REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:08 PM   #28326
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
As evofire said though, these Airbnb homes aren’t homes people have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for.
Maybe not those homes directly, but when someone wants to upgrade to a bigger/nicer place that's currently a STR it opens up their cheaper place. And so on down the line.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #28327
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Isn't 150k a year, 8.6k a month take home?
Minus 2500 a month for rent.
Still left with 6.1k a month, which equal to 100k income before tax.
I think the issue is that folks who make $150K. Expect themselves to be driving a M4 / 911 / AMG + a being able to buy a house. Hobbies, eating out without looking at menu price, savings to retire comfortably at 50-60.

They're sold that if they do well in school, life, and get a top 10% salary, they can have anything they want.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r.../index-en.html

^
I'm surprised top 10% Total Income in BC for 25 -34 males is only $102K before tax. $150K puts ya at top 1%.

$150K - Top 10% of 35 - 44
$150K - Top 12ish% of 45 to 54

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2023, 02:32 PM   #28328
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If people were smart enough and motivated enough to do that AirBnB wouldn't exist.
I'm curious how one would think these suggested "under the table" AirBNB's would work?

There'd be nothing stopping a guest from making an argument to the RTB that they in fact started a tenancy on that property... That'd put the operator in a bit of a pickle....
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:55 PM   #28329
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If people were smart enough and motivated enough to do that AirBnB wouldn't exist.
The vast majority of Airbnb hosts don’t want to deal with anything full time. The service takes care of booking etc. the transactions are easy, there’s no worry.

I think it won’t be so much creating a website etc. but at work we have an internal classifieds people post their homes on for vacation rentals etc.

What about saying Grandma lives there? Or renting out a property that isn’t yours? What if the home is owned under a business?
Old 10-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #28330
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
[QUOTE=EvoFire;9112200]One of the things that AirBnb allowed was having 4 families all rent a house together on a large get together trip. We once rented a 5 bd house in Kelowna because there were 4 couples traveling together. This will throw that whole thing out the window and renting a hotel just isn't the same without the shared space to hang out.

Sorry I missed this from the announcement, but which part of the rule change is not allowing this?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:34 PM   #28331
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
People always say this but it's really only true for the guys that put in work to stay looking good and/or were good looking to begin with. For every Clooney out there is 100 dudes who have put on a lot of weight and/or balding hard when they reach middle age. What makes them age like wine is their bank account and women's ability to care about money more than looks lol.
Asians don't raisin, man.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #28332
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
The Communist government says you can only rent out your principal residence. So if you get the whole house or apartment.........

So you can only air BNB if you sleep with your renters

[quote=xxxrsxxx;9112304]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
One of the things that AirBnb allowed was having 4 families all rent a house together on a large get together trip. We once rented a 5 bd house in Kelowna because there were 4 couples traveling together. This will throw that whole thing out the window and renting a hotel just isn't the same without the shared space to hang out.

Sorry I missed this from the announcement, but which part of the rule change is not allowing this?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #28333
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Asians don't raisin, man.

True old Asian men be drowning in pussy
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:06 PM   #28334
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
UBC sponsored pussy.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:15 PM   #28335
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Chinamenz do love their cats.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:17 PM   #28336
RabidMod

Thanked 1,350 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
It's okay to have compassion and empathy for other people. If he wants to be the "nice" guy, I don't see a problem with it. He doesn't have a lack mentality. He knows he's moving onto bigger and better things. I think people need to shift their mindset from your line of thinking and look at the opportunity he has now.

He's free as a bird. His life is only going to get better. He's a 35 y.o single good looking man who makes close to $150k a year and his income will continue to increase. If you have to pick a winner, it's most definitely him. Without question.
At the risk of getting labeled an accomplice in gayness , I agree and I'm glad you posted this. I appreciate the reminder.

We're not our parents. They lived through times where happiness meant not going to bed hungry, after making sure the kids ate first and had their square meal. For them, happiness meant saving and hoarding every cent they could, because there was never enough money and they never know when tough would get tougher. People died.

But our lives aren't in the bottom of the hierarchy of needs anymore, not on buddy's income anyway.

It's a temporary cashflow setback to be sure, but he'll make it back. To your point, his income will only grow. He's a good guy and people respond to that. People notice when someone is relatable and respectable, and people like to take care of their own. I presume he practices that same empathy in the workplace, on a professional, technical, business capacity. That's a winning recipe in any career.

When you're doing ok for yourself, joy doesn't come from hoarding cash which is really just about survival and amassing cool material shit. Joy derives from things like having and acting on compassion for others. Giving and sacrificing judiciously, when and if it's the right thing to do, when it's not going to dip too badly into your own basic needs. Doing things that having meaning and purpose.

Imo, money only buys you happiness if you're dirt poor. Being a decent person buys you joy when you're doing alright and beyond.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:25 PM   #28337
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I think the issue is that folks who make $150K. Expect themselves to be driving a M4 / 911 / AMG + a being able to buy a house. Hobbies, eating out without looking at menu price, savings to retire comfortably at 50-60.

They're sold that if they do well in school, life, and get a top 10% salary, they can have anything they want.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r.../index-en.html

^
I'm surprised top 10% Total Income in BC for 25 -34 males is only $102K before tax. $150K puts ya at top 1%.

$150K - Top 10% of 35 - 44
$150K - Top 12ish% of 45 to 54
Yeah - the unfortunate reality is I think the real household income number needed to have the "2 new European cars, a new-ish house in Vancouver, and take vacations, dine out, and go retire at 60 or earlier" is $500k/year.

-Mark
Old 10-19-2023, 03:20 PM   #28338
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I'm somewhat surprised on a google search earlier to see that in BC the average purchase price for a car is $67,000... that seems crazy.. and 20% higher than last year!

You'd think with real estate prices and shit income levels in general here that wouldn't be possible.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #28339
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 187 Posts
Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm somewhat surprised on a google search earlier to see that in BC the average purchase price for a car is $67,000... that seems crazy.. and 20% higher than last year!

You'd think with real estate prices and shit income levels in general here that wouldn't be possible.

It's the 144 month lease!
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2023, 03:32 PM   #28340
in the butt

Quote:

I prefer used cars in that price range

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2023, 03:52 PM   #28341
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
I was speaking to one of my coworkers in Kelowna who estimates. He was telling me they currently have 3 towers on the books, one is half done, one is just starting and one is still a bit out and they are all behind almost 1 year from presale estimated turnover.

He was telling me they were marketed as a great option for a vacation spot/Airbnb being near the water. He was saying it will be interesting to see how many of the presale owners complete and how many just cut their loses and walk away with the current interest rates and now the changes to the short term rentals. That last tower for example, if it hasn't even started it's probably at least 2+ years out from turn over, not sure on the height which could make it longer than that.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #28342
in the butt

Only in Canada/usa people walk into a road and don't care about being run over

Over in Europe, Africa, SAmerica, Asia, you know very dam well at a young age, to pay attention when crossing a street

snowflake central over here

Old 10-19-2023, 07:09 PM   #28343

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Only in Canada/usa people walk into a road and don't care about being run over

Over in Europe, Africa, SAmerica, Asia, you know very dam well at a young age, to pay attention when crossing a street

snowflake central over here
Not sure where your post originated from, but from experiences in China. If you make eye contact with the driver as a pedestrian they will NOT STOP. If you keep your head down, pretending to be oblivious to everything around you, they WILL STOP if you’re stepping out in front of them. I can’t say that’s why we see some of the shit here, but it’s definitely a thing.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2023, 09:20 PM   #28344
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,239 Times in 425 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Not sure where your post originated from, but from experiences in China. If you make eye contact with the driver as a pedestrian they will NOT STOP. If you keep your head down, pretending to be oblivious to everything around you, they WILL STOP if you’re stepping out in front of them. I can’t say that’s why we see some of the shit here, but it’s definitely a thing.
It's a good point about localized social norms and expectations. In Vietnam, it was the same advice. Just keep going and don't stop. if need be the scooters will go around you. It's when you play frogger and stop/pause for openings that will put you out of the normal expected pedestrian behavior and cause issues.

My MIL got honked at quite a few times crossing streets when she'd get nervous and pause in the middle.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:37 AM   #28345
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I was speaking to one of my coworkers in Kelowna who estimates. He was telling me they currently have 3 towers on the books, one is half done, one is just starting and one is still a bit out and they are all behind almost 1 year from presale estimated turnover.

He was telling me they were marketed as a great option for a vacation spot/Airbnb being near the water. He was saying it will be interesting to see how many of the presale owners complete and how many just cut their loses and walk away with the current interest rates and now the changes to the short term rentals. That last tower for example, if it hasn't even started it's probably at least 2+ years out from turn over, not sure on the height which could make it longer than that.
Are they the ones that are all within a couple blocks of each other along Lakeshore Road?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:46 AM   #28346
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

He was saying it will be interesting to see how many of the presale owners complete and how many just cut their loses and walk away with the current interest rates and now the changes to the short term rentals.
"Oh, i'm going to default the 5% deposit, then buy again since now they are giving out free parking, free 10k furniture budget, free lockers and at a much better price" .... errr good luck.

Good luck trying to walk away, realtor friend in presales said, try reading the T&C and the developers are always in the win.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:07 AM   #28347
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality View Post
It's the 144 month lease!
One of my friends has an Audi A4, S-line, and he's been on a perpetual lease for the last three cars he's had and his payment is like $800/month. With Insurance and gas, he's over $1k/month on his car. He only makes $80k a year gross...

Let's say net:
$65,000
= $5,500/month net
($1,000) - Car payment
($2,000) - rent
= $2,400 left over

He has zero savings, but his car looks pretty f*cking nice if you ask me. He also looks fresh as f*ck everytime you see him because he gets a $40 hair cut every two weeks.

Depends on what you value.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 08:34 AM   #28348
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:

With Richmond being Tesla Central, and BC being the among the top 2 adopters of EVs in Canada, I am not at all surprised by the high average purchase price of cars.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 09:18 AM   #28349

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
One of my friends has an Audi A4, S-line, and he's been on a perpetual lease for the last three cars he's had and his payment is like $800/month. With Insurance and gas, he's over $1k/month on his car. He only makes $80k a year gross...

Let's say net:
$65,000
= $5,500/month net
($1,000) - Car payment
($2,000) - rent
= $2,400 left over

He has zero savings, but his car looks pretty f*cking nice if you ask me. He also looks fresh as f*ck everytime you see him because he gets a $40 hair cut every two weeks.

Depends on what you value.
ah! the... fake it till you make it... type.
THose are the dudes thats gonna blow a mental gasket one of these days trying to keep up with the Jonses.

moot.. you should tell him to buy a used ratrolla, cut his own hair, and start wearing costco clothing. Then he'll be ballarrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. are you hitting on this guy too peanutty?
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 09:20 AM   #28350
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Is it just me or am I amazed how some of you know the intricate details of your friends' financial situations?

I mean I know most of my friends are generally doing well financially or a few voice they are struggling. Every once in a while the topic of salary and major expenses comes up but in no way do I ever get a full picture of their financial situations the way some of you guys (think you?) do. *shrugs*

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: