REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:31 PM   #27551
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I want to be a duck head and say shoulda figured this shit out before your babies

But then again I realize how incompetent the govt. is and all their promised never came to fruition.

In a lot of ways, a couple of professionals with a child deserve discounted child care and will contribute a lot more to society than the welfare case with 3 kids
I would be a lot easier if the cons would agree and help out. But they would rather give tax cuts to the rich.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9661370/c...ild-care-plan/
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2023, 04:38 PM   #27552
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Bro.. your boy and his jagmeat are the ones controlling everything

Love that you’re grasping at straws like he is though. The end is near.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:47 PM   #27553
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
So we should start a RS daycare. Full of rock hard dads
Not selling it very well
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2023, 05:27 PM   #27554

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Bro.. your boy and his jagmeat are the ones controlling everything

Love that you’re grasping at straws like he is though. The end is near.
PP could have done a deal with JT but didn't. Let me know when PP gets his security clearance.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:39 PM   #27555
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Not selling it very well
I gotta be inclusive now. We’ll beat(off?) your tranny kids too
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2023, 11:04 PM   #27556
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Mine goes to CEFA - they're everywhere now so they definitely make money for its owner. They're fairly structured with instruction which I like (my brother's kids went there too and I liked how they turned out).

It also wasn't like we had a choice, it was the only daycare we got a spot in despite being on lists for as long as 21 months (we signed up when we were 4 months pregnant and didn't get a spot till my kid was 17 months old)
A few months before Covid, we sent our 2.5 year old to CEFA on Broadway and Burrard because it was new and the only location that has space at the time. It was $2.2k for 3 days/week or something around $3k for 5 days. Maybe catering to the VGH crowd.

$800-$1200 a month felt like a steal.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 12:20 AM   #27557
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 28 Times in 10 Posts
Currently paying over 4k for a nanny to watch over 2 kids. My older one is going to Kindergarten in a couple weeks and now my nanny is moving back to Ireland in December. I"ll be out of childcare in a few months for my little one. Past couple weeks been phoning and emailing 40+ childcare centers around for a spot. 2-3 year waitlist for everything. Even Cefa I can't even get in. I'd gladly pay even 3k a month for a proper childcare center vs a nanny since it will be cheaper for a single kid. Just want to start saving money again but I guess I'll have to wait for another couple years....
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 07:24 AM   #27558

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
being on lists for as long as 21 months
Quote:
I want to be a duck head and say shoulda figured this shit out before your babies
How?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:48 AM   #27559

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Mmmm all the houses and cars I can get for $4000 a month. Time to move to Asia, according to my CO worker you can hire a maid in HK for $700 CAD a month I can live like a king
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 08:45 AM   #27560
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
How?
Supposedly, couples are recommended to start putting their "child" on daycare waitlists when they are trying for pregnancy. I know it sounds absurd, but that's what it takes to get a spot at some places.

The tricky thing is -- at some of those very same places that are much sought after, they won't actually take your name down unless mommy is already pregnant.

And tons of places (most?) don't take kids that are younger than 2.5 yrs old bcos of stricter regulatory requirements -- there is a lower child-to-caregiver ratio for kids younger than 2.5 yrs old. And tons of places (most?) don't take kids who have not been potty trained.

In the pre-COVID world, we started putting ourselves on daycare waitlists at around the 5-month pregnant mark, and we actually only heard back from some of those same daycares by the time our little person was over 3 yrs old. And the only reason we heard back from them was bcos COVID has resulted in tons of parents taking their kid out of daycare.

And that's the funny thing with COVID -- it actually made daycare availability very, very easy. Of course, it is an entirely different matter whether you wanted to put your child into daycare during that time...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #27561

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
maid in HK for $700 CAD a month I can live like a king
ironed undies

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:52 AM   #27562
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Mmmm all the houses and cars I can get for $4000 a month. Time to move to Asia, according to my CO worker you can hire a maid in HK for $700 CAD a month I can live like a king
Yeah but you'll pay dearly in rent if you don't have a place to stay, and pay even more to operate a car there.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:11 AM   #27563
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Currently paying over 4k for a nanny to watch over 2 kids. My older one is going to Kindergarten in a couple weeks and now my nanny is moving back to Ireland in December. I"ll be out of childcare in a few months for my little one. Past couple weeks been phoning and emailing 40+ childcare centers around for a spot. 2-3 year waitlist for everything. Even Cefa I can't even get in. I'd gladly pay even 3k a month for a proper childcare center vs a nanny since it will be cheaper for a single kid. Just want to start saving money again but I guess I'll have to wait for another couple years....
Sounds rough in the City of Vancouver...

Imagine paying $2 million+ for the privilege of living in a Vancouver special, only to be disappointed by a lack of daycare spaces and having to pay another mortgage payment for a nanny.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #27564
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
That’s why this place is utterly insane to start raising a family.

Thank god I only have to take care of two chihuahuas and a tiny spy balloon. No 4k a month daycare costs for this schmuck.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #27565
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Supposedly, couples are recommended to start putting their "child" on daycare waitlists when they are trying for pregnancy. I know it sounds absurd, but that's what it takes to get a spot at some places.

The tricky thing is -- at some of those very same places that are much sought after, they won't actually take your name down unless mommy is already pregnant.

And tons of places (most?) don't take kids that are younger than 2.5 yrs old bcos of stricter regulatory requirements -- there is a lower child-to-caregiver ratio for kids younger than 2.5 yrs old. And tons of places (most?) don't take kids who have not been potty trained.

In the pre-COVID world, we started putting ourselves on daycare waitlists at around the 5-month pregnant mark, and we actually only heard back from some of those same daycares by the time our little person was over 3 yrs old. And the only reason we heard back from them was bcos COVID has resulted in tons of parents taking their kid out of daycare.

And that's the funny thing with COVID -- it actually made daycare availability very, very easy. Of course, it is an entirely different matter whether you wanted to put your child into daycare during that time...
Yep, we were lucky we got a spot for my youngest into preschool because of covid, and then now b4/afterschool care and daycare for my youngest because we got into brand new facilities. Before that, we weren't on any lists because I didn't want to pay for the stupid application fees just to be on a list and you might not even get in.

I can't imagine waiting 2-3 years on a multiple waitlists and still not being able to get in...that would totally suck.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #27566
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Sounds rough in the City of Vancouver...

Imagine paying $2 million+ for the privilege of living in a Vancouver special, only to be disappointed by a lack of daycare spaces and having to pay another mortgage payment for a nanny.
I don't actually know anyone that paid $2M+ for a property without having the wealth boost from owning property pre 2015.

Those who do though are probably the real ballers, aka $5 - 10M+ net worth out of town. Most, if not all the peeps on my moms block were low income, non skilled immigrants that worked 60+ hours a week to buy their $60-300K house.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #27567
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
That’s why this place is utterly insane to start raising a family.

Thank god I only have to take care of two chihuahuas and a tiny spy balloon. No 4k a month daycare costs for this schmuck.
Taking care of two chihuahuas and a spy balloon probably costs more than $4k/month.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #27568
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I don't actually know anyone that paid $2M+ for a property without having the wealth boost from owning property pre 2015.

Those who do though are probably the real ballers, aka $5 - 10M+ net worth out of town. Most, if not all the peeps on my moms block were low income, non skilled immigrants that worked 60+ hours a week to buy their $60-300K house.
It was a bit tongue in cheek - but no matter how people paid for their detached house in Vancouver, spending $6-8K in monthly housing costs for that Vancouver special seems like an awful deal if you can't even find childcare.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 10:58 AM   #27569

I’m sure a lot of people here with kids here make more than my wife and I but if we were looking at $2000+ a month in child care that would mean little to no investment contributions.

So you’re working just to live day to day
Old 08-23-2023, 11:26 AM   #27570
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
No disrespect to people that don't want kids, but having kids isn't not all bad, and isn't really something that I look at and think what's the ROI on this financial investment.

It's like telling a pet owner that you should never get a pet because of the high cost of health care for animals... but of course many many pet owners will tell you that the expensive emergency surgery was worth every penny.

My kid means the world to me. For us at least, having family is money well spent.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:13 PM   #27571
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
My dad used to love telling me that his coworker that started the same time as him and made the same money bought a Corvette and a Viper and went on trips constantly while he had no car besides his company car and only went on work trips lol

I may be wrong, but I feel like maybe he didn't think I was a good tradeoff
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 12:31 PM   #27572

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

<snip>

But even applying when you start trying isn't enough. If it takes 3.5 years to get a space, take away a year for mat leave and a year for the pregnancy & trying you need to apply at least 18 months or more before you even start trying for a kid to be confident that you'll have a daycare space. That's not something you can "just figure out" beforehand. For some people I know that would've meant going to apply for daycares on their first date lol.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 12:42 PM   #27573
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
But even applying when you start trying isn't enough. If it takes 3.5 years to get a space, take away a year for mat leave and a year for the pregnancy & trying you need to apply at least 18 months or more before you even start trying for a kid to be confident that you'll have a daycare space. That's not something you can "just figure out" beforehand. For some people I know that would've meant going to apply for daycares on their first date lol.
Tell me you're from Kelowna without telling me you're from Kelowna
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 12:49 PM   #27574
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
The worst part about having kids is how they affect your vacations now. Going on vacation with your family is just baby sitting in a different location, which isn't all bad, but it's nothing like it was before. We went to Hawaii and spent about $8k for seven days and it wasn't very relaxing at all. At our age group < 3y.o I think all inclusive in Mexico is the better play.

Gone are the days you can get lost in a city, have a 3pm lunch, be spontaneous. Which to me is the whole point of a vacation, to escape from your every day.

I'm okay with the lack of sleep, i'm okay with being a forever servant to my child, I just really miss going on a proper vacation with just me and the wifey.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2023, 01:41 PM   #27575

Just spent the weekend with my parents and siblings and their kids. After having a handful of beers and watching my sister try and wrangle her kids at the patios we went to and keep their entertained I kinda just blurted out that you couldn’t pay me $1000 to look after them lol

Obviously hyperbole but they didn’t like it too much lol I just can’t stand kids running around making noise etc. I don’t think I’d be going out at all if I had to bring kids along lol