REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
Your problem is that you 'lol' at people for having 'poor financial planning' because they can't be bothered to save a few bucks by driving to the states every week.

dhillon is just saying that everyone values their time differently, and you might think its worth it to save a few bucks, but that doesn't mean everyone is like you. You'll understand when you're older.
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
I STILL don't get it

Failed 16 Times in 2 Posts
I just got back from my weekly fill up in PR. I take my work truck (100L) and 2 cans (25L ea). I have never ever had the slightest problem with fueling them all up and bringing into Canada.

Today at Can-Am there was a red jeep that must of has 6 fuel cans. The driver and his family were using 3 pumps to fill everything up!
jdc430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 182 Times in 32 Posts
Do you guys go to shell? or cheveron just further down the street? or the one just before shell? If so reasons?
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Failed 167 Times in 59 Posts
i'll fill the car up when i go down to tsb shipping to pick shit up but i'd never drive 30 min each way just to get gas... what a waste of time.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
^
To add to that, a waste of time and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d87c View Post
Consider how translink raised their fair cost, how buses are never on time, always full people, people getting sick and coughing, transfer & slow to get to one destination to another.

Sorry, a car would be the better transportation means.
This is a far cry from the truth. Despite the rise in fares, putting to blame how their buses are never on time is a farce. If they were never on time, they'd be getting a lot more flack than they are already getting.

People getting sick, coughing, having to transfer to get to another destination are excuses to justify your reasons of "saving" on purchasing gas in the US. Take the time to sit down with your girlfriend and do some number crunching. Don't be pointing fingers at people for "poor financial planning" when you can't even figure it out yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #31
I STILL don't get it

With any car (especially OP case) its barely worth the time and effort. But anything over 100 liters your savings are at least $40. Like CharlieH said, I also have packages waiting at TSB most the time I fill up. And sometimes I'll make a grab a cheap 6pack
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #32
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Failed 167 Times in 59 Posts
i just did a quick search for shits and giggles. i called the chevron at point roberts and their regular is $1.25CAD/L. the chevron on no3 and blundell is $1.43 as of 43 minutes ago. your civic has a 50L fuel tank, which means if you literally COMPLETELY ran out of fuel by the time you got to Point Roberts then you'd save $9 CAD for the cost of 1 hour and roughly 40km of gas consumption.

you lol at 1exotic for having poor financial planning? i lol at you for being a dumbass who drives an hour to save less than 9 dollars.

Chevron Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices at Chevron Gas Stations in Vancouver, British Columbia

Last edited by CharlieH; 03-21-2012 at 03:38 PM.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #33
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 27 Times in 11 Posts
Other than time, considering you are doing this every week, how much wear and tear are you putting on tyres/car from the extra kms even though it is highway?
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
I STILL don't get it

If OP is driving there to save a few bucks I'm sure hes not filling at Chevron. USA Mini Mart is sometimes 10 cents cheaper per liter than Chevron. Just a thought, still not worth the trip at means. Not to mention the border line ups and if you have Nexus the shitty hours the lane is actually open
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Failed 29 Times in 13 Posts
It not taxable because it's a natural resource, however I was talking to the customs officer the other week about this (i don't do it myself and don't plan to but asked about the legalities of it for curiosity sake) and he mentioned the following:
- you SHOULD have a hazardous materials sticker really considering you're driving around with canisters of gas
- they can't tell you not to bring it over but they are advising against it due to safety reasons...in case it wasn't obvious you're driving around with large amounts of gasoline and if it's in a car the fumes are going to be circulating which isn't exactly good health practice
- if enough people complain and bring the issue forward, there may be legalities introduced on the matter.

Personally, I don't think it's a very smart idea considering the safety aspects and hope they introduce some laws against it!
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
Failed 272 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
Other than time, considering you are doing this every week, how much wear and tear are you putting on tyres/car from the extra kms even though it is highway?
Who cares bro. He makes 40k a year and buys his own groceries. Baus.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 245 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
i just did a quick search for shits and giggles. i called the chevron at point roberts and their regular is $1.25CAD/L. the chevron on no3 and blundell is $1.43 as of 43 minutes ago. your civic has a 50L fuel tank, which means if you literally COMPLETELY ran out of fuel by the time you got to Point Roberts then you'd save $9 CAD for the cost of 1 hour and roughly 40km of gas consumption.

you lol at 1exotic for having poor financial planning? i lol at you for being a dumbass who drives an hour to save less than 9 dollars.

Chevron Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices at Chevron Gas Stations in Vancouver, British Columbia
brb nexus to cross the border in 30s
brb gas savings + jerry cans
brb picking up merchandise w/ savings (on both retail AND shipping)
brb 0% tax on groceries
bobbyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #38
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,394 Times in 277 Posts
Failed 30 Times in 9 Posts
if you use regular gas then it's not worth it. But if you need supreme then that is totally different.
Posted via RS Mobile
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 33 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Someone could tell you that you have no money sense because you spend 2 hours saving $20-$30 when you could be working and making more lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
The problem with that logic is that you are assuming he is taking time off work to make that trip. If I make 40k/yr=20/hr, my time is worth 20/hr while I'm at work. It's not worth 20/hr while I'm making dinner, while I'm sleeping, while I'm out buying groceries or gas.

Even with cheap groceries in Bellingham, its not worth my time and effort to go down regularly for gas and groceries. But once a month or two we'll make a day of it and just do general shopping. Stuff gets shipped to PR somewhat regularly, so I'll time my gas needs with when I pick up my stuff.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
It not taxable because it's a natural resource, however I was talking to the customs officer the other week about this (i don't do it myself and don't plan to but asked about the legalities of it for curiosity sake) and he mentioned the following:
- you SHOULD have a hazardous materials sticker really considering you're driving around with canisters of gas
- they can't tell you not to bring it over but they are advising against it due to safety reasons...in case it wasn't obvious you're driving around with large amounts of gasoline and if it's in a car the fumes are going to be circulating which isn't exactly good health practice
- if enough people complain and bring the issue forward, there may be legalities introduced on the matter.

Personally, I don't think it's a very smart idea considering the safety aspects and hope they introduce some laws against it!
1. I'd recommend you check your sources. Gas can be charged tax AND duties

2. I don't fully disagree with your safety concerns, but jerry cans are made specifically for gas to minimize fuel evaporation and withstand some level of physical abuse. It's not like people are filling empty milk jugs with gas.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #41
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #42
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Failed 29 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
1. I'd recommend you check your sources. Gas can be charged tax AND duties

2. I don't fully disagree with your safety concerns, but jerry cans are made specifically for gas to minimize fuel evaporation and withstand some level of physical abuse. It's not like people are filling empty milk jugs with gas.
Here's my source, but correct me if i'm not reading it correctly, please!
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...9/ch27-eng.pdf

edit: section 27-4
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #43
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
i go and fill up 4 jerry cans all the time. the larger sized ones. forget what L or G they are but i just toss them in my trunk. sometimes i declare them, sometimes i tell the guards i got gas - which still isn't a lie. never had any problems, but i usually go when i know there isn't going to be any traffic or lineups anywhere - in other words, in the wee hours of the morning
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #44
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
Here's my source, but correct me if i'm not reading it correctly, please!
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com...9/ch27-eng.pdf

edit: section 27-4
I was always under the impression that there was some duty associated with gas, which your list shows is not the case.

However these are the taxes applicable to gas which CBSA is entitled to collect if they so choose:

British Columbia
36.508¢
GST + Includes carbon tax of 5.56 ¢/L as of July 1, 2011 (scheduled to rise to 6.95 ¢/L on July 1, 2012).
Canada Gasoline Tax Information - Ontario Gas Prices
Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #45
G'd up! w000weee

Failed 46 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
I just bring a 25L with me occasionally.
Going through the border I just say "Just went down to get gas"... so i guess it's ambiguous enough lol
This response to a CBSA officer is perfectly fine
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #46
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 148 Times in 32 Posts
i got get gas about every 3 weeks with 2 big jerry cans, I think based on current gas prices, I save around $25 give or take, but I would make it worth it by picking up some stuff I ordered from TSB even though it takes me about 30 mins to get there
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #47
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Fuck, so many good threads lately.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #48
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
Failed 1,002 Times in 133 Posts
I LOL AT YOU for making POOR FINANCIAL DECISIONS! if you really want to be economical conservative, u should buy a 1993 civic for $2000. Here's some basic math, your civic (2006) up @ $15,000. 15,000-2000= $13,000 you are left with 13 grand to spend on gas for the next 4-6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d87c View Post
Every time you fill up in the States Vs Canada, you saved about $10~$15

It adds up.

You fill up 3 times in the States, the next tank is pretty much free. In Canada is the same as filling 4.

Doesn't matter what car you drive. Would you rather pay buy 3 get 1 free or buy 4

Not everyone born into a rich family, but we do what we can to save up.

I lol at you for having poor financial planning on some of the basic you can save up.

Every dollar adds up, and even every penny adds up.

Have you ever seen the movie where this guy stole a penny from every bank accounts which in the ends it adds up to more than a Million dollar

However, if you are some one who depends on your family's money, I lol at you for failing in life

Last edited by Bahhbeehhaaaa; 03-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,225 Times in 609 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
After reading this thread... I feel like I want to point out that the op did ask a pretty legitimate question, regardless of his financial planing, I don't understand why everyone is bitching at him. It's his choice..l and come on.. He pays for everything himself...and I think that is pretty boss... Considering I am older and still living at home.... So whatever.. If you got the answer to his question... Answer op.. If not than just go on....

/end rant

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #50
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
just went down tonight. didn't bring jerry cans. price is 121.5 or somewhere in that rough ballpark

funny story, the border patrol on our side (a female too) asked me as she handed me back my passports - "is this the genesis?"

was pretty surprised
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote