REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:16 PM   #26201
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I don't get this mentality, so people have no idea of what's going on and how you will survive? Like no idea of simple basic finances? So you get $1200 a month from the gov and you blow through the other $600? What did you do all those years when you were younger, worked? When rent were cheap? Since they under paid all their lives. Hell if my cost of housing is only $600 I'd be rich bitch.

Is it a white people thing? I'd be scared shitless and wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I only had that little of an emergency fund a month with no attempt to make more money. Or are these lazy people that the gov created cuz if they made any money they have to pay taxes and work for a living like regular folk so they choose the lazy way.

Advertisement
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-29-2023, 06:31 PM   #26202
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Is it a white people thing? I'd be scared shitless and wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I only had that little of an emergency fund a month with no attempt to make more money. Or are these lazy people that the gov created cuz if they made any money they have to pay taxes and work for a living like regular folk so they choose the lazy way.

no bro, this is a poor people thing. People who are poor usually dont have good financial planning and this is exactly why they are poor.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-30-2023, 08:57 AM   #26203
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
All you guys who are so quick to call people "lazy" and "poor" are living in your own bubble with no awareness on how life might be for a lot of other people.

Not everyone can just snap fingers, work hard, and live the life they want.

Lots of people aren't born with parents who can pay tuition for them and house/feed them for as long as you want.

Lots of people have physical or mental disabilities that prevent them from taking on different jobs.

In short, not everyone is dealt the same hand when it comes to life circumstances as you are.

So they end up living on less income because they don't have any choice. Luckily for the earlier generations, they could find co-op housing (which the gov't built a lot of in the 70s/80s and then stopped building in the 90s, which was totally stupid decision). People today with the same circumstances aren't so lucky.

And now they become seniors. On a fixed income. Living on $30k per year, or less.

What would you do if you were in the situation? Just go work harder? Stop being lazy?

Don't get me wrong, given the circumstances, in hindsight of course they made an unfortunate decision to vote down the earlier proposals.

But I don't think for a second that everyone here, if they were in their 70s, living on the same income in the same situation, wouldn't have done the same so you can keep the rent down and still be able to buy groceries/transit pass, medicines, etc etc.

It's a sad situation all around. I feel bad for them.

And the people who point fingers at others calling them lazy and poor without knowing those people's specific life circumstances are part of why our housing situation and income gaps are completely messed up and gets worse each year.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:10 AM   #26204
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
I was at a coffee shop a few years ago and couldn’t help overhear the woman sitting next to me who was explaining her situation to someone on the phone. It really stuck with me:
  • She dropped her phone and needed a new one
  • She couldn’t afford to buy a new one outright so took out a tab with Koodo
  • She didn’t understand that the promotion she signed up with would charge $100 down which would be credited back over the next 24 months
  • Because she wasn’t expecting this charge, her bank account got over drafted
  • She got an advance on her paycheque but with the overdraft fee ($40) was now short on being able to pay for daycare
  • Being unable to pay for daycare meant she had to call in sick to work, further compounding the loss of income

It costs a lot of money to be poor and it’s a vicious cycle. For people with the means to simply buy a new phone or absorb the cost of that tab deposit, the story would’ve ended there.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:45 AM   #26205
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
When I bought my F150, it was a pretty excellent deal for the age/mileage/options/condtion (pre the covid price spike on used trucks to boot)

The sellers told me they had an offer kind of in the works (you know how it goes, someone says they want it, but has to go find financing)

I said I had cash, they sold to me. Certainly makes it a lot easier to get those deals when you have the money in hand to make them. Poor people don't get those opportunities.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #26206

Oh and that’s not even thinking about how having money means people give you access to… even more money.

I am by no means wealthy but now that I’m established my bank gives me a decent LOC at prime - .25%. It means I basically don’t worry about keeping immediately available emergency cash… I can put that away in investments and GICs to earn money (or at least combat inflation) without worrying about expenses that pop up.

Last edited by carsncars; 05-30-2023 at 09:55 AM.
carsncars is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #26207
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
I was at a coffee shop a few years ago and couldn’t help overhear the woman sitting next to me who was explaining her situation to someone on the phone. It really stuck with me:
  • She dropped her phone and needed a new one
  • She couldn’t afford to buy a new one outright so took out a tab with Koodo
  • She didn’t understand that the promotion she signed up with would charge $100 down which would be credited back over the next 24 months
  • Because she wasn’t expecting this charge, her bank account got over drafted
  • She got an advance on her paycheque but with the overdraft fee ($40) was now short on being able to pay for daycare
  • Being unable to pay for daycare meant she had to call in sick to work, further compounding the loss of income

It costs a lot of money to be poor and it’s a vicious cycle. For people with the means to simply buy a new phone or absorb the cost of that tab deposit, the story would’ve ended there.
Sounds like shouldn’t have had that baby
Old 05-30-2023, 10:11 AM   #26208
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Can you lock in Prime - .25% forever? that'd be amazing if prime ever dips sub 3-4%

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:13 AM   #26209

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
After losing my job in 2010 and being at rock bottom financially and mentality I told myself never again will I let that happen. I always make sure I have enough money in the bank to cover me should almost anything come up, I realize this isn't an option for many and I'm not going to just say work harder but I think what Badhobz was trying to say is some people are just terrible with money.

I had terrible role models when it came to money management growing up. In the 80's when I was a kid both my parents worked but we were dirt fucking poor, my parents were so bad with money. Every time my mom got paid it would be just enough money to get her our of overdraft so she could go back into overdraft and buy groceries for the next two weeks. I remember delivering papers to make some money and then giving that money I had saved to my dad so he could buy coffee and lunch, 11 years old.

My parents to this day are still terrible with money, I gave my dad 5 figures last year and I know I'll never see it again. Even when my dad had a company with 100 employees, terrible with money. I don't know why but I never really fell into that trap, I've always been more of a if you can't buy it with cash you can't afford it guy but I can see how some people really fuck themselves over with poor decisions.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #26210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Can you lock in Prime - .25% forever? that'd be amazing if prime ever dips sub 3-4%
“Lock” is probably too strong a word (I’m sure the bank could change it if they wanted to) but it’s written as Prime - 0.25%, yes. It’s a pretty standard offer in my profession (healthcare).

When prime was around 2.9% not so long ago, you’re right it was great.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:33 AM   #26211
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
After losing my job in 2010 and being at rock bottom financially and mentality I told myself never again will I let that happen. I always make sure I have enough money in the bank to cover me should almost anything come up, I realize this isn't an option for many and I'm not going to just say work harder but I think what Badhobz was trying to say is some people are just terrible with money.

I had terrible role models when it came to money management growing up. In the 80's when I was a kid both my parents worked but we were dirt fucking poor, my parents were so bad with money. Every time my mom got paid it would be just enough money to get her our of overdraft so she could go back into overdraft and buy groceries for the next two weeks. I remember delivering papers to make some money and then giving that money I had saved to my dad so he could buy coffee and lunch, 11 years old.

My parents to this day are still terrible with money, I gave my dad 5 figures last year and I know I'll never see it again. Even when my dad had a company with 100 employees, terrible with money. I don't know why but I never really fell into that trap, I've always been more of a if you can't buy it with cash you can't afford it guy but I can see how some people really fuck themselves over with poor decisions.
yes its usually inherited from our parents. Much like other life skills, we take after our parents and their social-economic situation. Often its quite hard to surpass them as it requires you to do something completely different then what you grew up with.

In my case, my parents were both dead ass broke growing up but whatever little money they had, they saved up. It wasnt enough. i gave them quite a bit of cash and even some of my student loan money to make ends meet.

However they never had any balls to take chances on things like stocks. they had a couple of grand saved up but it would never get them out of their financial rut.

Currently they are more "wealthy" under their monthly CPP/OAS/GIS money than what they've made working. Luckily their place is paid off so i dont need to subsidize as much.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #26212
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
My parents always listened to wrong people with their life savings. They lost a lot on penny stocks (back when the Vancouver Stock Exchange existed aka swindlers paradise) and even one of those Nigerian prince scams before they were well known. We almost lost our house to that scam and were probably a month away from the bank taking the house and one of those mass family suicides you hear on the news lol
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:34 PM   #26213
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
https://twitter.com/mattilich/status...ILn-YyamkfSM_g

Quote:
Woodframe construction in Vancouver is now in the $425-460 range….was $325-350 about 18 months ago.

Muni fees, up…financing, up…insurance, up,…most projects underway now were bought in 2020/21….we might have one hell of a housing shortage in 2025/26
Been hearing this more and more on housing Twitter. Lots of mentions that construction costs have really jumped a lot in the past couple years.

Combined with how unambitious the fourplex plan is for Vancouver (too small) and there may not be much affordability being introduced as a result. It still beats the plan of cities like Burnaby which is planning to do nothing though.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:27 PM   #26214

Nah bro they can sleep on the new bike lanes that they build??? Free
Old 05-30-2023, 02:28 PM   #26215

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Why don't they just move back in with their parents?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #26216
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
People can’t afford 5 bananas in Canada and Trudeau spending days tweeting about Uganda

Uganda be kidding me bro
Old 05-30-2023, 03:06 PM   #26217
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://twitter.com/mattilich/status...ILn-YyamkfSM_g

Been hearing this more and more on housing Twitter. Lots of mentions that construction costs have really jumped a lot in the past couple years.

Combined with how unambitious the fourplex plan is for Vancouver (too small) and there may not be much affordability being introduced as a result. It still beats the plan of cities like Burnaby which is planning to do nothing though.
last year i read an article that developers are halting construction projects b/c the cost of construction has escalated to the point the proformas no longer made sense

you know shits actin' wild when developers aren't building b/c it financially doesn't make sense

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:10 PM   #26218
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
PP talking about Niagara falls LOL.

This is Niagara falls USA

See more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...as_i_show_you/
Old 05-30-2023, 03:25 PM   #26219

Why don't they move back to India, I heard they needed farmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Why don't they just move back in with their parents?
Old 05-30-2023, 04:52 PM   #26220
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
I was in Buffalo, NY the other week and of course, you have to pass through Niagara Falls, NY. And yes, it is not pretty there. You can get cheap property though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #26221
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

The sellers told me they had an offer kind of in the works (you know how it goes, someone says they want it, but has to go find financing)

I said I had cash, they sold to me. Certainly makes it a lot easier to get those deals when you have the money in hand to make them. Poor people don't get those opportunities.
You just classified me as poor, because I got outbid with all those cash offers, when buying my first 400k condo/townhouse

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #26222
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
PP talking about Niagara falls LOL.

This is Niagara falls USA

See more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...as_i_show_you/
I saw that video in govt house with pp opening his mouth, and someone posted photos of a NG Canada house. Looked like a Vancouver special for 450k. Then they posted pics of the NG USA side, and it was a pristine mansion for 160k.
Either the video editor was hitting the methpipe, or PP is hitting the methpipe

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:08 PM   #26223

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
You just classified me as poor, because I got outbid with all those cash offers, when buying my first 400k condo/townhouse

Well I mean it's all relative right. To those people with $400k of clear cash available to them, we probably are.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2023, 09:02 PM   #26224
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I don't get this mentality, so people have no idea of what's going on and how you will survive? Like no idea of simple basic finances? So you get $1200 a month from the gov and you blow through the other $600? What did you do all those years when you were younger, worked? When rent were cheap? Since they under paid all their lives. Hell if my cost of housing is only $600 I'd be rich bitch.

Quote:
Why don't they move back to India, I heard they needed farmers
did you forget to eat your wheaties this morning? you're on quite the roll today

the racist, elitist, condescending prick roll i mean
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 09:18 PM   #26225
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
He got TWO pieces of cereal this morning, courtesy of Mrs. Happysilp

68style is offline   Reply With Quote