REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:34 AM   #30676
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
I'm currently in the process of planning to build a LWH (with the new bylaws, I'm able to build ~1560sqft LWH in Vancouver) and I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with some of these builders:

https://www.bricklaneproperties.ca/
https://smallworks.ca/
https://www.lanefab.com/
Licon Construction
https://www.tenet.builders/

The quotes I've received so far have been all over the place. Also looking for any tips regarding LWH construction... it's been quite daunting to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I'm chatted with Bryn at Lanefab a few times and he's fairly well known in housing circles with a good rep - I was hoping that if I had gotten land to build on that I would have used him as I had interest in building it as a passive house. Bryn was also a consultant with the City of Burnaby in forming their laneway policy so he knows the ins and outs of laneways really well.

Smallworks also has a great rep in the community for their work and between them and Lanefab they are generally considered the experts in laneways - they know how to navigate the bureaucracy of building a laneway really well and also know how to get the most out of the design of a laneway.

If you're planning to live long term in the laneway (vs renting) then you can't go wrong with either of those two.
Well said, Supafamous summed it up pretty well.

I first approached Lanefab when I was looking into building my laneway home, Bryn was extremely thorough explaining the process. Unfortunately it was beyond my budget.

I tried giving Small works a shot, same ordeal, excellent in breaking down the details, but it was still out of my budget.

With a budget of $400,000, had to resort to a Chinese developer.

https://www.prosperoussquare.com/s-projects-basic

You can see some of the photos of my home there.

The over all build quality was you pay for what you get. In car terms, it looks decent from 10 feet away but once you get a closer look, it's an OCD nightmare.

When considering building your 1560sqft laneway house, try to future proof it as much as possible.

Building permits takes about 6 to 8 months.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 08:44 AM   #30677
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,186 Times in 1,970 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
I was blown away by how much gas went up. When I left to Thailand a month ago, we were sitting at $1.60ish per liter.

I came back last week to $2.03 per liter. How did it jump 30ish cents in the span of a month? What economic reasoning? The carbon tax goes up a few cents starting April, what explains the rest?

"Summer blends"?

Like what in the actual fuck, I was blown away. If we're already hitting $2 in March, what will July look like?

This country is fucking bonkers.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 10:10 AM   #30678

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
I'm surprised it took this long, $2 will be the norm soon before summer price hikes
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:01 AM   #30679
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
goodbye $1.50 PSL blend!

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:48 AM   #30680
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
This Province is bonkers for having the highest gas prices in Canada.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 12:16 PM   #30681
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I was blown away by how much gas went up. When I left to Thailand a month ago, we were sitting at $1.60ish per liter.

I came back last week to $2.03 per liter. How did it jump 30ish cents in the span of a month? What economic reasoning? The carbon tax goes up a few cents starting April, what explains the rest?

"Summer blends"?

Like what in the actual fuck, I was blown away. If we're already hitting $2 in March, what will July look like?

ItS TruDeaUs FauLT.
Oil companies know road trip season is coming, might as well prime us for it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:39 PM   #30682
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,828 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Well it certainly is some sort of politicians fault when Ontario is 30-50 cents cheaper.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:54 PM   #30683
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
This Province is bonkers for having the highest gas prices in Canada.
Highest prices for really, almost anything here yet here we all are.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 01:02 PM   #30684
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Well it certainly is some sort of politicians fault when Ontario is 30-50 cents cheaper.
In terms of the actual amount of money you end up spending on gas though, I feel like the difference is much smaller than what the per litre gas price might suggest.

The thing is, in Toronto, you drive a LOT more -- further distances, longer time, etc. At the end of the day, Vancouver is geographically much smaller than the GTA. I obviously can't do an apple-to-apple comparison since I don't simultaneous live in both places. But that has always been the impression I had when I was living in Ontario.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:20 PM   #30685
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
I wonder if EV has affected any of the O&G top line revenue or bottom line.

It appears it has not.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:29 PM   #30686
private modder

Thanked 2,766 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In terms of the actual amount of money you end up spending on gas though, I feel like the difference is much smaller than what the per litre gas price might suggest.

The thing is, in Toronto, you drive a LOT more -- further distances, longer time, etc. At the end of the day, Vancouver is geographically much smaller than the GTA. I obviously can't do an apple-to-apple comparison since I don't simultaneous live in both places. But that has always been the impression I had when I was living in Ontario.
If you compare say Mississauga, Etobiboke or Scarborough to downtown Toronto, that's anywhere from say 15 - 30 kms. Roughly the same as Richmond or Port Moody to downtown, and everywhere in between.

Main difference with Toronto is the population is much higher, so traffic is that much worse, so you spend more time commuting the same distance. So yes, maybe you are using more gas, but sitting in traffic. At least that's how I saw it.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:44 PM   #30687
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,278 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
We never talk about distance as the metric. It's time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 01:45 PM   #30688
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,572 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
didn't JT want to increase the carbon tax and everyone is pleading him to not do it?
if it goes through won't it increase gas prices even more?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:13 PM   #30689
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,654 Times in 571 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Well said, Supafamous summed it up pretty well.

I first approached Lanefab when I was looking into building my laneway home, Bryn was extremely thorough explaining the process. Unfortunately it was beyond my budget.

I tried giving Small works a shot, same ordeal, excellent in breaking down the details, but it was still out of my budget.

With a budget of $400,000, had to resort to a Chinese developer.

https://www.prosperoussquare.com/s-projects-basic

You can see some of the photos of my home there.

The over all build quality was you pay for what you get. In car terms, it looks decent from 10 feet away but once you get a closer look, it's an OCD nightmare.

When considering building your 1560sqft laneway house, try to future proof it as much as possible.

Building permits takes about 6 to 8 months.
Yeah LaneFab and Smallworks are the OG builders involved with the whole LWH push in the first place, they command a hefty price and people will pay it.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:17 PM   #30690
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
didn't JT want to increase the carbon tax and everyone is pleading him to not do it?
if it goes through won't it increase gas prices even more?
I could totally be wrong about this, so I'd welcome RS to correct me if I am understanding the carbon tax wrong.

Assuming that my understanding is correct, the Canadian carbon tax is supposed to be revenue neutral. You pay the carbon tax on things that are deemed to pollute / has a carbon footprint, and you get that money back from carbon tax rebates. Turd and Libs are constantly saying that based on their estimates, 80% of Canadians receive more money from carbon tax rebates than the amount of carbon tax they pay.

This is exactly the reason why Eby recently called PeePee's anti-carbon tax rhetoric a baloney factory, because BC would receive less money from the feds if the carbon tax is scrapped.

I feel like most people who opposed to the carbon tax do so because they don't have any actual clue as to how it works. All they hear is the "tax" buzzword, and they automatically think it is bad. But of course you never hear them mention collecting the carbon tax rebate.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 02:36 PM   #30691
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 15 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
You pay the carbon tax on things that are deemed to pollute / has a carbon footprint, and you get that money back from carbon tax rebates. Turd and Libs are constantly saying that based on their estimates, 80% of Canadians receive more money from carbon tax rebates than the amount of carbon tax they pay.
BC Climate action tax rebate has a threshold of $83,695 for a married couple. An ordinary couple (not even middle class by definition) would never get any of the rebate.
yoursyumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 02:39 PM   #30692
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Removing the carbon tax hill not make gas cheaper. gas companies will just pocket the difference. 14.31 cents is what we pay in carbon tax in BC. Even if they got rid of it the price of fuel would be more than what is was last month.

Oil/Gas companies in Canada are moved away from retail gas. Shell in the US is selling 1000 stations in the next 2 years. A lot of these gas stations are being bought by immigrants.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:41 PM   #30693

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
But why have a tax in the first place, how many cra, bc gov paper pushers did you hire, have to pay, envelope, materials to print cheques, complaints, postage did you waste creating essentially something that does nothing. Bc carbon tax is separately from federal so it's also ndps fault on making this cash grab.

How about we create a hobo tax, then just give them money back every month like we already are with welfare

Where's my used car, house PST tax rebate, my alcohol tax rebate
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-19-2024, 03:07 PM   #30694
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
ItS TruDeaUs FauLT.
Oil companies know road trip season is coming, might as well prime us for it.
Additionally, it seems that people in BC are accustomed to enduring high gas prices without significant protest. Despite the frequent spikes in prices, there are no mass demonstrations, minimal shifts towards public transit, and few consequences for local politicians.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 03:12 PM   #30695

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Looking for some input on this situation please.

Lily bought a condo for $440,000
Lily put $70,000 down payment
Lily's mother added $20,000 for the down payment

Lily moved in with boyfriend (Mike) and is now common-law with him and has two children together.

Lily just sold the condo today for $749,000.

Lily and Mike refinanced and there is $521,000 currently left on the mortgage.

What would be a fair way to split the gains.

I was thinking $749,000-$521,000 = $228,000 left in cash.
Give Lily back $70,000 for down payment
Give back Lily's mom $20,000 for down payment

$228,000 - $70,000 - $20,000 = $138,000

Put $138,000 into Lily and Mike's Joint account.

Does that seem fair?

Lily likes my idea above, but Mike thinks all of the proceeds should be going into their joint account.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:12 PM   #30696
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,828 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
But why have a tax in the first place, how many cra, bc gov paper pushers did you hire, have to pay, envelope, materials to print cheques, complaints, postage did you waste creating essentially something that does nothing. Bc carbon tax is separately from federal so it's also ndps fault on making this cash grab.

How about we create a hobo tax, then just give them money back every month like we already are with welfare

Where's my used car, house PST tax rebate, my alcohol tax rebate
Yea.. the question is.. why do you need a tax where “80% of people get money back” at all..

As per Harvey’s post above, I say quadruple the tax, doesn’t really affect me too much as we’ve cut our driving down to almost half of what it was 3 years ago. Maybe when people who spend all days in their cars commuting or driving their kids around can no longer afford to, somthing might happen.

The end result is always the same, less money in your pockets.

At this point how can anyone possibly believe anything Trudeau spews out
Old 03-19-2024, 03:15 PM   #30697

Thanked 4,709 Times in 1,581 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Shell in the US is selling 1000 stations in the next 2 years. A lot of these gas stations are being bought by immigrants.
Is this why both the Shell's in Blaine are now the green dinosaur?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:16 PM   #30698

Thanked 4,709 Times in 1,581 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Looking for some input on this situation please.

Lily bought a condo for $440,000
Lily put $70,000 down payment
Lily's mother added $20,000 for the down payment

Lily moved in with boyfriend (Mike) and is now common-law with him and has two children together.

Lily just sold the condo today for $749,000.

Lily and Mike refinanced and there is $521,000 currently left on the mortgage.

What would be a fair way to split the gains.

I was thinking $749,000-$521,000 = $228,000 left in cash.
Give Lily back $70,000 for down payment
Give back Lily's mom $20,000 for down payment

$228,000 - $70,000 - $20,000 = $138,000

Put $138,000 into Lily and Mike's Joint account.

Does that seem fair?

Lily likes my idea above, but Mike thinks all of the proceeds should be going into their joint account.
Why do you always get involved in your clients'/friends affairs LOL

Aren't you a PT or in that field?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2024, 03:20 PM   #30699

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Why do you always get involved in your clients'/friends affairs LOL

Aren't you a PT or in that field?
This one is actually a close friend. I'm known in my circle of friends as the finance/investment guy. For some strange reason, people think my opinion matters (they're crazy, I know). So people always come to for advice. It's my cross to bear... and in turn RS' cross to bear because I don't know what I'm doing half the time and need help. RS is my therapist, life coach, consigliere, etc.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:22 PM   #30700
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Is this why both the Shell's in Blaine are now the green dinosaur?
Yes, Sinclair took over the Shell in WA state.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote