REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:01 PM   #29601
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
4K channels on a 1080p TV is where it's at ... .
Advertisement
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:41 PM   #29602
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
4k always gives me a chuckle

People buy 4k tvs, then run a non-premium netflix, disney, whatever capped at 1080.
Those that do buy 4k streaming plan, half those people wear glasses, or havent had their eyes checked in 4 years.

4k tv, 1080p streaming plan, 720p eye sight with glasses, 480p actual eye sight
A 4K TV always displays 4k resolution regardless of the native content, The TV’s processing capabilities to upscale an image can turn shitty SDR content into a beautiful image. Whether you can see it or not is one thing but high end TV’s ultimately look better across the board due to their better processing.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:21 PM   #29603
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,578 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
4k always gives me a chuckle

People buy 4k tvs, then run a non-premium netflix, disney, whatever capped at 1080.
Those that do buy 4k streaming plan, half those people wear glasses, or havent had their eyes checked in 4 years.

4k tv, 1080p streaming plan, 720p eye sight with glasses, 480p actual eye sight
Not me. I buy UHD 4k Blu rays for my fav movies and and download full bitrate 4k HDR dolby Atmos torrents whenever I can.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:42 PM   #29604
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
got some of that private tracker invite?

im so annoyed at streaming services dropping off a cliff in terms of content quality, so thinking of going back (used to dl those 30-40GB bluray remuxes lol)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:27 AM   #29605
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
anyone living in the fraserview area?how is the area?
Lived in Fraserview for 10+ years around 10 years ago and I honestly hated the last bit of it. Seemed like everyone was running basement suites, which made parking at your front door practically impossible. Streets were super narrow, and I parked my car outside occassionally due to convenience, so had my fair share of hit and runs (one of which we caught LOL). But I guess that's what Vancouver living is like nowadays.

I'm happy to be back in Burnaby where the neighbourhood's quiet and detaches are relatively tenant free.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 02:15 AM   #29606
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
thinking of moving because the neighbourhood i'm in currently is starting to get a lot of weirdo walking around.

we actually just had a person high af climb over the gates and onto the property screaming he was on fire and called 911 on himself. happened at 1 in the morning.
I'm in Fraserview right now and mostly as spoon says. I moved here two years ago and honestly I haven't been the happiest.

Fraserview has seen the least gains in terms of land value compared to the rest of east van. With the current city scape the idea that Fraserview is the nicer part of east van and commanding more money no longer holds any water as everything is overshadowed by the fact that east van close to DT and city center. The prices across east van have basically pulled even but you still hear or feel some elitism about living in Fraserview.

From here on out you'll probably see east van gaining roughly at the same pace, if not places like Refrew/Collingwood/Main street areas outpacing Fraserview. Parts of Main Street is already higher if you look at $/sqft I think.

I don't hate it here but I don't love it. But I got a plot of land in Vancouver, so I just wait until it's worth a bajillion dollars
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 06:52 AM   #29607

Thanked 7,578 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

im so annoyed at streaming services dropping off a cliff in terms of content quality, so thinking of going back (used to dl those 30-40GB bluray remuxes lol)
I just do pirate bay
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 07:39 AM   #29608

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:

I still do a bunch of private + stream. DM me

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:39 AM   #29609
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
thinking of moving because the neighbourhood i'm in currently is starting to get a lot of weirdo walking around.

we actually just had a person high af climb over the gates and onto the property screaming he was on fire and called 911 on himself. happened at 1 in the morning.
My grandma lives in Fraserview. Like Badhobz said, it's the nicest area in East Van for sure. The standard lot is 50ft wide and when you walk around it's quiet and very esthetically pleasing.

I walk around with her a lot and it's a very good area, there are a good number of people who walk around that area for exercise. Surprisingly, after dinner to later in the evening there are regulars who walk around. We like walking around Bobolink park, it's very peaceful and there's always kids and families around there, it feels very safe.

There is this one white guy who looks like he's on something, he doesn't scream druggie, but you can tell he's on something, but he doesn't say anything and keeps to himself. We see him regularly walking. I think in any area there is a chance you'll get someone doing shady things if they're on drugs, hard to avoid that.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:49 AM   #29610
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
When we're talking Fraserview do we mean the area around Champlain Mall or the area West of the golf course all the way to Victoria? The former seems pretty nice, the latter seems like it's in the middle of nowhere (though both kinda require you have cars which is not great IMO).
Old 01-10-2024, 09:52 AM   #29611
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,285 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
oh noez white guy in the area call 911 pls bring the SWAT team asap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 09:56 AM   #29612
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Gonna go Treyvon Martin on his ass!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:31 AM   #29613
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Oh man... I can't believe you Killarney boys are dissing your old hood~! I was a Killarney boy myself, and I'd still say Fraserview is one of the nicest neighbourhoods in East Van.

Mind you -- technically, Fraserview has 41st as the northern border, Marine as the southern border, Victoria as the western border, and it only goes up to Vivian in the east. Between Vivian to Tyne is the Killarney area, and then from Tyne to Boundary is kind of the Champlain Heights area. For the most part, I'd say the area around Bobolink Park, around the golf course, and in the Killarney area are the best parts of the what people typically think of as "Fraserview".

As PeanutButter has said, I never feel unsafe in Fraserview. The area is quiet. There are hardly any weirdos around. The quietness and unassuming character might make it boring for some and I get that. To me, it is spacious and comfortable.

One interesting fact about Fraserview is -- the predominant non-English languish being spoken is Cantonese, and that speaks volumes about the demographics of the people that lives there. The markets and restaurants along Victoria reflect this fact, and there are lots of local gems spread all along the edge of Fraserview. It definitely meets my baked porkchop rice requirement too LOL~

One thing to watch out for in Fraserview is -- there are some areas that sit on peat / bogs / swamps -- the area outside of the Killarney Community Center is the most notable one, and I can't possible recommend anyone to buy in that vicinity. I posted this engineering drawing from the CoV back in 2018, but here it is again:

https://yourhometeam.com/assets/uplo...-vancouver.pdf

In some other versions of old peat / swamp maps, I've seen small patches between 54th to 41st that are not shown in the 2003 CoV map. So you wanna do your homework before plunging down your $3M for a home in the area.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 10:39 AM   #29614

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
fraserview is the best. period.

As a guy who grew up around vic and hastings going to my friends house in fraserview was like going to the west side.

OMG you dont have hookers on the corner of elementry schools?
OMG you dont see people passed out drunk in front of 711 and on lok?
OMG you dont have to shoplift playboy/penthouse from londondrugs because you have a thing called money!?!??! FUCK YOU
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:48 AM   #29615
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:

My friend you need to get on the Radarr + Sonarr bandwagon with a Plex server (Synology NASes work great for this). It's like your own streaming service.

I was able to justify the cost of the Synology anyways because family photos are "priceless" and backing up those is important, of course....
Old 01-10-2024, 10:49 AM   #29616
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
it's the sleepy part of east van, some prefer a bit of character/vibrancy like mt pleasant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Lived in Fraserview for 10+ years around 10 years ago and I honestly hated the last bit of it. Seemed like everyone was running basement suites, which made parking at your front door practically impossible. Streets were super narrow, and I parked my car outside occassionally due to convenience, so had my fair share of hit and runs (one of which we caught LOL). But I guess that's what Vancouver living is like nowadays.

I'm happy to be back in Burnaby where the neighbourhood's quiet and detaches are relatively tenant free.
im sure that's coming to your hood in bby as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
My friend you need to get on the Radarr + Sonarr bandwagon with a Plex server (Synology NASes work great for this). It's like your own streaming service.

I was able to justify the cost of the Synology anyways because family photos are "priceless" and backing up those is important, of course....
got a dual-core qnap with nvme that i haven't touched in several years, time to look into this
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:53 AM   #29617

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Oh man... I can't believe you Killarney boys are dissing your old hood~! I was a Killarney boy myself, and I'd still say Fraserview is one of the nicest neighbourhoods in East Van.

Mind you -- technically, Fraserview has 41st as the northern border, Marine as the southern border, Victoria as the western border, and it only goes up to Vivian in the east. Between Vivian to Tyne is the Killarney area, and then from Tyne to Boundary is kind of the Champlain Heights area. For the most part, I'd say the area around Bobolink Park, around the golf course, and in the Killarney area are the best parts of the what people typically think of as "Fraserview".

As PeanutButter has said, I never feel unsafe in Fraserview. The area is quiet. There are hardly any weirdos around. The quietness and unassuming character might make it boring for some and I get that. To me, it is spacious and comfortable.

One interesting fact about Fraserview is -- the predominant non-English languish being spoken is Cantonese, and that speaks volumes about the demographics of the people that lives there. The markets and restaurants along Victoria reflect this fact, and there are lots of local gems spread all along the edge of Fraserview. It definitely meets my baked porkchop rice requirement too LOL~

One thing to watch out for in Fraserview is -- there are some areas that sit on peat / bogs / swamps -- the area outside of the Killarney Community Center is the most notable one, and I can't possible recommend anyone to buy in that vicinity. I posted this engineering drawing from the CoV back in 2018, but here it is again:

https://yourhometeam.com/assets/uplo...-vancouver.pdf

In some other versions of old peat / swamp maps, I've seen small patches between 54th to 41st that are not shown in the 2003 CoV map. So you wanna do your homework before plunging down your $3M for a home in the area.
Killarney is bottom of the school rankings, it's all gone downhill

The realtors have expanded the whole "Fraserview/Killarney" area thing to their benefit and everyone's understanding is now a complete mess. There was a house for sale on Argyle, northwest of 49th/Victoria that they advertised as Killarney. I was like fuck off.

It's a nice area to live for sure, it'll also not change much until most of the older generation dies out and the properties slowly changes hands. But give it 10-15 years Fraserview might be completely unrecognizable because of the zoning changes. All those wide lots are going to become duplex/4plexes as the older generation move to old age homes or die. It's already slowly happening as half the new builds are duplexes.

That peat swamp bit explains why that area north and west of KCC is always a clusterfuck in terms of roads. We are talking about something like a 3 foot decline on the sidewalk right outside Weir. I was riding with my 3 yr old son and he was scared of that dip.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:54 AM   #29618
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post

Whats Radarr and Sonarr? Currently running a Plex server.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:57 AM   #29619
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
According to y'all parameters, I grew up in Fraserview

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2024, 10:58 AM   #29620
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Whats Radarr and Sonarr? Currently running a Plex server.
Sonarr will let you add TV shows you like and it will automatically grab them, rename/sort them, and add to your Plex library when new episodes are released. Radarr is the same but for movies.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:17 PM   #29621

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Killarney was a good school? Back when I went to HS (not that long ago), Killarney is a heat bag / wanna be gangster school lol. Buncha nammers everywhere

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:23 PM   #29622

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Yea Killarney and dt was just Chinese trying to be Vietnamese with their North face jackets at the bus stop in 30 degree weather while I had my AC on in my car.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:33 PM   #29623
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I know! When I first found out about how it has turned into a Bronx school years ago, I was like WTF?! Back in my graduating year, it was right up there hanging with David Thompson and the West Side schools!

But on the schooling front, I am cautiously optimistic. In recent years, there has been a steady influx of HK Canadians returning to the area, and I am hearing a lot more Cantonese being spoken at school pick ups and at community center programs. Generally the parents from these types of families are more focused on academics, and offer more supervision over their kids, so I am 1/2 expecting and 1/2 hoping that things will turn around.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #29624

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Damn! Killarney is that bad haha that will be my kids catchment school, I'm going to assume DT probably isn't too much better.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:41 PM   #29625
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
I was talking to a client today and their mom owns a 12 unit rental building in east van. Their father passed away last year and he was handling all the property management and rent payments. Now that responsibility has fallen onto the older sister whom I was speaking with.

She's pretty stressed. Anyway, her sister and brother want to sell the place as they want nothing to do with it and they don't want to help with the management of the building.

The entire building is paid off, but the average rent there is around $1,200.

I'm just wondering if I were in the situation, what would the options be. I would probably want to keep the building, which means paying out the two siblings. But the cashflow from the building is so low, if I refinanced to pay out the two siblings, I wouldn't be able to support the payments based on that low rent. Which, would make me think, who would buy a rental with such low rents, it wouldn't make sense financially.

She was super emotional telling me this, but I was also thinking, it's a pretty good problem to have. So my sympathy for her was muted.

What would you guys do?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote