REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #376
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Yaminashi View Post
Yep, I'm on the feels train too. Went with a buddy and came back at the end of May. I want to go back for a 3rd time. #JapanForever
I'm on the same train too. Three weeks back from my trip and I already can't wait to go back... but there are other places in the world to visit
Advertisement
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #377
How I Mod your mother

Failed 18 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN-2199 View Post
I'm on the same train too. Three weeks back from my trip and I already can't wait to go back... but there are other places in the world to visit
Not when there's real life mariokart!
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #378
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Not when there's real life mariokart!
Hopefully its still around the next time I make my way to Japan.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #379
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Just came back from Japan earlier today.

Thoughts? It's easy to solo travel throughout Japan.

I flew into Osaka, stayed for 2 nights - from Osaka, I checked out Nara and the deers & surrounding temples. The Earthquake centre there was also neat. I sat in the chair to experience the varying levels of earthquakes experienced throughout the years in Japan.

I then flew into Kyoto for 3 nights, where I went to the popular place. Fushimi Inari, Arashayami Park - fed the monkeys - the Bridge.

From Kyoto, I went to Tokyo for 5 nights and did the typical districts. Man, tokyo is huge.....Best Ramen ever at Tsuta.

From Tokyo to Kyoto (I enjoyed Kyoto). I also did a day trip to Mayijima for the floating gates.

Overall, Japan is great. Pocket wifi is a life saver. I'm glad I listened to the advice from members here. All thee different trains/subways and routes.

I find it a bit stupid their transit sytem shuts down early, when Tokyo is bustling. If there was one thing, I also wish I had this trip planned in advance. Being able to speak more Japanese would have been nice.

Last edited by subordinate; 06-19-2017 at 09:58 PM.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #380
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,537 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Just spent a couple nights in Nagoya. Toyota Automotive Museum is a must. Great history of all automobiles, and a 2000GT. Wait... that was 6!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #381

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
Just came back from my trip to Japan, visited Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima and Hakone.

It was my first time visiting Kyoto and I've got to say it was a let down...Maybe it was due to people I know hyping it as an amazing historic city but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I expected. For starters there are just way too many tourists everywhere, you notice tourists a lot more in Kyoto than say Tokyo for example.

All the main Kyoto attractions are also way too far away from each other making it cumbersome, I would recommend renting bike for certain areas. That being said it's still a must visit if you're in the Kansai area, we based out of Osaka and its a short trip to Kyoto.

Best parts of the trip were the food of course, got to try whale for the first time at Sushi Masuda and it was amazing. Visited 3 Michelin restaurants and all were well worth the price. Next trip I am definitely going to visit the north.

Maricart was also insanely fun but incredibly stupid safety wise, there are no seat belts and you have to ask for a helmet. No clue how it's legal, we were going 60-80 km/hr on the rainbow bridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 2017-06-09, 5 10 32 AM.jpg (288.2 KB, 0 views)
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #382

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
I wanted to do the maricart thing too but saw you had to have an international drivers license, and noticed it when I was just about to head off to the airport.

Sounds like we were in Japan around the same time frames.

I agree, Kyoto is kind of spread out with the attractions/tourist stuff, and even then, its' Packed!

hmm, Would travel insurance even cover you for an accident while driving with Maricart. No seatbelts...helmets..
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #383

Failed 263 Times in 78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I wanted to do the maricart thing too but saw you had to have an international drivers license, and noticed it when I was just about to head off to the airport.

Sounds like we were in Japan around the same time frames.

I agree, Kyoto is kind of spread out with the attractions/tourist stuff, and even then, its' Packed!

hmm, Would travel insurance even cover you for an accident while driving with Maricart. No seatbelts...helmets..
Yea I thought about the insurance thing too...was pretty close to bailing but my GF insisted she was going to do it so I just yolo'd. In the end I was the only one in the group wearing a helmet lol. It's a good thing Tokyo roads are always kept in good shape and everyone is drives pretty safe, even taxis.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:10 AM   #384
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 124 Times in 79 Posts
You guys should try to visit Tokyo for Halloween weekend. It's Halloween like I've never experienced before. Imagine turning Shibuya into one big club.

Or better yet, remember Vancouver 2010 when the entire Vancouver downtown was like a one big party for 3 weeks. It's exactly like that, except with costumes and for the entire weekend only.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #385
How I Mod your mother

Failed 18 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
You guys should try to visit Tokyo for Halloween weekend. It's Halloween like I've never experienced before. Imagine turning Shibuya into one big club.

Or better yet, remember Vancouver 2010 when the entire Vancouver downtown was like a one big party for 3 weeks. It's exactly like that, except with costumes and for the entire weekend only.
How are the temperatures during that time? Still reasonably warm?
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:31 AM   #386
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 124 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
How are the temperatures during that time? Still reasonably warm?
It's a bit cold; but not all that different from Vancouver weather & temperature around the same time.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #387
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,226 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Have a coming flight that could involve a 7+hr layover in Naha/Okinawa.

Any suggestion if it's worth the trouble? Total time there is 7:40. Taking away time to clear immigration and time to/from airport, I'm estimating around 5hr in the city during day time. I'm a sucker for Japanese food... so, I'm aiming for food.

The other option is 2:20 in KIX, but not enough to do anything really.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #388
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
For Okinawa, u have time only to visit the main strip and some shopping food.(Train goes directly, if I remember correctly) That's about it.rest is pretty much outside the city and long drive. Hoping to visit Okinawa/Osaka for free in nov
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
For Okinawa, u have time only to visit the main strip and some shopping food.(Train goes directly, if I remember correctly) That's about it.rest is pretty much outside the city and long drive. Hoping to visit Okinawa/Osaka for free in nov
Thanks. Any suggestion on where to go on that "main strip"?
Old 07-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #390
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 68 Posts
Any cool souvenirs to bring back from Japan besides treats? My cousin is currently there and he's asking what I want lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
Any cool souvenirs to bring back from Japan besides treats? My cousin is currently there and he's asking what I want lol
I'd get some stuff that's available only in Japan or relatively difficult/expensive to get outside of it.

I.E: if you are into mechanical keyboards, Japan has a great selection. The arguably holy grail of them all, those based on Topre electrostatic/capacitive switches can be found for almost half the price and are Made in Japan.

I have a HHKB and never looked back. Topre Realforce is another great option if you can't get over the HHKB layout.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #392
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,051 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Booked a week in Japan for March 7-16. No conflicting holidays, but I feel that I may only have time to go through Tokyo itself, or possibly Yokohama? I have Tsukiji, Ginza, Akihabara, possibly seeing FC Tokyo, and Toyota Megaweb on my list so far since I got a cheap accommodation right in Ginza itself.

Is there time to add anything else in a week?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #393
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
go to diver city, it's right next to toyota megaweb and you can check out the new gundam they put up and the gundam store (if you're into that kinda thing)

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #394
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Booked a week in Japan for March 7-16. No conflicting holidays, but I feel that I may only have time to go through Tokyo itself, or possibly Yokohama? I have Tsukiji, Ginza, Akihabara, possibly seeing FC Tokyo, and Toyota Megaweb on my list so far since I got a cheap accommodation right in Ginza itself.

Is there time to add anything else in a week?

Most places in Tokyo are so close together that you can do them in half a day. A week more than enough to explore Tokyo and even some of the cities around it. Their train is awesome and in some cases it only takes 40min to 1hour to travel to a nearby city. I mean if you are into models/vintage toys you can check out nakano broadway they have way more stuff than akihabara, more vintage collections and price are cheaper also.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #395
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Thinking of stopping Tokyo for a week. You guys think I can get by without knowing how to speak and read Japanese lol?

I have a buddy that can show me around that lives there, but he's got a family and work, so likely can't hang with him everyday. Wondering if I'll be able to get around fine?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #396
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,158 Times in 391 Posts
Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Thinking of stopping Tokyo for a week. You guys think I can get by without knowing how to speak and read Japanese lol?

I have a buddy that can show me around that lives there, but he's got a family and work, so likely can't hang with him everyday. Wondering if I'll be able to get around fine?
If you are planning on only sticking to touristy things and eating, you will be more then fine, it would be worth your while to look into getting a pocket wifi for the week you will be there!
Old 11-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #397
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
If you are planning on only sticking to touristy things and eating, you will be more then fine, it would be worth your while to look into getting a pocket wifi for the week you will be there!
Yeah, it'll be my first time visiting. I'll still learn the basic phrases before hand.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #398
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
there is an app you can get that will translate most of the bus/train messages for you. i only found out about it about half way through my trip when i was in kyoto lol. i don't remember the name of the app however D:

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #399
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,051 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Has anyone successfully used their debit card to withdraw money from a Japanese ATM, specifically Coast Capital's? Or does it make more sense to convert some cash here and then convert the remainder of CAD when I arrive at the airport? I'm concerned that if my debit card is a no go, I'll be way short on funds compared to getting all my money when I get there.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #400
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
I was able to use my debit card at the convenience stores in Japan this year. Specifically, I remember withdrawing at 7-11 (I think there wasn't a local fee for this because of the Cirrus network?), and Lawsons.

Last edited by DragonChi; 12-13-2017 at 11:06 AM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote