REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Ear Won't Pop

I was taking a shower last night and got water into my right ear and usually it's fine the next morning when the water dries up. However, my ear is still clogged up and won't pop.

I tried holding my nose and breathing to pop it as if you would on a plane but that didn't work. I tried using those ear cleaners to try to clean my ear but that didn't work either.

Anyone have any ideas I should attempt to clear up my ear? I may have to see a doctor?

Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
Have your tried just laying with your head on it's side and let the ear drain. May take awhile but usually works. Also it could be wax build up deep in the canal that is causing the feeling. I had to go get my ear flushed at the doctor because of this. They put a little dish under your ear and then shoot saline into your ear with a big syringe looking thing. Amazing how much stuff came out. Maybe you need a flush?

Berz out.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Wait it out. It will eventually pop. I get that all the time when I swim and it sometimes takes around 2 days to fully get rid of it. It isn't anything you should be concerned about unless its been a week or more.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 154 Times in 37 Posts
I've experienced this way too many times. You can't really do anything but just wait it out. I had both my ears "blocked" at the same time and I could barely hear anyone it sucked lol.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 124 Times in 36 Posts
I experienced this once. Took a shower before work and after 4 hours there was still water in there. All i did was tilt my head to the side, stick my pinky in and shake it a few times...felt so good when it came out
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,567 Times in 1,511 Posts
Failed 853 Times in 284 Posts
stick q-tip as deep as possible slowly before it gets too painful/sensitive, if that doesnt work, slam my head against the mattress of my bed until it comes out (always works).

probably not too good for the brain, but it gets the water out. beats waiting 2 days.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,765 Times in 1,645 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
If it's just the water, you can also roll a kleenex with your thumb and index finger to make a small "pin".

Slowly put it into your ear. It's not rigid enough to cause harm, and as soon as the tip of the kleenex hits whatever water it wicks it up.

Feels kinda funny though.

If it's a matter of pressurizing your ears, don't force yourself to pop your ears because you're putting pressure on your eardrums and overdoing it may cause harm.

If it's uncomfortable for a long period of time go to a doctor/clinic.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 148 Times in 30 Posts
Heres something my parents taught me.. works 90% of the time

Tilt your head to the other side, so that the clogged ear is facing towards the ceiling.
Grab some warm water from the tap and drip some into the ear (wait a few seconds, the water stuck inside tends to "merge" with the drips of water added")
Tilt your head the other way and bang your head and jump until it all comes out

If it becomes painful and doesn't come out, stop
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,099 Times in 168 Posts
Failed 219 Times in 52 Posts
This is mostly to do from wax buildup if it hasn't come out yet. You want this out ASAP so it doesn't cause an inner ear infection.

Here's what I've been using for the last 10 years.

Bic pen lid. I know it looks scary but just be gentle and not be in a moving car or some shit hah.. Slowly put it into your ear and start at one side and do not use any pressure but just kinda carefully scrape your canal.

Pull lid out. If you have dark wax coming out, that means that it's old and is most likely causing the problem. Fresh wax is kinda white in color.

If you don't feel comfortable using a lid, there's other items but I don't suggest a cue tip since that will most likely push it further in.

Another option is to go to a clinic. They take a hollow syringe and fill it with warm water then tilt your head over and blast your canal. You wont believe how much comes out and your hearing is so crisp. It's uncomfortable getting it done though IMO.

I'm not a doctor or anything, this is just my method.
FishTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 154 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
This is mostly to do from wax buildup if it hasn't come out yet. You want this out ASAP so it doesn't cause an inner ear infection.

Here's what I've been using for the last 10 years.

Bic pen lid. I know it looks scary but just be gentle and not be in a moving car or some shit hah.. Slowly put it into your ear and start at one side and do not use any pressure but just kinda carefully scrape your canal.

Pull lid out. If you have dark wax coming out, that means that it's old and is most likely causing the problem. Fresh wax is kinda white in color.

If you don't feel comfortable using a lid, there's other items but I don't suggest a cue tip since that will most likely push it further in.

Another option is to go to a clinic. They take a hollow syringe and fill it with warm water then tilt your head over and blast your canal. You wont believe how much comes out and your hearing is so crisp. It's uncomfortable getting it done though IMO.

I'm not a doctor or anything, this is just my method.
+1. Done the clinic thing before it was actually pretty fun haha. You get to see the wax in your ear after a huge wad of it comes out. Your hearing becomes much more clearer for a while until the wax builds up again.
BossFrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had both ears clogged a day after swimming and couldn't hear a thing! Went to the clinic and they did the ear canal irrigation. All I can say is WOW, can't believe how much stuff is in our ear canals! Could hear a pin drop a mile away once this was done, highly recommend!
VeeDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
OP, I would highly recommend AGAINST sticking anything into the ear to try to unclog it. Whether it be with a Qtip or pen lid or whatever. I've seen many cases of people rupturing their eardrums doing that.

Your best bet is to put a few drops of olive oil or mineral oil into the affected ears at bedtime for a couple nights (this may make it a little worse initially, before you get it flushed out). Then this softens up the earwax, and then go see your family doctor to get your ears flushed as others have mentioned. You'd be surprised how much can come out, and you'll hear great after. It's a very common thing.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
My ex used to run and jump on to the bed side ways and she said it works like a charm. Been doing it all her life and she's an avid swimmer. Give that a shot lol
crazie_gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Failed 1,065 Times in 267 Posts
What works for me is turning head sideways and jumping up uand down on one legg as hard as you can.. works for me.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote