REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #28901
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
My son is going to be unemployed in December, the new Skytrain is going to be running through the Langley White Spot so they are shutting the doors but not sure why so prematurely. Even McJobs aren't that easy to come by for high school kids with limited availability.

I could get him a job for the summer working at the Company I work for but I'm not doing that to him, that's what I did and here I am 30+ years later still in this industry lol.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:31 PM   #28902
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Is he old enough to scooter to be a Uber delivery driver?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:32 PM   #28903

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
Does the churches chicken taste any different when it is cooked by pinoys vs Indians?

I haven't gone to churches in a long time, last time I bought with my own $ it was $6.25 for a 3 piece and fries when ordered with a coupon, those were the good days
I think so for sure, it's the attention to quality.

The Pinoys always run a tight ship, food is hot, quality is better.

Every time I pull up to a fast food place fully staff by Indians I know I'm about to get some bullshit cold ass burger looking all fucked up.

I almost started to wonder if it's because the Pinoys actually eat the stuff they're making, where as the Indians likely don't?

It's the customer service as well.

It's just odd the change happened so quickly as of late, I think Alpine is right, the 20 hour work week might be the primary reason, but it's jarring. Even my brown friends complain about it.

This is the kind of stuff what makes people pivot to the right, honestly. Too much change, too quickly.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #28904
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I think so for sure, it's the attention to quality.

The Pinoys always run a tight ship, food is hot, quality is better.

Every time I pull up to a fast food place fully staff by Indians I know I'm about to get some bullshit cold ass burger looking all fucked up.

I almost started to wonder if it's because the Pinoys actually eat the stuff they're making, where as the Indians likely don't?

It's the customer service as well.

It's just odd the change happened so quickly as of late, I think Alpine is right, the 20 hour work week might be the primary reason, but it's jarring. Even my brown friends complain about it.

This is the kind of stuff what makes people pivot to the right, honestly. Too much change, too quickly.
Not a comment on any other group, but I just feel Filipinos, in particular around roles and jobs in hospitality, have pride and give a shit about they do.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:38 PM   #28905
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Not a comment on any other group, but I just feel Filipinos, in particular around roles and jobs in hospitality, have pride and give a shit about they do.
Working at Telus id occasionally go into these care homes, the govt. ones that are dotted around the lower mainland, honestly these places are disgusting and frankly I’d be ashamed if I had a parent etc. that had to go to a place like that but for many there’s no other option I suppose

Anyway, the vast majority of the staff working in those places are Filipino and A) these people should be paid every cent they’re worth and B) broadly speaking all of them I ever met or engaged with were genuinely kind people in EXTREMELY trying circumstances. Literally one of the few groups who probably would be in that situation
Old 11-17-2023, 06:55 PM   #28906

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
That’s why flips are the best. I’ll take those guys over any other race. My own included.

It’s like the hard working Chinaman at 2/3 the size with no attitude and better English.
No elitist bullshit either. They just love their Louis Vuitton
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2023, 07:20 PM   #28907
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,188 Times in 241 Posts
Failed 326 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
That’s why flips are the best. I’ll take those guys over any other race. My own included.

It’s like the hard working Chinaman at 2/3 the size with no attitude and better English.
No elitist bullshit either. They just love their Louis Vuitton
every pinoy guy and most of the girls that I see since I started paying attention in high school, no matter what their financial situation is, they always look super fresh, no one looks like a bum
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2023, 12:08 AM   #28908
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Working at Telus id occasionally go into these care homes, the govt. ones that are dotted around the lower mainland, honestly these places are disgusting and frankly I’d be ashamed if I had a parent etc. that had to go to a place like that but for many there’s no other option I suppose

Anyway, the vast majority of the staff working in those places are Filipino and A) these people should be paid every cent they’re worth and B) broadly speaking all of them I ever met or engaged with were genuinely kind people in EXTREMELY trying circumstances. Literally one of the few groups who probably would be in that situation
I believe that children who share a strong bond with their parents would likely avoid placing them in a care home unless absolutely necessary. I've been through the experience of placing a family member in a care home - in my case due to dementia. As dementia gets worse, it really needs round-the-clock care and specialized attention which can be tough to manage at home. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was the right one.

Bringing it back to real estate – the care home I frequented is seriously outdated and needs a major renovation or a new facility altogether. The unfortunate part is that there's no alternative space for the residents to relocate to during this renovation, and constructing a new facility in the same neighbourhood isn't feasible due to it being fully developed or too costly to acquire. With a growing aging population, it seems inevitable that these challenges will only exacerbate.

Last edited by radeonboy; 11-18-2023 at 01:17 AM.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2023, 05:19 AM   #28909

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Is he old enough to scooter to be a Uber delivery driver?
He can drive, he has a car. I didn't even think about Uber delivery maybe that's an option.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:36 AM   #28910

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
I believe that children who share a strong bond with their parents would likely avoid placing them in a care home unless absolutely necessary. I've been through the experience of placing a family member in a care home - in my case due to dementia. As dementia gets worse, it really needs round-the-clock care and specialized attention which can be tough to manage at home. It wasn't an easy decision, but it was the right one.

Bringing it back to real estate – the care home I frequented is seriously outdated and needs a major renovation or a new facility altogether. The unfortunate part is that there's no alternative space for the residents to relocate to during this renovation, and constructing a new facility in the same neighbourhood isn't feasible due to it being fully developed or too costly to acquire. With a growing aging population, it seems inevitable that these challenges will only exacerbate.
My grandma was a single mother who brought my dad up by herself. She wasn't the best mother but that's all they got for a majority of their life, each other.

We had to send her to a care home after two strokes and she tried to commit suicide. There was no other way as my dad was still working, us the grandkids have all moved out and no one was home during the day to take care of her.

She was sent to the one on Francis between Garden City and No4. That home somehow managed to get enough land around to build a new facility during my grandma's time there.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:56 AM   #28911
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
When I was in training, the Filipino nurses on night shifts were a bright spot of my night float weeks. Reliable, hardworking, compassionate, also friendly and seemed to have fun at work.

One night after running a tough code, I went back to my call room and 5 mins later the nurses paged me and said hey where did you go, you need to have some Queso ice cream with us. Really appreciated that.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:14 AM   #28912

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
My grandma was a single mother who brought my dad up by herself. She wasn't the best mother but that's all they got for a majority of their life, each other.

We had to send her to a care home after two strokes and she tried to commit suicide. There was no other way as my dad was still working, us the grandkids have all moved out and no one was home during the day to take care of her.

She was sent to the one on Francis between Garden City and No4. That home somehow managed to get enough land around to build a new facility during my grandma's time there.
What else is there to be done. To pay for the type of care required for someone like that would be astronomical, especially in any sort of more “comfortable” setting unfortunately
Old 11-18-2023, 11:17 AM   #28913

Thanked 31,911 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Elder care shouldn't be a for profit model. It's really basic healthcare, considering affording an extra room to house an aging relative is now a fantasy.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 12:37 PM   #28914

Send them to the desert !!!! Or in our case the rainforest.

Where did grandma go ? Oh she went to the Forest.

The end.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:39 PM   #28915

Both my parents said kill them before they end up there lol..

You’re not living at that point you’re just waiting to die for the benefit of other people
Old 11-18-2023, 12:45 PM   #28916

My mom’s half bat shit crazy already. Ran away from my dad out of fear of “disease” (dads health isn’t well and he goes to dialysis and has been going for 20 years) and now asking me for money so I buy her a new place.

I said I just bought a house, you want me to take on another 600k just because you’re “scared” ? Yup. So I guess I have to fucking look for a one bedroom insane asylum. Or ship her ass to Shanghai which is only a temporary solution.

Fuck I hate old people
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2023, 02:37 PM   #28917

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
600 is chump change for you like one mc30 + dealer service or one years pay + port strike
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #28918
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Elder care shouldn't be a for profit model. It's really basic healthcare, considering affording an extra room to house an aging relative is now a fantasy.
Non private ones isn't for profit. Just have to be on a waiting list. We put my dad, who has alzheimers/dementia this year and he got into Hamilton Care Center. The fee is 90% of his CPP.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #28919

Thanked 31,911 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Non private ones isn't for profit. Just have to be on a waiting list. We put my dad, who has alzheimers/dementia this year and he got into Hamilton Care Center. The fee is 90% of his CPP.
What's your opinion of it so far? Do they seem well staffed and capable? I know not all are privately owned but a huge majority of them are, and I'm a firm believer that when profits are the motivating factor, that quality of care will often be the first thing to suffer in the name of profits. Most businesses go straight for labour when it comes to increasing their bottom line.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #28920

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
600 is chump change for you like one mc30 + dealer service or one years pay + port strike
I much rather NOT spend that money and be stuck with two pieces of shit properties when these old fucks die. The hell am I gonna do with a 2 bedroom in east van and another 1 bedroom in Richmond.
Capital gains tax on both is gonna rape me

Plus Slum lording is so lame.
Old 11-18-2023, 04:09 PM   #28921

The places I’m talking about the person is sitting in a bed or wheelchair for 16-18 hours a day if not more.

My grandma was in an “assisted living” place in Langley and it was fantastic had a kitchenette but the food was great nice suite great staff etc. but yea it was whatever like $3800 a month or somthing
Old 11-18-2023, 04:40 PM   #28922
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
What's your opinion of it so far? Do they seem well staffed and capable? I know not all are privately owned but a huge majority of them are, and I'm a firm believer that when profits are the motivating factor, that quality of care will often be the first thing to suffer in the name of profits. Most businesses go straight for labor when it comes to increasing their bottom line.
They seem to be well staffed. They do activities to keep the residents moving and such, but man, it's pretty depressing and sad. The majority of them have either no clue what's going on or they're going crazy, yelling and randomly assaulting people. Literally, they're all just waiting for the inevitable. Most of the nurses are actually Pinoy and quite a few young ones, especially male in their 20's. Every time I'm there, the staff is pretty nice and such, and they seem pretty patient with the residents.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2023, 05:14 PM   #28923
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
We settled at one of those care homes along SE Marine Drive and there were talks to rebuild the building the entire time we were there. There's not a lot of suitable land in that area besides the Fraseriew golf course which VCH probably can't touch lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The places I’m talking about the person is sitting in a bed or wheelchair for 16-18 hours a day if not more.
The saddest ones are those that have no visitors and/or no longer have the capacity to speak. Some of these residents have family in the lower mainland, but for whatever reason they don't bother to visit their parents at all. What's clear though is that the residents with regular visitors fare a lot better.

It's not all depressing though - some of these seniors have serious spunk and their dementia allows them to speak freely without any filters. I've had residents hit on me, hit me, or accuse me of being a thief because I'm Asian. Most are pleasant though and mind their own business, and if you're lucky, they're lucid enough to tell you a bit of their past.

Quote:
What's your opinion of it so far? Do they seem well staffed and capable? I know not all are privately owned but a huge majority of them are, and I'm a firm believer that when profits are the motivating factor, that quality of care will often be the first thing to suffer in the name of profits. Most businesses go straight for labour when it comes to increasing their bottom line.
In my case, we actually tried a private facility first thinking we would get better care. Unfortunately, this didn't happen for a variety of reasons, including us encountering practices that seemed more geared towards minimizing staffing requirements for resident check-ins. While private facilities like this can be suitable for a senior who is physically capable, it was an ill-suited environment for someone dealing with dementia in my scenario.

Everyone was much happier when we moved to the gov't facility - the QoL improved drastically since they had programs designed specifically to assist dementia residents. The staffing shortages were (and still is) a big problem, but the level of care was top-notch when we received it. Maybe it also helps to know that the facility isn't there to make money off the residents.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2023, 05:42 PM   #28924
Old School RS

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,229 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I much rather NOT spend that money and be stuck with two pieces of shit properties when these old fucks die. The hell am I gonna do with a 2 bedroom in east van and another 1 bedroom in Richmond.
Capital gains tax on both is gonna rape me

Plus Slum lording is so lame.
If they live in them until they pass away, there is no capital gains consideration since it's their principal residence?

-Mark
Old 11-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #28925
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Just talked to a VPD recruiter today.

He said they are supposed to hire 170 new VPD officers this year and so far they are only at 105. Enrollment has been down for the last few years. Last year they were short 40 new officers.

He said after three years pay is $111k annually +benefits and pension.

When you're a senior member, he said it's pretty common to be making $150k. Then there is so much over time because they're so short.

I didn't realize VPD paid that much. I was pretty shocked. He also said they are short civilians as well. They call those office workers.

Not sure I could be a police officer, but if you can you can make a good buck and lots of overtime.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote