REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,580 Times in 1,165 Posts
Failed 68 Times in 23 Posts
it'd be cool to have a Wekfest or a Slammed Society sort of event in Vancouver but it'd be expensive to finance and I don't think there's a lot of places that would allow the space for it. I think its hard even for RS to secure a lot big enough for the summer meets.

Its strange though when we go down to the US and there's so many car events, practically every 1 or 2 weeks there's a show during the Spring/Summer. I'm not sure if the car culture down there is more open to shows but its quite different.

I do like the casual spring/summer meets at Marine and Byrne though. Fun times to just chill out with friends and check out cars and enjoy the weather. Looking forward to better weather ahead =)
Advertisement
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 300 Times in 63 Posts
Slammed society sounds pretty fucking homo.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #28
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Failed 75 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
it'd be cool to have a Wekfest or a Slammed Society sort of event in Vancouver but it'd be expensive to finance and I don't think there's a lot of places that would allow the space for it. I think its hard even for RS to secure a lot big enough for the summer meets.

Its strange though when we go down to the US and there's so many car events, practically every 1 or 2 weeks there's a show during the Spring/Summer. I'm not sure if the car culture down there is more open to shows but its quite different.

I do like the casual spring/summer meets at Marine and Byrne though. Fun times to just chill out with friends and check out cars and enjoy the weather. Looking forward to better weather ahead =)
I blame our 350 days of rain for the lack of shows.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #29
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
Slammed society sounds pretty fucking homo.
RicePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 29 Times in 5 Posts
i rather pay $50 to watch cars in motion like drag/drift/track etc
k20er is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Failed 722 Times in 154 Posts
i paid & went to dtp cuz of all guys from the states & alberta, to be honest not gonna bother with the fact that i have to pay to see cars that i could spotted on a daily basis or at our rs meets

if u want a big car show then just use the RS meets as a base im sure that might work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #32
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Failed 553 Times in 157 Posts
or we can do what freddie does... close off the street to do some street racing
Old 05-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #33

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Failed 571 Times in 114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
or we can do what freddie does... close off the street to do some street racing
then touch some hoses on camera
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #34
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 31 Times in 8 Posts
yes
yes
1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post

I agree! The scene is amazing down South. I think more people are into it because it's cheaper. Track days in Cali (for example) can be anywhere from $80-150 - we pay 2-3x that. Way more shops stocking parts and don't have to deal with cross border taxes and shipping costs. Not to mention cars in general are cheaper.

Nice to see people making an effort to push car culture locally (OP / art of stance / RS weekly meets etc). Hopefully, it catches on sooner rather than later...and less haters.
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #35
RS controls my life!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe its just me but personally I miss the days when there used to be actually REAL car shows. Organized, sponsored, INDOORS! Maybe I'm just old school LOL. The last successful event was '08 DTP. the DTP in 2011 was a epic fail as it did not have as many large sponsors, it was organized poorly, there was a horrible venue and even worse weather.

I've been in this car scene since '01 and have gone to all the events such as Import Fest, SCN, DTP etc. and I can actually say I had fun at these event. I think its great to see and admire and be inspired by peoples custom work and give people the opportunity show off their hard work. It's hard to compare a RS meet to a real show because its the caliber/quality of cars that show up. Don't get me wrong I think a lot of nice cars come out to the RS meets but there's a lot of nice hidden gems that reserve their showing for real events.

A lot of people here call themselves car enthusiasts but no one wants to see a car show? I dunno it just seemed like everyone stopped giving a crap. Wonder where things went wrong?
YaKuZa_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,522 Times in 1,717 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
I'm not against OP's intentions of creating an official, sponsored event. What I am against is the premise of his threads stating that the car scene is "dead".

While you cannot compare an official event to the weekly/monthly meets people create, it's still a slap to everyone's face when you say the car culture here is dead and yet.. here we are. Are we suddenly dead now? It's also insulting to all the hard work that the RS team (& volunteers) puts into setting up the Spring and Summer Meets.

There's also an heir of arrogance (whether intended or not) to the way you have presented your idea and this is why you are getting failed by many, many people.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #37
RS controls my life!

I think he was referring to the car show scene and not the scene in general. We went from having 2-3 per year to none is the last 4 years (excluding last DTP). If u look at threads years back people used to be so stoked for upcoming shows and now people are like "what?! $10 To watch a car show?" actual event did have DJs models such as Stephan Li, Misa Campo, Carolyn savage and even Tera Patrick and car clubs from US and across Canada would participate. It was quite something to remember.

I do agree the OP intentions were in the right spot but delivery could have been worded a bit better. But let's not try to bash a guy for trying to do something positiv for the car community.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 29 Times in 6 Posts
if your so called "large automotive event company from USA" found out about this thread, GAME OVER MAN!

FS: Jordan XX8, GMP Vi, AM1 Atmos Safari, bunch of Supreme stuff
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68857...2Arare%2A.html
daval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #39
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 2,489 Times in 834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_r View Post
omg is Arash is back ?
"Desperate"?....
No Arash is not back

well I technically am , when I finish my car I'll announce a meet to occupy Granville street.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #40
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS View Post
A lot of people here call themselves car enthusiasts but no one wants to see a car show? I dunno it just seemed like everyone stopped giving a crap. Wonder where things went wrong?
Don't take this the wrong way but perhaps many of us who grew up with all these car shows have also grown up as well.

Those of us who went to the old car shows from 2001 - 200x were part of the "scene" if you will and grew up with it. We went from modified Civics/CRX/Integra swaps, to SR20DET S14s, to monster 2JZ Supra motors, the VIP scene, the AWD Mitsubishi vs. Subaru wars, the Euro invasion, hot MR2s and the whole nine yards. We were all very fortunate to be part of that but keep in mind, we've all grown up (at least most of us.)

During the hiatus, more and more manufacturers were pushing out cars that exceeded what we once had. 240rwhp was the new laughing joke. Cars came with 300hp - stock! People moved away from modifying their cars to slapping on stickers and slamming their cars with some retarded-beyond-shit fitmet and whatnot. The demographic and market has changed (for better or worse - I don't know.) The change is inevitable and so will peoples demands. OPs intentions I'm sure were good but at the same time, it could have been positioned a lot better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-01-2012 at 10:47 PM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #41

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Failed 571 Times in 114 Posts
car scene is dead bro,

RS meet ran out of parking,

Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #42
10psi aint enough...

Failed 51 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but perhaps many of us who grew up with all these car shows have also grown up as well.

Those of us who went to the old car shows from 2001 - 200x were part of the "scene" if you will and grew up with it. We went from modified Civics/CRX/Integra swaps, to SR20DET S14s, to monster 2JZ Supra motors, the VIP scene, the AWD Mitsubishi vs. Subaru wars, the Euro invasion, hot MR2s and the whole nine yards. We were all very fortunate to be part of that but keep in mind, we've all grown up (at least most of us.)

During the hiatus, more and more manufacturers were pushing out cars that exceeded what we once had. 240rwhp was the new laughing joke. Cars came with 300hp - stock! People moved away from modifying their cars to slapping on stickers and slamming their cars with some retarded-beyond-shit fitmet and whatnot. The demographic and market has changed (for better or worse - I don't know.) The change is inevitable and so will peoples demands. OPs intentions I'm sure were good but at the same time, it could have been positioned a lot better.

Everything bcrdukes said is exactly what I would have said, too bad I dont know who to word it correctly like you lol...
All the tuners that participated and competed in early 1999 to 20xx has either turned away from modifying cause of older age, 30+, or the fact that most cars from manufacturers are 300 hp or more. If you were part of that older era, you would remember having 200hp was suffice or the challenge to get up to 200+ was the challenge. Anyone remember when b16a was offered in 1999 civic sir from honda with warranty? Hell...few of us purchased one and off to AJR for more jdm parts. BPT was another shop option as well as G5 and REV. These were the first few pioneers, and remember Evolution? Later it was Revolution...and off we went to Minnam for dyno tuning. We had Fields vtec controller, not apexi vafc, safc etc.... Certain car parts were not even available, either have to make a one-off piece or make due with whatever. Hell, not many ppl nowadays will rip apart their motor and build from ground up, neither have the know-how or experience from older tuners. Thats why I really respect ppl who still mod with their own 2 hands.
Although everything I say may be unheard of to some ppl, but if you were present during that era, we made the best of it.

Like you said, the current demographic / automotive styling has changed...I too am glad to see theres still active tuners making their car better and independent themed.

If OP ever gets a new show in Vancouver, I will still join and compete...if you dont mind my outdated car.

Last edited by HondaGuy; 05-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #43
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 530 Times in 136 Posts
I am content with annual rs summer meet.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #44
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 257 Times in 119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGuy View Post
Everything bcrdukes said is exactly what I would have said, too bad I dont know who to word it correctly like you lol...
All the tuners that participated and competed in early 1999 to 20xx has either turned away from modifying cause of older age, 30+, or the fact that most cars from manufacturers are 300 hp or more. If you were part of that older era, you would remember having 200hp was suffice or the challenge to get up to 200+ was the challenge. Anyone remember when b16a was offered in 1999 civic sir from honda with warranty? Hell...few of us purchased one and off to AJR for more jdm parts. BPT was another shop option as well as G5 and REV. These were the first few pioneers, and remember Evolution? Later it was Revolution...and off we went to Minnam for dyno tuning. We had Fields vtec controller, not apexi vafc, safc etc.... Certain car parts were not even available, either have to make a one-off piece or make due with whatever. Hell, not many ppl nowadays will rip apart their motor and build from ground up, neither have the know-how or experience from older tuners. Thats why I really respect ppl who still mod with their own 2 hands.
Although everything I say may be unheard of to some ppl, but if you were present during that era, we made the best of it.

Like you said, the current demographic / automotive styling has changed...I too am glad to see theres still active tuners making their car better and independent themed.

If OP ever gets a new show in Vancouver, I will still join and compete...if you dont mind my outdated car.
I remember all of this,knew many people who experienced what has been posted by you two,I went through some of it too,those were good times.A honourable mention from the blast,if you were into imports,the car to beat was the 5.0 mustang,if your 4 banger could outrun one of those on the street,it was considered fast.

Good times they were.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #45
DUHHH HELLLLLLLLLO

Failed 83 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
I guess we will hafto agree to disagree,

when I went to HIN few years, there were porn stars, and DJ's and even lil john showed up and performed, and the crowd was fuckin nuts! There was even a bikini contest. And the place was completely packed and sold out,

whereas our shows lose tons of money and cant get any reasonable celebraties or import models and no one shows up,

get the difference?

why would I pay 20 dollars to see cars that i've already seen at an RS meet?

Id rather pay 20 bucks to see them in a drifting, drag, road course event,
or pay 20 bucks to have a massive party where all those TV's and subwoofers can be put to some use.

fuck, id even pay 50 bucks if the summer RS meet was at mission, and we had the track reserved all day for us, thatd be way better!
Have to agree,
VW community have several Cruise/Show/Party events held annually
though it is out of Vancouver, still an event with booze and girls and what not

For Sale
BMW Multimedia cord for iDrive
GDchoi's Closet Cleanout
GDChoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,246 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
OP's writing style is really annoying and suggests that he is 12.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #47
degenerate extraordinaire

Failed 30 Times in 20 Posts
hahah back then was pretty sweet, you'd see the shop crews drive around as a group

you were always able to see AJR crew, Revolution crew and Stage Five in packs (and maybe even Vader LOL)

and then there were the odd shows like Boom!

The scene has changed, as previously mentioned, all the cars have greatly increased their power. Hell, these days random vans are faster than your slightly modified cars
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
RS controls my life!

bcrdukes and HondaGuy I agree with you guys to a point. Guys who experienced shows from 2000 and up did grow up and many have moved on but there's always a new generation. As years go on trends will always change but it will always be there. Take a look at AJR's GT-R or some of new modded Evo's. Who says you can supercharge a new c6 vette? I mean as far as time goes back as long as there's cars being made and men on this planet, guys will be doing things to customize them. Whether it be performance/handling, stereo or cosmetic. I mean there is still DTP and other shows still going across Canada and if you look at the US there are shows ALL the time. If what you say is true then car shows all over the world would just come to a halt. Its realistically just vanished from Vancouver. Believe me if DTP or SCN or something along those lines came to town it would be sold out . It's just that noone wants to sponsor these events here because everything in Vancouver is so friggin expensive. Which is why I guess DTP chose a smaller venue this past year.

Sure some cars come with 300hp factory these days but that has never really stopped us before. Even back in '94 the Supra TT was 280hp factory but never stopped people from customizing. But car shows are not all about HP. There's also still older cars like Datsuns and stuff who have been fully restored with SR or RB swaps, but you would not discard them from showing just because they're older. Same goes for not so new cars anymore like RX7's, NSX, Supra, drift cars, sport compacts and muscle. Just because they are not new cars doesn't mean you still cant appreciate hard work put into these cars. I was at Tokyo Auto Salon this past year and the shit just blew my mind. This is just a couple photos I snapped that I just thought I would share.

Gallery 1
Gallery 2
Gallery 3

Last edited by YaKuZa_GS; 05-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #49
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
My car just gets made fun of now no more shows for me.

Berz out.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #50
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,214 Times in 2,290 Posts
Failed 1,143 Times in 311 Posts
Recession + trends have changed

Also, our shows back in the day might be great, but if it loses money, its not comin back. Its a business at the end of the show.

I can bet u sponsors and vendors were cautious when dealing with last year's DTP from the track record this city has had with the scene
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote