REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-18-2024, 09:55 PM   #10026
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mind sharing how much the detail and ceramic cost you?
Advertisement
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 07:02 AM   #10027
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
About 2k. He's using a a product called SystemX. He's the same guy that PPFed the M3 and it's been 6 years.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2024, 08:04 AM   #10028
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
2k for essentially a wax ?!?!? Holy fuck

You know that ceramic coating is piss easy to apply and since your school bus is essentially new …there isn’t much, if any, paint correction needed. You basically giving him free money. You can buy a bottle of CSL for like 120 bucks and we could have done it in like an hour.

That crystal shifter has gone to your head
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-19-2024, 08:32 AM   #10029

I buy into the ceramic thing, and this included a full detail. The car's paint was actually in poor shape despite being only 2.5 years old. The M3 has had it's ceramic done at the same time the wrap was done and it's held up the 6 years, so I'm drinking the coolaid.

The brand/quality of the ceramic and quality of the work matters as well. I've had some less stellar experiences with the X3
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2024, 08:49 AM   #10030
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
2k for essentially a wax ?!?!? Holy fuck

You know that ceramic coating is piss easy to apply and since your school bus is essentially new …there isn’t much, if any, paint correction needed. You basically giving him free money. You can buy a bottle of CSL for like 120 bucks and we could have done it in like an hour.

That crystal shifter has gone to your head
Hard disagree on this. Most new cars have terrible paint quality from the factory and it's even worse when the dealer's shop boys have taken their hard bristle brushes to them for a PDI wash. For example, Burrard Acura apparently takes their cars through the automated wash next door - that's just abuse and it'll take a 2 stage polish to get it right. I got a wash from Brian Jessel Pre-owned once and it was so bad I made them paint correct my car due to the damage.

The $2k gets you two things that you otherwise can't get when you DIY:

1. Pro level paint correction. I can get 80% of the way on my own but it's hard work and the pro's have the gear to get to all the hard to reach spots and small spots that I can't get to or can't do well.
2. Pro grade coatings. The pro grade stuff is a lot more durable than the consumer grade stuff and performs better in terms of self cleaning and beading qualities. CSL is one of the few exceptions for durability for a consumer grade product.

It's not worth $2k to everyone (just like I wouldn't get PPF) but with the right detailer it's way better than anything DIY.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2024, 09:18 AM   #10031

you should have spent 4k more and put on PPF or a wrap. yeah ceramic coating makes washing easier, but so does a bottle of ceramic spray wax and reapplication every time you wash.

at least with ppf / wrap you get rock protection. this tiny bottle of ceramic coating always feels like such a huge rip off. especially when they charge you like 1k for the ceramic coating and no detailing.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:50 AM   #10032

Quote:
you should have spent 4k more and put on PPF or a wrap. yeah ceramic coating makes washing easier, but so does a bottle of ceramic spray wax and reapplication every time you wash.

at least with ppf / wrap you get rock protection. this tiny bottle of ceramic coating always feels like such a huge rip off. especially when they charge you like 1k for the ceramic coating and no detailing.
I think PPF is great but my car isn't worth enough for PFF and it's not driven enough for it either. If I had a $125k car I would consider it but even then I'd only do it if I was going to drive it a lot or track it.

Ceramic spray wax gets you only some of the benefits of a pro coating - they both are easier to wash but one stays cleaner for longer, resists bird shit way better, has much better gloss, and resists paint damage (swirls etc) far longer. I'm 5 years in and my coating has kept the paint at showroom quality (other than few dings). It's not possible to do that with a ceramic spray.

re: $1k for a coating with no detailing - anyone doing that is stupid or getting ripped off. The money spent on getting a pro to do the coating is in the paint correction and prep - the good ones will spend 8-10 hours on that. Applying the coating is the easy part.

Considering the time it takes to DIY paint correct and the quality I get from it versus a pro the $2k for a coating is minor stuff - I can't justify spending 12 hours of my own time to do it.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2024, 10:17 AM   #10033

Quote:

The pro level coatings and consumer grade coatings are not the same, nevermind the spray wax BS.

On top of that, I don't have time to dedicate to it nor do I have the machine, my polisher broke and I never replaced it. I used to detail on the side during school so I'm also super picky about shit and this guy is worth my money.

He polished the X5 before coating it. I was actually going to PPF it, but he looked at it and told me, I want to make your money, but it's not going to be great because the X5 was from Langley and lived it's life on the highway, there's enough pitting and chips to make PPF not make sense.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2024, 10:42 AM   #10034

Ohhh if it’s already chipped then yeah no point.
Old 07-19-2024, 01:11 PM   #10035
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The pro level coatings and consumer grade coatings are not the same, nevermind the spray wax BS.

On top of that, I don't have time to dedicate to it nor do I have the machine, my polisher broke and I never replaced it. I used to detail on the side during school so I'm also super picky about shit and this guy is worth my money.

He polished the X5 before coating it. I was actually going to PPF it, but he looked at it and told me, I want to make your money, but it's not going to be great because the X5 was from Langley and lived it's life on the highway, there's enough pitting and chips to make PPF not make sense.
Maybe I missed it but which guy you go to?

Do you do anything special to upkeep the finish on your own? Like do you still do extra steps such as 2 bucket wash etc... or just sponge and soap or... shudder... automatic car washes???
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 02:39 PM   #10036

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

Do you do anything special to upkeep the finish on your own? Like do you still do extra steps such as 2 bucket wash etc... or just sponge and soap or... shudder... automatic car washes???
All of those things lol.

For the first two years I sent it back to the original detailer for the coating for a refresh. He closed shop and moved away and I haven't done anything to the car since.

Zero upkeep on the M3. If I have time I'll single bucket wash the car with a grit guard. If I'm strapped for time or lazy then I'll just foam it and spray it off. If I really don't want to do it then I'll take it to Mobil1 on No5 and Bridgeport.

The guy that did the X5 did the PPF on the M3, now he does coatings as well so I sent him the X5 for inside/outside. He also does installs so he installed the hitch and he arranged for it to be tinted as well. He also removed the rear fender flare and sent it off to get painted because my wife shaved off the paint against our parking gate. Obviously all extra cost.
Old 07-19-2024, 03:40 PM   #10037

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

Not EvoFire but I have 3 types of washing I do to upkeep my ceramic coated car that might be useful for consideration:

1. Twice a year coating maintenance wash and deep clean - strip wash with CarPro Descale, decontamination with IronX, foam cannon soak and then 1 bucket wash with 4-5 mitts. Tires are cleaned with Retyre, wheels get the IronX treatment. Ceramic topper as part of drying process on everything. I'll also clean out the engine bay and do all the door frames etc with a soft bristle brush. This is a 3-4 hour job.

2. Summer wash is a foam cannon soak followed by a 1 bucket with 4-5 mitts wash (dirty mitts go into another bucket). Wheels first - they're ceramic coated too I use the same cleaner but in a separate bucket. This is a 1 hour job most days.

3. Winter wash is an ONR wash with a big red sponge. I'll do this during the summer if the car isn't too dirty or I'm lazy as I can bang it out in less than 20 mins if needed. I will use a touchless car wash if the car is really dirty and then do the ONR wash after.

I would love to have the time put the whole car up on the jacks and take the wheels off so I can clean all the wheel wells and suspension parts properly.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2024, 10:45 PM   #10038
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 232 Posts
Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
also just sharing how i upkeep my cars

daily driver, parked outside, dying ceramic coat:
hand wash twice a month using 1 bucket no grit guard and 10+ microfiber towels. foam cannon presoak followed by washing each panel with a clean towel. wheel spokes are fat enough that i dont have to worry about cleaning the barrel and brake calipers. then dry using a leaf blower. takes about an hour.

2-3 times a week im taking a pressure washer to spray off bird shit and pollen/dust. takes 5mins max.

summer car, garage kept, freshly detailed no coating
the plan is to just pressure washer spray whenever needed then deep clean before fall storage.
Old 07-21-2024, 03:25 PM   #10039
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Man you guys are detailed (no pun intended)
I just use whatever cleaning products on sale at Costco in the automotive aisle lmao
noclue is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2024, 10:52 AM   #10040

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
What kind of shower gel do you guys use in the shower? Any coating recommendations?

2-3 times a week?
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #10041
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,921 Times in 761 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
best place to get a battery nowadays? all this AGM crap has totally increased prices - is costco still a good deal? may attempt DIY .

Acura OEM AGM battery $450.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 10:55 AM   #10042
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I always like Edmonds Batteries in Burnaby, bought probably 10 of them for my own and other people's cars over the years, no complaints
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 11:14 AM   #10043
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
is costco still a good deal?
How dare you even ask!?!??!?!

Paging Badhobz!
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-23-2024 at 02:13 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2024, 01:44 PM   #10044

Thanked 1,370 Times in 462 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
What kind of shower gel do you guys use in the shower? Any coating recommendations?

2-3 times a week?
LMAO I have the Le Labo, Aesop, etc all that

My fav is the Harry's Redwood body wash - it smells exactly like Le Labo's Hinoki but has a really nice/soft/thicc lather compared to the very lightweight feeling gel from Le Labo.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 02:18 PM   #10045

You guys use stuff other than bars of Irish Spring?
Old 07-23-2024, 02:36 PM   #10046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
best place to get a battery nowadays? all this AGM crap has totally increased prices - is costco still a good deal? may attempt DIY .

Acura OEM AGM battery $450.
Omg omg omg !!! You run the battery for however long. Go return it when it dies and you get your money back (pro rated)

What do you mean is it a good deal ?!?! You find me another AgM for that price
Old 07-23-2024, 02:39 PM   #10047

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Speaking of ppf, do your detailers do minor paint repairs, like chips, dents? Minor touch ups. There's no point of fancy ceramic or wrap if the paint has some damage but not to a point where you need full repaint.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 06:01 PM   #10048

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
LMAO I have the Le Labo, Aesop, etc all that

My fav is the Harry's Redwood body wash - it smells exactly like Le Labo's Hinoki but has a really nice/soft/thicc lather compared to the very lightweight feeling gel from Le Labo.
Do you have a good soap guy?
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 06:27 PM   #10049

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Speaking of ppf, do your detailers do minor paint repairs, like chips, dents? Minor touch ups. There's no point of fancy ceramic or wrap if the paint has some damage but not to a point where you need full repaint.
My guy doesn't advertise that he does minor paint repairs though I'd bet he can handle stuff like applying touchup paint as the process is inline with paint correction work anyways. I don't believe he does dent repairs though. (https://www.rdidetailing.ca)
Old 07-23-2024, 08:51 PM   #10050

Thanked 1,370 Times in 462 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Do you have a good soap guy?
Ya he goes by target,

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴