REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,363 Times in 458 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwell View Post
I was actually looking into the 2012 GC srt8 =[

this article however gave me hope:
Jeep Says Grand Cherokee ‘Moose Test’ Failure Faked | AutoGuide.com News
I don't think the "lion orgy" version of the Jeep will have such issues - I have taken a test drive in the normal version and it seemed to have a very soft suspension, especially the limited/overland editions with the air suspension

The SRT8's stiffer tuned suspension would hopefully not have such issues - It is probably slightly lowered compared to the standard Cherokee. However, the fuel economy on the 6.4
Advertisement

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 08-07-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Clarified what economy meant
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 81 Times in 29 Posts
Bump this thread.

Noob question.

Will the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee be the first diesel engine offered in North America? I read somewhere that the 2013 model will have a shortened season to make way for the 2014 models that will come with diesel options.

Also, has Mercedes-Benz stopped designing their engines?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Failed 1,848 Times in 413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Bump this thread.

Noob question.

Will the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee be the first diesel engine offered in North America? I read somewhere that the 2013 model will have a shortened season to make way for the 2014 models that will come with diesel options.
I rented a 2008 Grand Cherokee when I was working in Edmonton in Feb. 2009. It was a 3.0l diesel. So no, the 2014 will hardly be the first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Failed 221 Times in 97 Posts
Quote:
Bump this thread.

Noob question.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cut Short for Diesel in 2014 | AutoGuide.com News

The WK (2005 - 2011) had a 3L diesel option which was identical to the ML diesel engine.

If it interests you, with a simple tune it could reliably match the Hemi version of the truck (5.7L Gas powered) in terms of power and still get good gas mileage.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
i like how the driver wasn't wearing anything....
i was surprised how close the film crew were to the setup

I know what my next auto X car is gonna be
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Cut Short for Diesel in 2014 | AutoGuide.com News

The WK (2005 - 2011) had a 3L diesel option which was identical to the ML diesel engine.

If it interests you, with a simple tune it could reliably match the Hemi version of the truck (5.7L Gas powered) in terms of power and still get good gas mileage.
Any idea if the 2013 S-Limited will be offered in N. America? I like how it looks and it comes with a diesel option. One concern however is that Mercedes Benz no longer produces the engine. Another bigger concern is the suspension test and the fact it is in the same price range as some BMW and Mercedes.

Review of the new 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Limited Diesel 3.0 CRD 241 HP | Autolatest

Quote:
Engine

Under the hood lurks a V6 diesel engines of three litres which unfortunately is no longer made by Mercedes Benz but by the Italians from VM Motori. In fact this is the only reason why a lot of the clients of the previous-generation Jeep dropped this model. Simply the reliability of the new italian diesel is not up to the level produced by Mercedes Benz.

The new three litre engines is a refined and offers top performance for this Jeep, but this engine lost the brand Powered By Mercedes. This situation offers many marketing problems in Europe where a lot of clients simply do not want this model with an Italian diesel engine.

Those who have thought to purchase such a model with the gasoline engine V6 Pentastar must keep in mind that it has suffered serious reliability problems where many units have been recalled and in service in the USA.
What newer model SUVs with diesel would you guys recommend? VW Toureg?

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 11-15-2012 at 07:35 AM.
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #32
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Failed 221 Times in 97 Posts
Quote:
Any idea if the 2013 S-Limited will be offered in N. America? I like how it looks and it comes with a diesel option. One concern however is that Mercedes Benz no longer produces the engine. Another bigger concern is the suspension test and the fact it is in the same price range as some BMW and Mercedes.

Review of the new 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Limited Diesel 3.0 CRD 241 HP | Autolatest

What newer model SUVs with diesel would you guys recommend? VW Toureg?
Why do you have to get a diesel? I'd start looking at turbocharged gasoline 4/6 cylinder engines. Ford has a great lineup of ecoboost engines that are well powered and relatively fuel efficient

Touareg is nice but the diesel is a $4500 option on a ~$50,000 truck for the basic model, you're looking at $60-$65 out the door taxes in .. seems a little steep for that price I'd rather get a used mercedes ML bluetec, should be a bunch of lease returns for a good price since the new body style just launched
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Bump this thread.

Noob question.

you are right, Chrysler dealership cannot order 2013 models anymore because we will have an early 2014 order, many changes are to be made (i work at Chrysler)

Mercedes and Chrysler split years ago but they still share some parts/designs, fiat is one of the main owners of Chrysler now, hence the new European designs, as well as fiats version of the journey and many Chrysler dealership carrying the new fiat 500...

and reluctantly i will agree that the new wrangler and Cherokee dont feel the most stable on the HWY, in my opinions the steering feels very numb and easy to over correct.. on the other hand they did make these vehicles very off road capable so there has to be some give in performance, but obviously safety should always be put first!

and yes, jeep has made diesels available in north america before, they were hugely popular so it makes sense to bring it back.

ps, the srt model is near impossible to get your hands on, we had people paying 5-10G over msrp to have one and still they are very back ordered
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #34

Heard some conflicting things about the engine designed by VM Motori having issues in the 2013 model.

It will be interesting to see if they fix the handling issues in the 14 model.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 132 Times in 38 Posts
so the moral of this story is " when you drive a GC, don't dodge a moose on the road, but run over it or dodge closely by the moose so it will go under the lifted end of the car. jk.

Will Jeep go through another swedish moose test to prove its really fixed?.. there is no video on german test so who knows if it is same moose with same load.

Last edited by wasabisashimi; 11-15-2012 at 11:21 AM.
wasabisashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #36

I don't think you can run a moose over. Moose always wins. Legs get taken out from front of car with the torso smashing through your window. Seen a couple after pictures since living in Alberta. Brutal.