REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:48 AM   #26176
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
kind of depends on the culture at the firm IMO

i was a sub (in the office though) for a while and we believed in safety...were COR certified if that means anything to anyone
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:05 AM   #26177
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
kind of depends on the culture at the firm IMO

i was a sub (in the office though) for a while and we believed in safety...were COR certified if that means anything to anyone
Yeah, our company is a sub and also COR certified. We have a full time Safety Officer that we move around sites in our lower mainland office as well who can certify for fall protection, lifts ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
What line of work is that?
We do steel stud, drywall, acoustic ceilings, acoustic specialty items.

Also most of the work we do is for the bigger GC's, the PCL's, Graham's, Bird, SBW, Ledcors ect... so those companies don't fuck around with Safety.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:13 PM   #26178
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
I'm on the maintenance side of things where downtime costs them a lot money and shitty companies are willing to turn a blind eye to guys doing something unsafe to get things up and running again. I've heard a lot of stories from coworkers who used to do contractor work out to places and if you questioned anything safety wise you were asked not to come back the next day.

It's usually the smaller companies that do this, the big public companies with lots of money care a lot more about safety.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:40 PM   #26179
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post

It's usually the smaller companies that do this, the big public companies with lots of money care a lot more about safety.
What they don't tell you, is that the big companies care more about safety, because they have had enough lawsuits, WCB claims, jobs go over budget, because they did not do things properly, for years, errrrr decades

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #26180
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
1-2 major WCB claims and it would sink most small companies
Old 05-21-2023, 11:46 AM   #26181
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
COR is a certification to get a discount on your worksafe insurance. Likely to be cut out in a few years anyhow. The discount is based on your payroll, so the percentage saved is obviously exponential for large companies. Not worth small companies to get it (expensive yearly audits of your program etc). My wife use to do these audits all the time.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #26182
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
The first rule of dating is to be attractive.

But yes, lots of older successful woman do stay single and become cat/dog owners because there aren't enough high achieving and high status men to go around. This explains why we need more housing - we will continue to see people not forming households with others and instead, opt to remain single for the long term.
That’s the successful woman’s excuse for being single. More like that can’t find someone successful that they can actually get along with for extended periods of time. Fact of the matter is, the boss lady is a boss lady. Type A personality, that like to control. They think they want a successful man, but in reality they should be finding a house husband.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 05-22-2023 at 08:40 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2023, 02:32 PM   #26183
in the butt

I got inspiration from badhobz+Tofus post in good buys thread

https://www.rew.ca/properties/506616...hy&sort=latest

Solid C- realtor, or stay at home mom kind of posting with garbage photos. The value probably dropped by 10k at minimum, just from the shitty photos

Also, who puts a chandelier above their bed in a low rise ceiling condo.....

I was going to give the listing benefit of the doubt, for it being a FSBO listing, but even that does not come up

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

Old 05-25-2023, 03:18 PM   #26184
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Also, who puts a chandelier above their bed in a low rise ceiling condo.....

My wife's cousin somehow installed 4 chandeliers into a langeway suite. We are all wondering what stupid shit he's going to do next.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:17 PM   #26185
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ike-after-sale

TLDR: Lease of land expired in 2022. Residents vote no to buy the land even though it would only increase their rent by 7%. Now, they are screwed because somebody else bought the land and are going to increase rent by 200%.

Quote:
Residents at a Surrey housing co-op that has been around for 40 years face a difficult decision after the land was recently sold to a new owner — agree to steep and sudden rent increases or move out by July 1.

Many of the low income seniors and young families who have been living at Totem Housing Co-operative are scrambling to understand if they have any other options.

Their situation comes as other renters find themselves in a similar bind as landlords are raising rents or seeking new tenants who will pay more in order to keep up with maintenance and other costs.

Judy Patka, 79, has lived at Totem for 15 years and has been paying $600 a month to the co-op for a one-bedroom apartment. She makes $2,100 a month and the new owner is demanding $1,600.

In 2017, Patka sat on the co-op’s board, which was in favour of buying the land even though some residents were opposed.

“We checked the rents in the area to see if we could increase our rents for a one-bedroom from $600 to $750 so we could try to save a little more and get a better mortgage, but (it was), Nope, nope, nope.’ ”

Since then, she has been worried that the land could be sold out from under the residents for redevelopment.

“So, I’m really frustrated and (ticked). Sure, go complaining now, but you know what? You have done this to yourselves,” said Patka.

Thom Armstrong, CEO of the Co-operative Housing Federation of B.C. (CHF B.C.), agreed that while the residents at Totem now face a disturbing outcome, it could have been different.

He said that the previous pension fund owners offered the co-op the chance to buy the land in 2017. At the time, it would have cost less than $10 million. The co-op was given some discounts, but there would still have been rental increases of between three and seven per cent.

“It was pretty reasonable at that point and they said, ‘No,’ ” said Armstrong, lamenting the missed opportunity.

In Burnaby last July, the CHF B.C. worked with the City of Burnaby and B.C. Housing to keep 425 units of co-op housing for seniors and low-income residents by helping the co-op to buy its three buildings when the owner was selling them.

Currently, it’s working on several deals with co-ops on leased land that are at risk of being sold to the private sector in Coquitlam.

“We’re trying to recreate what we were able to do in Burnaby,” said Armstrong.

The “tragedy” goes beyond the plight of the current families in Totem’s 58 units, but includes the loss of having those more affordable rental units in the future, said Armstrong.

The co-op had already in 2017 paid off its mortgage for the units in the buildings, but its lease for the land expired in December 2022.

The lease, dating to 1982, included the right of first refusal, which gave the co-op a chance to make an offer on the land if the pension fund owners were to sell. However, when the lease expired, a six-month extension offered to the co-op didn’t include a right of first refusal.

Richard Coulter’s daughter and son-in-law and three grandchildren have been living at Totem. He’s a commercial real estate developer and had reached out to the pension fund owners of the land in the late fall of 2022 with a plan for the co-op to assign its first right of refusal to a company that would buy the land and offer residents 24 months of not having to pay rent and then ultimately $50,000 to find somewhere else to live. He said he got a reply from a consultant working for the pension fund that said the land wasn’t for sale.

“Then the property suddenly was sold (in 2023) and there was an announcement that the rents were going up over 200 per cent,” said Coulter, who is meeting with residents to gauge interest in seeking legal advice.

The new owner is a numbered company whose director is Munish Katyal, who is the co-owner of Indo-Canadian Voice newspaper, who didn’t return Postmedia News’s phone calls.

“It would have given people a way to plan,” said Coulter, adding that the co-op buildings are in need of significant investment. “They are falling apart and not built to code with materials that are hazardous. They need replacing.”
Old 05-29-2023, 08:12 AM   #26186

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Shitty, no protection under the RTA at all either.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:12 AM   #26187

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
So they were dumb and short sighted then they try to play victim? What did they think? everything is a charity and rent to you for $600 a month? That probably doesn't even cover the expenses or maintenance upkeep.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2023, 10:29 AM   #26188

A guy who is a commercial real estate developer has a son and daughter in law with 3 children living in a low-income coop?.. :/
Old 05-29-2023, 10:53 AM   #26189

^^ I've seen a guy making over $100k own a detached that was spilt to two duplex and sold making $$$$ live in a coop
Old 05-29-2023, 11:24 AM   #26190

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
wait... coop lands are not owned by the gov't or the coop

thats fucked

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:32 AM   #26191

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Cooperative housing =/= government housing.

Most probably own their land, but as we've seen in this article some do not.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #26192

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Cooperative housing =/= government housing.
was thinking of something like a lease to own deal

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 01:01 PM   #26193
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,239 Times in 425 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
So they were dumb and short sighted then they try to play victim? What did they think? everything is a charity and rent to you for $600 a month? That probably doesn't even cover the expenses or maintenance upkeep.
Don't think they did cover upkeep..

“It would have given people a way to plan,” said Coulter, adding that the co-op buildings are in need of significant investment. “They are falling apart and not built to code with materials that are hazardous. They need replacing.”
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 01:28 PM   #26194

O look mortgage rates are going up again, I guess we better subsidize and eat the cost for the poor renters
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2023, 01:34 PM   #26195
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Yikes. It sounds like the board made efforts to educate residents and the vote was still "no" - I wish they'd interviewed some of the co-op residents that voted no?? I'm curious as to the rationale.

I understand that some people have fixed income etc. but when the choice is to come up with 3-7% in rent increase vs. the alternative of 100% increases or losing your home, what purpose does voting "no" achieve? Like, do you expect your cost to never increase? Are you just crossing your fingers that government will swoop in and bail you out?

Overall as I get older I have less and less faith that large groups of people will act/vote rationally...
Old 05-29-2023, 01:42 PM   #26196

Here’s the thought process of the people who voted no:

My rent is going to go up AT ALL? - No.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:38 PM   #26197
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Failed 1,107 Times in 281 Posts

Whats the problem?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:53 PM   #26198
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
what is the CPCs plan for housing specifically? genuinely curious, because all they seem to be good at is blaming the libs. even their website literally does nothing more than blame JT.
who are the gatekeepers they are referring to and how would the CPC circumvent those gatekeepers?

https://www.conservative.ca/cpc/buil...le-can-afford/
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2023, 03:24 PM   #26199
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
From my experience with living at a strata property, the mentality described by Hondaracer is unfortunately common enough that it ruins the situation for the everyone. Some people are literally incapable of seeing the bigger picture even if it could potentially pan out for the worse in a matter of months. There is no logic to it because, for the lack of a better description -- they are just stupid.

It is very frustrating, and when faced with situations like that, my preferred option is to just withdraw myself from having anything to do with this sort of idiocy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Here’s the thought process of the people who voted no:

My rent is going to go up AT ALL? - No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
Yikes. It sounds like the board made efforts to educate residents and the vote was still "no" - I wish they'd interviewed some of the co-op residents that voted no?? I'm curious as to the rationale.

I understand that some people have fixed income etc. but when the choice is to come up with 3-7% in rent increase vs. the alternative of 100% increases or losing your home, what purpose does voting "no" achieve? Like, do you expect your cost to never increase? Are you just crossing your fingers that government will swoop in and bail you out?

Overall as I get older I have less and less faith that large groups of people will act/vote rationally...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2023, 04:45 PM   #26200
in the butt

I wonder what the new value of the property is after the rent went from 600$ to 1800$.

Gross rent multiplier only goes so high in in the GVRD area

I bet you they could flip it for a cool few million once "rents" are at market and not 2005 rent prices.