I'm just a fucking Starbucks poseur.

Let's all hug and kiss one another at the next meet (that's if we even have one) and maybe even a circle jerk. I love you all.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #267
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Failed 601 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
I love you all.
Speak for yourself.

I. Hate. Everyone.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #268
RS Veteran

The honest truth is I fucking hate all of you. So fuck y'all, go crash your shitty bikes and go to hell.
Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #269

Quote:
The honest truth is I fucking hate all of you. So fuck y'all, go crash your shitty bikes and go to hell.

Not my fault it's shitty

I want a Du-Ka-Ti
Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #270
RS Veteran

What's wrong with your GSX-R?
Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #271
RabidMod

Quote:
hug and kiss
Only if you put your milf sweater back on. Fuck that's hot.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #272
RS Veteran

Quote:
Only if you put your milf sweater back on. Fuck that's hot.
Okay.
Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #273

Quote:
What's wrong with your GSX-R?
It's too tall

Perhaps I should lower it or trade it for a not-so sports bike.

Perhaps standard?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #274
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
i'm glad i owned the 400, it was fun and forgiving. allowed me to get the basics down easily... but technically my first bike was a '93 gixxer 750 lol...scary for my first time on a bike haha

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #275
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
It's too tall

Perhaps I should lower it or trade it for a not-so sports bike.

Perhaps standard?
Well, like I said, it boils down to what kind of riding you want to do. If it's just to boot around town comfortably, I'd say sell the GSX-R and get a standard. If you want the thrill and excitement of carving corners, lower the bike properly to suit your height.

As much as I like my cafe SR500, there are days where I wish I had a standard bike to ride like a Triumph Bonneville or something. Other than that, I'm just a Starbucks poseur.
Quote: