REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:25 PM   #29451
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Anyone have experience fighting with their strata management company?

I'm in a first floor unit and the building is about 13 years old. Since the summer my sink has started to fill up with water, there has been other units near me that backed up and flooded and a plumbing company has been practically living here lately replacing pipes in the parkade, etc.

Plumber comes out, augers the line and tells me there's a block about 8 feet in. Pushes it out and dumps degreaser down. Everything is okay for a few months.

Then the last few months... had to call them in like 4 times for my sink filling up and draining, etc. It's been a nightmare... they said they can't do much, it's a pipe in the parkade full of grease and shit. Eventually they pulled the end caps off the pipe and pulled out a shit tonnes of grease, etc.

Suddenly now my management company is saying I have to pay for the July visit... like 6 months after the fact... saying 8 feet is still inside my unit and it's my fault. The plumbing invoice says "Most likely the fault of tennants" on it.

Well which fuckin tenants? Doesn't say me and tenants could be referring to a general tenants of the building. My sink is like 4 feet away from the vertical pipe that goes down into the parkade which is shared by all 5 floors above mine. It could be anyone. I don't even cook with oil and I don't use my garbeurator. And even if I did, how the fuck is it my problem if the pipe in the parkade is being replaced now becuase it was totally blocked with grease?

The bylaw he quoted says that it's my responsibility to maintain things in my unit.

So far online, I have found several resources saying that ANY drainage of water in the building is considered common property and not the responsibility of owners or tenants.

Anyone else have experience in this vein?
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2024, 03:26 PM   #29452
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I turned down a job with a $20k/year pay increase because it required every day in the office and commuting to a different city.

The 1.5 hours I'd spend every day driving + insurance increase + gas + missing time with my 17.5 year old dog and GF... that $20k is nothing just like that lol...
I'm in the same boat, there's a lot of other jobs that are offering $10-20K more for a lateral move. But they're all hybrid and some only in-office.

The extra 40 to 90 minute drive + gas and the extra 45 minutes to get ready in the morning / wind down when you get home is not worth it.

I've gotten so use to leaving to play sports, see friends, do chores, the moment I finished all my work vs waiting till 5PM to hit. Incentivizes me to start earlier and work way faster than ever. With all this extra energy and time, I can manage to do extra contract jobs to close up the $10-20K+ lost.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:52 PM   #29453
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I think you need an oxford comma there.. but i'm not positive
Typically, an oxford comma isn't needed if there are two objects. Three objects in a list and it becomes grammatically optional; though required under some style guides.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2024, 04:07 PM   #29454
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
I mean 17.5 is old enough for a GF in Canada... and so what if I think she's ugly!!!
UGLY!? FUZZY FACE IS UGLY!!? how dare you sir, HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Typically, an oxford comma isn't needed if there are two objects. Three objects in a list and it becomes grammatically optional; though required under some style guides.
you calling his girlfriend an object?!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:05 PM   #29455

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Subjects removed. HuD’s Homeless. Let’s hope the Z doesn’t breakdown in the next 2 years. lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2024, 06:21 PM   #29456
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
^^ what's the next move?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 06:31 PM   #29457

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Sold all my pride and moving in with the parents lol!

We are tearing down their house, and they are allowing us to build a suitable residents for both of us. They are elderly, we are their secretaries/chauffeurs. They are our daycare. We will soon be their daycare.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 01-04-2024 at 08:07 PM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:09 PM   #29458
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Isn't his example the exact reason why people should always use an Oxford comma though?

Without the comma, he sounds like he's saying his 17.5-year-old dog is his girlfriend, no? This is independent of writing style.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 PM   #29459

Quote:

I'm in a first floor unit and the building is about 13 years old. Since the summer my sink has started to fill up with water, there has been other units near me that backed up and flooded and a plumbing company has been practically living here lately replacing pipes in the parkade, etc.

Plumber comes out, augers the line and tells me there's a block about 8 feet in. Pushes it out and dumps degreaser down. Everything is okay for a few months.

Then the last few months... had to call them in like 4 times for my sink filling up and draining, etc. It's been a nightmare... they said they can't do much, it's a pipe in the parkade full of grease and shit. Eventually they pulled the end caps off the pipe and pulled out a shit tonnes of grease, etc.

Suddenly now my management company is saying I have to pay for the July visit... like 6 months after the fact... saying 8 feet is still inside my unit and it's my fault. The plumbing invoice says "Most likely the fault of tennants" on it.

Well which fuckin tenants? Doesn't say me and tenants could be referring to a general tenants of the building. My sink is like 4 feet away from the vertical pipe that goes down into the parkade which is shared by all 5 floors above mine. It could be anyone. I don't even cook with oil and I don't use my garbeurator. And even if I did, how the fuck is it my problem if the pipe in the parkade is being replaced now becuase it was totally blocked with grease?

The bylaw he quoted says that it's my responsibility to maintain things in my unit.

So far online, I have found several resources saying that ANY drainage of water in the building is considered common property and not the responsibility of owners or tenants.

Curious, how much is the bill?
Old 01-04-2024, 09:49 PM   #29460
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:

1. What does your building bylaws state for responsibility? Find this out first, then proceed further.
2. Only mechanical drawings will show if 8ft is truly inside your unit (or you can use a camera with pin locator) if the 8ft section is a common pipe, but its inside "your unit" this is where building bylaws / law will come into play.

Dont have experience fighting strata, but i do have experience unclogging strata pipes tens/hundreds of times, and 90% of the time its the main stack thats the issue. Poor slope, sagging section, people chucking shit down the drain that they should not (richmond) etc. Result is always the nearest unit that gets clogged.... as it would. (Yours)

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2024, 09:59 PM   #29461
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Curious, how much is the bill?
Not much, $286, but they've been called to my unit like 5 more times in the last month and a bit so I can forsee them trying to say it's all my fault.

And its not so much the $ as standing up for rights.

Property manager has already lied once saying council said to charge me, I asked my friend on council and he said they did no such thing.
Old 01-04-2024, 10:04 PM   #29462
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
1. What does your building bylaws state for responsibility? Find this out first, then proceed further.
2. Only mechanical drawings will show if 8ft is truly inside your unit (or you can use a camera with pin locator) if the 8ft section is a common pipe, but its inside "your unit" this is where building bylaws / law will come into play.

Dont have experience fighting strata, but i do have experience unclogging strata pipes tens/hundreds of times, and 90% of the time its the main stack thats the issue. Poor slope, sagging section, people chucking shit down the drain that they should not (richmond) etc. Result is always the nearest unit that gets clogged.... as it would. (Yours)
I looked up the camera you speak of... $1,000+... do you know where to borrow one from?
Old 01-04-2024, 10:10 PM   #29463
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
I looked up the camera you speak of... $1,000+... do you know where to borrow one from?
Next time your unit is clogged, ask for a plumber with a locator.
Or maybe find some geezer on craigslist services willing to do it for 40$/hr so your not paying a plumbing company 200$ to come out.

Again, i would not bother with the above, until in fact common piping within your walls, are your responsibility as per strata, and even then...

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:13 PM   #29464
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Did you call out to the plumbers directly or the property manager? Defer the bill to strata council and CC the property manager in emails w/ the information that it is a plumbing issue to the parkade plumbing.

imo, only way you'd be forced to pay if you called the plumbing company directly and/or it was an after hours charge

As for the camera, you might be able to rent one at Home Depot or even possibly one of the tools stores (KMS or Summit)
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:26 AM   #29465
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
maybe you can ask for definitive proof that the issue was caused by your unit? or get another plumber to come and assess the situation and write a report that explains that it could be from any other of the units?
even if that costs $300 which is the same as your fine at least it might serve to protect you from future fines whenever the problem comes up again.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2024, 07:46 AM   #29466
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Finding the definition of your unit will be key. Perhaps it's in words and through drawing. For example, your unit is measured from center of the walls and then a drawing outlines your walls.

Anything outside your unit and you may just be able to tell them to piss off.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #29467
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Even if it's inside his unit, it seems absurd to me that a blockage in any stretch of shared pipe between units could be considered one unit's responsibility.
That just boggles my mind if a strata could enact such a non-common sense bylaw like that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2024, 08:44 AM   #29468
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
Did you call out to the plumbers directly or the property manager? Defer the bill to strata council and CC the property manager in emails w/ the information that it is a plumbing issue to the parkade plumbing.

imo, only way you'd be forced to pay if you called the plumbing company directly and/or it was an after hours charge

As for the camera, you might be able to rent one at Home Depot or even possibly one of the tools stores (KMS or Summit)
Not yet, kind of an evolving situation... I posted what I knew at the time... I only just recently realized the property manager lied to me about why the invoice was sent to me.

Then I saw the invoice and the way the plumber worded it leaves a lot to interpretation... nobody seems to be willing to tell me if he meant tenants as in tenants of the building or tenants of my unit (I'm also not a "tenant" I'm an owner)

As mentioned this is nearly 6 months in arrears, that call out was in July... they've been to my unit and disassembling pipes in the parkade to try to fix things like 4 more times since then, 3 around Christmas alone because my sink kept flooding with dirty water that has leafy greens in it as soon as my upstairs neighbour turned on their garbeurator, so they're obviously fucking around up there and causing some of the issue. One of the times the plumbing company also didn't tighten my pipes properly and water started leaking out onto my kitchen floor from under my sink. I had to get in there and tighten it all up myself. Awesome.

I've asked for all the invoices from the plumber with their notes but they're dodging me now and the strata guy isn't writing back to me.

Just a bunch of assholes.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:07 AM   #29469
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Property manager has already lied once saying council said to charge me, I asked my friend on council and he said they did no such thing.
just curious what does the property manager gain from lying? seems like an easy way to get themselves in trouble

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:39 AM   #29470
Performance Moderator

NO idea... I think he was just hoping I'd pay it with no questions.

His exact words were: "The strata council has decided that 8 feet is still within your unit and you are responsible for the bill" but I texted someone I know on the council and he was like.. uh... no?

Even if that was the case though, did they check building schematics? Or just sounds like it probably is 8 feet isn't that far LOL... in my case though, my sink is right next to the nothern most wall of my building... 8 feet by my measurements is already out the horizontal pipe going out of the under-sink area, meets up with the perpendicular pipe that everyone drains into from all 6 floors and then down into the parkade where it turns and goes horizontal again above some poor fucker's Nissan Rogue that go doused with brown spew when they pulled the caps off the pipe a couple weeks back.

Crazy ass people.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:49 AM   #29471
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
"decided that 8' is still within your unit"

that doesn't even make sense, one cannot just arbitrarily "decide" like you said, it must be "determined". let the as-builts determine where the actual delineation is from your unit to the rest of the building.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:54 AM   #29472

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
just curious what does the property manager gain from lying? seems like an easy way to get themselves in trouble
It's probably just a scare tactic to get the owner to pay.

People lie all the time
Old 01-05-2024, 09:55 AM   #29473

Just a note re the initial call out fee.

When we do a service call, the invoice always goes to the party who requests the service call. We would not change the invoicee on work order unless that new invoicee notifies us in writing that they will accept the invoice instead. You can understand the issues that might arise from an initial customer simply saying "Those guys should be paying this bill instead". As the service provider it's not really my reponsibility to figure out whether it's strata or owner who pays the bill.

In your case, I know it's not a large amount, but to protect yourself from any potential creditors or legal issues you might want to pay yourself, and then pursue compensation from your strata. Otherwise, you really need to have them notify the plumbing company they should be the invoicee.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-05-2024, 09:55 AM   #29474
Performance Moderator

It's one of those things where it's kind of funny if you're not in the middle of it... but if everyone is being obtuse it's hard to prove your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Just a note re the initial call out fee.

When we do a service call, the invoice always goes to the party who requests the service call. We would not change the invoicee on work order unless that new invoicee notifies us in writing that they will accept the invoice instead.

In your case, I know it's not a large amount, but to protect yourself from any potential creditors or legal issues you might want to pay yourself, and then pursue compensation from your strata. Otherwise, you really need to have them notify the plumbing company they should be the invoicee.
The invoice is made out to the strata... I made sure to call the management company every time something happened and they made the call to bring a plumber in on my behalf.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2024, 11:26 AM   #29475

In that case I wouldn't sweat that it hasn't been paid, that's on your strata. If something formal comes down the pipe from your strata that says you need to pay, contest it then.

Also I wouldn't get too hung up on the plumber's useage of the word "tenant". He's most likely must misapplying it as a general term to mean "occupant".
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4