REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #2626
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Failed 18 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
And Brule is off to the Swiss League. Crazy how a prospect can be ruined with such bad development.
I remember a year leading up to the draft, a lot of scouts and experts were saying Brule = Crosby. Gilbert really just wasn't ready physically or mentally for the NHL, he just got man handled and destroyed.
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #2627
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 81 Times in 29 Posts
Bettman made close to $8M last year. Up from the $3.2 after the 04-05 lockout.

Bud Selig and Goodell each made upwards of about +$20 M. David Stern's salary has never been made public...
Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #2628
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Brule... what a fall from grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #2629
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,624 Times in 4,325 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
If he receive the right development from the beginning he would be a great NHL player but everyone tried to compare him to Crosby was tossed in when he wasn't ready and it destroyed his current NHL chances. His case and many others show why player devolpment is so important and just because you are drafted doesn't mean you should be in the NHL right away.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #2630
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,843 Times in 5,904 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
The other argument would be that if your that great of a player, you can overcome the circumstances
Old 08-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #2631
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The other argument would be that if your that great of a player, you can overcome the circumstances
There's a big difference from being a great player with boys to men. He's still great but some players just need more devolpment because there body just isn't ready yet.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #2632
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 16 Posts
I don't agree with the argument of overcoming the circumstances. At that age, you might just not be physically ready for the NHL, regardless of how skilled a player you are. Just because you play another year or two outside the NHL, doesn't mean you aren't that great of a player.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #2633
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,761 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Bettman's salary as listed on Sportsnet article:

Gary Bettman's latest salary revealed - sportsnet.ca

-never have and never will like this guy but I like that salary. He makes more money each year than Shea Weber.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #2634
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 79 Times in 22 Posts
Do you think that the player agents are to blame for the state that the NHL is in these days along with the players and owners?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #2635
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,123 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
VanCanucks Twitter. Guance is signed!!!

god damn, I need hockey
Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #2636
UFO

Failed 33 Times in 19 Posts
Agents want more $ for their clients, so they can make more $ themselves. This isn't unique to hockey or sports. If the CBA did not have certain restrictions, you wouldn't see the 'crazy' loophole exploitations that we currently see.

Everybody is to blame. Nobody can be solely blamed. You can even blame fans for paying the big $$ to attend games, buying merchandise, etc etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #2637
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 79 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Agents want more $ for their clients, so they can make more $ themselves. This isn't unique to hockey or sports. If the CBA did not have certain restrictions, you wouldn't see the 'crazy' loophole exploitations that we currently see.

Everybody is to blame. Nobody can be solely blamed. You can even blame fans for paying the big $$ to attend games, buying merchandise, etc etc.
True that. I always picture the sleazy agent getting in the ear of the innocent player and getting him to demand a monster contract. Too many Hollywood movies eh
Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #2638

Michael Grange of Sportsnet wrote a piece today suggesting that the NHLPA led my Fehr won't be making a counter offer exactly, but more of a vision of how Fehr would like the industry to run.

Quote:
Details weren't available, but the broad strokes are clear:

The NHL's hard salary cap, a concession earned by locking out the players for a season in 2004-05?

Gone.

Instead how about an NHL featuring a marketplace that allows rich teams to spend what they want and the best players to earn what they're worth?

Rather than an artificial drag on salaries by way of a hard cap, how about a voluntary tax -- a luxury tax -- on teams that see fit to invest in talent?

How about an NHL where, rather than weaker markets being propped up squeezing down the cost of labour, franchises that have unique advantages share some of their profits with those that don't?

It's 180 degrees from what the owners have come to enjoy and the "status quo but better" deal they're seeking now.

It's a reflection of what Fehr referred to in a triumph of understatement as "the meaningful gulf" separating the players from the owners.
Read it here: Grange on NHL: Let the negotiations begin - sportsnet.ca

I don't know how I feel about this. A luxury tax system may benefit a team like the Canucks whose owner is believed to want to spend at all costs to win.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #2639
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Michael Grange of Sportsnet wrote a piece today suggesting that the NHLPA led my Fehr won't be making a counter offer exactly, but more of a vision of how Fehr would like the industry to run.

Read it here: Grange on NHL: Let the negotiations begin - sportsnet.ca

I don't know how I feel about this. A luxury tax system may benefit a team like the Canucks whose owner is believed to want to spend at all costs to win.
I'm not sold on the luxury tax scheme. Look at the MLB and how many teams are actually competitive.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #2640
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,081 Times in 1,921 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
VanCanucks Twitter. Guance is signed!!!

god damn, I need hockey
Same, dying of no hockey news

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #2641
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 128 Times in 52 Posts
The NBA is a great example of a salary cap system that embeds a luxury tax. Pretty much all small market teams have problems recruiting superstars and elite players because they can't afford them. Most superstars play in big market teams and the teams in smaller markets are never competitive enough to compete, the only exception to that rule is Oklahoma City, where they drafted most of their elite talent.

If a similar system was implemented in the NHL, the smaller markets in Phoenix, Columbus and Florida, would have an even tougher time to compete, and may even relocate.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #2642
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,367 Times in 1,794 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
The NBA is a great example of a salary cap system that embeds a luxury tax. Pretty much all small market teams have problems recruiting superstars and elite players because they can't afford them. Most superstars play in big market teams and the teams in smaller markets are never competitive enough to compete, the only exception to that rule is Oklahoma City, where they drafted most of their elite talent.

If a similar system was implemented in the NHL, the smaller markets in Phoenix, Columbus and Florida, would have an even tougher time to compete, and may even relocate.
Why are people so against relocation of a team where there just isn't a market for them?

If people aren't willing to pay in that city, I'm betting that there is another city that will fill up the seats with ease.

Fuck Bettman and his US expansion idea. Phoenix was a TERRIBLE idea and it still is. Look how Glendale is suffering as a result of it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #2643
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,843 Times in 5,904 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
The NBA is the laughing stock of the pro sports world, a luxury tax doesn't work with north American sports leavues
Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #2644
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 128 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Why are people so against relocation of a team where there just isn't a market for them?

If people aren't willing to pay in that city, I'm betting that there is another city that will fill up the seats with ease.

Fuck Bettman and his US expansion idea. Phoenix was a TERRIBLE idea and it still is. Look how Glendale is suffering as a result of it.
I'm not against relocation, just stating that it may happen.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #2645
In RS I Trust

I actually went to Glendale a couple weeks ago and it's a pretty cool place. They say it's in the middle of no where when really ya it is but pretty quick to get around with the great freeway system they have.

There's about 6 bars in that one complex and when I stopped by is was going pretty good on a Friday
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #2646
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,123 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The NBA is the laughing stock of the pro sports world, a luxury tax doesn't work with north American sports leavues
Somebody should make a meme, if NHL has NBA luxury tax system.

Bynum can get you Howard...does that mean Ballard can get you Weber???????
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #2647
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Failed 609 Times in 221 Posts
All a luxury tax would do is make it so the semi-rich teams now can't compete with the ultra-rich teams.

I hate to say it but the salary cap made the NHL much more competitive and equal. Sure, some teams are bottom feeders but we have at least 20 playoff worthy teams each year. Who's gonna win the NBA? Oh right the Lakers or Heat.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #2648

Here is what Brendan Ross from Dobbler Hockey wrote for their Fantasy Guide on Canuck prospect Guance:

Quote:

Brendan Gaunce

Trading away centerman Cody Hodgson hurts less when you can almost immediately replace him with a better suited third-line centerman in Brendan Gaunce. Vancouver could not have asked for a better fit in their organization than what the big strong dedicated pivot playing out of Belleville provides them with. Lacking ideal top-six scoring upside, Gaunce makes up for it as he possesses a highly intelligent hockey mind and elite level intangibles including a remarkable work ethic and leadership qualities. His shot is NHL-ready and he could likely step into an NHL lineup soon if he can improve upon his mobility.

Likelihood: High. Gaunce plays the game with impressive hockey sense and owns the versatility to play in a second or third line role. With the Canucks having good scoring depth down the middle, Gaunce will slide in perfectly as the third line center. Look for Gaunce to play in a few more major junior seasons and possibly a year or so adjusting to professional hockey in the American Hockey League before taking the jump to NHL action.

NHL Due Date: 2014-15, more likely 2015-16
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #2649
In RS I Trust

Thats always a good thing to see
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #2650
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
The thing with these player ratings - are they ever NOT complimentary?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Closed Thread