REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-19-2024, 09:50 AM   #31876
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,523 Times in 2,630 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
So I paid my (CoV) property tax for myself, and the (BBY) property tax for my MIL just now. I think they're due before July 3? (Gonna be forcing myself to eat nothing but plain bread the next few weeks to psychologically compensate for the wallet hurting...)

What struck me during the paying process was, the amount I was paying seemed much higher than last year, esp for my MIL. So I pulled out the numbers from 2023 for a quick check, and lo and behold:

- my 2024 CoV payment is 12.x% higher than 2023
- MIL's BBY payment is almost 17% higher than 2023

The CoV property tax increase for 2024 was supposed to be 7.5%, and the one for Burnaby was supposed to be 4.5%.

Now, I know there are additional fees that get tacked on to the property tax payment. School fees, garbage collection fees, etc. The list for Burnaby is a little different, but there is a short list of misc fees as well. I didn't do a line by line comparison to see what the individual increases were, or what new items might have been tacked on to the property tax bill. But at the end of the day, this means those various miscellaneous fees have gone up by quite a bit -- far more than the announced property tax increase.

Again, gonna be eating nothing but plain bread the next few weeks to (mentally) compensate for the unexpected hikes...
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 10:14 AM   #31877
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,905 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
That's why I use my Canadian Tire Mastercard to pay property tax and utilities. You get 0.5% Canandian tire Rewards for it and no fee's to use it, no annual fee, and you get free road side assistance, so the sting hurts a little less.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 10:21 AM   #31878
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,501 Times in 955 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I talked to my uncle again and I told him he should just consider renting instead. I proposed he should live in Olympic Village, the walk score is way higher and it's closer to more amenities and if he wants to go to Kits he should buy some electric bikes and bike the seawall there. I even asked him when's the last time he sat on the beach and he said it's been awhile. I think he liked the idea of living in Kits, but that's not his lifestyle.

So I found this unit at Avenue One, the new Concord building. 2br + den, 2bath.
https://www.rew.ca/properties/557034...-vancouver-bc#

This is wild. There's this unit selling for $1.6M, but there's also the same unit for rent on facebook. Rental is $5,500 per month.
The mortgage + property tax + maintenance fee on the unit is roughly $11,500.
Which means the guys is losing close to $6k a month if he rents the unit for $5,500. This is absolutely wild. I'm sure the owner's cost basis is actually lower than $1.6M, but still, it's crazy.

I asked my uncle about his financing and he told me not to worry, he will not have any issues with financing. If he needs to put 100% in cash down, he will be able to... lol. This guy. He's so ballin.
I have a friend who sold his 2BR 2 BA at Brentwood for $9XXK, slapped it all in VEQT + some bank stocks, then moved into Avenue One.

He's renting a unit on a higher floor for $4,000/month all in since 2021. It's an insane deal considering sold prices are in the $1.5-2M category. He sees a few canucks players in his unit.

The massive patio + fireplace + view of downtown + prime location for late 20's to early 30's.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:33 AM   #31879
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,292 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
So I paid my (CoV) property tax for myself, and the (BBY) property tax for my MIL just now. I think they're due before July 3? (Gonna be forcing myself to eat nothing but plain bread the next few weeks to psychologically compensate for the wallet hurting...)

What struck me during the paying process was, the amount I was paying seemed much higher than last year, esp for my MIL. So I pulled out the numbers from 2023 for a quick check, and lo and behold:

The CoV property tax increase for 2024 was supposed to be 7.5%, and the one for Burnaby was supposed to be 4.5%.

Now, I know there are additional fees that get tacked on to the property tax payment. School fees, garbage collection fees, etc. The list for Burnaby is a little different, but there is a short list of misc fees as well. I didn't do a line by line comparison to see what the individual increases were, or what new items might have been tacked on to the property tax bill. But at the end of the day, this means those various miscellaneous fees have gone up by quite a bit -- far more than the announced property tax increase.

Again, gonna be eating nothing but plain bread the next few weeks to (mentally) compensate for the unexpected hikes...
Mine has gone up significantly as well, but it was expected for me. I lose the home owner's grant this year due to the assessment going over the threshold, and the expected tax hike.

I should probably go and break it down some.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 10:50 AM   #31880
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
How do you use a cc to pay property tax?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 11:00 AM   #31881
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:

I pulled up my Burnaby taxes and did a YOY comp and my total increase was 6.9% with the biggest percentage changes coming from transit (+27%) and the regional district (11.6%). The rest were all under 6.2%. The largest dollar amount changes were for general taxes (+$177), transit (+$151) and regional district (+$142).

My assessed value went up 2.8% YoY as well.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 11:03 AM   #31882

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Mine has gone up significantly as well, but it was expected for me. I lose the home owner's grant this year due to the assessment going over the threshold, and the expected tax hike.
Oh shxt... now that you mentioned it, I went to check and our place's BC assessment value is just a hair over the HOG threshold.

FML...

The 12.x% increase over last year is based on the amount I need to pay if I qualify for the HOG, which I don't anymore. Now that I am not eligible for the HOG, it's gonna be even higher...

(The MIL's place qualifies for senior HOG, but it is still a high 16.x% increase...)
Old 06-19-2024, 11:10 AM   #31883

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
How do you use a cc to pay property tax?
As PeanutButter was saying, I use my Crappy Tire MC to pay for property tax as well. From the credit card's online banking website, there is a "Pay You Bills" section that is just like any regular bank's online bill payment section. My utility and property tax bills have all been added there, and then I just pay those bills through the Crappy Tire MC.

I still collect that 0.5% CTM rebate (it used to be 1%), and there are no additional fees added to the utility or property tax bill payments.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:22 AM   #31884

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
wait so you guys are able to pay your city bills using CC even when the city says no CC payments?

in Coquitlam I think I can pay unitalities but not property tax, might be the other way around have to double check

coquitlam went up 9% is not more, again need to do the math
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:17 PM   #31885
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
wait so you guys are able to pay your city bills using CC even when the city says no CC payments?

in Coquitlam I think I can pay unitalities but not property tax, might be the other way around have to double check

I believe you can pay with a credit card thru City of Coquitlam, but there's a 2% processing fee. To avoid the fee, you can pay using a CT credit card, which allows you to pay certain bills online thru their online banking - property taxes being one of them.

Ref: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/pay-...ck-ct-1149989/
ST184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:21 PM   #31886

Quote:

Yea, man. With Crappy Tire's Triangle MC, utility bills and property tax just get treated like they do on any other online bill payment platforms from the bank. There are no additional charges; I get their 0.5% CTM rebate, and the amount is treated just like any other charges you put on the credit card, where it is due on a monthly basis at the same credit card bill due date.

Of course, that also means it is subjected to the same super high credit card interest rates if you don't pay your CC bill on time. But that's what all of us are supposed to avoid, right?
Old 06-19-2024, 12:25 PM   #31887
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,246 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Suddenly there is a spike of Crappy Tire Triangle MC applications.

"Where did you hear about us?"
Revscene!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 01:08 PM   #31888
in the butt

Thanked 3,516 Times in 1,281 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Signing up for a CC to get 40$ back on a 8000$ payment on your 2mil value house......

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 01:11 PM   #31889

If you fill up at Petro Canada and you pay with the Crapy Tire Triangle MC, there is some sort of loyalty discount as well. Pair that up with your Petro Points card, and I believe you get 20% more points or something along those lines.

Of course, we all fill up with Shell V-Power Nitro 93, right? Even with our stock Corollas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Signing up for a CC to get 40$ back on a 8000$ payment on your 2mil value house......
$20 is $20, man. And in this case, it's actually $40.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 01:35 PM   #31890
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
If you fill up at Petro Canada and you pay with the Crapy Tire Triangle MC, there is some sort of loyalty discount as well. Pair that up with your Petro Points card, and I believe you get 20% more points or something along those lines.

Of course, we all fill up with Shell V-Power Nitro 93, right? Even with our stock Corollas.

Exactly! lol That's $40 times how many years of home ownership?

Plus the free road side assistance.
ST184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:38 PM   #31891
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,927 Times in 2,565 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
basically it's like getting a free pack of beer when paying your property tax

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:40 PM   #31892

Quote:

The Canadian Tire mastercard is the only Credit Card you can use to pay property tax and utility bills without additional fee's.

The reason is because Canadian Tire is actually a bank and it allows you to pay your bills as an institution, that's why there are no fees when you pay property tax or utilities. Instead of paying it from a traditional chequing account like you would at TD or RBC, it allows you to use your Canadian Tire Credit Card. It's unique in this way compared to any other credit card.

The other big benefit I feel is the Road Side assistance, it's essentially a free BCAA. I've used it before and it's pretty good. Also there's no annual fee.

Granted, Donk has a point, the credit isn't a lot. But, I put my property tax on it, my parents, my sister, and my uncles, + my utilities and my parents utilities, so I make a couple hundred every year. Nothing crazy, but the asian in me can't help it.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2024, 01:43 PM   #31893

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Suddenly there is a spike of Crappy Tire Triangle MC applications.

"Where did you hear about us?"
Revscene!
You guys actually just missed a $150 sign up bonus from May 1 to 31. That's when I got mine and I paid for my property taxes as soon as I received the card. It also works for BC Hydro and Fortis!

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:05 PM   #31894
RabidMod

Thanked 1,322 Times in 475 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Holy shiiit... I fucking love Revscene. Signing up for a Crap Tire cc right the hell now lol.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:29 PM   #31895

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
You guys actually just missed a $150 sign up bonus from May 1 to 31. That's when I got mine and I paid for my property taxes as soon as I received the card. It also works for BC Hydro and Fortis!
can't you already pay hydro and fortis from CC's?

i honestly have no idea as my wife takes care of those lol
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:35 PM   #31896
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:

Now if you have RBC account you get 3 cents off a litre on gas plus 20% more petro points and avion points when the cards are linked. Plus you can link your CT card and add that on top.

You don't need to use your petropoints card if they are linked. Just pay with your RBC card.
Old 06-19-2024, 02:40 PM   #31897

Quote:
can't you already pay hydro and fortis from CC's?

i honestly have no idea as my wife takes care of those lol
There are fee's associated.

Fortis:
1.75% on the payment amount - if you use your Mastercard or Visa credit card
0.75% on the payment amount – if you use your Visa debit card

BC Hydro uses Paymentus, i can't seem to find what their fee is without going through a sign up. It's probably around 1-2% though.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:24 PM   #31898
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 9,994 Times in 3,601 Posts
Failed 467 Times in 232 Posts
I like the days when the city hall used to take cash. All these very suspicious mainlanders would lineup with dubious amounts of cash in big fat stacks. Hilarious.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:32 PM   #31899
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
^money raised from collecting bottles for recycling
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:06 PM   #31900
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:

I said this before and I’ll say it again. People have this perception that home owners are rich, or basically flaunting wealth when you own a roof over your head, you must be so well off to own somthing!

No one in their right mind budgets for DOUBLE DIGIT property tax increases year over year. It’s getting to be absolutely fucking insane.