REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #25376
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
When I ran the math once the strata fees weren't far off the cost of maintenance on a house if your fees are reasonable.
This was very true until insurance costs skyrocketed... now it's just mental...

My place is actually pretty good and it's over $300 for 683 sq ft... a lot of places are $500+ for a 2 bedroom now.

There's no way anyone is spending $6-$10,000 a year on their house with any regularity unless they bought a real lemon nevermind any house is like twice the space.

It used to feel okay at $2400ish a year if there were some amenities but now it's just robbery lol
Advertisement
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:02 PM   #25377
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Also if you have a suite you can write off 1/3 of those maintenance costs
Old 03-23-2023, 12:40 PM   #25378
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
It depends how much you value your time. I value mine at $100+/hour, so maintaining a house on your own can add up quickly. I'm not a professional handyman, carpenter, etc, so anything I've done takes me 3 times as long (setup, trips to the big orange, Youtube/online research) and I've had to make investment in tools over the years. My father in law is over 70 and he's still climbing his roof and doing stuff. It never ends.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather over the next couple of weeks:
- deck stain
- power wash siding and driveway
- lawn repair and re-seeding
- ripping out a few dead cedars and finding new ones to plant
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 12:51 PM   #25379
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

My place is actually pretty good and it's over $300 for 683 sq ft... a lot of places are $500+ for a 2 bedroom now.

There's no way anyone is spending $6-$10,000 a year on their house with any regularity unless they bought a real lemon nevermind any house is like twice the space.

It used to feel okay at $2400ish a year if there were some amenities but now it's just robbery lol
How are you NOT spending $6-10k a year on your house? If you figure out the yearly cost on your big ticket items - hot water heater, roof, doors, windows, landscaping, etc there's no way the house doesn't cost that much on average annually. Our metered water/sewer bill alone is $1200/year which would have been included in our strata fees.

-Mark
Old 03-23-2023, 01:14 PM   #25380
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
our water/sewage is $900 for a 2br condo in coquitlam. that's not part of strata fees. depends where you live.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:36 PM   #25381
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:

I can't remember all the factors when we looked at it before but I assume that fee covers things like landscaping and snow removal and stuff? Are any amenities or utilities included too?

Bare minimum on a house (roof, windows, HVAC, hot water, fence) spread out over the lifetime is ~$1200/yr but if someone wants truly hands-off home ownership equivalent to a condo it'll get expensive fast. The quote to do everything for just my grass for the summer was $800, trimming one tree was a couple hundred, another couple hundred to fix and blow out sprinklers every year, snow removal isn't cheap either, etc. Then any utilities or amenity equivalents on top of that. I think you'd easily hit $6k/yr and you're not even getting the full convenience of having someone else handle contractor wrangling for you.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:51 PM   #25382
Performance Moderator

You're also getting the benefit of twice as much space if not more... 3x the space... a garage to work in etc.

Only gas is included in strata. Water and other stuff isn't for most of them.

It's electric heat in my place, baseboards, so that's not included either... and no AC. Basically the included gas goes to the stove and that's it.

All that results in is notices each winter reminding people that having your oven open and turned on is a terrible way to heat your condo unless you want to die lol
Old 03-23-2023, 02:21 PM   #25383
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Adding the big ticket items for home maintenance is fair. But then we'll also have to consider the special assessments for the big-ticket items in a condo... elevator repairs, window replacements, etc...

I think the strata fees for a small condo are reasonable, even if it's .80/sqft. That's ~$400-500 for a 1-bed condo, but you get the benefits of the amenities too.

Once you get into one of these larger 1000sqft+ condos and end up paying $1000+/month, that's when the strata fees become asinine.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:25 PM   #25384
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Thing about homeownership is that some of those things are somewhat optional, you certainly have more control and discretion. The lines also get blurry as to what's a "need" vs a "want" or even a hobby.

Like, the only "Emergency repairs" I've had in 12 years has been my hot water tank when it sprung a leak 8 years ago, which I fixed myself for $600.

Mowing the lawn is necessary, that's like $30 in lawnmower gas a year. Trimming the trees, can do myself (bought a $50 pole pruner when I moved in) except for the japanese plum which I've had professionally done twice at ~200 each time.

We garden quite a bit, and money goes into the soil and plants etc, but that starts falling into hobby category because we like doing it and it looks nice. We could just as easily cover over the gardens with gravel and never need to deal with it.

I've repainted and done all that shit, but it's not like the rooms were unlivable how they were, falls under want more than need.

Last summer I got the gutters and the heat pump, the old gutters were still doing their job, they were just ugly. Same thing with the furnace, it was still doing its job but with the incentives and my refrigeration buddy's availability the time was right to get it done.

Roof is still in good shape at ~12 or so years old , but certainly something that'll need budgeting for.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 03:42 PM   #25385
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Once you get into one of these larger 1000sqft+ condos and end up paying $1000+/month, that's when the strata fees become asinine.
RIP me
Old 03-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #25386
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
You're also getting the benefit of twice as much space if not more... 3x the space... a garage to work in etc.
Oh there's definitely pros and cons to both, to be clear I'm only talking about the people EvoFire was referring to that don't want to deal with any of it and just have a strata manage all the upkeep and maintenance. If you're paying people to handle the same amount of stuff for a house the cost is probably going to be pretty similar and it won't be as hands off so for those people it makes sense.

For anyone willing to do even a little bit of their own upkeep they'll be paying a lot less on their house than they would be on strata fees. Hence why that $800 for the lawn was just a quote, ain't no way I'm paying someone that much to mow my lawn lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:58 PM   #25387
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
When I ran the math once the strata fees weren't far off the cost of maintenance on a house if your fees are reasonable.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
It depends how much you value your time. I value mine at $100+/hour, so maintaining a house on your own can add up quickly. I'm not a professional handyman, carpenter, etc, so anything I've done takes me 3 times as long (setup, trips to the big orange, Youtube/online research) and I've had to make investment in tools over the years. My father in law is over 70 and he's still climbing his roof and doing stuff. It never ends.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather over the next couple of weeks:
- deck stain
- power wash siding and driveway
- lawn repair and re-seeding
- ripping out a few dead cedars and finding new ones to plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Adding the big ticket items for home maintenance is fair. But then we'll also have to consider the special assessments for the big-ticket items in a condo... elevator repairs, window replacements, etc...

I think the strata fees for a small condo are reasonable, even if it's .80/sqft. That's ~$400-500 for a 1-bed condo, but you get the benefits of the amenities too.

There's a lot of ways you can look at it. Tapioca is right in that your time is money as well, at my going work rate my time is worth about $100/h, for my own house I need to either go research how to do something, go buy the tools, or research for some one to do it and deal with whether or not they did it right. Time is money. Time is something I rather spend with family than fixing something broken at home.

The costs of owning a home is also significant.
Our townhouse in Burnaby cost us at just under 1300sqft:
$400/m on strata
$600/y on insurance
$700/y on city utilities
$1200/y on property tax
avg $700 gas a year
avg $600 hydro a year
total ~8700

Our house in Vancouver @ 3000sqft:
city utilities + property tax was ~7000
insurance $3300
misc stuff around the house was ~2000 (lawn care, new garage door openers, garden equipment, plants, exterior care and cleaning, etc)
avg $2800/y on gas (pre heatpump, will be cheaper for 2023)
avg $840/y on hydro (pre heatpump, will be higher for 2023)
Total ~16k

The townhouse cost was from 2020, whereas the house costs are from 2022, so add some for inflation and tax hikes?
Strictly per sqft speaking, the house is cheaper. But I also spend way more time dealing with things. It depends on what you are willing or not willing to do. You can live in a strata and not care about a thing, as long as there's someone who cares running it you don't have to think.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #25388
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
You can live in a strata and not care about a thing, as long as there's someone who cares running it you don't have to think.
If you've worked for someone, you know what it's like when you don't give a fuck how much it costs to do something as long as it's done.

That's likely the same person looking after your largest asset.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2023, 04:52 PM   #25389
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
This new build is around the corner, I like it it’s a bit simple but a craftsman style like this with the, presumably master patio up top there is pretty sweet

I’ll always prefer a porch over paving stones or even grass out front though

Old 03-23-2023, 11:57 PM   #25390
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
There's a lot of ways you can look at it. Tapioca is right in that your time is money as well, at my going work rate my time is worth about $100/h, for my own house I need to either go research how to do something, go buy the tools, or research for some one to do it and deal with whether or not they did it right. Time is money. Time is something I rather spend with family than fixing something broken at home.

The costs of owning a home is also significant.
Our townhouse in Burnaby cost us at just under 1300sqft:
$400/m on strata
$600/y on insurance
$700/y on city utilities
$1200/y on property tax
avg $700 gas a year
avg $600 hydro a year
total ~8700

Our house in Vancouver @ 3000sqft:
city utilities + property tax was ~7000
insurance $3300
misc stuff around the house was ~2000 (lawn care, new garage door openers, garden equipment, plants, exterior care and cleaning, etc)
avg $2800/y on gas (pre heatpump, will be cheaper for 2023)
avg $840/y on hydro (pre heatpump, will be higher for 2023)
Total ~16k

The townhouse cost was from 2020, whereas the house costs are from 2022, so add some for inflation and tax hikes?
Strictly per sqft speaking, the house is cheaper. But I also spend way more time dealing with things. It depends on what you are willing or not willing to do. You can live in a strata and not care about a thing, as long as there's someone who cares running it you don't have to think.
TH is the best option (financially speaking) for a larger strata space. Imagine that was a condo and your strata fee was $1000/mo. The 1300sqft condo would cost as much as your 3000sqft house. That’s the issue and why I find the fees on larger condos crazy. I hope one has an amazing view if they are paying that much a month on strata fees. Don’t get me started on the 2 level townhomes at the base of a condo lol.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:57 AM   #25391
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Those TH at the base of a condo get destroyed by strata fees, really needs to be seperated

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:57 AM   #25392
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2754079/3...ET-Burnaby-BC/

Kinda bold claim here - the back of the lot is inaccessible unless they build a lane to the back which just ain't happening. Weird lot configuration - not sure how that ever was allowed to happen. It's 213' deep and the back half of it is 100' wide.

Quote:
Great investment potential. This is a potential 3-lot property. There are 2 more potentially sub-dividable lots (approx 50' x 110') behind the current property. All together, this is a beautifully built, well-maintained property on a ~17,000 SF South facing lot.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #25393
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
If you had $4M, why would you ever wanna live in that property.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #25394

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
That's an odd piece of land, why doesn't the next door get the full length?
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:31 AM   #25395
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
This new build is around the corner, I like it it’s a bit simple but a craftsman style like this with the, presumably master patio up top there is pretty sweet

I’ll always prefer a porch over paving stones or even grass out front though

I really like this colour on these style homes
Old 03-24-2023, 08:37 AM   #25396
mc.
RS controls my life!

Failed 32 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

Kinda bold claim here - the back of the lot is inaccessible unless they build a lane to the back which just ain't happening. Weird lot configuration - not sure how that ever was allowed to happen. It's 213' deep and the back half of it is 100' wide.
Yeah, how in the world did this place get the neighboring house's back yard? From the front, the houses looking like copies of each other and there doesn't seem to be any fences in the back showing the separation.
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:38 AM   #25397

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Yea how does that work? The back just looks like a park, it's unfenced. Kinda cool if you can build a giant house in the back and have a long driveway up.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:39 AM   #25398

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
But yes I would not live there if I had 4 m
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:46 AM   #25399
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
I really like this colour on these style homes

Me too. It's basically a modern recreation of the style and colour scheme of early 20th century (1910-1930) era houses.

When it works it works.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:47 AM   #25400
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

Looks like the owners have tried to sell this property many many times. And each time it doesn't sell, they decide to list it for even more the next time!
And yeah, very weird, I'm sure the house next door will love you if you decide to even put up a new fence there and block off their property

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote