REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #28376
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
fuck 60k for a x1. that used to be the starting price of the x5. lousy inflation.
With a couple packages, X5s are $100k now!
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 02:08 PM   #28377
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Assume everyone on Revscene’s household income is well over $250K+
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 02:13 PM   #28378
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Probably a fair assumption. I think a lot of "two professionals working" households are in the $200-300k range and certainly there are a good number in the $300-400k range as well.

-Mark
Old 10-20-2023, 02:14 PM   #28379
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Assume everyone on Revscene’s household income is well over $250K+

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #28380
RabidMod

Thanked 1,350 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Good call. I think the original spirit of our discussion was around what we disclose offline among friends, which is a relatively closed-loop system of trust and risk containment.

Releasing information online is pretty open-loop and you have little knowledge or control over how that can be used against you.
That said, I do think it's worth sharing generally with each other on ways to make money, and what you trade off for it:

See:

Thread: "Car Sales - Job Change - Advice needed"
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7175...ce-needed.html
Question: Should I risk it all to make a leap into car sales?
Answer: Gonna be a hell of a grind. But if you're ok with that, and you love the shit out of cars then you're gonna do pretty good, and have fun while doing it.

Thread: "Finance Manager Career at Dealerships?"
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7177...alerships.html
Question: I'm a CPA but I hate it. But I love cars. Should I be a dealership finance manager?
[my] Answer (among plenty of other great ones): No. But here's another option: if you're ok to leave family and friends behind (at least for a while) to make a new life in Toronto or the US, you're going to find way more opportunities to align your skillset with interests, and you'll usually do pretty ok when you love what you do. Also here's a recipe for US work authorization.

Last edited by RabidRat; 10-20-2023 at 02:26 PM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 02:20 PM   #28381
RS Veteran

@donk - You just bought a Corvette and 68style subtley flexes about his Calgary pre-sale.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 02:23 PM   #28382
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Probably a fair assumption. I think a lot of "two professionals working" households are in the $200-300k range and certainly there are a good number in the $300-400k range as well.

-Mark
I was being facetious but based on the StatsCan stats, looks like all the 1 percenters within the age bracket are on RS!
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 02:57 PM   #28383
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
only 1%ers can waste time on RS. everyone else is too busy scratching out a so-called living in vancouver.

1% and sad old fucks who just want to relive the good ole day of yore.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 02:57 PM   #28384
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Well duh, what did you think we were? Poor? When was the last time you heard someone on here bitching about getting evicted or can't afford their 3% rent increase and power to the tenants
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 03:00 PM   #28385
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
I tell them to ask themselves "what are you worth?, take that number, and prove to management you deserve X dollars."
Oh man, this! One day it clicked in my head that how much I make isn't going to come from me sitting there and worrying about how much I'm owed. It's about generating incredible value first. Figuring out what my manager needs for them to succeed, helping them do that, and they can pay me if they think I'm worth it. Tying management's destiny to mine. Putting them on the other end of it, to say holy shit, is this what he's doing for us? Fuck's sake, pay the man or he could leave!

Sitting in on management meetings, that is how it's been posed by leadership & HR: one of the major drivers of compensation increase & promotion is in deciding whether it would be a strategic loss to the org if someone left. Are we gonna be fucked if they go? Then give them whatever it takes.
Old 10-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #28386

management blows. this is me in our weekly manager meetings

them: so forecast shows a steep volume drop in 2024..... badhobz can you please pay attention and get off your phone!?

me: What what?! no no no i am paying attention, im writing to a very important client (RS forum)

them: please pay attention. this is important!

me: Of course, of course, i am listening. I just couldn't hear you over the manly grunts of your transgender, nonbinary hippie secretary you hired.

them: So as i was saying, volumes are down and thus our bonus for this year will be lowered to only 40% of your salaries.

Me: *looks up* THIS IS A FUCKING OUTRAGE!!!!
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 03:18 PM   #28387
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
He also looks fresh as f*ck everytime you see him because he gets a $40 hair cut every two weeks.

Depends on what you value.
I was going to stop getting skin fades every 2 - 3 weeks. But I realized that I'll likely only have decent hair until I'm 35-40ish and I can go back to the $8-13 asian hair cut places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Is it just me or am I amazed how some of you know the intricate details of your friends' financial situations?

I mean I know most of my friends are generally doing well financially or a few voice they are struggling. Every once in a while the topic of salary and major expenses comes up but in no way do I ever get a full picture of their financial situations the way some of you guys (think you?) do. *shrugs*
I remember it was taboo talking about it growing up but nowadays I'd say at least 80% of my close friends have compared or talked about budgeting and income. It's definitely growing in popularity with the rise in CNBC + Personal finance social medias. Lots of people adopting FIRE/PFC recently too. With new friends, conversation pops up pretty early as well, especially if you + the other party are into FIRE/churning/same industry.

The most common questions that lead to salary / expenses are like
- Do you invest?
- What credit cards are good?
- You flew for free for the last 8 years?
- How'd you buy your place so young?
- Having to pay for your own school/student loans?
- How much does your cars / mortgage cost?

I think the biggest financial downfall of people in the middle class is getting shitty value for what you are trying to buy or not investing. Middle upper class is buying the 911 / $4-8K/month house too early.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 10-20-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 05:19 PM   #28388
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,911 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Well duh, what did you think we were? Poor? When was the last time you heard someone on here bitching about getting evicted or can't afford their 3% rent increase and power to the tenants
I seem to remember lots of RSers either living with their parents rent free until 35 or getting handed their down payments so I don't think they need to make 250k to live like people that do.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 06:21 PM   #28389
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
- You flew for free for the last 8 years?
Wait what? How?!
Old 10-20-2023, 06:32 PM   #28390

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Wait what? How?!
Work trips accumulate points. A friend who's a director of marketing almost flies for free and stays in hotels for free when she travels because she's racked up so much points flying for work.

When you fly for work, the flying is still done under your name and all the points are accumulated under your name, not the company's.

The other one is the whole Amex thing where if you are high roller enough, the points will be enough for you to fly once a year or something. The Alaska Airlines credit card is pretty good too last I heard, then there are partnerships between certain airlines that allow you to transfer points and miles between.

One might not be able to accumulate enough with one method, but you start finding ways to group them together you can do some pretty amazing things, at the expense of cashback. I'm not high roller enough to do it.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2023, 10:24 PM   #28391
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
I dabbled in work travel for a couple years to earn some free hotel stays for vacation but work travel took a big toll in hindsight. Sure you get free points but wasting all day traveling and having to adjust to time zones every other week sucked balls. It's a fair trade, far from "free".
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:22 AM   #28392
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
not to mention eating at crappy chain restaurants on a regular basis just to survive. when you're busy with work you don't usually have the luxury to explore the area and find cool places to eat all the time, assuming you're somewhere that even has options. you're usually eating what's close, and often that's something that you would never otherwise step foot into given the choice.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2023, 08:21 AM   #28393

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunt3r View Post
I dabbled in work travel for a couple years to earn some free hotel stays for vacation but work travel took a big toll in hindsight. Sure you get free points but wasting all day traveling and having to adjust to time zones every other week sucked balls. It's a fair trade, far from "free".
Oh for sure, work travel isn't traveling. You are just working out of a different office for a few days. Unless you are Barney Stinson work traveling typically sucks.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:04 AM   #28394
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,188 Times in 241 Posts
Failed 326 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Thats healthy man. Im glad you got friends who are open like that and who you can be open with. Especially when it comes to finances. Those are some tricky waters to navigate.

As for your materialistic friend, ive honestly seen too many people go down that road and into a heap of debt with no real gains.

Just like a friend of mine, who really isnt one of those girly girl's but she bought a 15k chanel bag because all her friends are into luxury handbags. We all gave her shit about it. She has a HUGE mortgage *like 7k a month?!?, drives a mazda 3, and is working 4 jobs.

Why on gods earth would you splurge on a lousy handbag if you cant afford it? So sad. Plus i told her blantantly that if you walk out with your 15k chanel bag in that mazda 3, and your Aldo shoes, everyone's gonna think that shit is fake.

Poor girl, she even drove to calgary just to save the tax on that bag. I mean on one hand she can claim they only get more expensive year over year and that its a good investment.... but on the other hand, shaddup you stupid bitch.
15k chanel bag in that mazda 3, and your aldo shoes, lmfao, that shit had me rolling maybe she's into expensive handbags... everything doesn't have to be expensive jk
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2023, 09:17 AM   #28395
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Work travel definitely sucks for most industries. I have relatives that got to do the whole business trip that's really golfing and dinners thing that don't really get that I don't get to tourist around most of the time.

Quote:
Sitting in on management meetings, that is how it's been posed by leadership & HR: one of the major drivers of compensation increase & promotion is in deciding whether it would be a strategic loss to the org if someone left. Are we gonna be fucked if they go? Then give them whatever it takes.
That's where it helps to pay attention to the turnover in your company and the hiring trends in your industry. If all the people who are leaving are quitting, not being fired, and those positions aren't being filled very quickly they probably need you more than you think. As stupid as stuff like LinkedIn is, seeing how quickly old coworkers find a new job or how often you get hit up by recruiters lets you know if there's a shortage or a surplus of people in your industry.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2023, 04:43 AM   #28396

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
15k chanel bag in that mazda 3, and your aldo shoes, lmfao, that shit had me rolling maybe she's into expensive handbags... everything doesn't have to be expensive jk
This is her only nice handbag. Before she carried around a t&t shopping tote so I doubt she’s actually into handbags. She only bought it because all her friends are materialistic girly girls who idolizes handbags and shoes.

Some of them are doing quite well, at least they don’t have a 7k mortgage on their ass. They won’t say it to her directly but I’m pretty sure they all think her bag is fake. If she wasn’t so sad and basically carries around a photocopy of her holt recipt I’d be inclined to agree with her cunty friends.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:57 AM   #28397
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:

them: So as i was saying, volumes are down and thus our bonus for this year will be lowered to only 40% of your salaries.

Me: *looks up* THIS IS A FUCKING OUTRAGE!!!!
You guys get bonuses at the port? Wtf aren’t you gov/crown???!!!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:32 AM   #28398

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
Lol yea what? Gov worker here bonuses? Wr can't even have staff events no matter how small unless I and the rest of Managment pay out of our own pockets.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 12:56 PM   #28399
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Management at the highway levels even in the federal government do get performance bonuses for staying on budget and other things.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #28400

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
we are quasi crown. we are responsible for our own finances.

Incentive plans
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority’s annual executive incentive plan is aligned with the business strategy of the port authority and its business plan; individual incentive payments are determined through a combination of individual performance and corporate performance measured through the corporate scorecard.

The annual incentive opportunity has a target bonus of 40 percent and a maximum of 64 percent of base salary.

best government job is government job that isnt really a government job, but is still a government job.

Porkin's said it the best

Last edited by Badhobz; 10-22-2023 at 01:34 PM.
This post thanked by: