REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:45 AM   #30101
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Developer must be one of Ken sims homies.
Building standards? Oh my no. We only have time to hassle poor people.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2024, 09:07 AM   #30102
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I haven't seen much go on even I drove by like last week, I just see it in that tyvek wrap
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:36 AM   #30103
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
We've talked about this a quite a few pages ago when supafamous noticed work has resumed on the 2 buildings. Some questioned the structural integrity of the wood -- including the framing -- that has sat exposed to the elements for something like 3 years. From the colour of the wood, I suspect there will likely be some form of dry/wet rotting at certain places, and I would also not be surprised if there are mold / mildew. None of us want to touch those even if we could have gotten it for cheap lol~

Good luck to the future residents who end up living there...
i'm picturing it looking like the green house next to it in no time

back to the education piece when it was gloom and doom during my time, another interesting thing is i stopped at degree, a classmate went on to masters. he had trouble finding a job b/c entry level engineering jobs wouldn't hire for fear of him leaving (they waste time training him up) b/c he was over educated, but he wasn't educated / experienced enough for positions where the min. education was a masters in engineering, or didn't have his PhD when they wanted one, so it put him in a state of limbo for a while.... it was funny not funny that his masters sort of impeded his job hunt for a bit. sometimes you just can't win.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2024, 11:03 AM   #30104
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
I also noticed that they have restarted work on the 33rd Avenue property. Used to drive past it everyday and it was just sitting there rotting away. Doesn't it need to pass some type of inspection prior to resuming work?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:02 PM   #30105
RabidMod

Thanked 1,349 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
back to the education piece when it was gloom and doom during my time, another interesting thing is i stopped at degree, a classmate went on to masters. he had trouble finding a job b/c entry level engineering jobs wouldn't hire for fear of him leaving (they waste time training him up) b/c he was over educated, but he wasn't educated / experienced enough for positions where the min. education was a masters in engineering, or didn't have his PhD when they wanted one, so it put him in a state of limbo for a while.... it was funny not funny that his masters sort of impeded his job hunt for a bit. sometimes you just can't win.
And that's the reason why co-op is so key now.

Engineering is such a practical discipline that without experience, a kid fresh out of school is basically useless and would need a ton of training (maybe slightly better w/ degreed BCIT grads since at least they offer a more practical curriculum). We need that bridge from the books to the real-world. Something to facilitate connecting the dots so the theory isn't just theoretical.

There's an overwhelming presence of Waterloo grads out here for almost no other reason than that they have a super strong co-op program. It's mandatory for graduation so the kids are all-in, and the school sets them up for success with the internship connections.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:09 PM   #30106
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I also noticed that they have restarted work on the 33rd Avenue property. Used to drive past it everyday and it was just sitting there rotting away. Doesn't it need to pass some type of inspection prior to resuming work?
an inspector will stick a moisture meter into the walls and get a reading, but not much else.

It's not uncommon to build/seal up a building in the winter/rain (personally if i was building a custom home i'd time it so that the framing and sheathing was done spring/summer for sure) As once the exterior cladding is installed, you can run heaters and dehumidifers inside the building to try the internal framing etc. out until it meets the 10 or 15% moisture requirements.

However, that 33rd build sat out in the elements for at least 2 years of constant rain, snow, etc. with no progress. Knowing what we know from basic drive by's, I wouldnt buy there.

I probably mentioned this before as well but air quality testing is all but useless in the PNW because we live in a rain forest. Generally, air quality testing uses the "base line" of outside air, which again, we live in a rain forest filled with mold spores, etc. So unless you're physically seeing black mold growing, it's very unlikely a air quality test would ever show any readings that indicated anything. Also, if you dig deep into how mold actually effects people, a huge portion of the population are actually uneffected by mold

Obviously you dont want a baby sleeping in a room filled with black mold, but for the most part people are hyper sensitivie to shit like mold but they dont actually understand how/if it actually effects them.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:47 PM   #30107
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
OK I remember there were some talks about how hardwood floors should be laid out and staggered in this thread before. I'm about to change to hardwood floors but also have a couple of narrow hallways (4 ft wide) like this one. Should they be staggered or all aligned like in this picture?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Flooring/co...ll_in_hallway/
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:07 PM   #30108

if your boards are running like they are in that picture, just stagger the joints 6 inches or whatever is recommended by the manufacturer

that looks like total ass imo, having those full planks looks terrible lol
Old 02-08-2024, 09:42 PM   #30109
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 148 Times in 30 Posts
Interesting, I'd welcome a change:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/real-est...nada-1.2031892

Quote:
A lawsuit alleging that the real estate brokerage industry inflates commission fees has been expanded to include all of Canada and an expert says it could bring big changes to the housing market.

The class action suit, filed in federal court last month, names 72 different regional real estate boards, 10 real estate franchisors and eight real estate brokerages as defendants.

“The class action is quite substantial and it’s pretty huge,” Walter Melanson, co-founder and market analyst at PropertyGuys.com, told BNN Bloomberg in a Monday interview.

The lawsuit comes after an original suit was filed in federal court in September on behalf of home-sellers in the Greater Toronto Area against the Toronto Regional Real Estate Board (TRREB).

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

The latest price-fixing suit alleges that an unwritten arrangement known as the “buyer brokerage commission rule,” which has become the norm for many residential real estate transactions, violates competition laws.

When a home sale closes, the seller typically pays a broker commission fee, which is a percentage of the entire sale amount. The fee is normally then split between the representatives of the seller and the buyer, and is customarily shared evenly.

This was the case with Milton resident Kevin McFall, the named plaintiff in the class action suit. In the court documents, McFall alleges he sold his home in May and paid a five per cent commission on the sale, half of which went to the buyer brokerage.

The suit claims that this system incentivizes buyer brokerages to direct their clients away from sellers offering lower commission fees, artificially inflating them over time.

“We're talking about rules that drive policies and policies that drive behaviours and behaviours that drive outcomes,” Melanson explained.

Case follows Missouri court decision
The Canadian class action comes on the heels of a similar case in the U.S.

In a precedent-setting October decision, a Missouri court handed down a guilty verdict in a price-fixing lawsuit brought against major U.S. real estate players including the National Association of Realtors and RE/MAX.

The plaintiffs in that case were awarded US$1.8 billion in damages.

“When it comes to Canada, it's the same types of allegations,” Melanson said.

“The lawyers behind this class action are saying that certain rules prevent competition in the buyer brokerage industry, which lead to falsely inflating real estate commissions, so that's really what the focus is.”
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:28 PM   #30110
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
I don't see the reason for residential RE realtors to exist anymore in this age.

The amount of work they do vs. the amount being paid to them is ridiculous.

In commercial RE, it makes sense to have realtors because good CRE realtors go to events and other social gathering shit to approach potential sellers (and hence things for sale). So, as a buyer, you'd want to keep a good relationship with them because that's how good deals come along.

But in residential RE... everyone is looking on MLS already, there should be just a nominal fixed fee to list there and done. Maybe there should be services that sells home prep for MLS listing... but that should be it.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:27 AM   #30111
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
^^ but they offer bj and sex to clients like bad hobz
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:40 AM   #30112
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
stupid spy balloon wouldnt let me hire ..

Last edited by Badhobz; 02-11-2024 at 11:11 PM.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2024, 07:12 AM   #30113
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
there should be just a nominal fixed fee to list there and done. Maybe there should be services that sells home prep for MLS listing... but that should be it.
The fee is 500$, FSBO + MLS package, i tried this out 3 years ago

Knowing what i know now, i would not use FSBO in major cities, its a circlejerk between realtors. Smaller or mid size city i would give it another go

My favorite part of the experience was getting phone calls from dozens of realtors saying they can sell my property 100% if i relist with them.
To which i replied, if your so sure you can sell it, then you should have no problem bringing a buyer, followed by crickets

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:13 AM   #30114
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I think nobody every expected values of homes to be where they're at, so being percentage based is ridiculous when the minimum home value is $1.6M in a city, they should have max out fees at various levels like X amount of $ between $0-1M etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I don't see the reason for residential RE realtors to exist anymore in this age.

The amount of work they do vs. the amount being paid to them is ridiculous.

In commercial RE, it makes sense to have realtors because good CRE realtors go to events and other social gathering shit to approach potential sellers (and hence things for sale). So, as a buyer, you'd want to keep a good relationship with them because that's how good deals come along.

But in residential RE... everyone is looking on MLS already, there should be just a nominal fixed fee to list there and done. Maybe there should be services that sells home prep for MLS listing... but that should be it.
I can only partially agree with this, we all have access to MLS, but they can see stuff on there a lot faster than we can -- ie: my friend who is a realtor sends me stuff and I can type in the code on MLS and I can't see it yet, that matter of hours can be a big difference in a hot market and some of them have ties to developers or ins for pre-sales... it's not really any different than your commercial realtors in that regard.

There's a lot of costs to being a realtor too, the license fee and staging and videos and drones... I went down the path of becoming one at some point but then decided to do a 180... there's a lot of competition and underhandedness as there always is in anything that's such a cash cow.

Vancouver is a weird place to be involved in real estate in any way.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:20 AM   #30115

Your mortgage broker and your realtor can go share a bag in the handicapped stall of Cactus after they did 5 minutes of work for 50k
Old 02-09-2024, 07:44 AM   #30116
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Well like when we sold our farm, our realtor pocketed something like $45-50k I can't remember... did I think he deserved $45k? No, I do not... but at the same time, he did hire someone to come out and take aerials with a drone and he did have a tonne of knowledge we didn't have about possibly buried oil tanks and how to get those scans done and legal liabilities for things on the property... and he showed up when my dad dragged his feet clearing shit out to help move stuff on the last possible day before handover. So he didn't do nothing and got his hands dirty... but to say those 2-3 weeks of on/off showings and the stuff he did do was worth a $45-50k pay day IS ridiculous to me. That's most people's entire year of slavery.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2024, 07:46 AM   #30117

he doesnt take home 45-50k though, remember he has to pay his brokerage usually half of that and then the rest is tax deductible.

its not a great gig if you ask me. Too much dealing with people

Last edited by Badhobz; 02-11-2024 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:53 AM   #30118

All realtors are not created equal which I think causes a lot of the hate of the profession

My wife had a realtor when she bought her first place that actually picked her up and drove her around to showings because she didn’t have a licence, he also was proactively going through listings based on her demands and eliminating showings which probably would have paid him a pretty penny but they weren’t what she was looking for

Of course a seemingly honest guy like that apparently couldn’t make it work here and ended up moving back east lol.

I’ve had mixed experiences but the realtors I have used were “bigger” ones who were pretty great, very communicative, they did the showings themselves and only passed the listing onto their peons or partners once the sale had been finalized.

I think the system as a whole is stupid though as at this stage of the internet, glut of photographers, stagers, etc. you don’t really need a realtor to be your project manager for a sale. For the most part people know what a house is worth with a tiny bit of research.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:02 AM   #30119

So our place sold with one of the "big" chinese realtors. Shes actually pretty good. She sent her assistant to do most of the showings but even the assistant was pretty decent and ultimately got us a decent price we wanted.

Throughout the process, she was pretty communicative and we relied on her connections to builders/developers as we were hoping to sell to them instead of your joe shmoe (who would then nickel and dime us on the house inspection bitching about how a 40+ year old house is 40+ year old and requiring money off here and there)

I think she was worth the $ we gave her. She gave me a huge fruit basket as thanks

Last edited by Badhobz; 02-11-2024 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:14 AM   #30120
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
i enjoyed eating her lychees
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-09-2024, 08:35 AM   #30121

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

I can only partially agree with this, we all have access to MLS, but they can see stuff on there a lot faster than we can -- ie: my friend who is a realtor sends me stuff and I can type in the code on MLS and I can't see it yet, that matter of hours can be a big difference in a hot market and some of them have ties to developers or ins for pre-sales... it's not really any different than your commercial realtors in that regard.
You can technically release the MLS to the public so we can all have access to the faster system.

But most realtors will block this and gatekeep the industry. My friend who runs a brokerage once said why would we ever let you gets have access to everything and we lose our $300-500K+/year job

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2024, 08:52 AM   #30122
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
I don't know a lot about the industry, but wouldn't you just use that '1% realty' company?
Old 02-09-2024, 08:58 AM   #30123
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
So our place sold with one of the "big" chinese realtors. Shes actually pretty good. She sent her assistant to do most of the "showings" [snipped]

Throughout the process, she was pretty communicative [snipped]

I think she was worth the $ we gave her. [snipped] i enjoyed eating her lychees
Based on my interpretation of what you have said, I am not surprised you think your realtor was worth the $$$ you gave her.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2024, 09:03 AM   #30124

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I think nobody every expected values of homes to be where they're at, so being percentage based is ridiculous when the minimum home value is $1.6M in a city, they should have max out fees at various levels like X amount of $ between $0-1M etc.

There's a lot of costs to being a realtor too, the license fee and staging and videos and drones... I went down the path of becoming one at some point but then decided to do a 180... there's a lot of competition and underhandedness as there always is in anything that's such a cash cow.

Vancouver is a weird place to be involved in real estate in any way.
It's got nothing to do with how much the deal is worth.

In CRE deals, often 10M+ or even 100M+, the commission is still there. But for sellers, the agent would really go out of their ways to find the right buyers. And for buyers, their agent would invest in stuff that find them the deals they want.

It's about actively going after people (landlords, people in business either struggling or succeeding) to make deals happen before there's an interest to buy/sell.

They earn their commission because they have the right connection to it.

It's not... "client's looking for a place in this area, let's open MLS and see what's available"

Worse yet... if a buyer agent sees that it's a FSBO, some choose to skip those listings or make a negative spin out of it. That's fucked up.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:28 AM   #30125
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
he doesnt take home 45-50k though, remember he has to pay his brokerage usually half of that and then the rest is tax deductible.

its not a great gig if you ask me. Too much dealing with people and you gotta suck a lot of dick both metaphorically and physically
It's also seems like a line of work where you're always "on". Evenings, weekends, clients don't care.

Some people like that. It's not for me. (I mean, sometimes working evenings & weekends in my line of work happens, but it's an exception, not the norm)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote