REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:04 PM   #28026
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
tbh im not sure how these things are getting paid but i do remember him mentioning to me that he wasnt able to pay the prop tax in lieu of the owner, so something else is going on there. he tried to do that to take some heat off of the situation. strata i have no idea... maybe its getting auto debited from his bank account? i don't want to ask again lol. he is one of my really close friends though so i know this is all true.
Isn't it easy to pay property tax? Anyone with a Canadian bank can pay, it's like paying a credit card bill. You just add the City of Vancouver as a Payee and then pay it. The city doesn't care where the money comes from as long as they get it.
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #28027

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
That's why I spend money on experiences the only mofos that can jack me is Old Man Time or Alzheimer's.
experiences are so fleeting I find.. Always onto the next one, wanting that fix...

I need help finding true happiness. How tf do I do that?
Old 09-25-2023, 02:53 PM   #28028
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
As an adult they call that Middle-Class Fancy. Same people brag that they got lounge access on their latest flight, but really it came free with their credit card they pay $99 a year for.
People brag about that? Also people pay CC fees on purpose? I have like 20-30 lounge passes from churning CC's lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
the 700kish remainder is more than enough to support herself including her cpp/gis. despite this she still wants all our cans and cartons for recycling deposits. some asians do be like dat.
I think people overestimate their spending in their retirement. It's even worse when they're over 65 - 70. Mom can't do any activities aside from walk. Can't travel without sons going with her. So expensive tastes because she never ate out her whole life. Do you think $700K @ 4-5% withdrawal ($28-35K) CPP / GIS ($20K) is overkill for your mom? That's almost $48 - 55K a year with no rent costs. My mom hardly spends more than $1k/year in total costs including pptax and utilities.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 02:56 PM   #28029
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
experiences are so fleeting I find.. Always onto the next one, wanting that fix...
Same goes for material goods. Probably even more so.

Quote:
I need help finding true happiness. How tf do I do that?
I dunno, relationships? Spending time and experiences with people you care about I guess. If someone has the answer that 100% works for everyone he'd be a wealthy shit-grinning man. I get what you're saying though, the older I get the more "the juice is not worth the squeeze" attitude I'm feeling with everything.

Also who else thinks we should rename this the "Financial/Existential Crisis thread". I think we only talk about housing like 50% of the time now.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #28030
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I’ve been considering getting the Amex aeroplan reserve to get lounge access.. lol

It’s $500 a year but any star alliance lounge, priority security line, free Premium boarding, free checked bags, free companion passes etc.

My buddy who has the card with nexus walks right through almost every security line in N/A, necer hassle boarding or with bags, no lounge blackouts

Might not get “value” persay but the stress it alleviates has been tempting for that alone
Old 09-25-2023, 03:40 PM   #28031
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I think people overestimate their spending in their retirement. It's even worse when they're over 65 - 70. Mom can't do any activities aside from walk. Can't travel without sons going with her. So expensive tastes because she never ate out her whole life. Do you think $700K @ 4-5% withdrawal ($28-35K) CPP / GIS ($20K) is overkill for your mom? That's almost $48 - 55K a year with no rent costs. My mom hardly spends more than $1k/year in total costs including pptax and utilities.
You have a very frugal mom, but I know some seniors who are at the polar opposite of the spectrum LOL~

Quote:
I get what you're saying though, the older I get the more "the juice is not worth the squeeze" attitude I'm feeling with everything.
Funny how I was talking to an old buddy recently about this very same topic. Both of us used to be into sports and cars in our (much) younger days, and he was arguably the better athlete and more adventurous car person. But now he is acknowledging how he hardly has any enthusiasm for anything anymore. Financially, he is in a very comfortable position -- probably one of the most wealthy person that I have a direct friendship with, but it just doesn't seem like he is enjoying the ride all that much anymore.

Sigh...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 04:08 PM   #28032
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Also who else thinks we should rename this the "Financial/Existential Crisis thread". I think we only talk about housing like 50% of the time now.
The cost of housing is so high now that it's created all new crises. If you have a mortgage you probably are experiencing a financial crisis right now.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:22 PM   #28033
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 17 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I’ve been considering getting the Amex aeroplan reserve to get lounge access.. lol

It’s $500 a year but any star alliance lounge, priority security line, free Premium boarding, free checked bags, free companion passes etc.

My buddy who has the card with nexus walks right through almost every security line in N/A, necer hassle boarding or with bags, no lounge blackouts

Might not get “value” persay but the stress it alleviates has been tempting for that alone
When did it include any star alliance lounge? I have the td privilege version and its just the crappy maple leaf lounges and 6 passes for dragonpass.

Iirc the amex, td, cibc top aeroplan cards are pretty much the same benefits across the boad just some differences with aeroplan bonus points

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #28034
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Lol, I got excited when I read that.

I took a look on the AMEX website and it's only for Maple Leaf Lounges in Canada and the USA.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 05:34 PM   #28035

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdownvictim View Post
When did it include any star alliance lounge? I have the td privilege version and its just the crappy maple leaf lounges and 6 passes for dragonpass.

Iirc the amex, td, cibc top aeroplan cards are pretty much the same benefits across the boad just some differences with aeroplan bonus points
Never mind I’m mistaken lol

It’s any maple leaf lounge, and then you get priority pass as part of the annual fee. Could have sworn I read different.

So yea.. not great as I currently have dragon pass with my Scotia Passport card and there wasn’t even a ducking lounge I got access to at LAX..

Carry on
Old 09-25-2023, 05:59 PM   #28036
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I know of 2 couples recently married where the new trend is for the wife to buy the husband a Rolex because they had to spend money on the engagement ring.

I for one welcome this new form of patriarchy where the man receives a gift that actually holds value whereas the woman receives one that she'd be lucky to trade for 30% what was paid for it hahaha!!

I told my GF that it's important that we honour these new traditions going forward.
Is this for real? Asking for a...friend

We get gifts now too?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 06:04 PM   #28037
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
I can’t imagine getting robbed on the street for a 20k watch would be anything but a nightmare to get an insurance claim on

When’s the last time you had the clasp serviced? Were you walking alone after 8pm? Did you recently lose weight making your watch looser than normal? Do you have the police officers mainden name?

Lol like having somthing stolen off your person out in public seems like it would be virtually impossible to insure because who’s to say you’re not bullshiting or you didn’t leave it in your car etc.
I agree with this, which is why I never understood paying $20K+ on an engagement ring.

I'm a fairly scary guy and I still wouldn't walk around with $20K anywhere on my person, much less that type of jewelry.

What's going to stop some dude dummying your wife for her big ass rock she's flaunting around? How can a woman feel comfortable walking around with such a ring?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 06:11 PM   #28038

When I was doing research into engagement rings I came across some bizarre forums full of rich guys with Ferraris in their avatars etc. discussing diamonds and other gem trade

The general consensus among these people at least was that anything over 1 carat was tasteless and gaudy. I wouldn’t doubt what you’re saying there kind of contributes to that mentality. And generally, unless you’ve got literally money to burn, rich people aren’t flaunting thousands of dollars of jewelry on a daily basis

It’s usually the people who are wearing their net worth who are flaunting it lol
Old 09-25-2023, 07:35 PM   #28039

Quote:
When I was doing research into engagement rings I came across some bizarre forums full of rich guys with Ferraris in their avatars etc. discussing diamonds and other gem trade

The general consensus among these people at least was that anything over 1 carat was tasteless and gaudy. I wouldn’t doubt what you’re saying there kind of contributes to that mentality. And generally, unless you’ve got literally money to burn, rich people aren’t flaunting thousands of dollars of jewelry on a daily basis

It’s usually the people who are wearing their net worth who are flaunting it lol
There is zero chance that guys who own ferrari's are getting anything less than 3 carats lol. Especially if their wives are white (bigger hands), one carat on a white girl will look tiny.

Your last sentence is contrary to the fact those same guys are wearing their net worth as their daily...

Now that they have lab diamonds, I have no problem upgrading my wife's ring now. Those lab diamonds are cheap as f*ck
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 08:58 PM   #28040

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:

Cause housing takes up > 50% of our income. Man if most of us had sub $2-4K mortgages on a detached house. We could probably crowd buy a Mission Racetrack just for ourselves and sauce around GT3s

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 09:05 PM   #28041
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:

I have this card, ive been using it for almost a year and id say its totally worth it.

First the aeroplan sign up bonuses are insane. over 100k in points, which basically gives you a free trip to asia

Secondly, you get unlimited air canada lounge access but you only get star alliance lounges once you hit over 50k on Aeroplan member. If youre a measily 25, or 35k member, you dont get those star alliance lounges.

The companion pass isnt free, you gotta spend 35k a year on that credit card to get the companion pass. Also that companion pass basically works like this. if you buy an airfare (economy only) from Vancouver to Shanghai for 2k, the companion pays $399 (cheaper if you use companion pass to fly domestic or within north america) to fly with you. You only get one a year, and you get it a year after you join the credit card.

So yes, quite a lot of perks, and its worth the solid 500 bucks a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I took a look on the AMEX website and it's only for Maple Leaf Lounges in Canada and the USA.
They have a few international lounges in choice cities like Frankfurt, Shanghai, and Tokyo. You can access those as well.

P.s. most importantly its metal. you can use it to cut coke/fent or throw it at a nearby peasant like a ninja star. If you chuck it hard enough it might even injury said peon.

Last edited by Badhobz; 09-25-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 09:16 PM   #28042

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
There is zero chance that guys who own ferrari's are getting anything less than 3 carats lol. Especially if their wives are white (bigger hands), one carat on a white girl will look tiny.

Your last sentence is contrary to the fact those same guys are wearing their net worth as their daily...

Now that they have lab diamonds, I have no problem upgrading my wife's ring now. Those lab diamonds are cheap as f*ck
then these guys arent truly rich. like you said before honda, they can afford to wear it even if there is a chance it might get jacked. They just dont care.

2-3 carats is pretty standard nowadays. My wifes cunty friends are all rocking those sizes and its like whatever. But it just has to be harry winston or some high end shit. not like a 2-3ct spence diamonds, lab-grown piece of shit. NEED BLOOD DIAMOND OR ELSE LAME.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 09:47 PM   #28043

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
then these guys arent truly rich. like you said before honda, they can afford to wear it even if there is a chance it might get jacked. They just dont care.

2-3 carats is pretty standard nowadays. My wifes cunty friends are all rocking those sizes and its like whatever. But it just has to be harry winston or some high end shit. not like a 2-3ct spence diamonds, lab-grown piece of shit. NEED BLOOD DIAMOND OR ELSE LAME.
Damn, I think me and people in my social circle are fucking peasants in a relative sense.

How do people pay for these kinda stuff? A 1-carat Cartier was 10k+ 15yrs ago. And it goes up exponentially from there. I remember the Cartier sale in Chicago showed us a 10-carat IF D diamond ring that goes for half a mil, and was even asking where we lived as maybe there's something they could do to avoid the crazy sales tax in IL.

I was like dude, I'm flattered that you think a person rocking a $12 sandals with Ecko Unlimited T-shirt is ready to drop half a mil on a ring, but there's no way I'm dropping that kind of dough for a tiny ring.

Seriously though... I know my share of ultra-riches (easily 100M+ in networth), but even them aren't buying a 2-3 carats diamond ring from big names.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:17 PM   #28044
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
It all boils down to the crowd you hang out with - some people care about material possessions, while others don't. I know people in both camps at most socioeconomic levels.

Last edited by radeonboy; 09-25-2023 at 10:29 PM.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2023, 03:18 AM   #28045
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
They have a few international lounges in choice cities like Frankfurt, Shanghai, and Tokyo. You can access those as well.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ersonal.html#/

Perhaps they changed it? This in the bottom terms and conditions.

Access excludes Maple Leaf Lounges outside of Canada and the United States, Air Canada Signature Suites, and lounges operated by third parties, such as Star Alliance member airlines.

Looks like you get Priority Pass membership, so you would still have access to those lounges. The ones at TPE look pretty nice.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:43 AM   #28046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Seriously though... I know my share of ultra-riches (easily 100M+ in networth), but even them aren't buying a 2-3 carats diamond ring from big names.
thats probably cuz they have more sense! young-er asian women are quite materialistic damnit. a 2-3carat is like what 60-120k and to them thats nothing. My wife lost her big carat ring somewhere in our old house and we still cant find it, its been 10 years. So whoever buys our place might find a 2carat cartier ring somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ersonal.html#/

Perhaps they changed it? This in the bottom terms and conditions.

Access excludes Maple Leaf Lounges outside of Canada and the United States, Air Canada Signature Suites, and lounges operated by third parties, such as Star Alliance member airlines.

Looks like you get Priority Pass membership, so you would still have access to those lounges. The ones at TPE look pretty nice.
ohhh i guess they changed it those bastards. But anyways, these lounges arent really worth it. Especially domestic. Priority pass is quite expensive and not a good deal as it has a per-use fee. If you wanted priority pass for sure go up to Amex Platinum as you get unlimited priority pass access. Only prob is platinum annual fee is a bit higher and if you are dedicated to Aeroplan like i am, you get less earnings on your card.
Old 09-26-2023, 07:08 AM   #28047
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^
Do you need someone to come do a deep clean of your house for you before it goes up for sale?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 07:22 AM   #28048

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
thats probably cuz they have more sense! young-er asian women are quite materialistic damnit. a 2-3carat is like what 60-120k and to them thats nothing. My wife lost her big carat ring somewhere in our old house and we still cant find it, its been 10 years. So whoever buys our place might find a 2carat cartier ring somewhere.

ohhh i guess they changed it those bastards. But anyways, these lounges arent really worth it. Especially domestic. Priority pass is quite expensive and not a good deal as it has a per-use fee. If you wanted priority pass for sure go up to Amex Platinum as you get unlimited priority pass access. Only prob is platinum annual fee is a bit higher and if you are dedicated to Aeroplan like i am, you get less earnings on your card.
10 years? probably didn't lose it in the house I'd think you would have stumbled upon it by fluke it it was

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 07:27 AM   #28049

Sounds like Badhobz got finessed out of a 2carat cartier ring...

She probably gave it to her boyfriend.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2023, 08:07 AM   #28050

nah she likes to hide things (just in case the house gets broken in) so its one of those things where she hide it so well that we never ended up finding it again.

Typical guangdong hoarder bullshit. Im telling ya, you southern chinese people have a major fucking problem with hoarding. Could be because the commies come in to take your shit