REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:11 PM   #26451
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ why didn't you lock in? Given how rates were you could have easily saved 1% if you locked. Unless you have cash flow to keep up with the hikes and lump sum or over pay why stay in variable. It looks like the rate drops will take longer to come unless something bad happens.
Cause at the time of our renewal a fixed mortgage was about 4.2% and obviously if I knew BOC was gonna go HAM shortly after I would have jumped at that. We're not screwed by any means it just sucks that our extra cash is getting sucked up by absolutely nothing.
Advertisement
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:24 PM   #26452
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Mine just automatically goes up with the rate hikes so the same principle is getting paid off. Definitely sucks balls lately im so happy I went variable this time around now I have like another 4 more years of this shit... how high can it go?
I'm in exactly the same boat... payments have gone up from $1160 a month to $14xx

I have a buddy on the other system who's gone from 25 years to 71 years now lolllll

For me though, I am seriously considering just paying it off, I only have $110k left and I don't think my current investments for that money are going to pay more than the mortgage interest...
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:35 PM   #26453
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
For folks on variable it looks like you could lock in around 5.2% over 3 years right now (uninsured mortgages, even lower for other cases) - most will allow renewals 6 months early so you're only locking in for 30 months at that rate. On a 5 year you can get to around 4.8% - I'm not sure I'd lock in for that long though. I bet those beat whatever you're paying on variable right now.

https://rates.ca/mortgage-rates
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:37 PM   #26454
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Are you sure you're not over trigger already, a lot of people who bought during the pandemic has hit trigger long ago with their balance going up each month cuz % is more than their payments.
Yeah I'm sure, trigger is 6.3, I renewed last summer to variable. I think it was around 3.4% when I signed.
I'm at 6.2, lady over the phone told me the hike is tomorrow.

Spoiler!

I was at 19 years originally, "currently" at 53 years lol

Going in next week to see how soon I'm gonna need to sell the Corvette LOL

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:39 PM   #26455
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
When renewal comes how early do you guys try to renew by? Could you renew 6 month earlier but have it take effect after your full 2-5 year term is up to make sure you get the remaining last 3-6 months of low interest?

Was going to buy a place in the boonies but then realized I should probably refi away from Scotia next year before I do that otherwise I'll get destroyed by the 6% rates they have.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #26456
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Ok the news they said yesterday that like 30% of Canadian mortgages have now pushed their amortization to 50+ years

Awesome. So your mortgage now is longer than even allowed under Canadian law?..
Old 06-09-2023, 03:16 PM   #26457
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I mean, we should be glad that flexibility is built in... a lot of people can't afford to up their payments / month to keep pace and I suppose the expectation is that it will eventually subside a bit and when people renew they can figure it out at that point.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:27 PM   #26458

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I was paying it and then the by-law officer, off the record, told me not to cause she said it's a bullshit fee. LOL.

Yeah, I'd like to AirBnB one of my suites b/c I want have guest space and/or have extra room to entertain but the rules are pretty restrictive (even if they're not enforcing them right now). My neighbor just did a renovation to create 2 bedroom suite and I think they are going to Airbnb it out and I'm gonna see how it goes for them first (if anyone narc's on them).
I'm just going to play dumb, and say I never knew I had to update the declaration if I ever get busted LOL. Fucking bullshit application is in small fonts, people gonna miss it .

Everything is illegal based on the various resources I've connected with so far on this topic. Only in trouble when someone snitches you out; otherwise, just get away with it as long as you can.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:38 PM   #26459

Whenever you play by the rules/law in Bc, you get fucked while everyone else doing the illegal shit is thriving.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #26460
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
50 years hey? Actually seems like a good plan, don't have to worry about paying off the mortgage if you're dead.

FYI you can use Visa points for mortgage payment vouchers. I did the math, and it's actually one of the best bang-for-buck value things you can do with your points.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #26461

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
If I didn't have a kid coming I would make sure I left this world with the largest amount of debt possible
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2023, 05:07 PM   #26462

Thanked 31,911 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
The kid really fucked my retirement plan of suicide, but it the curveball was worth it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 05:19 PM   #26463

Lol

I know some people who, honestly, I don’t know why you wouldn’t take out as many/as big loans as possible and just go live your best life in Mexico/Thailand for a few years and then just kill yourself

Some of these people have 15-25 years of complete misery left in their lives. Don’t know how you get by day to day
Old 06-09-2023, 06:00 PM   #26464

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I mean you can rack up as much as you can and just go missing but I think Thailand and Mexico both have extradition agreement with Canada
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:28 PM   #26465

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Was going to buy a place in the boonies but then realized I should probably refi away from Scotia next year before I do that otherwise I'll get destroyed by the 6% rates they have.
That's ironic. Scotia offered me 5.29%, 5 year fixed, 30 year amort on $680K. I feel like refi to new lender is high key a pain but EQ Bank ain't doing much to keep my business. Their most attractive offer is 5.99%, 3 year fixed, 24 year amort with a $3.4K renewal few (wtf).

I was looking at KEB (Korea) with a broker, 4.8%, 3 year fixed, 25 year amort on $710K. But we ended up not qualifying due to the (all) bank's ass backwards way of combating efficient tax planning within a corporation. In this instance, they don't accept dividend income from retained earnings as part of qualifying income. Which imo is bs, cause as a business owner why would I take on more tax liability when I don't have to.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 06-09-2023 at 06:45 PM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:16 PM   #26466
in the butt

Isn't there some scam going on in USA where people open up 10 credit cards, live it up, file bankruptcy, then repeat the process every 5-10 years?

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2023, 07:38 PM   #26467

Didn't their former president do that for most of his life?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-09-2023, 09:00 PM   #26468
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'm certainly not an "immigants get out" kinda guy, but setting massive arbitrary goals for immigration so we can seem welcoming, without having any tiny piece of infrastructure in place, from housing, to hospitals, and so forth, means no matter what happens the housing will never catch up, and the divide will widen. Fucking developers are ditching projects due to interest rates and the BOC think these rate hikes will help.
If the government wants to do something, there will need to be MASSIVE investments in publicly funded housing.
We can't tax the corporations more and we can't raise personal taxes too much either. The government is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Even if governments become developers of public housing, you can't get away from hard costs such as materials and labour. I'm not sure if the majority of homeowning taxpayers are willing to subsidize the shelter costs of a growing minority of the population.

In the next 10 years, likely many of the lower end service and white collar jobs will be taken over by AI, negating the need for more TFW in the long-term. We're just in a transitory period.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:25 AM   #26469

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Ok the news they said yesterday that like 30% of Canadian mortgages have now pushed their amortization to 50+ years

Awesome. So your mortgage now is longer than even allowed under Canadian law?..
When the rates inevitably drop (even if not to record low levels) the amortizations will drop so it's not really a big deal except for the people renewing.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:44 AM   #26470

When those renews happen though, and people have to put a lump sum down that they probably don't have, we've got 2008 US on our hands. The effects aren't being felt to their full extent yet, but it could get very ugly when they are.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-10-2023, 06:49 AM   #26471

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
When those renews happen though, and people have to put a lump sum down that they probably don't have, we've got 2008 US on our hands. The effects aren't being felt to their full extent yet, but it could get very ugly when they are.
Some math to illustrate using $100k mortgage at 30 years:

2% = $370/mo
5% = $535/mo (+$165/mo, 45% increase)

To keep their payments the same when they renew after 5 years and stay on track (25 years) they have to come up with ~$24,000 at renewal. On a $500k mortgage you'd need to come up with about $120k or see your payments go from $1850 to $2675/mo. Oof.

That's sorta the worst case scenario but not hard to see some people (10-20%?) being unable to come up with the money when renewals come up or they have to make drastic lifestyle changes.

My friend in Victoria was just telling me she thinks they're now in over their heads, property taxes went up 27%, home insurance is up, mortgage is at 4.6% etc. They're very middle class for Victoria but are getting to their limit now and I can imagine a lot of folks like her are running out room to make it work.

Reminds me of this Beaverton article: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2022/07...ore-expensive/

Quote:
To help combat record-high inflation and bring some relief to financially squeezed Canadians, The Bank of Canada announced Wednesday that they would hike the key interest rate for the third time this year, making entirely different things more expensive instead.

“We know that across the country Canadians are struggling with the rising cost of things like groceries, gas, and other daily necessities due to record high-inflation,” said Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem. “That’s why we’re taking aggressive action to raise the key interest rate which will financially screw Canadians in new, other ways,” said Macklem.

Across the country, Canadians welcomed the relief that was sure to be felt by the bank’s most recent announcement.

“I’m so grateful the government is taking such swift action on inflation,” said Ottawa resident Ken Grimsby. “My family’s weekly grocery bill was really skyrocketing, but now as prices settle I can use that money to pay for my mortgage, which just jacked up $400 a month.”

The positive effects have been welcomed by younger Canadians as well.

“I was really struggling to pay for gas to get to campus every day,” said recent university grad Marwa Hussein. “I’m really glad we can expect the cost of gas to go down, because now my car payment’s going up starting next month.I don’t even want to think about how much higher my student loan payments are going to be.”

Some Canadians are questioning why the move didn’t happen sooner.

“I really wish I knew they were going to do this a few months ago,” said single mother Barbara Williams. “Otherwise when I was struggling to pay for gas, groceries, new clothes, and utilities a few months ago I wouldn’t have put so many things on my line of credit, since the cost of paying that back just went up too.”

“But hey, on the bright side, this might mean that housing prices might cool down just in time for virtually no one to be able to qualify for a mortgage.”
This post thanked by:
Old 06-10-2023, 11:36 AM   #26472

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Reminds me of this Beaverton article: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2022/07...ore-expensive/
Sad to think it's even more true now over a year after that came out.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #26473

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Well hopefully in a few more years at renewal, prices will go back up by another $200-$300k as the rates fall, then we can all let the new immigrants hold the bag, while we sell and retire in second world countries. ??? Profit
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #26474
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Isn't there some scam going on in USA where people open up 10 credit cards, live it up, file bankruptcy, then repeat the process every 5-10 years?
An American told me once you aren't American until you file bankruptcy at least once
Chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:04 PM   #26475
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckz View Post
An American told me once you aren't American until you file bankruptcy at least once
But have you