REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-25-2024, 04:27 PM   #9876
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Unfortunately since we bought a trailer I don't really have the space to comfortably have a third vehicle again, so either the Celica or the Grand Cherokee would have to go. If it was just up to me I'd have like 6 cars lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
IS300/Altezza is hardly a tin can, my buddy who owns a bodyshop always bitches at me whenever I brought mine in for anything because he said it's like a double redundancy Corolla on wheels... everything he'd have to do to take apart a Corolla he has to do twice on the IS300 and with twice as many bolts/screws/whatever built in.
By modern standards it kinda is, it's still a 3000lb car designed in the mid 90's. Though it looks like they crash tested the IS back in 2002 and it did better than it's rivals from the era. I don't know if they changed anything vs the early ones or vs the Altezza but I'd want a later one either way.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 04:31 PM   #9877
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Yes that kona N is absolutely bonkers.

Gti is a mild hatch. Not even spicy. Just like white guy spicy. Kona N is fucking Korean spicy on steroids.

Only problem with Kona N is the transmission is slow. Pop a downshift. Wait a sec and then hear it go bahahhhpapappapaapa. If you don’t like farts. Don’t get a Kona N

If I’d known about the Kona N, I might have taken a second look at it. However no Manuel and that horrible brand association (wife won’t let me buy a Hyundai) ultimately makes it a challenging choice.

Plus it doesn’t help it’s much more expensive than the GTI due to god awful residuals

P.s don’t be a prejudice retard like me. Go give the N products a try. You’ll be blown away. I had a shit faced grin the entire time I was driving that thing. When I drive my German sausage I have a stout look of moody disappointment. Germans don’t like fun ja? Plus you wanna pay special VW oil and 31 dollar filters ?!? Huh ?!? Do ya ?!?

Last edited by Badhobz; 06-25-2024 at 04:42 PM.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2024, 04:42 PM   #9878
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
The new Golf R 8.5 is out.

trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 04:49 PM   #9879

Barely looks any different. No Manuel too. Boooo stupid ! Boooooo !!!

Giant tablet looks even dumber than the current.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:30 PM   #9880

I personally dig the new tablets in cars. The display is nice and crispy.
Old 06-25-2024, 05:52 PM   #9881
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,538 Times in 577 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Replaced the leaking water pump/thermostat on my MK7 Sportwagen a couple of weeks ago.

Pain in the ass. Book time is supposed to be 4-5 hours. The videos make it look so easy: https://youtu.be/qloWwsxK-nw

Took me two days, including removal of the intake manifold. Had to buy a crows foot wrench set to re-tighten the high pressure fuel line that I had to remove. Fuel leaked everywhere when I started the car initially and my garage smelled for a few days.

I have way more appreciation for BMW engineering after working on a VW/Audi product.
Oh hell naw fuck that. I'll let someone else deal with that headache

I can't believe you have to go through all that just to access the water pump.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023 (sold)

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT) (sold)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020 (sold)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 06:17 PM   #9882
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,292 Times in 2,058 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
The new Golf R 8.5 is out.
Hideous looking wheels on the blue version Golf R ... don't care that they are forged, just ugly!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 09:32 PM   #9883
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks quite good blacked out

And the wagon guise is just
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 10:10 PM   #9884
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,292 Times in 2,058 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
yah, will give you that. Blacked out version of wheels is 100x better than silver ones!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 10:11 PM   #9885
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,580 Times in 1,165 Posts
Failed 68 Times in 23 Posts
but we'll never see the wagon here =(
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2024, 10:49 PM   #9886
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
but we'll never see the wagon here =(
By the time Trollface gets around to buying a R, the MK7.5 R wagon would be legal to import.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 05:50 AM   #9887

That blacked out one looks just like my blacked out one. I can’t even tell the difference.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:54 AM   #9888

Buy some Lasik for your eyes bro.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:03 AM   #9889

No you !! NO YOU !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
I personally dig the new tablets in cars. The display is nice and crispy.
Just like yerrrr face !!!!!!

This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2024, 08:25 AM   #9890
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
More evidence that upgrades were needed. I had to very slowly get this bolt going with an open ended wrench at a funky angle, until it was clear of the bent lip and I could get a socket on it.

New crossmember and skidplate in. tbh I'm not entirely sure why they go through the hassle to make a whole new crossmember, adjust the bracket a bit and you could just bolt the ends under the stock one and save a lot of hassle and expense.

Part of the install requires drilling holes to pass the flag nuts through. I didn't have a hole saw in that size, and I didn't feel like buying a whole kit, so I bought just the one size I need. The crossmember has a hole the same size so no center bit needed. So I slapped this bolt in which let me use my impact to do it. Definitely a little sketchy but very effective.

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2024, 07:20 AM   #9891
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Oil change on the Corolla iM today using the correct filter.
Following up to the oil change I did a week or two ago.

The oil change was due as per maintenance schedule (8000KM or 6 months, whichever comes first.) This was in preparation for a road trip my wife and I just got back from. We went to the following places:
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Williamstown, KY
  • Richmond, KY
  • Corbin, KY
  • Columbus, OH
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Cleveland, OH

Overall, an interesting road trip in the Corolla iM. My wife and I took turns driving. We left at around midnight last Friday in order to beat the rush of traffic along the 401 towards the Detroit/Windsor border and arrived at Cincinnati at around 10am or so (with some breaks in between.)

The weather was hot as hell as there was a hot spell coming through the mid west, up into Toronto/Great Lakes area. We stopped along random gas stations along the interstate freeway, such as Loves, Buc'ees (Richmond, KY) for washroom breaks, quick snacks, and to fuel up. My wife joked that this was like the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Lots of very friendly American folk, great southern hospitality the further south we went, and polarizing views on abortion, gun control, politics, religion, and issues like gay rights etc. People really make their opinions known out this way.

No real photos of particular interest except for the Cincinnati Reds vs. Boston Red Sox game we went to see at the Great American Ball Park in Cincinatti, and homage to Badhobz where we went to the Harland Sanders Cafe and Museum in Corbin, KY. Fun fact - There was an Indian family in the parking lot. I didn't pick a fight with them because they didn't steal our parking spot.

There was a flash flood on our way from Cleveland towards the Pennsylvania border. It got pretty scary as rain would just envelop your car and you could NOT see in front of you. Took us a while to get back home but otherwise, saw a Subaru and GTI pulled over to the side of the road (premonition for Badhobz?) All in all, good road trip. Never seen as many Toyota Avalons and Solaras in my life. 2600KM later, the Corolla holds up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2024, 07:24 AM   #9892

Quote:
Fun fact - There was an Indian family in the parking lot. I didn't pick a fight with them because they didn't steal our parking spot.
Have I taught you nothing ?!?!!?!! Fight them !!!!!!

Corolla road trips are the best road trips. I wanna take the golf down for a road trip but it might leave me dead in crackville USA
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2024, 07:26 AM   #9893
RS Veteran

They had guns.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2024, 07:47 AM   #9894
RS Veteran

Quote:
Have I taught you nothing ?!?!!?!! Fight them !!!!!!

Corolla road trips are the best road trips. I wanna take the golf down for a road trip but it might leave me dead in crackville USA
My only real gripe (first world problem) is the engine's displacement. 1.8L CVT isn't all that fun or safe when you're trying to merge onto the Interstate freeway and you've got an 18-wheeler coming up to the side of you at 85MPH.

I checked my tire pressure along the way, and with the heat wave, the tire pressures spiked to 40psi, whereas I left Toronto with 33psi as per factory recommendation.

A few things we learned on this road trip:
1. We can road trip in this car - We need to make it work
2. It's nice to have a bigger car or at least a car with more displacement/power. Would be more comfortable too.
3. Confirmed we don't need an SUV, despite popular demand. I've always been anti-SUV (nothing against anyone who owns one or in the market for one.)

Given this experience, we will attempt to drive to the Maritimes later this summer during back-to-school season. We've always wanted to visit the Maritimes, and felt driving was the best way to explore the country and the other side of Canada.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2024, 08:58 AM   #9895
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Yes that kona N is absolutely bonkers.

Gti is a mild hatch. Not even spicy. Just like white guy spicy. Kona N is fucking Korean spicy on steroids.

Only problem with Kona N is the transmission is slow. Pop a downshift. Wait a sec and then hear it go bahahhhpapappapaapa. If you don’t like farts. Don’t get a Kona N

If I’d known about the Kona N, I might have taken a second look at it. However no Manuel and that horrible brand association (wife won’t let me buy a Hyundai) ultimately makes it a challenging choice.

Plus it doesn’t help it’s much more expensive than the GTI due to god awful residuals

P.s don’t be a prejudice retard like me. Go give the N products a try. You’ll be blown away. I had a shit faced grin the entire time I was driving that thing. When I drive my German sausage I have a stout look of moody disappointment. Germans don’t like fun ja? Plus you wanna pay special VW oil and 31 dollar filters ?!? Huh ?!? Do ya ?!?
Should've gotten the Veloster N or Elantra N, surprisingly so fun for what it is.

I really liked the GTI over the R though. Felt more fun for some reason.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 10:17 AM   #9896

Quote:
My only real gripe (first world problem) is the engine's displacement. 1.8L CVT isn't all that fun or safe when you're trying to merge onto the Interstate freeway and you've got an 18-wheeler coming up to the side of you at 85MPH.

I checked my tire pressure along the way, and with the heat wave, the tire pressures spiked to 40psi, whereas I left Toronto with 33psi as per factory recommendation.

A few things we learned on this road trip:
1. We can road trip in this car - We need to make it work
2. It's nice to have a bigger car or at least a car with more displacement/power. Would be more comfortable too.
3. Confirmed we don't need an SUV, despite popular demand. I've always been anti-SUV (nothing against anyone who owns one or in the market for one.)

Given this experience, we will attempt to drive to the Maritimes later this summer during back-to-school season. We've always wanted to visit the Maritimes, and felt driving was the best way to explore the country and the other side of Canada.
Why can't you roadtrip in it? We had the same Corolla iM model in Australia and we road tripped in that one. Agreed the 1.8 CVT is weak but mine was a different problem, it had no power in the twisties and the passing zones aren't long enough for it to pick up speed when the bus or RV ahead of you would not slow down so you can get ahead of them.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:21 AM   #9897
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Why can't you roadtrip in it? We had the same Corolla iM model in Australia and we road tripped in that one. Agreed the 1.8 CVT is weak but mine was a different problem, it had no power in the twisties and the passing zones aren't long enough for it to pick up speed when the bus or RV ahead of you would not slow down so you can get ahead of them.
We originally thought we would need more space to pack stuff we wanted to bring, and really, it boiled down to whether or not it could keep up on the twisties and the passing zones. You're dead spot on with lack of power. Merging and the rolling hills going through Ohio and Pennsylvania was a challenge, and you really had to give it all in order to keep up with the pick up trucks, SUVs, and big rig trucks.
Quote:
Old 06-27-2024, 10:24 AM   #9898

Quote:
We originally thought we would need more space to pack stuff we wanted to bring, and really, it boiled down to whether or not it could keep up on the twisties and the passing zones. You're dead spot on with lack of power. Merging and the rolling hills going through Ohio and Pennsylvania was a challenge, and you really had to give it all in order to keep up with the pick up trucks, SUVs, and big rig trucks.
I think the benefit for us in Australia is, well, it's Australia.

They are less insane on the highway because their road rules are stricter than most of North America. Typically the follow a similar car buying pattern as Europe where most cars are of the less power variant. In North America, anything less than 200hp is detrimentally slow nowadays unless you are driving something like a Mini or Fiat 500.

Space wasn't an issue for two adults and we fit our two suitcases in the trunk no problem, that left the back seat for all the regular road trip junk like food and jackets and other garbage.

We'd probably be ok road tripping in a 911 if it's the two of us.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:30 AM   #9899
RS Veteran

We packed two small duffel bags with our stuff, and two coolers. One to keep drinks cold with ice packs, and the other one with food/snacks such as fruit and whatever.

We ended up buying stuff along the way, so space was definitely not an issue. I think more honestly, security was the major concern as we didn't want stuff sitting visible in the back seat. Trunk was fine because it has the trunk/privacy cover.
Quote:
Old 06-27-2024, 12:54 PM   #9900
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 187 Posts
Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Why can't you roadtrip in it?
I just did 3345km in my MR2 over 5 days, and it was fine... mostly fine.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: