REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
My business class experiences

Ever since I got to my new job position, I have been flying a lot in business class.

Just want to share with you guys about the experience in the front cabins.

No bragging intended.

First up is my flight on United from Beijing:
Spoiler!

Will be posting soon about my flights on Swiss Airlines and Air Canada.

Edit 1: Swiss Airlines posted.
Advertisement

Last edited by Hehe; 06-27-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Awesome experience! If you don't mind me asking, what is your new job position?
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 29 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxboost View Post
baller! shot caller!
k20er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 77 Times in 32 Posts
This is something I wouldn't see ever. I might add the $$$ for my parentswhen they goto Nam
Thanks for sharing
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Failed 23 Times in 8 Posts
the united business class looks pretty decent.

i've only had experience with business class on china airlines.
was only subpar, honestly.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
please post if you fly

singapore airlines
emirates
cathay

i want to see those seats that turn into a bed.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
why are you flying United? o.O that's known for some pretty crappy hard products in the industry.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #8

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
i'll snap a J class on CX next week when I fly, if I get the new plane. here's F class from this week
IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4212.jpg
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
please post if you fly

singapore airlines
emirates
cathay

i want to see those seats that turn into a bed.
Most of the competent airlines nowadays offer fully-flat bed. I didn't take a shot of my seat turned into bed. But again, those 3 airlines you listed are among the absolute best airlines to fly. Too bad that the routes of these 3 airlines aren't exactly flying the route I often do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNguyen View Post
This is something I wouldn't see ever. I might add the $$$ for my parentswhen they goto Nam
Thanks for sharing
Actually, if you get some good CC like RBC AVION, you can get to business/first pretty easy. RBC AVION, for example, run deals on converting the points to specific airline programs from time to time. They just done one for AA (1:1.25 IIRC) and for business class rewards is 110k roundtrip to Asia. or 130k for first class I think. And you can get award travels not only on AA but also their OneWorld partners like Cathay.

110k might sound a lot... but if you factor in the conversion bonuses as well as maximizing the utilization of your CC, it's actually not that hard. I load almost EVERYTHING I can possibly pay by CC on a single card, and the points adds up much faster than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxboost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by k20er View Post
baller! shot caller!
I'm an IT solution analyst. Basically I write/design IT solutions proposals often for government grants, business migrating their system... etc.

I do ok on my salary, but nothing to brag about. It's my company's policy that allows me to fly often in business class. (any flight longer than 4hr 59min, excluding connecting time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.boi View Post
i'll snap a J class on CX next week when I fly, if I get the new plane. here's F class from this week
Attachment 12143

Attachment 12144
CX F!!! That's BALLING!!!

Now, what do you do for a living?!

United's hardware is actually not bad, at least in J products. It's the soft part that stinks. I flew once in Cathay J about 2 years back and I can't say I liked the angled seat as AC J. But CX F is a totally different animal.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_dan View Post
the united business class looks pretty decent.

i've only had experience with business class on china airlines.
was only subpar, honestly.
Yeah, I think mainland China airlines still have a long way to go before matching even normal tier airlines like AC, UA... let alone EK, or SQ
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 1,128 Times in 272 Posts
ok urban what do you do LOL
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Failed 78 Times in 45 Posts
FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community for all your flight needs.

I am an avid user there and the community is just great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
FlyerTalk - The world's most popular frequent flyer community for all your flight needs.

I am an avid user there and the community is just great!
I am on FT too. But the problem with FT is that the information on there, specially mileage accumulation tips/tricks are mainly US focused. (with the exception of perhaps AC subforum) I have very rarely come across much information for canucks. Heck, I've had better luck on RFD travel or personal finance section.

But maybe I'm not active enough there. lol
Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #14

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

CX F!!! That's BALLING!!!

Now, what do you do for a living?!

United's hardware is actually not bad, at least in J products. It's the soft part that stinks. I flew once in Cathay J about 2 years back and I can't say I liked the angled seat as AC J. But CX F is a totally different animal.
ah your talking about the old CX J (herrabone) which most of us FF hate as well but good news they rolled out new ones! I tried it 4 times earlier last month MUCH better... the arrangement looks like F class cept with a smaller seat pitch (us normal folks won't know unless you take out your measuring tape) I choose CX as main carrier for the soft stuff..cant go wrong with the small stuff that makes your flight that much more enjoyable.

I'm in the film industry, producing movies/sales of the movies
.. new company policy all oversea trips get business class..as my boss and I flew on econ for one of the production to save some money..ended up he couldnt deal with Econ and so enforced a new policy..so lucky me!

Quote:
I am on FT too. But the problem with FT is that the information on there, specially mileage accumulation tips/tricks are mainly US focused. (with the exception of perhaps AC subforum) I have very rarely come across much information for canucks. Heck, I've had better luck on RFD travel or personal finance section.

But maybe I'm not active enough there. lol
I'm on there as well..but go into the CX sub forms for asia (CX sub form) best way to find out how to burn and churn the miles. Lot of us YVR base folks there :P i let go of my *A and only went with OW (MPC) now even if it means i have to transit via HKG to get to any mainland city I still prefer that over the direct flight. you will soon find yourself aiming to maintain the elite status once you taste the rainbow...like constant upgrade to F class from J class using miles or getting bumped u.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 51 Posts
Damn, never really gotten the chance to get an insider's look of what its like to be in business class. However, other than the bigger space you get while on the plane, I'm not quite sure if I'd be able to really make use of all the other features of a business class ticket.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
I've only gone business on air china from Japan to hongkong it wasn't anything special cause it was a short flight, and it was a free upgrade on the spot cause we were first in line to board haha.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.boi View Post
ah your talking about the old CX J (herrabone) which most of us FF hate as well but good news they rolled out new ones! I tried it 4 times earlier last month MUCH better... the arrangement looks like F class cept with a smaller seat pitch (us normal folks won't know unless you take out your measuring tape) I choose CX as main carrier for the soft stuff..cant go wrong with the small stuff that makes your flight that much more enjoyable.

I'm in the film industry, producing movies/sales of the movies
.. new company policy all oversea trips get business class..as my boss and I flew on econ for one of the production to save some money..ended up he couldnt deal with Econ and so enforced a new policy..so lucky me!

I'm on there as well..but go into the CX sub forms for asia (CX sub form) best way to find out how to burn and churn the miles. Lot of us YVR base folks there :P i let go of my *A and only went with OW (MPC) now even if it means i have to transit via HKG to get to any mainland city I still prefer that over the direct flight. you will soon find yourself aiming to maintain the elite status once you taste the rainbow...like constant upgrade to F class from J class using miles or getting bumped u.
I guess I will try it next time if time permits. But I'm already a *A Gold. (will be cracking the platinum on UA after making my way back this Tuesday) Is it worth it to start all over again with OW?

Granted the new UA FF program stinks. But I like the fact that I can earn full mileage+whatever bonus on all *A partner flights.

How many miles do you usually need to upgrade from J to F on CX? And how often do an elite FF gets bumped for free realistically speaking? Cause stupid *A never does that despite the numerous report I read on FT (I've never been bumped on a transpac/transatla flight on UA and AC has no F except once UA oversold J and had to do an OP-UP when I arrive late for check-in for my trip to NRT)

Last edited by Hehe; 06-23-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I flew Business Class on JAL from here to Shanghai, and it was decent, but not even close to United..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 51 Posts
^i remember food being superb onboard the JAL... Can't imagine what food would be like business class style

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 1,128 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I've only gone business on air china from Japan to hongkong it wasn't anything special cause it was a short flight, and it was a free upgrade on the spot cause we were first in line to board haha.
the FUCKKKKKKK i just went to beijing air china from narita japan

maybe next time ima stand in line first even though they order people from the back to the front.

what was the reason?
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #21

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
I guess I will try it next time if time permits. But I'm already a *A Gold. (will be cracking the platinum on UA after making my way back this Tuesday) Is it worth it to start all over again with OW?

Granted the new UA FF program stinks. But I like the fact that I can earn full mileage+whatever bonus on all *A partner flights.

How many miles do you usually need to upgrade from J to F on CX? And how often do an elite FF gets bumped for free realistically speaking? Cause stupid *A never does that despite the numerous report I read on FT (I've never been bumped on a transpac/transatla flight on UA and AC has no F except once UA oversold J and had to do an OP-UP when I arrive late for check-in for my trip to NRT)
you don't necessary have to start from the beginning for MPC ( or other OW ) you can get status match certain FF programs allow a status match CX will only comp you to silver tho which beats going from green to silver however if you do fly a lot in revenue J .. they will sometimes comp to Gold (on a per case base)
J-F round trip upgrade is 85,000 miles (YVR-HKG) and one way upgrade is 50,000 miles.
personal my bump up ratio has been from Y-J 8/10 flights and J-F 6/10 flights, but given said that oversold will always bump you, special occasions like birthday will be bumped, and peak season and certain fights...usually i pick certain time/day/flight that i know will have less elite FF on it so given me a higher chance on bump.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great pictures and review! I've never been on a UA business flight, looks awesome.

For me, the best business class is Lufthansa; large Recaro seats with massage functions, so wide I can roll in it, champagne and great Scotch selection.

The best lounge is the BA @ Heathrow, jesus, I would deliberately get a long layover there.

Looking forward to your next flight!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
the FUCKKKKKKK i just went to beijing air china from narita japan

maybe next time ima stand in line first even though they order people from the back to the front.

what was the reason?
No reason, I was little, excited to get on the plane, so I lined up first and they had empty seats and made me feel like a king.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #24

This one is on Swiss Airlines.

Spoiler!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
lunch looked disgusting...sometime about food when it looks overly healthy with vegetables & cheese doesn't look appealing

anyways,have any of you flew 1st class?.......I heard some of the 1st class lounges are quite plush & even include showers.

business class looks quite good.