REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #25551
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Most cites require a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio for replacing mature trees, but that's a new tree with a DBH of <20cm.

With the recent updates to infill and 'affordable housing' demand, I don't think City staff delay development over a single tree if it means adding an addition 2-3 units to a lot.
Advertisement

Last edited by bcedhk; 04-07-2023 at 11:07 AM.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #25552
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
My japanese plum is looking pretty good right now though :P

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #25553
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
I had some small trees in terrible locations in my current place when I moved in, they magically disappeared one day before they had a chance to get too big and cause issues down the road.

I like trees but when morons plan them within a few feet of the house you have to wonder what they were thinking?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:48 PM   #25554
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
Speaking about trees, so I have this big tall tree on city sidewalk but it looks like the roots has made it's way into my property. My indoor sidewalk is lifted up and is not a hazard to walk. I call the city and the inspector said there's nothing he can do about it because it's on private property, even though the main cause is from a city tree....
It's up to me and at my cost to fix the issue on my side of the property which sucks. What are the risk if I leave it alone in terms of house structure, can it continue to grow and damage the house?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:05 PM   #25555
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
What about elder care? Will you eventually need to move back home? Or you parents downside move to condo as they get older? Parents take care of your kids? Inheritance? Cuz there's no point of stretching to buy a detached if your parents will hand you one 10 20 years down the road. Or yea move further out, the maple ridge? Cuz I don't really need a detached it's just nice to have to space to hoard cars and possible rental income.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:43 PM   #25556
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 386 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 10 Posts
Hey unit,

What if instead of eating rice and beans for a couple years you devote that effort to increasing your income? Nothing wrong with the rice and beans but I feel there needs to be a longer term goal or you will be in the same position a couple years down the road. Also even if your rental is slightly cashflow negative you are still building equity and get the appreciation. Not ideal but it’s not crazy bad. Appreciation in the lower mainland can be more than most peoples full time jobs.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:09 PM   #25557
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
What about elder care? Will you eventually need to move back home? Or you parents downside move to condo as they get older? Parents take care of your kids? Inheritance? Cuz there's no point of stretching to buy a detached if your parents will hand you one 10 20 years down the road. Or yea move further out, the maple ridge? Cuz I don't really need a detached it's just nice to have to space to hoard cars and possible rental income.
I'm not hearing kids in this situation as a reason for upsizing.

What's the point of inheriting a detached house when you're 60 years old and can't do the things that you want to do, like gardening and building space for your pets?

Prior to the pandemic, I was super motivated to get our family into a larger home. In my opinion, I think this whole thing about waiting for moments that may not come is somewhat harmful. Most people in this thread who are serious about upsizing are likely in their late 30s or early 40s. Realistically, there's not much time left to make these types of moves. If you know what you want, you might as well be honest with yourself and take your best shot, instead of settling.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2023, 02:20 PM   #25558
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
It’s like people who wait to renovate their place till right before they sell.

You could have enjoyed the renovation and gained the added value etc. of having it done the entire time but you renovate right before you sell and never enjoy it? What’s the point lol
Old 04-06-2023, 03:05 PM   #25559
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
i wouldn't say 'no point', since nothing is guaranteed in life. so many things can happen in 10-20 years, and i don't want to wait till i'm an old man to live in a detached house unless i truly can't afford to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Hey unit,

What if instead of eating rice and beans for a couple years you devote that effort to increasing your income? Nothing wrong with the rice and beans but I feel there needs to be a longer term goal or you will be in the same position a couple years down the road. Also even if your rental is slightly cashflow negative you are still building equity and get the appreciation. Not ideal but it’s not crazy bad. Appreciation in the lower mainland can be more than most peoples full time jobs.
that's a good point, but i run my own business and pay myself this salary that is more than enough for me, except for securing a massive loan apparently lol. even if i increased it now it wouldn't do me much good to secure a bigger loan for a few years since they take a 2 yr average. also i hate paying so much in taxes so i like to keep my salary somewhat modest. buying a second place would be hard since it's cashflow negative, i would need even more money from the bank and i already have the problem of not having enough.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:26 PM   #25560
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I'm not hearing kids in this situation as a reason for upsizing.

What's the point of inheriting a detached house when you're 60 years old and can't do the things that you want to do, like gardening and building space for your pets?
Those sound exactly like the hobbies of a 60-80 year old

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:27 PM   #25561
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I like trees but when morons plan them within a few feet of the house you have to wonder what they were thinking?
That it looks pretty now, who cares what'll happen in a decade or three!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:52 PM   #25562

Also have you run the math on how much you can afford now? Cuz the rates are still super high and your payments are most likely gonna be way more expensive than your current MTG plus additional borrowed amount. That's why it kinda sucks to upgrade now cuz your qualified borrowing is less plus your payments will be much higher.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:42 PM   #25563
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
How oome a 2 bedroom doesn't work for 2 adults? Is it just the shape of the place or layout maybe?

I'm doing 1 and a den for 2 adults and 2 dogs... it's not bad... no ideal but not bad. 2 bedroom would be perfect I think. That said I'm on the ground floor and have a big patio too.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #25564
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
How oome a 2 bedroom doesn't work for 2 adults? Is it just the shape of the place or layout maybe?

I'm doing 1 and a den for 2 adults and 2 dogs... it's not bad... no ideal but not bad. 2 bedroom would be perfect I think. That said I'm on the ground floor and have a big patio too.
I'm guessing a few factors involved including preferences. My friend and his wife live in a 2 BR condo, but both WFH 5 days/week, both are homebodies, and they're itching for more space.

Then in my case we live in a 1+den but we both work long hours out of the house, and generally prefer spending time off out of the house.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:17 PM   #25565
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
we're already saving a good amount per month but yes the additional would be around $3k per month by not living in the condo. also if we did sell it it would mean we'd be positioned to buy without conditions. yeah the issue is mainly that we don't really have enough money to bridge the gap to get the mortgage we need for a desirable property. we can afford the monthly if we get the mortgage, but the bank won't take a lot of our income into account since a lot of changes to our income happened recently.
Bridge loans are your friend in this situation - they're easy to get from the bank and they buy you enough time to sell your current place if you need to buy something else. Interest rates can be fairly high for them but they are just a short term bandaid so you can get a place without conditions if needed.

We did that with our current purchase - bought with a completion date that was about 10 weeks out then listed our previous place and needed about a month of a bridge loan. Bank had no problem with it.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:52 PM   #25566
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

i have 3 cats so ya.. lol

it does work but we just want a little more room especially a hobby room, or a yoga/exercise room.
right now our second room is basically half storage half cat room. they have their litter bins in there and their cat trees. also i have so much sports gear... 5 bikes between the two of us, skis, tons of hiking/backpacking/climbing gear. our building has a gym but its mostly full of stuff i dont use. i like using my road bike on a bike trainer not the spin class keisers they have in there. right now my bike is in my living room on the trainer. also we like stretching/yoga and the gym doesn't have a lot of areas to do that without disturbances and bright lights.

yeah overall it's just a really big nice to have, not an urgent need.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:31 PM   #25567

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Bridge loans are your friend in this situation - they're easy to get from the bank and they buy you enough time to sell your current place if you need to buy something else. Interest rates can be fairly high for them but they are just a short term bandaid so you can get a place without conditions if needed.

We did that with our current purchase - bought with a completion date that was about 10 weeks out then listed our previous place and needed about a month of a bridge loan. Bank had no problem with it.
There's a caveat with bridge loans, some banks might not bridge you unless you have a signed offer on hand for your place. That was the case for us when we bought our house and sold our TH after.

You can however push out your closing date 2 months out so to give yourselves more time to sort out your moving business.

For the discussion of space. We really hurt for space during covid because we both worked from home and we were too meeting heavy to be in the same room and that's why we went house hunting. We are still both FT wfh but we have a lot more space now even with the 2nd child. We needed the space and can understand why two adults need more than 2 bdrm.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:17 AM   #25568

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Most cites require a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio for replacing mature trees, but that's a new tree with a DBH of <20cm.

With the recent updates to infill and 'affordable housing' demand, I don't think City staff will a development over a single tree if it means adding an addition 2-3 units to a lot.
I think you have too much faith on city staff when it comes to zoning issues. I haven't spoken directly with city staff but those who have (builders, urbanists, housing advocates) universally say that city staff (planning and zoning) don't believe there's a housing crisis and, even if they do, they don't believe that they have anything to do with resolving it. It's not just bad local leaders that are the problem with housing but city staff who don't think anything needs to be done.

They're not interested in helping with housing (example):

https://twitter.com/424ds/status/164...GRRqquclpKGBaA
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2023, 07:21 AM   #25569

https://twitter.com/andreawoo/status...igPiPUKMJkjmkA

Pretty messed up that this DTES room rents for $1300.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:33 AM   #25570
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://twitter.com/andreawoo/status...igPiPUKMJkjmkA

Pretty messed up that this DTES room rents for $1300.

this shit looks like it belongs in saw or something. totally has horror movie vibes to it.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2023, 09:03 AM   #25571
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
to be fair, someone had to beat the shit out of it first, at least in the link it notes it's undergoing reno vs left as-is to try to rent out. if it came with it's own washroom it's a step up from many SRO's

i think a fairer assessment would be post reno, how much is invested to make it rentable...

if this is an SRO, and if they put in stainless steel fixtures/counteres to make it more durable, someone will complain that it looks too institutional

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:44 AM   #25572

The price you pay for down town living they make it sound like you are forced to live there
Old 04-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #25573
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Whether it’s SRO’s or COOP’s,many people given these opportunities treat their homes like shit. No pride of ownership.

Working as a telecom tech for 6+ years and going into these places regularly id say half, if not more of the govt. subsidized coops in this city are in appalling shape. For “regular” people to treat their homes like this is embarrassing. Especially when given an opportunity to live in a community for basically half or less of market rent
Old 04-08-2023, 11:08 AM   #25574
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Why would there be a "pride of ownership" if these people rent?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #25575
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
that's his point, there is none b/c they don't own it so it gets treated like shit like a rental car

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote