REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:55 PM   #25351
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
So many people do the absolute minimum for their rental whether it’s a laneway or a basement suite and in the long run, it’s a terrible decision.

Making a comfortable space people want to stay in and pay top dollar for is always worth the initial investment. Buddy guys would never even consider spending more on things like bifold sliders or a “unique” layout
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #25352
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Lol, for most of the buddy guy builds the rental suite is not supposed to be much more than a mortgage payment. Other than that, the sentiment is that the homeowners would rather not know they exist.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:02 PM   #25353
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
What's your $ per sq ft to build?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:09 PM   #25354
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Woah! 3 bed? That’s gotta be tight?
Both the kids rooms are roughly 10x10, and to utilize the small space, both of their rooms will get Murphy beds

The master room is about 10x12, unfortunately a Murphy bed won't work as the lowest point of the ceiling height is about 6 feet and highest is 7.5 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So many people do the absolute minimum for their rental whether it’s a laneway or a basement suite and in the long run, it’s a terrible decision.

Making a comfortable space people want to stay in and pay top dollar for is always worth the initial investment. Buddy guys would never even consider spending more on things like bifold sliders or a “unique” layout
The most bare minimum rental laneway home I've seen was this gem, located at the corner of Rupert and 44th Ave.

It started out like this

And the end result, it still looks like a garage but with more windows and a door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:09 PM   #25355
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

The slumlord in me says otherwise

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:01 PM   #25356
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
TypeRNammer, are you building the laneway house to rent out, or to stay in yourself? If it’s the former, like Hondaracer said, kudos for building something well designed and thought out for your future tenants.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:36 PM   #25357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
TypeRNammer, are you building the laneway house to rent out, or to stay in yourself? If it’s the former, like Hondaracer said, kudos for building something well designed and thought out for your future tenants.
It's for myself to live in.

Currently we are occupying one of the units on the main floor. Once laneway house is complete, we'll move into it and the unit will be up for rent

650sq 2 bed, with the wife and two kids, it's a pretty tight squeeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5
[What's your $ per sq ft to build?
$400 per sq ft.

It's on the high side in terms of costs, but it was just bad timing, and stubborn parents not listening and allowing me to kick start the process early. The building permit alone took about 8 months.

My dream build was to be either from LaneFab or SmallWorks. I spoke to both the builders, to build a some what reasonable boutique lane home, asking price was starting from $525k to $550k before taxes and way out of my reach.
Quote:
Quote:
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 08:36 AM   #25358
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
damn, living in 650sqft with wife and 2 kids lol.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #25359

It’s how ya ball baby. Make some sacrifices now and maybe he’ll be renting out the entire property in the future
Old 03-23-2023, 08:43 AM   #25360
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Damn, I been complaining about 2 people and 2 dogs in 683 sq ft... gonna take a seat now lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #25361
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
650 square feet in a ground-oriented home (townhouse or laneway house) is easier to live with, I would think, as you have quick access to outdoor space and the street. The majority of immigrant families with a Vancouver special grew up in 900-1000 square feet on the top floor, with the basement rented.

650 square feet in a condo where you have a small balcony and elevator access only would definitely feel more "enclosed".

How many people on RS nowadays have more than 2000 square feet to themselves?

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-23-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 08:57 AM   #25362

Yea was gonna say, in the summer or any nicer weather when you can have the doors open and be on the patio it will feel substantially larger
Old 03-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #25363

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post

And the end result, it still looks like a garage but with more windows and a door.
I suspect that was never permitted to be a laneway house.

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-23-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:32 AM   #25364
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
650 square feet in a ground-oriented home (townhouse or laneway house) is easier to live with, I would think, as you have quick access to outdoor space and the street. The majority of immigrant families with a Vancouver special grew up in 900-1000 square feet on the top floor, with the basement rented.

650 square feet in a condo where you have a small balcony and elevator access only would definitely feel more "enclosed".

How many people on RS nowadays have more than 2000 square feet to themselves?
I'm actually on the ground floor and my patio door opens onto a pretty big patio and that opens into the courtyard... so I do have some of those amenities... but still
Old 03-23-2023, 09:37 AM   #25365

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm actually on the ground floor and my patio door opens onto a pretty big patio and that opens into the courtyard... so I do have some of those amenities... but still
Yeah, but you probably have to go through the lobby of your building to access your unit, right? And you have neighbours likely above and beside you?

On another note, you often hear chatter about how developers aren't building "family-friendly" apartments/condos. Look at this:

https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2757358/5...Port-Moody-BC/

Sure, it's 4 bedrooms and a good amount of square footage. But, anyone who can afford $1.4M can likely stretch for a detached house or at worst, a duplex, with no strata fees and only 1 shared wall.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #25366
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
650 Sqft is okay when I was in elementary or high school growing up. But I can't imagine living in 650sqft with kids of my own or with my mom. Would be chaos lol.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:02 AM   #25367
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, but you probably have to go through the lobby of your building to access your unit, right? And you have neighbours likely above and beside you?

On another note, you often hear chatter about how developers aren't building "family-friendly" apartments/condos. Look at this:

Sure, it's 4 bedrooms and a good amount of square footage. But, anyone who can afford $1.4M can likely stretch for a detached house or at worst, a duplex, with no strata fees and only 1 shared wall.
Yah I don't get huge condos at all... it makes zero financial sense to me to spend what you'd spend on detached and then also have a $500+ bill each month for the rest of time on top of it all.

That said, my gf's parents live in a 2+den and they're happy to pay for it because they sold a rancher to move into it, neither of them could do the gardening or outside stuff anymore.

I probably honestly would have still stayed in the house and just hired people to do that stuff, but that's just me. They have some friends in the same building and look at it that way... to each their own I guess!
Old 03-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #25368
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
I don't think there are many people who have over 1,300 sq/ft in Vancouver.
Even if someone had an entire house in Vancouver, surely their basement is rented out to help with the mortgage and they're living in the upstairs.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #25369

Quote:
I suspect that was never permitted to be a laneway house.
It was actually permitted

I watched the garage being torn down, then the laneway being built up.

EDIT: Quick turn around for that particular lane way house, start to finish in 8 months
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 03-23-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #25370
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Yah I don't get huge condos at all... it makes zero financial sense to me to spend what you'd spend on detached and then also have a $500+ bill each month for the rest of time on top of it all.

That said, my gf's parents live in a 2+den and they're happy to pay for it because they sold a rancher to move into it, neither of them could do the gardening or outside stuff anymore.

I probably honestly would have still stayed in the house and just hired people to do that stuff, but that's just me. They have some friends in the same building and look at it that way... to each their own I guess!
Lots of people I know prefer strata living because they don't want to deal with it. If you are in a decent strata the money is worth it for hassle free living. Again I think RS is in the minority cause it seems like a large proportion of us has detached or duplex homes.

I used to say don't date car guys, but we do have a hobby that drives us further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I don't think there are many people who have over 1,300 sq/ft in Vancouver.
Even if someone had an entire house in Vancouver, surely their basement is rented out to help with the mortgage and they're living in the upstairs.
I have 2400sqft ........... And that's with my parents taking over the basement.

The one thing I really like about this house is 4 parking spots, thought my parents took two of them.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 10:22 AM   #25371

Quote:
Damn, I been complaining about 2 people and 2 dogs in 683 sq ft... gonna take a seat now lol
Actually we have two dogs also
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #25372
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
damn, living in 650sqft with wife and 2 kids lol.
We are in a 780 SF 1 bedroom with two kids

It is ok for now, but once they start crawling around and walking...
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 11:14 AM   #25373
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Wife & I went to a few open homes this weekend that we were interested. Decent level of traffic from what we were able to see. Two of them had dumb seller agents that kept hyping up the market being hot, and that their clients home already expected to have multi offers yadadada. So we threw in some lowball offers to get a feel of the market really is. Ends up none of them had the so called multi offers or offers that were above asking that the agent/seller was expecting LOL. One of them even got the balls to call me to ask me if I was interested LMAO. If these were Vancouver addresses, would be sold in a heart beat, but it's not.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #25374
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I used to have lots of space but my kids stole most of it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Lots of people I know prefer strata living because they don't want to deal with it. If you are in a decent strata the money is worth it for hassle free living.
When I ran the math once the strata fees weren't far off the cost of maintenance on a house if your fees are reasonable.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:37 AM   #25375

The thing with a house is, you’re not forced to pay a dime if you don’t want