REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #7251
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
The rubber grommet in the spark plug socket would get stuck on the spark plug when I install the new one. Then I figured out I could use the ignition coil to suction the other grommet out.
Next time, use some spare heater hose to install the spark plug, instead of the spark plug socket. Slide the heater hose onto the spark plug, and use that to hand spin it into the spark plug hole.

Quote:
But everything is still fucked.

The old sparkplug in cylinder 2 is stuck and wont come out, i snapped a bolt for the ignition coil on cylinder 1, and now i dropped my 1/4 ratchet with the 10mm on it on my engine splash tray
Lol, welcome to working on your own cars!

Spray the stuck plug with penetrating oil, let it sit overnight, and try again. Repeat as necessary until the plug loosens up. When you install the new plugs, coat the threads with anti-seize compound.

For the broken bolt, you're going to need someone with some more experience I suspect. It will need to be drilled and tapped.

As for the dropped socket and extension...you will soon learn that it is ALWAYS the 10mm that you lose.

Quote:
Also does anyone know if the grounding wire goes before the ignition coil or just in between the bolt and ignition coil?
You removed all the ignition coils at once, didn't you? Whenever you work on a car for the first time, and even after you're well experienced, always do one complete assembly, and then the next. It allows you to dig into the next one to find what you've forgotten. Twenty years I've been working on cars, and I still do one side of a car for drum brakes, before starting on the other side...Lets me see how the springs "should be".

For your grounding wire, it should most likely go on top of the coil. So:

Bolt
Ground Strap
Coil
Head

-Dave
Advertisement
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #7252
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Dave gives good advice. If your going to continue working on your cars, a magnetic wand is super handy as you will continue to drop shit everywhere. Little mirrors on a stick are awesome too.

As for the ground strap, it shouldn't really matter as long as all the pieces are conductive and there isn't corrosion. Another tip in putting the puzzle back together is you may find wesr marks on the individual pieces. Like the ground strap has a bigger terminal then the bolt head. If the top of the coil has wesr marks on the top which are bigger then the bolt head then the ground strap was probably on top. Check both sides.

Technology is great these days. Do as Dave says and take one thing apart at a time. If not possible take a biz zillion photos label everything. Once you get into deep dirty projects that never end you will be grateful for the huge amount of time it takes to label things properly.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #7253
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,921 Times in 761 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
Experimented with ghetto tire shine / Walmart brand "TUFF STUFF" lol. not bad... looked good for a few days until the damn rain hit. (2-pack $11.97)

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #7254
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
My instinct would be that the ground strap goes on top, unless there's an indent in the cover or the coil, the coil would sit lopsided if it had the ground under one side and didn't have a washer or something on the other.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #7255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
Experimented with ghetto tire shine / Walmart brand "TUFF STUFF" lol. not bad... looked good for a few days until the damn rain hit. (2-pack $11.97)
I'm tempted to fail you, but only because I HATE the "wet-look"...

:P
Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #7256
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
bic baws - don't set the gap on Iridium sparks plugs, they come pre-gapped and trying to set the gap will mess it up or break the tip.

Dave always gives great advice, and I'm like him too. Been wrenching for years, but I'll always work on one thing at a time. He gave a great example with the brakes. Do one side first and then if something isn't working or doesn't line up or whatever, you can always reference the other side to see what's up.

Another valuable tool for us guys who wrench a lot is to use manufactures parts websites. I'm a Honda guy, so I use Majestic Honda, but they're pretty much all the same. You can go online and see a broken down view of how things go together. It doesn't always show everything, but usually give you a really good idea of how parts go together.

Here's an example pic from majestic honda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20171020-125446.jpg (119.2 KB, 0 views)
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #7257
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
^ I've been screwed by those diagrams before. Trying to put the rear end of my Celica back together going off of the diagram and nothing was lining up. I kept swapping suspension arms around and trying all sorts of things to no avail. Finally I hopped on the forums and asked wtf I was doing wrong. It turned out the diagram showed the calipers on the wrong side (front instead of rear) and so I was trying to put the hubs on the wrong sides of the car. Once I found that out I tried putting them on the correct sides and things went together much better.

Tl;dr - parts diagrams are helpful but your own pictures are better.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #7258
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
I'm free tomorrow. If you're still stuck I can swing by. PM me?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #7259
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 45 Times in 6 Posts
Got new snow tires mounted on stock rims. Nokian Nordman 7 Studless.

ijaz_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #7260
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post

I'm a noob at wrenching, but not at detailing. Unless you were actually going for the wet look, give these a shot: http://everythingcarcare.com/?product=tire-dressing

Gives it a nice deep shine, nothing too glossy, but definitely eliminates the old tire look

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #7261

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
Spray the stuck plug with penetrating oil, let it sit overnight, and try again. Repeat as necessary until the plug loosens up. When you install the new plugs, coat the threads with anti-seize compound.

For the broken bolt, you're going to need someone with some more experience I suspect. It will need to be drilled and tapped.

As for the dropped socket and extension...you will soon learn that it is ALWAYS the 10mm that you lose.

You removed all the ignition coils at once, didn't you?

-Dave
Thanks for the great advice, Dave! People like you make this forum great! Yep I removed everything at once, and left it for about a week.. so after finishing PS this weekend, I gotta figure out how to put the car back together. However, I did get a Bentley repair manual.

So I sprayed the sparkplug with PB blaster, then I realized the issue. Last week, I lost the rubber grommet in the socket. Just now, I found it. I realize why it didn't grip, it's cause the grommet was still on the spark plug LOL.

Also here's a picture of my stupidity and broken bolt. Yikes.

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 10-21-2017 at 10:50 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #7262

Lol, I think we've all done that at some point.

For that broken bolt, you're lucky that you broke it off with something to grab. I'll bet with a little bit of heat it will twist right out. Sometimes, after breaking the head off, the tension in the threads is released and they spin right out without heat.

-Dave
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #7263
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
You lucked out for sure. This was the exhaust stud on my 911...

Had to drill it out, upside down under the car, whilst making sure I was perfectly centred and not nick the cylinder head lest I want to drop the engine and replace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fotor_149241753811845.jpg (219.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #7264

I got very lucky indeed, thank god. Bolt came out with several different pliers as it was a hard area to use pliers in. I ended up just threading it out by hand. Also got spark plug 2 out by pushing out the new rubber in the socket and using the rubber-less socket to get it. But I couldn't figure out how to put a new one back in without the rubber, otherwise it'd just slide off. I ended up just putting the new rubber back in, as I didn't have the correct size of heater hose, and used the ignition coil to suction the rubber out.

I'm glad this nightmare is over. I'm very appreciative of all the advice that Dave and others has given me, as well as Skunkworkz for offering to give me a hand.

Now onto the next fix, power steering.

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 10-21-2017 at 10:50 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #7265
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Spent the last few days driving to work and back not being able to see a damn thing out the back because rainwater would just build up and not bead. I took a little time this morning doing the full Rain-X treatment to get some visibility back, and to keep the inside glass from fogging so easily.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #7266
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
ah.

That Dare sticker.

I see you are also a man of culture.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #7267

Got together with a couple of friends and tried to get power steering hose off. It's not happening. Got the winters put on and new lugs tho, but realized that one of winters has a slash in the side wall :/ received_10213050275306281.jpg

This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #7268
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
ah.

That Dare sticker.

I see you are also a man of culture.
That smile was to be protected!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:01 PM   #7269
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Spent the last few days driving to work and back not being able to see a damn thing out the back because rainwater would just build up and not bead. I took a little time this morning doing the full Rain-X treatment to get some visibility back, and to keep the inside glass from fogging so easily.

Let me know how the antifog works? Been contemplating it for the hatch, just not sure if it's worth the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #7270

^^ Doesn't work in the beetles...and there is no worse vehicle on the road for fogging than a classic Beetle.

I can remember fighting my sister to sit in the front seat when we were kids, because the passenger gets to scrape the ice off the INSIDE of the windshield as you drive!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #7271

Also would not generously apply it. I've had streaking issues with that anti fog. I'm actually starting to move away from rain-x products, as there's a lot more glare. There's a 303 product that I use for my windshield, if I can find the name, I'll update.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #7272
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,431 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
i use this method back in the day for my car cause it didnt have ac and would fog up during the colder months
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #7273
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the fogging because of moisture trapped inside the cabin of the car?
I've put these things in my dad's car and this thing is filled with water after several months, so it seems to work well. only costs $1.25
Hard part is keeping it in an upright position while driving

https://www.dollartree.com/assets/pr...rge/160017.jpg
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #7274
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Best anti fog is finding all the leaks in the cabin. Then cabin air on fresh vs recirculate.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #7275
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Best antifog is clean windows, moisture trap and AC

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote