REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-17-2024, 10:46 AM   #31826
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
If we wants to rent next spring to fellow Revscene’s plus family we are looking. Finding a whole house (my family of 4 plus parents) is rough. Renting while we build est. 1 year.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2024, 10:47 AM   #31827
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
"Best time to buy a house was yesterday"

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2024, 10:54 AM   #31828
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
Can he even afford a $11000 mtg?! $1.8m mtg at 7.2% stress test, 30y is $12220 a month + housing expense. That's $350k annual income
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:07 AM   #31829
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,523 Times in 2,630 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
In your Uncle's case, I think the most sensible apporach is to take out a mortgage on his current (6 bedroom) home, and use those funds to fully purchase the Kitsilano half duplex. And then with the old home as rental property, the interest on mortgage payments can be written off as business expense to offset the rental income.

Going this route should also result in him needing to come up with the least amount of money upfront as well. But even then, he would still need to have an income large enough to support/service the mortage that he takes out, and that is not an easy thing to do. Since the house has not been rented out yet, the bank wouldn't count the rental income in determining how much money they would lend to your uncle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
If you can afford it, do you guys think it's always better to buy real estate in Vancouver (even in this climate)?

One of my uncles has a six bedroom house that him and his wife life in. Their two sons have moved out, they both have their own families and places in Vancouver.

He's thinking about moving to Kitsilano. His idea is to buy a place in Kits and rent out his current home.
He's looking at half duplexes so his budget is about $2.3M.
Which is like $460k down + $11k a month in mortgage payment + property tax. He said he could sell some more stocks and put like 30% down if needed.

He asked me what I thought and I just told him I think real estate is always a good idea if you can afford it. Especially in Vancouver. Based on history, real estate always goes up. The big challenge right now is that interest rates are so high, does it make sense as an investment? Maybe not, but if you're going to live there, I guess it's okay.

I would think his current house could rent out for $6k a month, but he would also have to pay tax on that income as the house is paid off, the expenses wouldn't be that high for that property to offset the income.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2024, 11:38 AM   #31830
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
If we wants to rent next spring to fellow Revscene’s plus family we are looking. Finding a whole house (my family of 4 plus parents) is rough. Renting while we build est. 1 year.
Size and areas you're looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In your Uncle's case, I think the most sensible apporach is to take out a mortgage on his current (6 bedroom) home, and use those funds to fully purchase the Kitsilano half duplex. And then with the old home as rental property, the interest on mortgage payments can be written off as business expense to offset the rental income.

Going this route should also result in him needing to come up with the least amount of money upfront as well. But even then, he would still need to have an income large enough to support/service the mortage that he takes out, and that is not an easy thing to do. Since the house has not been rented out yet, the bank wouldn't count the rental income in determining how much money they would lend to your uncle.
Most lenders will count half year rent towards the mortgage application. Also depends on uncles LTV/TDSR.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2024, 11:45 AM   #31831
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,858 Times in 7,377 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Vancouver cooks/chefs have the same thinking? My cousin, who caters, constantly opens up pop-ups in somewhat dumpy places with great food.
It's cause we were all poor at one point, like good food, and hate pretentious atmospheres. It's the best way to eat well at a reasonable price point. Spend less on the white linens and flower arrangements and more on taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
There isn’t a place in Vancouver I’d wait 45+ minutes for lol..

Red wagon is typically the only place I ever stand in a lineup at and it’s usually under 10 minutes for 2 people.

I love when these totally half ass places have half their tables empty but resos presumably incoming, so they tell you an hour plus of a wait just to sit down. It’s like ok yea, don’t serve me your overpriced tacos and beer and keep all those tables empty for the no-shows, nice business model
Yeah but wouldn't you be having a fit if you showed up and someone was sitting in the table you had a reso for? Chances are the people running the restaurant understand timing for the restaurant better than you do man.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2024, 11:48 AM   #31832
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I dunno. Most of these places are typically closed within the year I try to go.

I get holding tables but holding room at the bar etc. I dunno.. I think people would do well to just say, you’ve got 30 minutes and then you’ve gotta be gone. Although I’m sure with the amount of clowns around it would turn into a headache 50% of the time

What’s the no show rate for resos?

The last place this happened to me was at Miso Taco in Chinatown. Had about 35 minutes to kill before my wife’s hair appointment and we walked by there, wanted to grab a beer and a bite. They’ve probably got 8-10 tables and only 3 had customers, but the wait was 1 hour or longer? I dunno about that..
Old 06-17-2024, 11:53 AM   #31833

Thanked 31,858 Times in 7,377 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
We started doing resos by donation. We keep most for walk ins but you can book a reso by donating to a charity that we rotate through. Since that pretty much 99% show up and those that don't basically always message us beforehand.
I agree with no resos at the bar though. Should always keep something available for your walk ins, but I feel like some places that are in low traffic areas might not benefit from that. Also totally agree that giving someone a timeline is fair if they can get in and out for a bite, but often people agree to that and then have a shit fit when they are rushed so places stop trying for that.

We raised like 30k in 3 months which I think is awesome. Like 2 people have complained about it, but it's like, you don't have to make a reservation, we always take walk ins, and frankly it's not our problem if there's a wait. It's the opposite of a problem for us.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2024, 11:59 AM   #31834

Yea I like that, the donation for reso

Some places I find a little annoying tossing a credit card into some management system like Resy etc. which is a 3rd party. But I get restaurants not wanting to invest in their own system which is likely more headache than it’s worth
Old 06-17-2024, 12:00 PM   #31835
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
You may visually see empty tables, but what if they didn't open the tables because they didn't have the staff to serve them properly? You'd probably be just as disappointed if they seated you and you waited 1 hr to get your appetizers.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:15 PM   #31836

That’s just poor business practice.

It was tacos, not a beef Wellington lol
Old 06-17-2024, 12:42 PM   #31837
private modder

Thanked 2,762 Times in 775 Posts
Failed 46 Times in 34 Posts
OEB's brioche french toast with cinnamon and orange blossom is one of my favourite things to eat. I'll give them that.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:53 PM   #31838

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,246 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Wait a sec... You borrowed money to buy a home to live in yourself. Can you write off the interest as a business expense? That's different from borrowing money to buy a property to rent out...

I'm not an accountant so I'm just curious.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:57 PM   #31839

Thanked 1,807 Times in 933 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
No line ups

My biggest gripe is lining up for breakfast, I think it's silly.
Does dim sum count as breakfast though?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 01:34 PM   #31840
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,954 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Does dim sum count as breakfast though?
No
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2024, 01:54 PM   #31841
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wait a sec... You borrowed money to buy a home to live in yourself. Can you write off the interest as a business expense? That's different from borrowing money to buy a property to rent out...

Legally, no
Shady-ly, yes
Its only an issue if CRA audits you

not an accountant

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 01:54 PM   #31842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

The difference is where the money is coming from. Taking out a HELOC against the house you will be renting and using that money elsewhere… vs taking out a mortgage on a property your living in.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:29 PM   #31843
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,905 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
I'll keep you in mind if he finds a place. He went to a couple open houses yesterday and didn't see anything he liked. There's not much that comes up around the kits area, so I suspect it'll take awhile before he finds something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Can he even afford a $11000 mtg?! $1.8m mtg at 7.2% stress test, 30y is $12220 a month + housing expense. That's $350k annual income
Hmm good point. He's currently retired. He did brag to me about having to pay like $35k in taxes for last year. He's still generating income. He had a wholesale toy business before, so he probably still has money in the company that he's withdrawing.

I would have to ask him in more detail about his financing. He's pretty loaded though. He has two houses and helped both his kids buy a place and he said he made a lot of money on Microsoft. "A lot" is pretty subjective, but I suspect if he's saying a lot, it means like $500k+.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:48 PM   #31844
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
pictures got taken at my house today, listing should go up tomorrow

not too eager to list here as I'm not finding anything close to what i want to buy
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 02:55 PM   #31845
Old School RS

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,228 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
The difference is where the money is coming from. Taking out a HELOC against the house you will be renting and using that money elsewhere… vs taking out a mortgage on a property your living in.
No, this is not true. The test of whether you can write off your interest has nothing to do with how you raised the money and everything about what the funds are used for.

Simple example - you own a house, it is clean and clear, no mortgage against it. Your friend says "hey, I have an opportunity for you to help me grow my business, loan me $250k and 'll pay you 10% interest per year and pay you back in 5 years."

You go to the bank and say "I'd like a mortgage on my house please," borrow the money, write off the 5% interest in the next 5 years (against the income generated by the 10% interest your friend is paying you, and in 5 years your friend pays you back, and you pay your mortgage off.

The reason this is deductible is because the purpose of borrowing money (even against your primary residence) is to generate income.

On the other hand, if you had the same house, got the same mortgage for $250k, but spent it on renovating the kitchen and garage, you cannot deduct this interest.

Generally the examples are not as cut and dry as often your house will have some debt that you used to buy it (not deductible) and some that maybe is deductible - it's a pretty regular part of our planning practice to help optimize this.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Old 06-17-2024, 03:42 PM   #31846
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
I wanted to take my dad to OEB yesterday since we had both never been. Got on the waitlist and their estimated wait time was over 2 hours.

Went to Earls instead.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2024, 03:54 PM   #31847
Old School RS

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,228 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
If you can afford it, do you guys think it's always better to buy real estate in Vancouver (even in this climate)?

One of my uncles has a six bedroom house that him and his wife life in. Their two sons have moved out, they both have their own families and places in Vancouver.

He's thinking about moving to Kitsilano. His idea is to buy a place in Kits and rent out his current home.
He's looking at half duplexes so his budget is about $2.3M.
Which is like $460k down + $11k a month in mortgage payment + property tax. He said he could sell some more stocks and put like 30% down if needed.

He asked me what I thought and I just told him I think real estate is always a good idea if you can afford it. Especially in Vancouver. Based on history, real estate always goes up. The big challenge right now is that interest rates are so high, does it make sense as an investment? Maybe not, but if you're going to live there, I guess it's okay.
I have done the math a few times in this thread, but I think the bottom line continues to be that you need to expect significant price appreciation on Vancouver real estate to happen in the future for it to be worth it, otherwise you are better cashing one in, buying the next one, and putting the rest in the markets. Now that interest rates are higher, density has been given out across the board, and the economy is a little tighter - the conditions are much tougher for real estate to appreciate. Doesn't mean it cant/wont, but it's worth recognizing that basically every catalyst for its growth in the past 20 years is significantly worse than it used to be.

Quote:
I would think his current house could rent out for $6k a month, but he would also have to pay tax on that income as the house is paid off, the expenses wouldn't be that high for that property to offset the income.
As I've said on my last post - there are definitely some ways to rearrange his debt to ensure that he can write off the rent of the new place, any financial advisor worth their salt should be able to show you the path to that and if they can't, I can lol.

-Mark
Old 06-17-2024, 04:17 PM   #31848
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,905 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
pictures got taken at my house today, listing should go up tomorrow

not too eager to list here as I'm not finding anything close to what i want to buy
Where are you looking to buy and what's the budget?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:55 PM   #31849

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Size and areas you're looking for?

Most lenders will count half year rent towards the mortgage application. Also depends on uncles LTV/TDSR.
4+ bedroom. As close to 16th and McDonald as we can get.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:43 PM   #31850
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,652 Times in 569 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I wanted to take my dad to OEB yesterday since we had both never been. Got on the waitlist and their estimated wait time was over 2 hours.

Went to Earls instead.
Which OEB was this? Many do that Yelp waitlist, just sign up at 8am and sleep in until 30 minutes before your table is ready lol.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote