REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #28426
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Imagine your whole career like that. Lol! It’s awesome until it’s not.
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2023, 12:13 PM   #28427
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
After my son was born... I just didn't want to do that anymore. Yes... it's a job that's on track to clear over half a mil between everything. But at the sacrifice of health and family... no thank you.
A boss once said "yes, you'll be flying 3 weeks per month",
"how will I keep a family"
"we all make sacrifices... " * not a single person in the leadership team was married cause 90% of them were divorced... go figure.

and carsncars said it right... I used to skip Cactus club 80 buck meals and go eat Pho and ice coffee for $15 (yes it was 11.99 for large) and you're giving me crap cause chinese no name mom and pop shops... hand written receipt... they think i was shady... for a loudsy $15.. really? My manager opens a bottle of wine that's $300 and you're not questioning nothing.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2023, 03:11 PM   #28428

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Cue malicious compliance you'd think shit this person could easily just eat $80 but he went out of his way to submit a $15 fake receipt, yea must be a liar, denied. Fine I'll be spending to the limit every single time then can't win with these folks.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2023, 03:23 PM   #28429
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Friend works in sales for a big American company

Basically has free reign over expenses when he’s travelling for work as it’s almost always for clients, he doesn’t even have to submit itemized receipts just the transaction lol stick it in an app, automatically approved, carry on lol
Old 10-24-2023, 04:20 PM   #28430
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
I used to be able to claim per diem of $50/day back in the mid 2000s. No receipts. $50 whether you had McCormicks or McDonalds. Oh and breakfast was included in your hotel of course. Just ate cheap and pocketed the difference every day.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2023, 06:00 PM   #28431
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Tell the Viet mom/pop to write you a bill for $80.00 and pay her that much for a bowl. Make the owner's day ... since company don't want the money.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2023, 06:10 PM   #28432

I’m sure it has more to do with procedure and covering their ass than thinking you’re scamming them

For tax purposes a printed receipt with a ID number from cactus is much easier to deal with than a hand written bill that could be from anywhere. Not to say you couldn’t easily scam a more legit looking one but at that point it’s like where are we going with this lol
Old 10-24-2023, 06:21 PM   #28433
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
The thing is, as a big company you're still better off if someones spending their $80 food budget on a $10 six pack of Kokanee and renting big wet asses #24 for $19.95 in their hotel room than spending $80 on pink angeltinis and chicken fingies at cactus club, so leave it be in the name of profits lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #28434
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Imagine your whole career like that. Lol! It’s awesome until it’s not.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 10:22 PM   #28435
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
A boss once said "yes, you'll be flying 3 weeks per month",
"how will I keep a family"
"we all make sacrifices... " * not a single person in the leadership team was married cause 90% of them were divorced... go figure.

and carsncars said it right... I used to skip Cactus club 80 buck meals and go eat Pho and ice coffee for $15 (yes it was 11.99 for large) and you're giving me crap cause chinese no name mom and pop shops... hand written receipt... they think i was shady... for a loudsy $15.. really? My manager opens a bottle of wine that's $300 and you're not questioning nothing.
You were fucking up their budgets lol. They had a good thing going and didn't want you to screw it up.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2023, 11:34 PM   #28436
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Friend works in sales for a big American company

Basically has free reign over expenses when he’s travelling for work as it’s almost always for clients, he doesn’t even have to submit itemized receipts just the transaction lol stick it in an app, automatically approved, carry on lol
It doesn’t need to be a huge enterprise. It’s really about the industry one’s in.

I was in consulting/legal/corporate merger sector and used to have a company card for my trips as I often need to make sure my clients are happy so that they would sign a fat contract. Never had any issues and it was a “whatever it takes” basis.

A client’s wife birthday is coming? I buy a 12k Hermès handbag and my boss wouldn’t blink an eye. And that wouldn’t even come close to top the list. I’ve had several 5 figure dinners with clients. But really I don’t remember much as they were just part of work.

Oh, except one thing!

There’s this chick in charge of dealing with all my expenses (she’d come over to bring the paperwork to sign once she put everything in a neat form.) That’s the one thing I looked forward to when I was back at office. She was smoking hot

Sadly that perk ended when we moved the whole system digital.

Sometimes I wonder if subconsciously, that made me hate the job.

Last edited by Hehe; 10-24-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 06:05 AM   #28437

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
BoC holds rates whew
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 09:50 AM   #28438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

A client’s wife birthday is coming? I buy a 12k Hermès handbag and my boss wouldn’t blink an eye. And that wouldn’t even come close to top the list. I’ve had several 5 figure dinners with clients. But really I don’t remember much as they were just part of work.
A lot of vegas trips for CES, computer stuff all gets written off back in the day. Getting a handbag is another level. Try explaining that to your wife. I swear i bought it for my client's wife LOL. it's for Jenny I swear....

Even gov't are the same... People found ways to fund vacation trips via other means. It's just 'cost of doing business'; even buying client tickets to vegas etc.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:22 PM   #28439

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
A lot of vegas trips for CES, computer stuff all gets written off back in the day. Getting a handbag is another level. Try explaining that to your wife. I swear i bought it for my client's wife LOL. it's for Jenny I swear....

Even gov't are the same... People found ways to fund vacation trips via other means. It's just 'cost of doing business'; even buying client tickets to vegas etc.
Until I moved back to BC, I still used the very same accounting firm that does my old company's taxes after I left my company. They are so good at writing things off it's crazy. I remember in the early days when I got the card from my company. I was always careful about where I use that card as I didn't want to run to a case where I spent the money and finance wouldn't approve it.

Until one day, my boss, who's the head of sales called me into his office and gave me a lesson. "Hehe, your company card's expense is the lowest in our department." At first, I thought that was a compliment. Then he said "but from experience, we see expenses in correlation with performance in our industry. Even though your ratio is not bad, do you think you can do better?"

He then went on to teach me a whole lesson explaining that expenses=investment, blah blah blah... ending it with "you need to do whatever it takes to secure the contracts".

Then my expenses on trip to visit clients were never the same. I probably increased my expenses by 10x+... but was doing like 30x the business in $$$ amount.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:29 PM   #28440

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Derailing this back to Personal finance. Talked about income with a couple of newer friends for the first time this week.

We got on the topic as to how we noticed that 90% people in our social circles seem to be in the top 10%+ of earnings. Then we compared it to this random drop-in co-ed volleyball group we go to and there's still around 80% of them that are top 10% plus of earnings. One thing that was common is that that 99% of them graduated with a degree or red seal.

I'm starting to notice a odd bias in me that everyone I meet or am around makes great money when the census Canada shows that this is clearly not the case. Do you guys think this is because everyone who are professionals and/or high earners tend to stick around their own because that's who they meet through work and social circles? I don't know how to say this without sounding delusional but where are the folks that are in that bottom 50% percentile? Other than folks from highschool + friends siblings, I don't know any.

I'm thinking maybe this is because we live in Vancouver? There's not many younger poor folks here because the barrier to entry is that $1.6-2.6K/month rent/roommate?

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...A41geKCLa_9raA

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 12:39 PM   #28441
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
The last few posts about "writing it off" makes me think of this scene:

My Feedback

Blah™

Last edited by Hakkaboy; 10-25-2023 at 02:06 PM.
Hakkaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:47 PM   #28442
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Derailing this back to Personal finance. Talked about income with a couple of newer friends for the first time this week.

We got on the topic as to how we noticed that 90% people in our social circles seem to be in the top 10%+ of earnings. Then we compared it to this random drop-in co-ed volleyball group we go to and there's still around 80% of them that are top 10% plus of earnings. One thing that was common is that that 99% of them graduated with a degree or red seal.

I'm starting to notice a odd bias in me that everyone I meet or am around makes great money when the census Canada shows that this is clearly not the case. Do you guys think this is because everyone who are professionals and/or high earners tend to stick around their own because that's who they meet through work and social circles? I don't know how to say this without sounding delusional but where are the folks that are in that bottom 50% percentile? Other than folks from highschool + friends siblings, I don't know any.

I'm thinking maybe this is because we live in Vancouver? There's not many younger poor folks here because the barrier to entry is that $1.6-2.6K/month rent/roommate?

People don't like to advertise they're struggling to get by?

You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about what your peers and total strangers make. Seems like a recipe for poor mental health. But that's just me.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #28443
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
The last few posts about "writing it off" makes me think of this scene:

https://youtu.be/aCP27_vquxQ?si=1PN_3qsaF5bEU83Q
Which is really just a re-hash of this. But credit to Schitt's Creek for explaining it.:

This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 01:59 PM   #28444
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:

There's some confirmation bias there.

Only those that are making a good income in this city would be able to afford to do drop in sports. So you are surrounding yourself with those people to begin with.

There's also truth in the fact that like minded people are more likely to hang out and their reinforce each other's good or bad decisions. If 2/10 of the group got nice cars, it's more likely that the rest would follow save for the outlier who either doesn't drive or doesn't care.

To further the point above. My wife and I looked at our friend circles, everyone has a property or co-owns with their spouse/partner. There are no stay at home moms. Even the most worse to do people own a 1bd condo. That's just our circle of friends. The ones that, for a lack of better term, do not conform, ends up drifting away and doing their own thing.

To take it away from finances and towards personal relationships. We found that cheaters (there's always some one you know who is one or in a relationship with one) tends to hang out with friends who think it's no big deal. The ones that get divorced are the same. It is a broad brush but it seems to roughly line up with our observations.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 02:15 PM   #28445

Also I think to expand on that point is that eventually if you are in a drastically different economic situation you naturally drift apart anyways.

I hang out less and less with people who are stretched by their finances because we aren’t really doing the same things, like the drop-in sports etc.

I also feel bad saying oh let’s go golfing etc to some people when I know it’s going to be easy $150-200 which they may not feel comfortable spending.

As childless adults I also feel like we’re actively drifting away from hanging out frequently with some friends with kids because, no offence, I ain’t feeling like having dinner with screaming kids around lol
Old 10-25-2023, 02:40 PM   #28446
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:

Yes. I sometimes shop at Walmart (because they have cheap motor oil that is VW 502 and BMW-LL01 approved) and you definitely see a different side of the population whenever you walk in there.

The lower income people live in the far suburbs, rent basement suites, use food banks, and don't participate in drop-in sports. Lots of people are struggling these days. I know people under the age of 30 don't use Facebook, but any community group on that platform is filled with stories about the challenges around finding reasonably priced rental housing on a daily basis.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 02:46 PM   #28447

Quote:
Do you guys think this is because everyone who are professionals and/or high earners tend to stick around their own because that's who they meet through work and social circles? I don't know how to say this without sounding delusional but where are the folks that are in that bottom 50% percentile? Other than folks from highschool + friends siblings, I don't know any.
You roll within your circle of interests. Will you ever meet someone who works at Starbucks or retail check out Betty at Save On foods... most likely not. 1) they can't for the life hold a conversation, you probably won't stand their topics. 2) they just don't roll at the same places at you. You'll go to find dining and maybe meh.. go to "taste of Vancouver menu in Feb" cause you have been to it all.

They are just happy to netflix and chill and grab a cheap beer at a local brewhall.

You like cars, you meet people who can afford a car and afford to mod. You'll never meet someone or go to a group outing who are Tesla drivers. You also won't meet the Chinese family kid who has 3 Lambos while the dad drives 2 Ferrari. It's just not in the same circle.

Look at cycling, when you start wearing spandex and riding these 5-8k bikes, you start to realize an entire community of people with 4-5 bikes and they are easily 10-15k each. You start rolling within the group + hobbies whom you had no idea existed before.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 03:22 PM   #28448

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Also I think to expand on that point is that eventually if you are in a drastically different economic situation you naturally drift apart anyways.

I hang out less and less with people who are stretched by their finances because we aren’t really doing the same things, like the drop-in sports etc.

I also feel bad saying oh let’s go golfing etc to some people when I know it’s going to be easy $150-200 which they may not feel comfortable spending.
A lot of my thinking is caused by this drift. A lot of old friends in the past year especially from highschool/uni, I don't really see much anymore. Maybe once a year for a bday otherwise it's a have a good life type of situation. Costs are so high now that some of them are trying to save money at all costs aka never do anything. I do host a cheap hotpot at home and cover all the costs to be able to see them every now and then. I find as you get older it gets harder to do things over $20-30 with certain groups because it requires a discussion about whether its worth it or not.

I picked up golf really hard last year and practice 2-5x a week and play about 1-3x a week this summer. If I'm not golfing, I'm doing a drop-in sport. This is farrrr more fun than spending $70-150+ partying on the weekend. I've dropped 30lbs since picking up sports for the first time in my life.

Quote:
Look at cycling, when you start wearing spandex and riding these 5-8k bikes, you start to realize an entire community of people with 4-5 bikes and they are easily 10-15k each. You start rolling within the group + hobbies whom you had no idea existed before.
Ya! it's crazy, once you start a hobby you start to notice everoyne in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Yes. I sometimes shop at Walmart (because they have cheap motor oil that is VW 502 and BMW-LL01 approved) and you definitely see a different side of the population whenever you walk in there.
Ya, Grandville / Metro Walmart, weekday after 10 - 11PM is a crazy change.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 10-25-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2023, 03:27 PM   #28449

Next to maybe hockey, golf is about as expensive as a sport as you can play
Old 10-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #28450
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
This idea goes back as far as the times... my parents regularly complain about how they used to have 2-3 other couples they were friends with and would get together for pizzas in the late 70's early 80's before I was born and that after I was born those couples would call to do the same thing and my parents couldn't go because of me and then they just dropped off. Same shit different era haha.

My dad is super loaded today although he doesn't live like he is... but his best friend from elementary school is kinda broke and they still hang out and go for walks together. Maybe because my dad lives a very humble life they can still get along... they both drive 2003 Toyota Highlanders... actually I think the broke guy drives a 2004 so his is technically newer lol... I'm sure if my dad was rolling around in a Lambo and designer clothes/sunglasses and 3 Rolex's on his wrist with a woman half his age or less on his other arm they wouldn't be friends anymore.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: