REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:36 PM   #27376
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
That's their signal word for sexy time.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2023, 02:38 PM   #27377
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Has people swapped motors or tires off of uhauls
I also see those videos who bait people into stealing shit from the uhaul then you lock them in and the floor is lubed and they go on joy rides
I mean..... It's possible, but all we would mark is "tire needs replacement" if we even bothered to check

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 11:37 PM   #27378
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
https://www.redfin.ca/bc/burnaby/619...home/156198818

How much do you think it would cost to furnish this house? I feel like you would need a budget of at least $200k? If they only added a covered back patio, that would be perfect for me.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 05:47 AM   #27379
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
^its a modern styled house so technically you would need less furniture to keep that minimalistic looking aesthetics

But 4 mill for this area ?! Next to Brentwood ? You can buy a new house in buckingham area for 4 mil
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 05:50 AM   #27380

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^its a modern styled house so technically you would need less furniture to keep that minimalistic looking aesthetics

But 4 mill for this area ?! Next to Brentwood ? You can buy a new house in buckingham area for 4 mil
But nice furniture to suit the look appropriately would be quite costly.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 06:02 AM   #27381

True enough. You can buy some chairs from herman Miller and couches from bo concept

Or just fill it with ikea pong chairs and call it a day
Old 08-15-2023, 08:42 AM   #27382
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

How much do you think it would cost to furnish this house? I feel like you would need a budget of at least $200k? If they only added a covered back patio, that would be perfect for me.
I like it, but Hondaracer I think it was, would come in and tell us flat roof is no good. I love that they didn't put a laneway in, but I would have preferred a 4 car garage.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 08:59 AM   #27383
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I like it, but Hondaracer I think it was, would come in and tell us flat roof is no good. I love that they didn't put a laneway in, but I would have preferred a 4 car garage.
Can't build laneways yet in Burnaby - once it's signed off though they could tear down that garage and put in a 1200sf one which could include a triple garage (or carports).
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 10:13 AM   #27384
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Can't build laneways yet in Burnaby - once it's signed off though they could tear down that garage and put in a 1200sf one which could include a triple garage (or carports).
a 1200sf laneway AND a triple? That I'm down. My goal is the Fairview area, but hard to say no that that kind of layout in Burnaby, and we don't mind Burnaby one bit.
My friends have been asking why I don't build a laneway, but we are a 4 car household (wife and I have two cars, my parents in the basement have 2 cars) and there's noway we can fit that many cars with a laneway.

Though.... 1200sf laneway with triple sounds like it'll be close to 1m to build. Who has 5m sitting around?
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 11:09 AM   #27385
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,510 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
I'm surprised there's still some detached all around Van/Bby for $1.6-1.7M. I assume they're selling for $1.7 - 1.9 for land value.

Seems like North Delta is the best area if your budget is sub $1.6M and you want a home that's nicer than a 1960's bungalow?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:35 AM   #27386
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I don’t mind that modern style house, it’s actually a pretty nice layout/exterior design

What I don’t like is that the interior finishing feels cheap for what they are trying to achieve imo. That strategy of using a similar coloured flooring to the millwork makes me feel like this is done intentionally to have it feel as though there is this crazy millwork vibe throughout where as it’s almost exclusively stain grade doors and casings but little else

As per furnishing it mentioned above, to continue the aesthetics provided by the house itself, yea it’s going to cost $$$ because you’re kind of pigeon holed into your furnishings given the design choice

It’s kind of a nice problem to have but honestly imo ir doesn’t really give off that top quality build you might expect

There are a few things in the pictures that make me think this is a buddy guy build as well. Ie. in that one picture of the hallway the two ceiling lights and the smoke/CO2 are not alligned. This little stuff shouldn’t go overlooked in a house like this even though at 3+ it’s probably not considered a “high end” build

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-15-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #27387
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I don’t mind that modern style house, it’s actually a pretty nice layout/exterior design

What I don’t like is that the interior finishing feels cheap for what they are trying to achieve imo. That strategy of using a similar coloured flooring to the millwork makes me feel like this is done intentionally to have it feel as though there is this crazy millwork vibe throughout where as it’s almost exclusively stain grade doors and casings but little else

As per furnishing it mentioned above, to continue the aesthetics provided by the house itself, yea it’s going to cost $$$ because you’re kind of pigeon holed into your furnishings given the design choice

It’s kind of a nice problem to have but honestly imo ir doesn’t really give off that top quality build you might expect

There are a few things in the pictures that make me think this is a buddy guy build as well. Ie. in that one picture of the hallway the two ceiling lights and the smoke/CO2 are not alligned. This little stuff shouldn’t go overlooked in a house like this even though at 3+ it’s probably not considered a “high end” build
This is pretty good in terms of a buddy builder. But you are right - the interior designer / GC / trades people are not high end. You can see power outlets that aren’t aligned at the same height too. All the switch and outlet covers should be custom too. White outlets on the millwork?

Sadly, $3-$4m for a house this size doesn’t get you “high end” anymore.

Last edited by Alpine; 08-15-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 04:16 PM   #27388
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
This is pretty good in terms of a buddy builder. But you are right - the interior designer / GC / trades people are not high end. You can see power outlets that aren’t aligned at the same height too. All the switch and outlet covers should be custom too. White outlets on the millwork?

Sadly, $3-$4m for a house this size doesn’t get you “high end” anymore.
Agreed, at that price point recessed aluminum baseboards, recessed plugs and level 5 finishes should have been included.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 04:44 PM   #27389

Vancouver RE is fucked. Period.

My McMansion’s dishwasher wasn’t even anchored in. I tried to do cleaning cycle and found that it was pivoting when I open the door all the way. Quite choked at this kind of quality.

Also Telus came in to wire some shit and found that half those “Ethernet” ports scattered around the house weren’t even finished off. They didn’t have the rj45 ends and of course not labeled so the poor fucker had to run around the house checking this and that. Literally spent an entire day at our place.

Thanks buddy guy / Ching Chong ling long collaboration !
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 04:54 PM   #27390

I’ll come and fix all your low voltage for cheaper than Telus will charge, a baller like you can afford my rates lol
Old 08-15-2023, 05:09 PM   #27391
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Vancouver RE is fucked. Period.

My McMansion’s dishwasher wasn’t even anchored in. I tried to do cleaning cycle and found that it was pivoting when I open the door all the way. Quite choked at this kind of quality.
None of this surprises me based on what some of my friends / family have told me. The worst was when one family flooded their new home basement because the pipe connecting to the sewage system cracked on first day of use from not being laid properly. Don't remember the full details but it was literally a shit experience.

Quote:
Also Telus came in to wire some shit and found that half those “Ethernet” ports scattered around the house weren’t even finished off. They didn’t have the rj45 ends and of course not labeled so the poor fucker had to run around the house checking this and that. Literally spent an entire day at our place.

Thanks buddy guy / Ching Chong ling long collaboration !
So how were the ethernet ports arranged before they were connected? Were they regular telephone ports or were they just behind the wall with wires exposed? I had to do something similar for a friend and organized the wiring with a small patch panel.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 05:28 PM   #27392

So they had a Ethernet cables running to a central area but they weren’t even finished off with connector plugs. Just literally wires dangling together in a rats nest. All of them blue, all of them unlabelled. The Telus guy installed rj45 heads to all these wires and then proceeded to run around the house testing each one of these connectors (and labeling them).

All 5 bedrooms have these Ethernet ports along with ones in the family room, media room and even the ensuite bathroom.

The poor guy did all of this and didn’t charge us a penny. Well… I paid to use Telus so I guess he gets something out of it but whatever.

This was before. You see that big bundle of blue and white Ethernet wires ?! What a shit show

I’m in the process of now buying and installing a whole bunch of Zwave switches/ locks and crap so I can make my home smarter. Sick of this ancient shit. I wanna program some motion sensors and light switches so I don’t have to do anything anymore

Last edited by Badhobz; 08-15-2023 at 05:34 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2023, 05:40 PM   #27393

I can pretty much guarantee it was one of the following things:

Poor quality connectors
Not punched down properly
Different standards on either end
Not punched down at all
Or a hidden splice somewhere

If you want to see some real quality craftsmanship check out nsbuilders on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvKp8...RlODBiNWFlZA==

This isn’t ultra high end but their work is very impressive. The amount of detail they put in to stuff you never see or things like back framing and drywall support, coffered ceilings, etc. is really fantastic and bordering on artisan work in some cases.

What’s so fucked up about like the buddy guy build is that fuck.. it’s not that hard to trick something into looking right whether it be an outlet being square or a backsplash, baseboard, etc. I’m nothing, I have skills I picked up along the way in finishing, framing, drywall, and general construction without ever doing any of them as a trade or any formal training and before I renovated my kitchen I had never done a kitchen before

And not to say I’m “better” than the buddy guy, but all my outlets are straight, my counter top has a beautiful bead of caulking around all my lights are perfectly square and aligned my baseboards and door casings are all perfect. And then you walk into a 2.5 million dollar new build in Burnaby and there’s drywall dust in every corner of the home and a plumbing clean out sticking out of the wall in your dining room

Like what the fuck
Old 08-15-2023, 05:46 PM   #27394

Thankfully upon testing, all the connections were able to surpass 1gbps (which is what we paid for) so for now it’s okay. Ask me in a few years how this piece of shit will hold up.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:51 PM   #27395

It’s nice he didn’t charge you given how much of a crunch there is for billing. He could have charged you for every jack since it wasn’t really Telus’s problem your stuff wasn’t terminated

But then yea you just say, like you said, I’m paying for this and just leave if that’s the case
Old 08-15-2023, 06:41 PM   #27396
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
That Telus guy is a saint. Crimping cables is easy, but it's such a fucking chore. I had to do several crimps at work once and I said fuck it, next time we're getting facilities to do this shit.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 06:52 PM   #27397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
That Telus guy is a saint. Crimping cables is easy, but it's such a fucking chore. I had to do several crimps at work once and I said fuck it, next time we're getting facilities to do this shit.
Telus only installs female ends. Wayyyy easier and more consistent
Old 08-15-2023, 06:52 PM   #27398
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
The network jacks are terminated very poorly FYI. There should be no exposed wire, period. Par for the course for a big telecom install unfortunately although most low voltage guys can't do much better either.
Old 08-15-2023, 07:01 PM   #27399
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
a 1200sf laneway AND a triple? That I'm down. My goal is the Fairview area, but hard to say no that that kind of layout in Burnaby, and we don't mind Burnaby one bit.
My friends have been asking why I don't build a laneway, but we are a 4 car household (wife and I have two cars, my parents in the basement have 2 cars) and there's noway we can fit that many cars with a laneway.

Though.... 1200sf laneway with triple sounds like it'll be close to 1m to build. Who has 5m sitting around?
It's 1200sf including the triple garage - any space used for the garage would count against the laneway's allowable floor space so figure half goes to the garage. The maximum size laneway is 1500sf but that requires a 7500sf lot (20% of the lot size) and figure $450/sf to build.

Vancouver's updated regs will also allow for larger laneways - 20% of lot size so you could do the same thing in Vancouver if your lot is big enough. If I had a 6000sf lot I'd do a triple garage with the laneway above it - turn it into massive man cave that all my side pieces can stay in (cause I'm such a player).
Old 08-15-2023, 07:04 PM   #27400
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

The flooring upstairs is tough. It should go be perpendicular to the window but the hallway would look strange.

If you can afford $4m + gst, furniture should not be an issue.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote