REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:54 PM   #27926
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
You want more rental units? Hold my beer, get rid of taxes on rental income, get rid of rental increase caps, and throw in ability to evict immediately if rent has been missed for more than 2 months. No ifs and buts, try missing your mortgage, car loan or visa payment for 2 months and see what happens.
Getting rid of rental increase caps is a terrible idea. Look what happened in Ontario. But everything else I agree with.
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2023, 09:53 PM   #27927
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
There's no caps on income tax, booze, fentanyl, price of McDonald's, carbon tax, cellphone plans, Costco sweaters, Wendy's, property tax so why is there a cap on rental.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 06:27 AM   #27928
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
You want more rental units? Hold my beer, get rid of taxes on rental income, get rid of rental increase caps, and throw in ability to evict immediately if rent has been missed for more than 2 months. No ifs and buts, try missing your mortgage, car loan or visa payment for 2 months and see what happens.
What if they kept the cap but it was governed by inflation, rent increases can match inflation each year. That seems like the fairest way to do it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2023, 06:29 AM   #27929
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,828 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
That’s how it used to be

Makes a lot more sense than a random number
Old 09-19-2023, 06:32 AM   #27930
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,136 Times in 3,626 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:
There's no caps on income tax, booze, fentanyl, price of McDonald's, carbon tax, cellphone plans, Costco sweaters, Wendy's, property tax so why is there a cap on rental.
DEM BE FIGHTING WORDS!!!!
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2023, 06:53 AM   #27931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That’s how it used to be

Makes a lot more sense than a random number
On another note, cities should not be able to increase annual property taxes any more than inflation as well.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2023, 07:12 AM   #27932

I think the correct route to take for any landlord now is charge the going rate for your unit, but include nothing in the rent. That way the tenant can take on the inflation with hydro, TV and internet, gas, etc.

I’d probably even go as far as to install smart monitoring devices to track electricity usage and write it into the contract that your portion of the electrical is subject to change based on usage, either from an entirely seperate meter and account or active monitoring of usage through a sub panel etc
Old 09-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #27933
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,144 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
On another note, cities should not be able to increase annual property taxes any more than inflation as well.
Neat in theory but it doesn't work in practice. You'd very quickly get into a situation where you're only able to keep the machine up and running (if even that) rather than improving the machine (building new infrastructure).

Example: There's billions of dollars of sewer upgrades Vancouver needs to do in the coming years that have been deferred repeatedly by council - the previous goal was to replace 1% of it every year and the city is far behind now and really needs to replace it at 2% every year just to ensure the system doesn't collapse.

In reality they need to replace it at an even faster rate because the lack of enough sewer infrastructure is one of the key reasons why the new multiplex rule has such low limits on how much can be built - the Engineering department said the sewer system couldn't handle more housing without upgrades.

So instead of raising property taxes to fund sewer replacement - a replacement that would allow us to aggressively address the housing crisis we'll just keep making the housing crisis worse. We are shooting ourselves in the foot - we'll all end up paying more for housing than we would have paid in property taxes to fix the issue.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2023, 08:29 AM   #27934

How do these places with no income tax exist?

Texas, Florida, etc. don’t seem to be collapsing yet no one pays state income tax?

And here we are paying out the ass for every single thing, and all our infastructure isn’t great, transit is garbage, services like garbage, recycling etc. are all completely incompetent.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:39 AM   #27935

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
The property tax in Texas is wild. Some people I know pay like 15-20k a year. It all gets taken in different ways.
I don't know if you've taken transit anywhere else, but here it's honestly amazing in comparison to basically any other North American big city. Annoying yes, but that's more due to the risk of getting stabbed at random on the bus than the transit infrastructure. Income tax in canada is also federal is it not?
Either way I agree with you we aren't fucking getting what we pay for.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2023, 08:43 AM   #27936

Maybe sell more oil? Sell more trees? Nah bro we rather let Russia and the Saudis make that money. We like our citizens paying high gas prices to keep them poor
Old 09-19-2023, 08:44 AM   #27937

I’m a transit user now and I admit it works fine for me, as everything I use it for is along a main line/route

But relative to so many other large cities our transit doesn’t really go anywhere. Maybe that’s to do with the geography of the lower mainland etc. but by 2024 you’d think the north shore would have somthing other than the sea bus to connect the rest of the city.

Like, how long would it take to get to Port Moody if you had to transit from Lynn Valley? Driving you could do it in what, 25 minutes? What’s transit, 2 hours?
Old 09-19-2023, 08:44 AM   #27938
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,144 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:

Texas, Florida, etc. don’t seem to be collapsing yet no one pays state income tax?

And here we are paying out the ass for every single thing, and all our infastructure isn’t great, transit is garbage, services like garbage, recycling etc. are all completely incompetent.
Income tax is just one source of revenue - they get it from other sources like sales or property taxes. That said, Texas and Florida (and many southern states) have lower total tax rates than northern and west coast states but they also have much worse outcomes for its citizens - higher poverty, higher infant mortality, shorter life expectancy. Income distribution is also worse - if you're rich it's great, if you're poor you can go ahead and die please.

The American south fucking sucks - it's like a 3rd world country in some spots (Hello New Orleans). Sure, you pay less taxes but what a shit hole of a place to live.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2023, 08:48 AM   #27939

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
I’m a transit user now and I admit it works fine for me, as everything I use it for is along a main line/route

But relative to so many other large cities our transit doesn’t really go anywhere. Maybe that’s to do with the geography of the lower mainland etc. but by 2024 you’d think the north shore would have somthing other than the sea bus to connect the rest of the city.

Like, how long would it take to get to Port Moody if you had to transit from Lynn Valley? Driving you could do it in what, 25 minutes? What’s transit, 2 hours?
Driving that's like 40-50 mins.
Transit is pretty central based but that makes sense based on needs. People live in the burbs to either work in the burbs or work DT. If you live in North van and have to commute to Port Moody, you really need a boat more than anything lol. Not many people need to make trips like that often so it doesn't make sense to spend the money on more direct routes like that. I know it's just an example, but it's like living in missasauga and working in Newmarket. You aren't finding transit that way either, you kinda just need to move to Newmarket.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:09 AM   #27940

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Income tax is just one source of revenue - they get it from other sources like sales or property taxes. That said, Texas and Florida (and many southern states) have lower total tax rates than northern and west coast states but they also have much worse outcomes for its citizens - higher poverty, higher infant mortality, shorter life expectancy. Income distribution is also worse - if you're rich it's great, if you're poor you can go ahead and die please.

The American south fucking sucks - it's like a 3rd world country in some spots (Hello New Orleans). Sure, you pay less taxes but what a shit hole of a place to live.
Never been. But if you make big money I can definitely see the appeal of those places. I’m sure they have nice enough areas to live in where you’re still coming out well ahead in the long run with the no income tax. Which is why these places are so desirable as professional athletes

But yea I’m sure the lower middle class is subject to a far worse situation than comparable places with income tax. Albeit places like Seattle, California, Oregon looking pretty shit these days as well.

Santa Monica felt like Shaugnesy with homeless sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk
Old 09-19-2023, 09:10 AM   #27941
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,102 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:

thing is we're not a large city. name another city that is our size in north america that has a better transit system than ours? even if you named cities twice our size there wouldnt be very many if any at all. you'd have to go to europe or asia where there is more density before you found places that had better transit development versus density.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:20 AM   #27942

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,312 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:

The bar is low, but the fact that you CAN do that on transit, and it's all one system is amazing.

A lot of cities you wouldn't even be able to make a trip like that, nevermind being able to traverse it all on one ticket.

Transit is amazing HK, but it's also 2 major bus lines, 2 different kinds of mini buses where they are owner operated, what used to be two train lines now unified into one, and taxis. Every embark will cost you money, and shits not cheap. Vancouver transit is slow, but it is cheap, and can get you almost anywhere eventually. I don't know what things would look like if it was the same cost as HK.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:31 AM   #27943

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Neat in theory but it doesn't work in practice. You'd very quickly get into a situation where you're only able to keep the machine up and running (if even that) rather than improving the machine (building new infrastructure).

Example: There's billions of dollars of sewer upgrades Vancouver needs to do in the coming years that have been deferred repeatedly by council - the previous goal was to replace 1% of it every year and the city is far behind now and really needs to replace it at 2% every year just to ensure the system doesn't collapse.

In reality they need to replace it at an even faster rate because the lack of enough sewer infrastructure is one of the key reasons why the new multiplex rule has such low limits on how much can be built - the Engineering department said the sewer system couldn't handle more housing without upgrades.

So instead of raising property taxes to fund sewer replacement - a replacement that would allow us to aggressively address the housing crisis we'll just keep making the housing crisis worse. We are shooting ourselves in the foot - we'll all end up paying more for housing than we would have paid in property taxes to fix the issue.
That's all fair, the anoying part is the rest of us can't just go to our employer when our yard has to be dug up because a pipe burst and say shits rough out there going to need a 7% raise this year so just go ahead and do that if you wouldn't mind. There has to be some accountability in lack of fore site, I understand that sometimes it's impossible to plan for the unforeseen but when the tax payers really have no say in how the city manages its money (sometimes really poorly) and any overages are then tossed back on the tax payer to absorb with limited accountability it's kind of frustrating. Sure we can vote them out but cycle just repeats.

Not sure if there is a better way but the entire system can be frustrating at times.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:56 AM   #27944

Yea would you rather drive an hour every day to commute or take transit that's 4 hours a day in the cold and pissing rain 70% of the year + possibly get a free stabbing or shooting. where's the sfu gondola? Where's the Delta tunnel bridge? Y do we need sky train to kits, no one lives there and they all drive Bugattis, we're just building it so hobos can sky train there to stab stab.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-19-2023, 09:56 AM   #27945

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The bar is low, but the fact that you CAN do that on transit, and it's all one system is amazing.

A lot of cities you wouldn't even be able to make a trip like that, nevermind being able to traverse it all on one ticket.

Transit is amazing HK, but it's also 2 major bus lines, 2 different kinds of mini buses where they are owner operated, what used to be two train lines now unified into one, and taxis. Every embark will cost you money, and shits not cheap. Vancouver transit is slow, but it is cheap, and can get you almost anywhere eventually. I don't know what things would look like if it was the same cost as HK.
Yea.. while I detest the bus, I get pretty far pretty quickly for $7 a day or whatever it is
Old 09-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #27946
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Sounds like another rate hike might be incoming.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2023, 10:20 AM   #27947
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you can miss your mortgage, car by 3-4 months. Not going to fuck around and find out though lol.

Visa payments can be like 4-6 months and you call in to negotiate.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:23 AM   #27948
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:

https://smartasset.com/taxes/texas-p...tor#pQ8c7xlFH6

Your typical $2.4M Van house would be $46,800 in taxes. Man did a quick scan of houses within 30 min of city centre in Austin and their prices are consistent with houses in Kits / Mansions in Richmond / West side / Capital hill. I wonder if all of them are pay $20 - 60K in ppt taxes.

Aka we need to make more money!!

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:30 AM   #27949
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^
I read your web link as smartass hahaha
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:30 AM   #27950
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
https://financialpost.com/news/canad...lready-be-here

I doubt it, more than you can afford pal Canadia
August CPI hit 4% so BOC will be tempted.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote