REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:30 PM   #26126
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If that's what it comes down to when people decide whether to marry or stay with the person in a relationship, then it is really kind of sad. (And the lower income person should really have figured this out earlier and dump the other person's a$$ because he/she is just wasting each other's time).
For what it's worth though there's only been a small slice of years (maybe last 40-50 years) and a small number of countries where marrying for money wasn't a top consideration. Basically that slice of time is when a real middle class existed and income mobility was possible so that if you married down you figured it'd be fine. Wasn't long ago that a woman marrying a poor dude was mostly what we read about in romance novels and fairy tales.

With the middle class being hollowed out and cost of living going nuts I can see that someone's wealth or income becomes a top priority again.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 01:34 PM   #26127
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Because of my job, I meet a lot of people and what I've learned is that there are a lot of good spouses still out there. Good wholesome men and women.

It's just tough for the older women because they're getting older. A 35 yo man has his pick of the 25 yo and the 45 yo. I think most men would pick the younger woman. It's hard if you're a woman, 35, and single. The dating pool is quite limited.

I agree, that the woman should bring something to the table as well. We're living in Vancouver, your partner needs to make money otherwise your life will probably be harder. For guys, there are tons of girls in the 25-45 range that make $75k+ and who are good looking that you can choose from, you just have to look for them.
I'm regularly exposed to higher earning households in terms of my personal network and through business relationships. You don't see a lot of people who are successful in life (mid-40s and younger) with partners who aren't pulling their weight professionally in these circles.

In my experience, I was fortunate to have met my wife when we were both in the same income bracket. We make roughly the same amount today, but we have moved up several income brackets since we first met. I don't think that my wife would have married me if I didn't have a good mind and didn't show ambition.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #26128
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
I've been with my wife for 22 years (Married for 14), literally our entire adult lives, since before either of us had any real money and even started our current careers. We basically built our entire future together from the ground up, so none of these conversations/considerations about "earning potential" or "equal earning" were ever a thing. As it turned out I now make more than twice her salary, but it doesn't bother me that she hasn't caught up with me. There was a time there I was going to school and not working while she was working and footing the bill for all of our dates etc.
I don't really care what she's earning, as long as she is happy doing what she is doing.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 02:37 PM   #26129
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
If you're not choosing your wife based off how it fits in on your financial spreadsheet you're doing it wrong bro
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 02:41 PM   #26130

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I've been with my wife for 22 years (Married for 14), literally our entire adult lives, since before either of us had any real money and even started our current careers. We basically built our entire future together from the ground up, so none of these conversations/considerations about "earning potential" or "equal earning" were ever a thing. As it turned out I now make more than twice her salary, but it doesn't bother me that she hasn't caught up with me. There was a time there I was going to school and not working while she was working and footing the bill for all of our dates etc.
I don't really care what she's earning, as long as she is happy doing what she is doing.
Same, been with my wife since 1996 she was just 18 when we got together both of us had nothing.

Today I make more than her but honestly she's been more successful than I have and has really climbed the ladder, unfortunately for her she works for the Provincial Govt. who is 20 years behind with there wages. No word of a lie we have second year apprentices making more than her with some OT and she manages a huge team of around 150 I believe, I mean she has the pension but seems pretty fucked lol.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 03:09 PM   #26131

Funny thing is that my wife was happy at her old job, until a series of things made it turn sour and she stopped being happy, and instead would be coming home angry.

Then an opportunity came up to get her foot in the door with BC gov, and even with lower pay than her previous job (better benefits and work hours though) I told her to go for it.
One year in, she's already made a move to a new position 4 steps higher, and making significantly more than she was after 15 years at her old job at the wood window place, with so much more opportunity from there. But the biggest thing is that she's back to coming home happy, excited even to talk about the things she's doing at her job.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 03:16 PM   #26132

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Bringing something to the table is part of it for sure, but I'm not going to pick a total bitch who's a real estate agent pulling 6 figures over the girl who's amazing to spend time with that's a barista.
I've got an RN though who's hot and also extremely fun so life is good in that sense. That said we both make pretty good money and we are still fucking poor lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #26133
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
I think of a pension as if it's like a savings account that you're paying into now and get to withdraw from it later when you retire.

Or you work private sector, make more now, but no pension later.

Pros and cons.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:58 PM   #26134
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 154 Times in 35 Posts
anyone noticing prices for detached homes and some areas for apartments going absolutely nuts last few weeks?
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 06:17 PM   #26135

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
That's not surprising, people see that gov can't afford to raise rates and more, prices still below the peak, if you can afford to buy why wait, when rates drop prices will continue to go up, don't forget all the illegals and legal immigrants and war refugees we're buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
anyone noticing prices for detached homes and some areas for apartments going absolutely nuts last few weeks?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:31 PM   #26136
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
BoC was just saying very recently that people shouldn't expect rates to drop any time soon though, and it did consider raising rates at the last meeting.

Personally, I see no chance of rate dropping in Q2 / Q3 this year, and it is still unlikely that rates will drop in Q4. I wouldn't even be surprised to see a 25pt rate hike some time this year too, but there doesn't seem to be much room to move up at all (otherwise stuff would start breaking).
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 07:46 PM   #26137
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Having a women who makes the big bucks is overrated. I told my wife not to go back to work. Nicer having someone at home, but apparently she doesn’t want to do that. ��

Last edited by hud 91gt; 05-18-2023 at 07:52 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2023, 07:55 PM   #26138

I will say that ever since the flex day, the house has never been cleaner
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #26139
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
I see a few realtors on a regular basis and they have said the market has picked up in the past few weeks, the sense is that people are thinking interest rates will not be rising anymore so the sentiment right now is this a good time to buy.

They said this happens a lot, people get sick of multiples and the stress of the rising interest rates, so they take a break from the market, and then once they get any hope (like the notion of interest rates to stay put, they see that as a sign), and they return to the market and it goes nuts again.

One of them who just sold a house in the newton area said he had 16 offers, with 90% of them over asking and the top one was subject free. So yeah, it seems like it's getting hot again.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:10 AM   #26140
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
The latest on the new Gilmore development...

That intersection & the neighbouring towers are fucked...

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...flooded_again/
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 11:20 AM   #26141
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Being in a relationship because your s/o makes what you deem “enough” money seems like a recipe for losing far more money in your future lol

If making more money than the other person is a consideration my wife should have dumped me a while back lol
Majority of higher earning girls these days would never date a dude making less than them. Unless they have prospect of out earning them in the future aka doctor/dentist in school, entrepreneur, early lawyer, etc.

In general, dating girls that make high income is NOT the sugar mama life you're thinking. When do you see girls buying things for guys? It's always the guy that buys the $2-5K bags for the girls, cars, trips, expensive dinners & activities. The more they make, the more they expect you to do for them. I noticed only guys who make sub $120K care about finding a girl who makes $90 - 100K+. Which makes sense, you need to do that to survive.

I’m also not advising to find a deadbeat person who no career either making $15-25 forever.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 05-19-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 11:35 AM   #26142
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Majority of higher earning girls these days would never date a dude making less than them. Unless they have prospect of out earning them in the future aka doctor/dentist in school, entrepreneur, early lawyer, etc.

In general, dating girls that make high income is NOT the sugar mama life you're thinking. When do you see girls buying things for guys? It's always the guy that buys the $2-5K bags for the girls, cars, trips, expensive dinners & activities. The more they make, the more they expect you to do for them. I noticed only guys who make sub $120K care about finding a girl who makes $90 - 100K+. Which makes sense, you need to do that to survive.
I know very few “high earning” women who aren’t either married or in a very long term/permanent relationship. Whether they are doctors or business owners most people who are 30+ high earners are generally what I’d consider “normal” people following societal norms in terms of relationships and families.

The ones I do know who are making good money and single are generally realtors or mortgage brokers who are either crazy or have a bunch of baggage lol

I think generally speaking following those societal norms whether male or female goes hand in hand with high earning roles, especially in globo-corpo land. It’s probably VERY infrequent you find big VP’s and CEOs as some 40 year old single guy or even rarer a single female. In visible positions like that I think questions start to get raised behind the scenes and the image isn’t great regardless of the nature of the person
Old 05-19-2023, 12:01 PM   #26143
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I know very few “high earning” women who aren’t either married or in a very long term/permanent relationship. Whether they are doctors or business owners most people who are 30+ high earners are generally what I’d consider “normal” people following societal norms in terms of relationships and families.

The ones I do know who are making good money and single are generally realtors or mortgage brokers who are either crazy or have a bunch of baggage lol

I think generally speaking following those societal norms whether male or female goes hand in hand with high earning roles, especially in globo-corpo land. It’s probably VERY infrequent you find big VP’s and CEOs as some 40 year old single guy or even rarer a single female. In visible positions like that I think questions start to get raised behind the scenes and the image isn’t great regardless of the nature of the person
The girls that I hang out (majority born here) with are 24 to 31 and are all "great" earners. 80% of them make over $60K, with 50% hovering between $60-90K, and maybe 20% of them making over $90 - 130K. This city creates an income bias because their parents have property or have done well to send their kids over seas to be educated here. 99% of these girls graduated with some sort of degree and many have 5-6+ years of grad school beyond that.

I bet you > 50% of them will be over $100-150K by the time they hit 30 - 40 from being in senior manager positions in any corporate setting.

But holy fuck, listening to them shit on dudes making $70 - 90K and how they make the same as them and they don't need no mans anymore. We're really entering a new generation of dating where both men and women are equals in earnings. So not only do we gotta be 6'4, we gotta make more, spend more, and be funny

I always step in and remind them that the guys they're talking about making $80 - 90K+ puts them in the top 15% percentile, if not top 10% if you're between 25-29.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Bringing something to the table is part of it for sure, but I'm not going to pick a total bitch who's a real estate agent pulling 6 figures over the girl who's amazing to spend time with that's a barista.
I've got an RN though who's hot and also extremely fun so life is good in that sense. That said we both make pretty good money and we are still fucking poor lol.
I think men treat earnings as a minimum threshold aka girls earns $60 - 90K, cool, plus 1 point, anything below, we stay relatively neutral unless her personal finances are bad.

Girls treat dudes like
- Earn $60 - 75K - Negative 2 points
- Earn $75 - 90K - Neutral
- Earn 90 - 130K - + 1 points (Becomes Neutral when you're dating over 30)
- Earn $130 - 200K - +2 points
- Earn 200K - 500K - + 3 points
- $500K - + 4 points

With social media, men are practically invisible to women

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 12:51 PM   #26144
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Depends how you deliver dat D
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 01:13 PM   #26145
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
But holy fuck, listening to them shit on dudes making $70 - 90K and how they make the same as them and they don't need no mans anymore. We're really entering a new generation of dating where both men and women are equals in earnings. So not only do we gotta be 6'4, we gotta make more, spend more, and be funny

I always step in and remind them that the guys they're talking about making $80 - 90K+ puts them in the top 15% percentile, if not top 10% if you're between 25-29.

I think men treat earnings as a minimum threshold aka girls earns $60 - 90K, cool, plus 1 point, anything below, we stay relatively neutral unless her personal finances are bad.

Girls treat dudes like
- $500K - + 4 points

With social media, men are practically invisible to women
I know women like that. Aggressive, ambitious, career-driven, eggs frozen in their 20s, making great money, playing the field. Have even more stringent requirements for guys that they date (better have that GIGACHAD body in addition to everything else).

All I can say is that things start to unravel when they start nearing their 40s and having kids becomes increasingly important and all these GIGACHAD's (lol) have all moved on to a younger version of who they are.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 01:30 PM   #26146
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Honestly, at this stage in the lower mainland, If you don’t own a home and you’re one of those people making 70/80/120k and you’re turning your nose up at people, it’s kind of an lol moment

Like sure turn your nose up as people, but as we’ve been saying on the previous pages no one is envying your grind paying $2800 rent and a car lease with no savings

There’s some “younger” guys I worked with before I picture then as kids but they are all early 30’s now lol but some of these people fucking grinded in their early years and with some luck own 2-3 homes, have their own business, substantial assets etc.

Most of those people are humble af compared to some of these people who think they are kings shit making 130k as some wanna-be banker but have shit all for assets
Old 05-19-2023, 01:32 PM   #26147

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Gerbs - no wonder you haven't introduced me to your friends, I'm too broke LOOOOOOL
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #26148
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Might be looks too
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #26149

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Might be looks too
Sheesh meeting you at the track, covered in brake dust, was not the best impression eh

See you at ridge Sunday?

Edit: RE related question / on topic to current topic: If you own a place, do you think your gf/bf should be paying you rent? In my opinion, it's pretty black and white. If you were both renting and moved in together to save costs - you would still be renting and you would split 50/50. Why does it change if one partner owns it?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 05-19-2023 at 02:07 PM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2023, 02:14 PM   #26150

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:

Girls treat dudes like
- $500K - + 4 points
- Broke Chad with a possible drug problem and no future that her parents will hate - + 10 points

Edited that for you
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: