REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-21-2024, 06:35 AM   #31926
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
isn't there a max number of nights before a guest is considered an occupant? I went through this was my old tenant and her girlfriend

i'd at least charge $500/month per parent group

cheaper than a hotel BY FAR and they should be thankful
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 09:35 AM   #31927
private modder

Thanked 2,762 Times in 775 Posts
Failed 46 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
When did this turn into RevSceneDeals?
As soon as we all bought real estate and became poor
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 09:35 AM   #31928
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
isn't there a max number of nights before a guest is considered an occupant? I went through this was my old tenant and her girlfriend

i'd at least charge $500/month per parent group

cheaper than a hotel BY FAR and they should be thankful
Well that's thing I'm been trying to figure out with RTB as well, what the hell constitutes as occupant. I contacted RTB and they told me an occupant is when they live in the rental unit and have no other primary residence anywhere else. That doesn't fucking make sense then, like a person can have another home in another country, and they could stay in my unit for 8 months and still be deemed a guest?

I'm already charging them 40% below market rate for rent, and they got the ballsacks to tell me they already paying for the rental unit and that they ain't paying a dime more, and only offered to pay for extra utilities. I didn't ask them to pay extra for rent with additional person staying, I merely only asked what their expectations were and what their thoughts were with their parents are staying months at time.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 10:01 AM   #31929
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
As I mentioned, there's no hard definition on it, there's no "after this many days they're occupants" etc.

Here's the relevant section on the Government website:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/h...guests-tenancy

Quote:

For guests staying for an extended period (such as several weeks), the tenant should inform the landlord of the situation.

If a landlord tries to evict a tenant for having occupants in a rental unit, tenants can seek dispute resolution. Dispute resolution is a process to help resolve conflicts between landlords and tenants.

Consider certain factors to determine if a guest has become an occupant:

Whether the guest receives mail at the tenant's address
Whether the guest pays for rent or utilities
Whether the guest stays overnight regularly
Whether the guest moves in personal belongings such as pets or furniture
Whether the guest has a key to the tenant's unit
Notice that's only a list of "considerations", not hard lines. Also notice the "for guests staying for an extended period" note, which implies that it is perfectly allowable for guests to stay for several weeks.

I'm sorry dude, but let them have their parents over in peace.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 10:13 AM   #31930

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Well that's thing I'm been trying to figure out with RTB as well, what the hell constitutes as occupant. I contacted RTB and they told me an occupant is when they live in the rental unit and have no other primary residence anywhere else. That doesn't fucking make sense then, like a person can have another home in another country, and they could stay in my unit for 8 months and still be deemed a guest?

I'm already charging them 40% below market rate for rent, and they got the ballsacks to tell me they already paying for the rental unit and that they ain't paying a dime more, and only offered to pay for extra utilities. I didn't ask them to pay extra for rent with additional person staying, I merely only asked what their expectations were and what their thoughts were with their parents are staying months at time.
If they are offering extra to cover the cost of increased utilities, then what else do you want?

Did you want them to tell their parents no, they can't stay with them because they (your tenants) are paying below market rent?

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 10:16 AM   #31931

Thanked 31,857 Times in 7,376 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
If someone is paying rent, that's their home. I don't think having extended guests is something that is unreasonable.
If your parents were to stay with you for 2 months would you be charging them rent? If these people are in good standing with payments, then the fact is, it's their home.
They aren't your guests, they are your tenants and they pay to live there and it's just what they are doing. If they aren't taking up anymore space then I don't understand why you'd be entitled to anything extra, other than utilities since they seem to be shared in your home/suite which it seems like they are willing to do.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 10:28 AM   #31932
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,905 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
^I'm pretty sure it's more the other stuff that they're getting away with. Leaving stuff outside or storing things on the property without asking.

I know for me it's always a respect thing. RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!! (In Cartman's voice)
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 10:30 AM   #31933
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Honestly even asking extra for utilities feels yucky
Old 06-21-2024, 10:43 AM   #31934

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
^I'm pretty sure it's more the other stuff that they're getting away with. Leaving stuff outside or storing things on the property without asking.

I know for me it's always a respect thing. RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!! (In Cartman's voice)
If that's the case though, then that should be what is being brought up. If there's a problem address that directly. All the "parents staying there" workaround is going to do is cause problems, because that shouldn't be a problem.
Just because the suite is attached to his house doesn't make it any less of a landlord/tenant situation. Imagine some landlord coming to your apartment and being like "no guests are allowed here for an extended period"
I'd be very quick to tell them to fuck off.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 10:50 AM   #31935
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,523 Times in 2,630 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
The only thing I can recommend here is -- you should be hiking their rent at the maximum allowable limited every single year.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 11:33 AM   #31936
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:

I think this is a learning opportunity for you as a landlord - being a landlord is a business and it's on the landlord to know the rules and to set expectations with their "customers". I do not claim to know all the rules of being a landlord as there are a lot but I try to keep up with most of the commonly used ones and guests is one of those. While some would argue this rule has grey areas I'd say it kinda doesn't because the line when a person goes from guest to occupant is very deep into what most people would consider an occupant so unless your case is extreme then the person is a guest.

As for things like mixing business and friends - giving them a break on price is your own choice. They're not obligated to do anything different than any other tenant as a result. The rent break didn't come with stipulations on what they could do and even if they did those stipulations must be legal ones. It's nice of you to give them a break but as a landlord I would quote Jay-Z, "I'm a Business, man".

My wife and I plan on taking in our parents some day and they'll live in one of our rental suites but we both agree that they will pay market rent to us. If we choose to subsidise we intend to ask our siblings to help with subsidising the rent as well. To us, paying rent is a separate matter to us providing care for them by being close to them.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 02:07 PM   #31937

It's crazy that I used to think I knew what I was talking about in my 20's. There's nothing like real life experience that humbles you. It reminds you that you ain't sh*t. The older I get, the more humble I become.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 02:09 PM   #31938

What do you guys think about this unit.

One of my clients is looking at it. It's a pretty cool one bedroom on top of the police station in New West. It's pretty big and has a cool feel to it.

The price is asking a premium. He's a single guy in his 40's and he's pretty sure he's past the point of starting a family. I think he's mainly looking for a partner at this point.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/589416...westminster-bc
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 02:12 PM   #31939

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
Apparently it's hard to control temp with those high ceilings open space so it's gonna be cold in the winter and hot in the summer
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 02:22 PM   #31940
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Very cool, I like it
Old 06-21-2024, 02:25 PM   #31941

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
I love these lofts. Not a lot of them around Metro Vancouver. Strata fees are high for the square footage of the place, but that is typically expected in these loft style homes. New West probably has the highest amount of loft style units in the market - even some newer builds in Queensborough have the fake brick loft style.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 02:37 PM   #31942

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,246 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Pretty nice! I like the simple square layouts, very little space is wasted.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 02:41 PM   #31943

Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,292 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
What do you guys think about this unit.

One of my clients is looking at it. It's a pretty cool one bedroom on top of the police station in New West. It's pretty big and has a cool feel to it.

The price is asking a premium. He's a single guy in his 40's and he's pretty sure he's past the point of starting a family. I think he's mainly looking for a partner at this point.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/589416...westminster-bc
It looks cool, but the corrugated ceiling, if they are real, is gonna be a real bitch to warm/cool for the seasons. Basically will act like a giant heatsink
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 02:58 PM   #31944
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,523 Times in 2,630 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
It looks cool, but the corrugated ceiling, if they are real, is gonna be a real bitch to warm/cool for the seasons. Basically will act like a giant heatsink
That is literally the first thought the came into my mind as well. The unit looks nice, and the location is pretty convenient too, but I would want to find out whether the ceiling is real, and whether there is any additional insulation beyond the corrugated ceiling. It would not be fun from a temperature control's perspective, and since the ceiling spans both the bedroom and the living room, basically the whole unit is gonna be affected.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 03:19 PM   #31945
I don't get it

Failed 27 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
That is literally the first thought the came into my mind as well. The unit looks nice, and the location is pretty convenient too, but I would want to find out whether the ceiling is real, and whether there is any additional insulation beyond the corrugated ceiling. It would not be fun from a temperature control's perspective, and since the ceiling spans both the bedroom and the living room, basically the whole unit is gonna be affected.
it is probably a EPDM roof, it will have 8 inches of hard insulated foam above the steel Q'deck and then a rubber membrane.

its 100% insulated, far better than walls.

i work on tilt up buildings that have that type of roofing.
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 04:11 PM   #31946

That place looks spectacular. I love seeing some character in reasonably priced places. It really makes living there feel special. Having a kid now something like that would never work for us but I still love to see them.
I can't wait to decorate our new place. It's had a good Reno and has a lot of character although lots of it is based on furniture that PO has in there now. He's got a vinyl collection of about 1000 records so I'm stoked to put my 14 up there and build it up lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 07:43 PM   #31947
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,501 Times in 955 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Honestly even asking extra for utilities feels yucky
Yeah, if they're actually my friends and their parents uses an extra $100-200 utilities over two month, I'd be glad they're spending time with their family more than the money.

Owning a detached, your NW is likely over 1-2M+, why stress about $100-200, you already won in life.

Especially if they're decent tenants that don't trash the place + pay rent reasonably on time.

On the other hand, my friend just got evicted today. He was renting our friends parent's basement at $1,000 for a 2BR suite during covid for cheap because it was vacant and they didn't want the elderly to catch covid. Three years later they increased the rent from $1,100 to $1,400 in 2023. Now in 2024 he wants market rent of $2,100 and evicted my friend when he denied. My friend won't fight it because our friends parents, took the L for doing business with friends.

The moment they repost the listing online, he'll debate if the friendship is worth $30K in damages from an illegal eviction lol.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 06-21-2024 at 07:50 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2024, 10:48 PM   #31948
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,383 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
i would sue.
business is busines.
keep the screen shot and 1) go to RTB 2) file a case 3) send him old van sun on what's he's doing.
eviction is huge in vancouver and it's one huge issue when it comes to RTB that they will for sure hit you hard on.

hope you got proper documentation.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:25 PM   #31949

Thanked 3,194 Times in 1,246 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
On the other hand, my friend just got evicted today. He was renting our friends parent's basement at $1,000 for a 2BR suite during covid for cheap because it was vacant and they didn't want the elderly to catch covid. Three years later they increased the rent from $1,100 to $1,400 in 2023. Now in 2024 he wants market rent of $2,100 and evicted my friend when he denied. My friend won't fight it because our friends parents, took the L for doing business with friends.

The moment they repost the listing online, he'll debate if the friendship is worth $30K in damages from an illegal eviction lol.
Even that rent increase is way beyond the max permitted...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:58 AM   #31950

Thanked 5,160 Times in 1,954 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Imagine paying $2,100 to live in someone's basement suite, GTFO here

At that point it'd make more sense just throwing an extra few hundred and get your own condo.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: