REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #27226
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Thanks guys for the input. Looks like it's enforceable even if agreement isn't the official RTA form. They don't know how to fill out that (RTA official form), so something hand written up in their own language LOL (or just $, date, names, address), seems just as good from what is mentioned.
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:07 AM   #27227
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
??? This was not my experience at all. I check listings for Calgary every day and there are tonnes of newer build or freshly renovated houses <$800k within 20 minutes of the city centre. $800k is high end for new builds in the NW like 30 minutes out (Tuscany).

Was also just there in person around Canada Day.

I think your driving times are what's off. My best friend lives in Bears Paw... which is as outskirts of Calgary as you can get in the NW... and that's 28 minutes from the centre of downtown. Tuscany is 20-25 minutes max. I think you are maybe looking within 10 minutes? Even then, Brentwood and stuff just other side of the river are nice and not anywhere near $1m+ unless you are looking at luxury homes
Did a quick google, you're correct, you can get to the outskirts within 20 minutes!

When I was there I was commuting north to SageHill from 17th Ave and it was 40ish minutes after 3PM. Google suggesting similar commute would be < 30 minutes, I imagine without traffic and some light speeding, you can probably get there in 20ish. That's amazing for the edge of town + new builds houses. I though the 26KM drive was crazy but then I realized downtown to coquitlam centre is close to 30km. I think the flat, all highway scenery made it feel like a longer commute that it actually was.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 11:25 AM   #27228
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
It's always entertaining watching two people from completely different cities talk about traffic / travel time.

When I was in Regina, my realtor said we were stuck in traffic when passing "downtown" which proceeded to be 5 minutes.

The drive from the north end of town, to south end of town, during traffic, was 25 minutes.
During no traffic it was 15 minutes.

To top it off, he said many people don't want to buy in certain areas, because it's a "long" commute to work. I don't know if he meant taking the bus, driving, or walking.....

vancouver traffic enters the chat

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 11:28 AM   #27229
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Toronto is the worst fuck can’t believe how bad it is each time I’m there

We took an Uber to a buddies place from the entertainment district/CN tower etc. maps said it was 12km

Took like 50 minutes to go 12 km at 8pm on a Friday night..
Old 07-31-2023, 11:52 AM   #27230

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
It's always entertaining watching two people from completely different cities talk about traffic / travel time.

When I was in Regina, my realtor said we were stuck in traffic when passing "downtown" which proceeded to be 5 minutes.

The drive from the north end of town, to south end of town, during traffic, was 25 minutes.
During no traffic it was 15 minutes.

To top it off, he said many people don't want to buy in certain areas, because it's a "long" commute to work. I don't know if he meant taking the bus, driving, or walking.....

vancouver traffic enters the chat
Same experience in Edmonton.

"Oh you guys came at a bad time, it's rush hour and it's bad traffic."

There's all of 7 cars at the light for a 3 lane road. Dude this is no traffic on a normal day in Vancouver.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 12:58 PM   #27231

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Yes I thought Vancouver was bad, then I saw Toronto. Plus there's no street parking
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 01:12 PM   #27232
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Toronto traffic is just a preview for Vancouver lol. GG guys.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:47 PM   #27233
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...soyoos-osoyoos

Friend of mine got back from Osoyoos as he stayed at the Watermark and sent me this listing as he loved the resort and he wants to pull a HELOC on his house and buy one of the units... He has over $1M of equity in his house.

It's one of those hotels that you can buy a room and you get revenue sharing when you don't stay in the unit.

This one is a one bedroom at $249,000. No mortgage available due to the type of real estate it is, so you need all cash. He got a hold of some of the numbers...

$38,621 Revenue
$16,826 Net, paid to owner after all expenses
$1,982 Property tax
$497 strata/month
= 3.56% annual yield on $249,000

I told him it doesn't seem like a good idea especially when you can get 5-6% on a GIC right now. Any investment right now needs to be making at least 7-8% before you invest otherwise you might as well just get GIC's as they're risk free.

Am I missing anything here?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #27234

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
It's probably on fire by now
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 03:09 PM   #27235
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
idk about everyone else but my HELOC is at 7.7% right now. A 3.56% return on a 7.7% loan doesn't sound very good to me.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #27236
in the butt

He got stuck in the "wow it's so nice here, I should buy a unit" mindset. I tend to do this in Mexico lol.....

Rent where you want to go on vacation

Buy where you get max returns

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 03:45 PM   #27237

No one I know who’s bought into any sort of time share ever seems to come out ahead lol..

My uncle bought a similar thing in Cabo, he’s like you can use it whenever you want, it’s just $1500 a week plus a cleaning fee lol

The only place I would ever consider somthing similar is in whistler personally and I’m sure the finances of similar places in whistler make even less sense
Old 07-31-2023, 04:05 PM   #27238

Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,975 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Anyone ever sublet their own place for a few months while out of the country?

We don't want multiple tenants over the span of a few months, but rather a renter that needs it for the entire 3-4 month duration.

I assume Airbnb is the best option for that, or do people use other services? Any experiences?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 04:13 PM   #27239
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

We don't want multiple tenants over the span of a few months, but rather a renter that needs it for the entire 3-4 month duration.

I assume Airbnb is the best option for that, or do people use other services? Any experiences?
I did for 3 months, furnished.
Posted it everywhere, except Airbnb (condo does not allow it at all, even with 1mo plus).
95% spam/window shoppers.
I think I had it up for 2 months before someone took it, from my experience people book a month in advance, at earliest. A couple that were in Manitoba had their friends view it, then my friend gave them the keys a few days after I left.

With that said, the lower your price, the higher chance of multiple applications, and those applications being early.

I moved all my shit into the "den" and installed a separate lock on it.

If you need to, take a 3 months application, at least that will cover 75% of the 4 months.

Came back to my unit 3 months later cleaner than I left it.

On a side note, my landlord was cock about it, tried to put a bunch of rules on me and I told him nope to every single one. Including I'm responsible for all appliance for the duration, wanted an extra xxx$/mo, etc. Eventually he folded, and let me rent it.
I gotta go through this again in a few months, inB4 he pulls the "I'm selling the unit" card on me lol

This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 04:41 PM   #27240

Quote:

I posted a page or so about us renting out our whole house for 4 months

It worked out as the most perfect situation as a friend of a friend was going to school here from the UK and she was sharing an appartment for the same cost we charged her for the entire house

Imo probably best to rent to some sort of aquaintance if you can so at least there’s some accountability.

We tossed pretty much anything of value in the safe/closet and then I used structural screws and a 2x10 to secure the door from the outside. So would need a specific bit or a chainsaw pretty much to get into the closet lol. We trusted her but better safe than sorry
Old 07-31-2023, 04:48 PM   #27241
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Just want to get your guys opinion on this stuff. So we did the home inspection, and the unit inside the house (condensor i guess its called?) that is attached to the air conditioner is full of water when you take off the panel.

The water leaks down into the condensor exit pipe, but i got a feeling some of it might be leaking down into the filter or other areas. The owner will get an HVAC guy to look at it, but im wondering if this kind of water is normal inside the unit?

Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 04:53 PM   #27242
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
The indoor unit is the evaporator coil.

The outdoor unit is the condenser.

That PVC pipe is the condensate drain. Yes it's normal for water to condense where it will drain down. If it's backing up and overflowing then it sounds to me like the drain is plugged.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 05:38 PM   #27243
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Just want to get your guys opinion on this stuff. So we did the home inspection, and the unit inside the house (condensor i guess its called?) that is attached to the air conditioner is full of water when you take off the panel.
Spoiler!

This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2023, 07:32 PM   #27244
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

Friend of mine got back from Osoyoos as he stayed at the Watermark and sent me this listing as he loved the resort and he wants to pull a HELOC on his house and buy one of the units... He has over $1M of equity in his house.

It's one of those hotels that you can buy a room and you get revenue sharing when you don't stay in the unit.

This one is a one bedroom at $249,000. No mortgage available due to the type of real estate it is, so you need all cash. He got a hold of some of the numbers...

$38,621 Revenue
$1,982 Property tax
$497 strata/month

I told him it doesn't seem like a good idea especially when you can get 5-6% on a GIC right now. Any investment right now needs to be making at least 7-8% before you invest otherwise you might as well just get GIC's as they're risk free.

Seriously... 3.56% is laughable at best. GIC would get him 5%+.

The only way this could make sense is if he's going to go there quite a bit, and instead of spending thousands every stay, he just goes.

But as an investment, it doesn't make any sense at all.

A decent commercial lot with AAA tenants (meaning they are pretty much impossible to default on rent payment) with 10yrs+ on the lease in US would get you 5% NNN (0 LL responsibility) with annual 2-4% increase on rent, and decent depreciation to write off from income to lower the taxes. Just FHI what cash can do nowadays in the market. These are kinda retirement properties that basically guarantees a regular income.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:10 PM   #27245
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
I mean - 3.56% makes sense, if it's going to also appreciate at a few percent a year. But that's also not a guarantee.

-Mark
Old 07-31-2023, 11:26 PM   #27246
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

$38,621 Revenue
$1,982 Property tax
$497 strata/month

I've done a few deals like this. These types of properties aren't meant to give high ROI. It's to enjoy if frequently used. That being said, 1 of the ones I've dealt with was in Whistler and the seller made $100k after 1 year of owning. The 2nd is, most of these units are owned by numbered companies to write off against their business. While I'm not sure about this specific Osoyoos listing, the one's I've dealt with is fractional ownership with percentage in land ownership (fee simple title) which some B lenders will actually allow a mortgage (ie Simplii).
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:56 AM   #27247

Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,975 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
I did for 3 months, furnished.
Posted it everywhere, except Airbnb (condo does not allow it at all, even with 1mo plus).
95% spam/window shoppers.
I think I had it up for 2 months before someone took it, from my experience people book a month in advance, at earliest. A couple that were in Manitoba had their friends view it, then my friend gave them the keys a few days after I left.

With that said, the lower your price, the higher chance of multiple applications, and those applications being early.

I moved all my shit into the "den" and installed a separate lock on it.

If you need to, take a 3 months application, at least that will cover 75% of the 4 months.

Came back to my unit 3 months later cleaner than I left it.

On a side note, my landlord was cock about it, tried to put a bunch of rules on me and I told him nope to every single one. Including I'm responsible for all appliance for the duration, wanted an extra xxx$/mo, etc. Eventually he folded, and let me rent it.
I gotta go through this again in a few months, inB4 he pulls the "I'm selling the unit" card on me lol
What sites or services did you post your place on though?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:15 PM   #27248
in the butt

Quote:
What sites or services did you post your place on though?
Fb, zumper, rent faster, CL

This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2023, 03:31 PM   #27249
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Nothing wrong with ignoring the plebs...

I have over 60 messages for my property as my tenants are moving out, and 50 of those messages are spam.

I didn't realize this until I became a landlord....
But if you hate someone and have their number, create a rental ad with an attractive price, post their number and mention to call or text only.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:45 PM   #27250
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
For rent out to say close friend or family member,
I always try to tread carefully renting to tenants that are "close".
I know two people right now that are going through some BS cause relatives they rented to are being dramatic over rent increases.

If you have no problem putting your foot down and telling them to pay up or take a hike, then it's ok. Or if you know they'll be "good" people that won't cause problems, then that's fine too.

Although sometimes everything seems fine until money is brought up.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: