REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 109 Posts
Random Reno stuff

Wow...H&HR kind of dropped off. Time for a build thread!

This shit is way old, but kind of cool.

A client wanted a way to mount a flat screen above the fireplace without being able to see the brackets and wires.

Here is kind of a before. There was homemade mantle around the fireplace.

So, after pushing some lines around, this is what we came up with:

Here is a in process picture.

And the finished product. The client actually took the sketchup drawing and went so far as to plan out tile placement so the guy that actually did the tiles just had to cut and glue.

For actually mounting the tv, I had my electrician come and run all the wires and put in the plug. Then, I made a plywood plug for the tv hole that was glued, screwed and anchored to the metal studs. I pity the foo that tries to remove it. I really didn't want to buy him a new tv.

The new mantle piece is actually flooring material which was a bitch to work with.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
I don't get it

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
great job, nicely planned and executed.

I'm wanting a similar look, nice and clean, but may i ask, where did you put the cablebox and dvd player?. I don't know much about this stuff, but do you have to get a real long hdmi cable to connect cablebox to tv as well?
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Looks good. The one thing I'd do if I was your client is remove that light fixture, doesn't look like it serves any purpose. Worst case scenario remove it and add some pot lights.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Failed 95 Times in 35 Posts
^ looks like a condo, so probably can't put pot lights if it's slab right above.

Nice job though. I agree that the light fixture just doesn't look right there, but there really aren't many options for lower profile fixtures.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Wires and cable box:

We put in a conduit that runs out to the side of the fireplace. Unfortunately, this whole thing backs onto the kitchen, so we were limited on where exactly things could go. The bracket he picked out for the tv also swings away and articulates, so you don't need to remove the tv to access the back ports.

Lighting: I think that was next on the menu. It's a concrete ceiling with applied texture, so pot lights are out. The entire lighting package in those apartments was horrible.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 23 Times in 3 Posts
That is very well done.
How much more work would it be to add a small spot light under the mantle peice to highlight the fireplace and perhaps one that would just barely light the wall behind the TV? I think that would be a nice feature.

I've shot a lot of houses and this a fireplace set up I would even want. Which says a lot because I'm not a fan of fireplaces especially the fake ones that are just a few lights in a black metal box that hangs on the wall like a picture frame and plugs in like a lamp.
CoLoRs Member #26
For Good or For Awesome?
Nismo200SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Adding more to the electrical isn't hard at all. As long as there is a power source that you can tap into, and its not overloading the circuit, you are good to go. You just need to have a junction box somewhere accessible to the room.

I just ask the client what they want, give my input and then repeat the instructions to my electrician(who is awesome ps, if anyone is ever in the need).

I totally agree with you that a little lighting improvements would have put that over the edge.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Dinasour's Bitch,

You know a great electrician but do you know a great handyman/carpenter type trade? I need a dishwasher properly installed, and I have granite counters which makes it a bit more challenging, so I have been told and also transistion strips screwed into concrete between my laminate and tile areas.

Few little things that around the place. Craigslist ads for handymen seeems like it could be a gamble.
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
I don't get it

Failed 27 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
Hey Dinasour's Bitch,

You know a great electrician but do you know a great handyman/carpenter type trade? I need a dishwasher properly installed, and I have granite counters which makes it a bit more challenging, so I have been told and also transistion strips screwed into concrete between my laminate and tile areas.

Few little things that around the place. Craigslist ads for handymen seeems like it could be a gamble.
For the transition strips just use PL construction adhesive from Home Depot
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote