REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:42 AM   #30951
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
We're a family of 3 and been looking for a detached home in North Van for a few months now. Our budget is entry level so, so that means $1.5 - $1.8. To have a chance, your offer needs to be subject-free.

And for that money, you get is a 50+ year old house that has never been updated, with tiny bathrooms, tiny closets, no master ensuite, single pane windows, and no garage. If you're lucky, a carport.

And yet, here we are. We've put offers now on a few places and lost out each time. It's literally every penny we have. Cash. Stocks. All of it. It also assumes we'll be able to sell our condo above a certain amount, once the time comes to list it.

Once we buy the house, we'll be starting all over building our savings. We're really not used to that, we've always had enough disposable income to do whatever we wanted without stress. Now it will all go into the house. The hope is we'll eventually be able to renovate and update it, but not for a long time. Maybe 24 months away.

Yes, there are less expensive areas around, but we love it on the North Shore, my family is close by, our kid goes to daycare here, etc etc. It's our home.

It's mind boggling. What a world we live in.
we did the same thing, nuked literally every bit of savings we had except rrsps. all stocks, savings, everything gone. also had to borrow a bit from my parents for bathroom renos. honestly i don't regret it one bit... having a detached house is a totally different level of freedom than a TH or condo. having a property line that you can do whatever the f you want in is seriously liberating.
Advertisement
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2024, 08:52 AM   #30952
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Work hard your whole life, actually exceed your life goals, save up substantial capital to buy a home you would have never thought you’d have 10-15 years ago, and now use that sweat and hardship to buy some 50 year old dump and “settle” for a half ass housing situation you’ll never pay off.

Canadurrrr

So many people here seem to be in the same situation. You’ve actually killed it at life, people who graduated high school in the early 2000’s or later would have never dreamt of having millions of dollars in assets or grinding for a 200-300k per year job, you’ve exceeded all expectations and killed it.

And now you’re living worse than people who made a quarter of what you’re making 25 years ago.

I mean... it's just Vancouver/some parts of BC/Toronto isn't it? Not Canada as a whole.

Same thign in USA... Boston recently overtook San Fran as the 2nd most expensive place to live I believe... so you want to live in New York, Boston or Bay Area or even Los Angeles, you're going to be a different version of what success looks like than the guy in a suburb of San Antonio with a 4 car garage mansion he picked up for $450k.

That's not a "USA" problem... it's a people's wants and desires problem with a sprinkle of not enough protection of land purchases from foreign investment.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:07 AM   #30953
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
I appreciate everyone's comments and I fully expected all of it.

Oh you're moaning.

Move further away.

It will destroy your relationship.

I think for us, the truth is we love where we live, and when we envision our forever home and where we want to raise our kid, it's North Van.

And if that means sacrifices, so be it.

I guess I just never imagined HOW MUCH had to be sacrificed haha.

Maybe it's the right decision. Maybe the wrong one. Time will tell.

I do know we'll both be a lot happier with our own 4 walls and our own backyard in a neighbourhood we feel good about.

Anything less will feel like we "settled" and that's something both my wife and I always said we'd never do.

But you're right. Yes, we COULD move further away. Yes we COULD get a townhouse instead.

But this is what feels right to us. I just never imagined how much money "right" costs
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:24 AM   #30954
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I mean... it's just Vancouver/some parts of BC/Toronto isn't it? Not Canada as a whole.
I do a routine quick search looking at N.Van / Squamish / Coquitlam / Burnaby / Richmond / Delta / Some surrey.

It seems like there's not many amazing homes for $1.5-1.8M.

Someone please post some nice one's so I know which area to look in. But to my knowledge it's mostly older homes at that price range no matter where we go.

Decent homes were in Langley / Chilliwack but they were tiny for suburb standards.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:25 AM   #30955
Performance Moderator

Have you considered going somewhere else that's profitable, ie: Ladner or Tsawwassen and living there for like a few years and then making a % gain there that couldn't be attained elsewhere and then going back to North Van for your forever home.

I do hear what you're saying, but at the same time if there's nothing available and everything is sold fast with no inspections at above your budget... that isn't going to change?
Old 04-11-2024, 09:30 AM   #30956
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Have you considered going somewhere else that's profitable, ie: Ladner or Tsawwassen and living there for like a few years and then making a % gain there that couldn't be attained elsewhere and then going back to North Van for your forever home.

I do hear what you're saying, but at the same time if there's nothing available and everything is sold fast with no inspections at above your budget... that isn't going to change?
By the time interest rates go back down, the net gain of a property outside of the North Shore probably won’t even make up the difference to get back into North Van
Old 04-11-2024, 09:31 AM   #30957
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I do a routine quick search looking at N.Van / Squamish / Coquitlam / Burnaby / Richmond / Delta / Some surrey.

It seems like there's not many amazing homes for $1.5-1.8M.

Someone please post some nice one's so I know which area to look in. But to my knowledge it's mostly older homes at that price range no matter where we go.

Decent homes were in Langley / Chilliwack but they were tiny for suburb standards.
I mean, I don't know what your definition of "amazing" is, and I only ever looked in Tsawwassen area myself / sometimes Lander, but there's plenty of places in that range these are all in Tsawwassen:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ta-place-delta

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ace-tsawwassen

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ee-drive-delta

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...3-avenue-delta

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...6-street-delta

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...a-street-delta

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...crescent-delta

If you want something between $1.1 to 1.4 that's where the pickings are extremely slim and there's almost nothing available or it needs major work... and some newer/larger townhouses creep up into that range let alone detached. THere's at least 2 in the above homes that I would snap up immediately as a super nice place to live if I was in that price bracket... the first link is an absolutely fantastic home... and the 3rd link at walalee drive one is a really nice place if not a little bit too blue and it's been relisted like twice now so you can problaly offer below ask.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:36 AM   #30958
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
All the realtor fees and taxes would hurt pretty badly trying to jump around short term on properties that expensive too.

Quote:
Without changes I'm guessing it might be wider spread in another decade or so as the people priced out of those areas in turn price other people out of other areas.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 09:38 AM   #30959
Performance Moderator

Unfortunately the culture has shifted people came from abroad with different ideals than your average Canadian about land being the biggest and best form of investment there is... and they turned it into a circus here... but now all the Canadians are also developing that mindset and trying to do the same thing... so it's just getting worse and worse as people with money buy up multiple properties to try and cash in on the same "homes are investments" mentality.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:41 AM   #30960
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Yeah those listings in Ladner are perfect. If you choose to spend more to live elsewhere that’s your choice but I really like those. I could have traded my crap shack in Richmond for one of these and come out quite far ahead. She just has to suffer the drive and that’s not worth to her.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:41 AM   #30961
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I have relatives who complained about the price of the place they bought compared to what I paid for mine 10 years ago, while they're currently sitting with 3 rental properties and trying to buy more.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2024, 10:00 AM   #30962
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
I mean, I don't know what your definition of "amazing" is, and I only ever looked in Tsawwassen area myself / sometimes Lander, but there's plenty of places in that range these are all in Tsawwassen:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ta-place-delta

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...a-street-delta

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...crescent-delta
I'd consider the above "amazing" or nice.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ace-tsawwassen

If I had to pay $8K / month + $300K Down for this, I'd be pretty depressed. I think that's why people would rather get something for < $3-5K/month in Calgary, build a rental portfolio in different cities and stock away into ETFs.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:09 AM   #30963
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the culture has shifted people came from abroad with different ideals than your average Canadian about land being the biggest and best form of investment there is... and they turned it into a circus here... but now all the Canadians are also developing that mindset and trying to do the same thing... so it's just getting worse and worse as people with money buy up multiple properties to try and cash in on the same "homes are investments" mentality.
I know it’s obviously different from person to person but I have a few friends who’s parents/step parents are KINDA “old money” or are very wealthy from business in the 60’s/70’s/80’s. Some own incredible waterfront homes in west van etc.

Outside of purchasing vacation properties, every single one of them never even considered just hoarding property as any sort of investment tool, as until recently, (last 20 years or so) it was a terrible return for your wealthy individual

Then the money laundering came along and homes became commodified as a tangible asset when your cash was at risk, and that was the end for the vast majority of people.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:32 AM   #30964
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Depending on the winds, ladner smells like fertilizer or compost from the landfill by boundary airport + tons of bugs from the marsh.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:38 AM   #30965
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Feds just announced that mortgage amortization can now be 30 yrs for 1st time home buyer ...their attempt to help. I guess it can't hurt, means you can have a slightly higher mortgage? But as income increases for owner through the yrs, most want to pay it down asap.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:47 AM   #30966
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
^ just head that too. so yeah... lock it in for 30 years!!!!! PLEASE do so.. at 7.2% right now.. that's going to be EPIC LOL. Why didn't they offer this to us at 2.25% back 2007 or 2011
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:48 AM   #30967
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I know it’s obviously different from person to person but I have a few friends who’s parents/step parents are KINDA “old money” or are very wealthy from business in the 60’s/70’s/80’s. Some own incredible waterfront homes in west van etc.

Outside of purchasing vacation properties, every single one of them never even considered just hoarding property as any sort of investment tool, as until recently, (last 20 years or so) it was a terrible return for your wealthy individual

Then the money laundering came along and homes became commodified as a tangible asset when your cash was at risk, and that was the end for the vast majority of people.
I didn't grow up around many rich people, but I did grow up with tonnes of HK friends in the first wave of "Ahh China is taking over" immigration in the late 80's... and my Dad ended up becoming extremely wealthy, but up until just like 2 years ago when he is now 75 years old he never ever considered owning a 2nd property... too much trouble, not worth it, who wants the hassle and headache, just costs money, risk... etc etc etc

Meanwhile ALL my HK friends their parents were buying up places if they had any extra and they also have that mentality as well.

It's funny cuz NOW my dad is suddenly all interested... after he sold our family farm and how much it increased / tripled in price basically from 2010 until 2023... he wants to do it but his age has left him with no energy to be bothered and he quite correctly assumes that even if he did bother, he's gonna be long dead before anything is realized from it.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:49 AM   #30968
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
how's ladner's flood mgmt? is on par with rmd? has it ever been like abbotsford few years ago?

sandwiched btw richmond for markets/food and pt bob for pkgs also ever slightly more sunshine makes it seem like a great spot

flight school path usually away from residential areas?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:00 AM   #30969
Performance Moderator

I think almost all of Ladner and the beachy side of Tsawwassen are at risk of flood. They're at or just below sea level, but it hasn't happened like it did in Abby, this area is not a mountain-fed river... Boundary Bay and ocean.

I have usually looked mostly on the west side of 56 St in Tsawwassen because it's all rocky and significantly elevated.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2024, 11:04 AM   #30970
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
My parents were never in a position to afford secondary real estate property
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:00 PM   #30971
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Oooo 30y amortization for cmhc and $60000 hbp now

Money machine goes burrrrrr

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-t...omes-1.2057988
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:14 PM   #30972
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I think Ladner is prone to localized flooding, but I can't imagine how it could be as bad as what happened in Abbotsford. Abbotsford's circumstances were very different because it had a whole bunch of factors stacked against it:

- the worst flooded areas were a drained lake
- multiple unrelenting atmospheric rivers came down to hit the region
- the nearby Sumas and Nooksack rivers overflowed and poured water back into the drained lake

Then again, if an earthquake-induced tsunami were to hit the PNW, Ladner would likely see more flood damage than Abby would.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:21 PM   #30973
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Just talked to a lady at my sons pre-school. her sister-in-law just sold their house for $1.9M and moved to Calgary and bought a new place for $900k, it's a huge house almost brand new. The sister-in-law has baby three on the way and they just felt like it was time.

Not sure if you can ever get over the family and friends thing, but I think they will be sitting pretty until they retire.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:33 PM   #30974
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Oooo 30y amortization for cmhc and $60000 hbp now
Compared to a 25 yrs amortization period, how much more money will the bank lend you with a 30 yrs amortization period though?

Even now, a $100k salary on a 25 yrs mortgage can only get you a ~$400k mortgage. Even if I were to just linearly extrapolate the amount (which is almost certainly NOT how the bank would do), you are still only looking at $480k. Throw a second $100k earner into the picture, and maybe you can qualify for $1M over 30 years, instead of $800k over 25 years?

It'll certainly help a certain number of people, but it'd still seem like a drop in the bucket when Vancouver and Toronto prices are so high.

The higher RRSP withdrawl allowance also doesn't seem that useful to me. $60k is still very little money when the end goal is to purchase some sort of RE property. And as far as RRSP is concerned, building up a $60k RRSP buffer is also no easy feat. So how many first time home buyers could actually benefit from this policy change?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:32 PM   #30975
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Well you need dp, if you want to buy anything, so you might as well take that gift from parents and throw it into rsp to get that tax discount. You will get laughed out of the bank if you have less than $100k dp in Vancouver anyways.

What are you gonna do? make $150k but put $25000 down on $500k and chmc the rest? Most people have income that can borrow should have more than $60000 in dp.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: