REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-17-2023, 06:52 PM   #26101
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
This is one of the things my fellow commies are too scared to say for seeming like xenophobes, but the reality is, bringing over a set number of immigrants with absolutely no consideration for housing and quality of life (because let's be honest 90% of them are being brought over here and chained to shit jobs that pay for shit living conditions) we aren't doing them or us any favours. It's not the "bring us your hungry, you're poor and we will help them" sort of situation. It's big, shitty corporations lobbying to get people to work for way too little on one end, then the government getting interest free loans from the rich on the other end. Neither is motivated by making a better life for new or current citizens.
Well I feel like I can say this now that time gone but Telus was a terribleeee offender for this type of shit.

Search Craigslist for technician jobs, their “contractor” companies are Indian guys who have an in with someone, they hire TFW pay them less than minimum wage based on a contract you’re stuck to, and have 3 guys following one guy around figuring out the jobs as they go.

Telus knows this and there were even people who were trying to escalate this to larger bodies but of course that all gets stifled.

These are the same guys. It’s one thing as you said to bring in skilled, smart, people but to use TFW to undercut your regular worker and then increase your bills after strong arming the people they pay “more” to lol it’s so gross
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2023, 07:10 PM   #26102
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
90K Salary should net 65K
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 08:39 PM   #26103
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
I've never ordered a coffee delivery so I don't really care. My wife allows me outside my house so I'll just walk down the street.
RIP Mr. HappySlip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:02 PM   #26104
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
He's mentioned he makes just under $90k salary, so I put that into an income tax calculator and it said his after tax income is about $72k or a 21% average tax rate. I don't know his exact net, just from what the calculator spit out.

RE: girlfriend making $50k, he's made a comment on her lower income, but what can one do. He's been with her for like six years. Hard to leave someone because they don't make enough money.

He also eats out, wears nice clothes, and gets a $60 haircut EVERY two weeks. So money goes quickly. With gas, insurance, and car payment that's easily $1,000 a month there. Oh he just spent $2k on the new Samsung S23 Ultra. Honestly, after seeing that phone, it makes me want it too.. Lol
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:31 PM   #26105
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I find it refreshing when I'm in the US, dealing with actual local citizens who work in such positions but carry a level of poise and grace, common sense.
You and I are clearly travelling to very different parts of the US lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:32 PM   #26106
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
tell me more stories like your friend to make me feel better about my financial choices
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:55 PM   #26107

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I actually just ran the math cuz I was curious how much $500k will cost at current rates. Here's what I got. $500k with 20% down so $400k mortgage amortized over 30y at 5.1% rate, so after stress test of 7.1% monthly payment is $2688.13 + $600 housing cost a month = $3288.13 /0.45% of income so you need to make $7306.95 a month x 12 months = $87683.46 gross annual. Not exactly high income for Vancouver and easily doable for a couple. Your real monthly payments are $2171.80 at 5.1% so you still have room for strata fees some property tax at $2500 a month.

You numbers are a bit off and trend towards the minimum. It's not impossible but it's hard to be at $600/m for other costs.
1 bed condos right off the bat is at $350/m strata fees, many are more.
$600 for insurance a year on the low side
$1500 for property and utility tax
hydro, internet would avg out to $100/m min

And like others said, it's hard to save 100k. If it's a couple, a 1bed becomes quite tight on space, and if you WFH it's even harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I guess I can look at my buddy.

$90,000 = Salary
$72,000 = Net after taxes
$6,000 = Net monthly income
$1,300 = Rent for a one bedroom basement suite right now (rent is low as he's been there for awhile)

5% down on a $500,000 principle residence is $25,000, so he would need to save $1,000 a month for 25 months and he would have the down payment. So pretty much, if he didn't have his car payment, he would have been there.

If he marries his gf, then his household income would go up by $50,000 (~what his gf makes a year)
Your friend's numbers don't add up. He should be paying more than 20% in taxes and deductions at 90k. My memory tells me it should be around 65k take home which is a little more than 5k a month. I was right at that income a few years ago. Nonetheless it's tough to save $1000 a month even at that income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Wait, people making $90k net $72k? Really?
They don't. Well they shouldn't anyways.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:07 AM   #26108
RS Veteran

What are strata / condo fees like these days in the GVRD?
Quote:
Old 05-18-2023, 05:26 AM   #26109
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Like .60 a square foot seems to be pretty normal. They have increased a lot due to insurance, and fucking everything else I guess lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:23 AM   #26110
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
What are strata / condo fees like these days in the GVRD?
Trending very much toward ON levels after we brought in the same system of pre-paying for future repairs (rather than special levy) and insurance going insane.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:42 AM   #26111
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
He's mentioned he makes just under $90k salary, so I put that into an income tax calculator and it said his after tax income is about $72k or a 21% average tax rate. I don't know his exact net, just from what the calculator spit out.

RE: girlfriend making $50k, he's made a comment on her lower income, but what can one do. He's been with her for like six years. Hard to leave someone because they don't make enough money.

He also eats out, wears nice clothes, and gets a $60 haircut EVERY two weeks. So money goes quickly. With gas, insurance, and car payment that's easily $1,000 a month there. Oh he just spent $2k on the new Samsung S23 Ultra. Honestly, after seeing that phone, it makes me want it too.. Lol
If you spend enough time in the personal finance blogosphere, the main assumption is that people who rent always invest the difference and come out ahead of the homeowner who sinks their money into a non productive asset over the long term. However, the reality is that the common renter is like your friend who lacks discipline and is making poor choices - (I.e. can't decide whether to marry his girlfriend after 6 years or move on and try to find someone else who has more potential and a higher ceiling).

With that said, even the most disciplined renter would have a hard time getting into the real estate market today. My point about discipline still holds however.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 09:53 AM   #26112
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
However, the reality is that the common renter is like your friend who lacks discipline and is making poor choices - (I.e. can't decide whether to marry his girlfriend after 6 years or move on and try to find someone else who has more potential and a higher ceiling).
If that's what it comes down to when people decide whether to marry or stay with the person in a relationship, then it is really kind of sad. (And the lower income person should really have figured this out earlier and dump the other person's a$$ because he/she is just wasting each other's time).
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:03 AM   #26113
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
If you spend enough time in the personal finance blogosphere, the main assumption is that people who rent always invest the difference and come out ahead of the homeowner who sinks their money into a non productive asset over the long term.
What difference? My friends rent for a 1br shoebox is more than my mortgage.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #26114
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If that's what it comes down to when people decide whether to marry or stay with the person in a relationship, then it is really kind of sad. (And the lower income person should really have figured this out earlier and dump the other person's a$$ because he/she is just wasting each other's time).
Yah that's kinda fucked up... I was with someone before who made 6 figures but I was unhappy.

Now I'm with someone who has unstable income but I'm happy as a clam. Was I supposed to stay unhappy to have fancier dinners? lol

In either case, the income never even popped into my head at all as something to consider. Maybe once I thought it would be nice to have a sugarmama, but I'm a bit old for that lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 10:11 AM   #26115
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Being in a relationship because your s/o makes what you deem “enough” money seems like a recipe for losing far more money in your future lol

If making more money than the other person is a consideration my wife should have dumped me a while back lol
Old 05-18-2023, 10:13 AM   #26116

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Clearly the girl is getting the worse end of the stick here, you have a partner that makes $90k still leases a car and rents a basement. Good looking future right there.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 11:59 AM   #26117

Lol its truly fucked up if anyone is saying earning potential is that big of a factor for partnership. Literally gross. That said, my wife makes more money than I do.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-18-2023, 12:10 PM   #26118

I lit a fire here.

It's not about earning potential per se, it's about ambition and wanting to build something. The world is changing fast. The money follows from having a partnership/marriage where both parties are supporting and pushing each other to achieve more.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 12:16 PM   #26119
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Trending very much toward ON levels after we brought in the same system of pre-paying for future repairs (rather than special levy) and insurance going insane.
ouch

Some condo fees here cost more than a monthly mortgage lol
Quote:
Old 05-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #26120
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Lol its truly fucked up if anyone is saying earning potential is that big of a factor for partnership. Literally gross. That said, my wife makes more money than I do.
Quote:
I lit a fire here.

It's not about earning potential per se, it's about ambition and wanting to build something. The world is changing fast. The money follows from having a partnership/marriage where both parties are supporting and pushing each other to achieve more.
I would actually say earning potential is a big part of who you pick, but it's at the back of the list, of things someone would want. Yeah I'm shallow, deal with it

Tapioca is correct, when I would date women, and they didn't have any ambition to get a higher end job / go further in life, it would.be a turn off. (I'm talking like someone with no school, making 15-25$/hr)

Ex: Knowing I'm going to be carrying the vacation costs down the line, I'm paying the majority of the "nicer" property she gets to live in, etc, while she just "drags along" with no education and a lower end job.

Why does one person need to put in the efforts of school, sacrifices, and working overtime, so that the other gets a nice life just for being there?

Also goes in the marriage / divorce direction, if a dude makes 150k a year, and he found the one making 50k a year, and they get divorced, he is going to get financially raped. Prey he does not have any savings or property, then he will get properly financially raped.
Vs if both people made 150k, it would not be as bad.

Spoiler!

Yeah it's not good to look at things in the example above, but from how many people I know paying out 2500$/mo for their ex wives for alimony, and child support, THAT disgusts me.
Not to mention some of those poor bastards lost 10-40% of their net worth, for "making her happy by marrying her".
I bet she is real happy after the divorce, the payout of the property she never dropped a dollar of downpayment for, and his current efforts working 7-3, so he can give her XX% for the next 5-18 years.

Ok I'm done

Someone post a disgusting real estate deal to get this thread back on track

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 12:45 PM   #26121

Don't get me wrong I'm shallow. I just put looks way up that list.
Truth is though, if you pick someone based on anything but the whole package you're in for a shitty time. That's a fuckin long time to stay together with someone you don't really like.
Oh also that unpopular opinion comparison is absolutely full retard.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 01:10 PM   #26122
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
What if they are a gold digger?
Old 05-18-2023, 01:12 PM   #26123

The ambitions/earning potential of your partner are completely relevant to the real estate discussion. If you aspire to own something larger than a 1-bedroom condo, then it's probably advisable to think carefully about whom you decide to partner up with.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 01:21 PM   #26124
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Because of my job, I meet a lot of people and what I've learned is that there are a lot of good spouses still out there. Good wholesome men and women.

It's just tough for the older women because they're getting older. A 35 yo man has his pick of the 25 yo and the 45 yo. I think most men would pick the younger woman. It's hard if you're a woman, 35, and single. The dating pool is quite limited.

I agree, that the woman should bring something to the table as well. We're living in Vancouver, your partner needs to make money otherwise your life will probably be harder. For guys, there are tons of girls in the 25-45 range that make $75k+ and who are good looking that you can choose from, you just have to look for them.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:27 PM   #26125

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
For guys, there are tons of girls in the 25-45 range that make $75k+ and who are good looking that you can choose from, you just have to look for them.
sugar mama is the way to go

Spoiler!

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: