REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #27276
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
The BOC is going to be so proud! Their commitment to making sure middle class Canadians fail is surely going to make it a great time for rich people to invest in real estate.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:49 AM   #27277
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,975 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Jeez I recently left my prior company to take a management role on the IT side at Telus Health.

Apparently we're good to go as we're profitable, most of the cuts are on the Telecom side and Telus International (call centres).
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #27278
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^ You should be fine, that's a burgeoning new industry... even if it is anti-access in some ways lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 10:11 AM   #27279
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Failed 12 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Jeez I recently left my prior company to take a management role on the IT side at Telus Health.

Apparently we're good to go as we're profitable, most of the cuts are on the Telecom side and Telus International (call centres).

as someone who's been at TH for the past couple of years, whoever told you we're good - is wrong lol
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:17 AM   #27280
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,975 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
68style, you're totally right. Our goals at TH most definitely go against my politics. We're essentially privatizing health care.

@Hype - Gimme some info here, what have you been hearing? I work on the benefit outsourcing solutions end, we're a small team that actually makes a profit.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:19 AM   #27281
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
How can you guys hate Telus? They have the best marketing campaigns and customer service.
A telemarketer illegally signed my parents up for Telus home internet. They stole a bunch of money from my grandparents, admitted it was their fault, but still refused to return it. They signed my other grandparents, who were in their alte 80's and had never used a computer in their lives, up for internet. Several of my friends who had internet + cell packages with them kept having landlines randomly added to their bills every so often.

Trying to get this stuff corrected was always a huge nightmare. Their stupid "free" TV or whatever isn't worth the agony of dealing with them. I definitely wouldn't trust them with healthcare either lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 08-04-2023 at 11:18 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 10:57 AM   #27282
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Before I worked for Telus my wife who is incredibly careful with data and security, who was also a business analyst at the time had identity fraud through Telus and it took months to sort out that a guy named Muhammad in Saskatchewan wasn’t related to her..

As a tech I aslso saw frequently elderly people who were tricked into signing up for shit they had no clue how to use but the contracted sales people pushed it on them necer explaining once credits expired they’d be paying wayyyy more than without all the extra BS. It was at minimum 5-8 times a week I’d run into a 70+ year old who had an entire security system sitting in a box in their home because they were told to just accept it and not tell anyone they didn’t set it up.

We relayed this info time and time again to management and higher and of course nothing was ever done. Our personal metrics dropping because of this uninstalled hardware was no where near the concern of keeping that customers billing cycle going.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #27283
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I get the “macro economics” but they made 3-4 years of record setting profits and subscriptions, a quarterly blip is hardly a reason to cut a workforce in half. Telus isn’t a Canadian company. Not when 90% of your workforce is overseas.
Their dividend payout ratio is really high, they pay out most of their profits so not much is left for the next year. I feel with telecom their dividend yields are always expected to be 2.5 - 6%.

So any record profits for most companies are just paid to shareholders aka TSX index holders and CPP!

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 01:20 PM   #27284
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
My horror story with Telus is from 2 - 3 years ago. At the time, my parents' place was with Telus on their copper Internet connection, but Telus was phasing out its copper Internet service, so we figured we'd switch to their fiber optic Internet.

The service availability check was done, and we were told our area was good to go with fiber Internet service. We booked an installation date for something in April/May, and a Telus staff (in a Telus van) showed up on the day of. But as he started working, he found out that our street actually hasn't been prepped for fiber optics connections, even though some sort of external Telus contractor had previously done some work to bury some sort of wire into the ground. But that was all they did, and the wire led to nothing, and was connected to nothing. The Telus install staff said he would file some paperwork to inform Telus of the situation.

I called Telus to tell them about the lack of fiber-ready service at our location. Over several phone calls, Telus has confirmed that they do not have fiber service available at my parents' place even though their system says they do. But they would send an external contractor to get the equipment installed in the ground. We were even given a date of when the (street) equipment would be installed, and that they might need access to my parents' home.

On the day of the (street) equipment installation, nobody came. We called Telus again. They said they'll look into it.

We called again to ask about the fiber service availability -- by now, we are probably in late June / early July? We told Telus we never saw anyone doing any sort of street level install near our place, and the agent said he will follow up with the (external) installer. We were later told that the installation wouldn't take place until August/Sept, and we booked for an in-home installation date in Sept, with the promise that the fiber service would be installed by them.

Come Sept -- nothing. It was like a week before our pre-booked in-home installation date, but we still never saw anyone installing street-level equipment being installed anywhere near my parents' place.

At the point, I said fxxk it and called Shaw up. They checked for service availability, and we were hooked up the following week.

I called Telus to cancel our fiber Internet install afterwards. I should have swore at Telus, but there was no point in doing so to a telephone rep.

In my books, I have totally written off Telus -- I am not going to give them any of my money if I can avoid it. But much to my dismay, my parents are planning to go back to Telus because they said the Shaw service was not reliable. They even had Telus pre-install the street-level stuff, and are ready to switch back to Telus once their Shaw contract runs out.

I almost wanted to and wash my hands clean with any dealings of this. I know that if any technical issues come up, I'll be the first person they call since I am the technical IT guy in the family. And they are going exactly against my recommendations, but somehow I am still the one that has to clean up the mess afterwards...

(Actually, that kind of sounds like how work is too... )
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 01:36 PM   #27285

^ there’s such a disconnect between the build side and the customer side, no one knows shit

Also there is zero accountability with the contractors. We had guys who had THIRTY + escalations for poor quality work, I still remember the guys name, Harjinder.

This guy had 30 escalations as a contractor installing security systems where our guys had to go and basically redo the entire install, and I guarantee you the guy is still working for Telus
Old 08-04-2023, 02:22 PM   #27286
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Harjinder.... thats not a common name at all. Is his last name SINGH too!?

Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #27287
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
They stole that shit from ClearNET when they bought them out!!
Stole is a harsh word.

So much Telus hate. Without them, you wouldn't have Hondaracer or mikemhg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 03:25 PM   #27288

Looks good on a resume, that’s about as much as I got out of them.

Oh and they paid for $3000 of my invisline, thanks uncle Darren
Old 08-04-2023, 04:14 PM   #27289
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 154 Times in 35 Posts
any recommendations for outdoor wired home cameras with a good app for iphone without a monthly subscription?

Currently have swann but their app is crap and super blurry quality
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #27290
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 17 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
any recommendations for outdoor wired home cameras with a good app for iphone without a monthly subscription?

Currently have swann but their app is crap and super blurry quality
Lots of people on rfd like reolink if you have poe already wired up.

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 06:19 PM   #27291
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Reolink is no better than Swann/Lorex.

If super blurry, probably using old analog system with coax cabling and will need to be recabled with twisted pair for a good system. Alternatively, there are several HD analog formats (CVI/TVI/AHD) that are OK, not good by any professional standard but good enough for most homeowners.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:25 PM   #27292

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post

If super blurry, probably using old analog system with coax cabling and will need to be recabled with twisted pair for a good system. Alternatively, there are several HD analog formats (CVI/TVI/AHD) that are OK, not good by any professional standard but good enough for most homeowners.
This guy knows his stuff! Listen to him

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
Old 08-04-2023, 09:50 PM   #27293
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post

So what would you recommend?
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:47 PM   #27294
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
We use UniFi at work for building security. We use a mixture of their G3 Bullet and G3 Domes connected to various Cloud Key controllers (we have three buildings).

Been working great over the past couple of years with the only maintenance being a hard drive dying.

I recently did an update on the controllers and they added remote access so you can view the cameras from a smartphone app now.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 11:57 PM   #27295
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdownvictim View Post
Lots of people on rfd like reolink if you have poe already wired up.
To be honest, there aren't that many options.

I have both Reolink (for hardwired cameras that covers 360° of the house) and Eufy (for doorbells, and areas where I want notification quickly).

Reolink solution is nothing to write home about. It's a decent rig for the price but its app is not the greatest. Image quality is ok IMO.

Eufy has a very decent app and notification (usually within a sec or 2) and its sub is quite decent as it's a yearly plan of up to 10 cams. I personally find it worthwhile.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:44 AM   #27296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
We use UniFi at work for building security. We use a mixture of their G3 Bullet and G3 Domes connected to various Cloud Key controllers (we have three buildings).

Been working great over the past couple of years with the only maintenance being a hard drive dying.

I recently did an update on the controllers and they added remote access so you can view the cameras from a smartphone app now.
Thanks. Im looking into the G5 Bullet on their website. How user friendly is the app for it?

I used to have HIK vision cameras at my old home but apparently they don't sell them here anymore
Old 08-05-2023, 12:31 PM   #27297

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post

I was planning on switching to UniFi from Lorex after they were bought by Dahua but their products were constantly out of stock that I thought they were gonna bail from the security cam industry soon.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 12:39 PM   #27298

In a previous post in this thread I was going to ghetto it up and use all eufy stuff(they were having a big sale in june-july).
Ive been happy with their products so far. Money was tight between buying new home and having a big mortgage until we sold our old house.

Luckily we were able to list our house and sell within 6 days so had gotten all hikvision setup installed at our new place.

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
Old 08-05-2023, 12:50 PM   #27299
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
Thanks. Im looking into the G5 Bullet on their website. How user friendly is the app for it?

I used to have HIK vision cameras at my old home but apparently they don't sell them here anymore
The app is pretty user friendly. You can see the interface on the app page.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/unifi-...t/id1392492235

We have some folks that wanted to be able to view the cameras in the case of emergencies or building alarms going off.

Granting access to the app was better than installing a VPN profile on their phones to access the internal portal and more convenient if they're not at home near their laptop.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2023, 01:34 PM   #27300

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdownvictim View Post
In a previous post in this thread I was going to ghetto it up and use all eufy stuff(they were having a big sale in june-july).
Ive been happy with their products so far. Money was tight between buying new home and having a big mortgage until we sold our old house.

Luckily we were able to list our house and sell within 6 days so had gotten all hikvision setup installed at our new place.

where did you buy your hikvision cameras from?