REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #26576
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Our thing is no-cook fridays, either we order in or go out. That really hasn't changed for us.. Usually the kid is with us so it's not like we're going to any high priced restaurants. But every other day of the week we cook breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only time I go out for lunch is when it's a business meeting and work (or a supplier/partner) is footing the bill
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 03:48 PM   #26577

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
We order in once a week, very seldom sit down in a restaurant maybe 4 times a year with the family and I'll go to the pub with my buddies maybe once every 6 weeks or so.

The restaurant experience isn't worth the cost to me, I like to cook I'd rather do that.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 03:57 PM   #26578

Thanked 31,911 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
almost everyone i know has reduced how often they go to restaurants drastically due to increasing prices. how are restaurants surviving if just about everyone is eating out less often? we probably eat out half as much as we did 3 years ago.
We just had the busiest may we have ever had. We are all also going out less on RS because we are older.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 05:56 PM   #26579
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
I've resorted back into my Chinese ways and in 2023 have definitely seen at least a 400% increase in my instant noodle eating. A lot of times I debate to get something then knowing almost no matter what I choose it'll be $20+ I say fuck it I'll just make a noodle.

On this topic with all the rising cost what's the one food item you refuse to accept now with the new prices? So far for me it's paying $20 for a bowl of pho, more if you factor in tax and tip. Shiet I can make an entire pot for that oney.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:10 PM   #26580

Thanked 31,911 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Steakhouses in general. Fuck paying $75 for a plate of the easiest to cook food on the planet.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 06:29 PM   #26581
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Not trying to be an ass. This is what the interest rates is suppose to do is to curb our spending.

We, and this means myself, my wife and a lot of other people have to learn to change out habits. It's HELLAAAA hard.
No more eating out, no more buying nice things, and learning to shift priorities from premium alcohol back down to just crappy beers.

Those who were not OG doesn't understand the means of roughing it.

Many grew up on $100 dollars on 50GB.. sure...
ubering pho for $25, bubble tea with delivery fees for $9.95....
let's go for happy hour and order 10 beers .....

learn to live within your means and things does change... 1st or 2nd year.. "nah, i'm locked in for my mortgage". Now those friends are sweating bullets as their renewals are coming up ....
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:54 PM   #26582
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post

Cant bro, its a vert... no rollcage it wont be allowed on the track. Plus im too fat/old/dumb to do anything like that.
Wait, I thought you can go no rollcage on the S2000's on track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Yeah I went to taqueria yesterday. 2 tacos and chips and I spent $32 and left hungry. That's with me bringing my canteen of water from home. When I lived over in Fairview 10 years ago it used to be $12 for 4 tacos and a Mexican coke.
I saw a happy hour sign the other day and it was $18 for 3 tacos. It's getting out of hand.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:17 PM   #26583
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I hadn’t been to big star Sandwich in a few months, went last week while I was passing by. The “large” Sandwhich I usually get which is like 2 cups worth of shredded turkey tomatoes and lettuce which used to be 14.xx is now $18 + tax..

That was the first time I went there I didn’t tip and when I didn’t the woman taking orders kinda gave me what I felt like was attitude.

$18 for a glorified subway.. sorry babe but guess I ain’t coming back.

I know you gotta pass some of the inflation costs onto the customers when everything costs more, but at a certain price point it’s untenable.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:18 PM   #26584

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Places like Area 27 / Mission / Etc

“For full circuit use, open cockpit vehicles including convertibles require factory roll over protection. Vehicles that have a roll bar securely mounted to the vehicle chassis are also permitted on the full circuit. Convertibles without any roll over protection are strictly prohibited.”

I’ve called them and asked, most stock convertibles dont have roll over protection. I mean i have these bars thats suppose to explode behind my head if it does roll over, but thats iffy at best.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:30 PM   #26585
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I know and agree that this is what the interest rate hikes are supposed to do. However, as can be seen from Westopher's comments and many of our own observations, a sizable chunk of the retail and hospitality sector is showing no signs of slowing down.

Meanwhile, those rate hikes are hitting a lot of people hard, esp those in the working class (which I consider myself to be part of). Except for a very few selected things, I'm pinching pennies and stretching dollars however I can. And I consider myself to be one of the more fortunate people because I am still hanging in there (for now). It always surprises how there aren't more people and households that have reached a breaking point yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Not trying to be an ass. This is what the interest rates is suppose to do is to curb our spending.

We, and this means myself, my wife and a lot of other people have to learn to change out habits. It's HELLAAAA hard.
No more eating out, no more buying nice things, and learning to shift priorities from premium alcohol back down to just crappy beers.

learn to live within your means and things does change... 1st or 2nd year.. "nah, i'm locked in for my mortgage". Now those friends are sweating bullets as their renewals are coming up ....
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 07:36 PM   #26586
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Check with the event organizer, not the venue. For lapping days, a lot of organizers will be OK with factory roll hoops like the ones on NC/ND Miata and S2k. And if you are driving one of those cars (like Badhobz is), you'd be smart enough to not take it all the way to 10/10 even though you're new / relatively new at this.

Honestly, if a tin can 2nd gen CRX or EG Civic is allowed to lap at the track, I don't see why your Ratolla would be any less safe than those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Quote:
Places like Area 27 / Mission / Etc

“For full circuit use, open cockpit vehicles including convertibles require factory roll over protection. Vehicles that have a roll bar securely mounted to the vehicle chassis are also permitted on the full circuit. Convertibles without any roll over protection are strictly prohibited.”

I’ve called them and asked, most stock convertibles dont have roll over protection. I mean i have these bars thats suppose to explode behind my head if it does roll over, but thats iffy at best.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2023, 07:49 PM   #26587

I don’t know guys. Driving a 4500lb fat ass with another fat ass inside hardly seems like fun.
I’ll just live vicariously through you guys and your crazy antics.

Speaking of real estate so we almost moved to tswasssen (no I’ll never be able to spell that right) but the wife put a stop to it. I really like some of the homes there and the people seem great. Richmond is only a hop and a skip away but ultimately the added 20 min commute for me killed it. I’m thinking that area + Ladner are the best buys in GVRD because as soon as the bottleneck tunnel is finished the property values will shoot up.

Also this listing is interesting for people like me who enjoy organic architecture inspired by Frank Lloyd wright.
https://www.westcoastmodern.ca/prope...yingarrowhouse

Last edited by Badhobz; 06-13-2023 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:50 AM   #26588
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2787962/1...-Vancouver-BC/

Holy smokes, $5.2m to live by Knight and 17th.

Old 06-14-2023, 06:36 AM   #26589

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I hadn’t been to big star Sandwich in a few months, went last week while I was passing by. The “large” Sandwhich I usually get which is like 2 cups worth of shredded turkey tomatoes and lettuce which used to be 14.xx is now $18 + tax..

That was the first time I went there I didn’t tip and when I didn’t the woman taking orders kinda gave me what I felt like was attitude.

$18 for a glorified subway.. sorry babe but guess I ain’t coming back.

I know you gotta pass some of the inflation costs onto the customers when everything costs more, but at a certain price point it’s untenable.
The tip thing made me laugh, I was in Vegas last week caught a cab from airport to hotel they have set fairs from airport it was $23. 10 minute ride, I gave the cabby $28 and he looked at it and is like that's it? I've never been called out on a tip before but it wasn't even a bad tip IMO, maybe I've been doing it wrong?

After I walked away I wish I would have said oh sorry give me that back and then just handed him $23.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2023, 07:01 AM   #26590
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

$5.2m and no garage, but you can park your macan on the road I guess.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:29 AM   #26591
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
$5.2m and no garage, but you can park your Urus on the road I guess.
Fixed that for you.

Edit: Ha, I see on street view the Macan you're referring to. Nevermind my comment.

Last edited by supafamous; 06-14-2023 at 07:40 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2023, 07:33 AM   #26592

The area isnt bad (looks like a park across the street), but for 5.2m!??!?! people are such greedy fucks.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:37 AM   #26593

wow dang..
at the bottom of the listing everything around that area is 5 - 6 M so not sayign they are greedy but dangg the money is still there..
5k sq ft + $10k property tax...
Old 06-14-2023, 07:39 AM   #26594

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
The tip thing made me laugh, I was in Vegas last week caught a cab from airport to hotel they have set fairs from airport it was $23. 10 minute ride, I gave the cabby $28 and he looked at it and is like that's it? I've never been called out on a tip before but it wasn't even a bad tip IMO, maybe I've been doing it wrong?

After I walked away I wish I would have said oh sorry give me that back and then just handed him $23.
this is the reason why i will never ever ever take taxis again. Uber all the way cause no attitude, no tipping pressure.....

*again... maybe there's no uber at osme places but this is why i hate taxis. Assuming they didn't take a longer detour to gouge you.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:08 AM   #26595
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,239 Times in 425 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

We had the exact same reaction from our cabbie in Vegas a couple months ago. $30 on a $25 fare.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #26596

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

I was just looking at that listing yesterday and wondering why someone would go for that over something decent in the west side
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:36 AM   #26597

i have not looked at west side listings but arent they all over 4m now for a tear down?
Old 06-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #26598

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
i have not looked at west side listings but arent they all over 4m now for a tear down?
Woah I didn't realize this.

I did find a few under $4M but they're older and substantially smaller:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...14332127_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...14323108_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...56_rect/0_mmm/

Last edited by radeonboy; 06-14-2023 at 10:49 AM.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:51 AM   #26599
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
This in Richmond for 1.78M:
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...venue-richmond

Or buy all 3 of these for 1.6M in one of the best neighbourhoods of cow-town, live in the one with the crazy yard/basement hockey rink and rent the other 2 out:
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...algary-tuscany
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:50 AM   #26600

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Steakhouses in general. Fuck paying $75 for a plate of the easiest to cook food on the planet.
Definitely in my top 3 I almost never ever buy a steak. Generally the only time I do is a prime rib but even then it's sometimes. Also insanely easy to make but unlike a steak I can't just make a prime rib at will or I suppose I could if I got a small 1 bone one.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote