REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-24-2024, 06:37 PM   #32001
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Sorry to go back to this topic but unless I'm missing something....

say I pay a $7k property tax bill on a CT credit card, that's almost $600 back in CT money.

that's pretty good, no?

I think i'll sign up too lol
You can pay yours with a CC?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 09:16 PM   #32002
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You can pay yours with a CC?
This was a couple pages back.

If you sign up for the Canadian Tire Mastercard, you are able to pay property tax, BC Hydro, and Fortis. This is the only credit card that can pay property tax and utilities because of the way Canadian Tire handles these payments.

So if you get a world elite mastercard from Canadina Tire, you get 1% back in CT rewards. + you get free BCAA (well it's Canadian tires version, which I've used and it's just as good) + no annual fee.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2024, 04:10 AM   #32003
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Sorry to go back to this topic but unless I'm missing something....

say I pay a $7k property tax bill on a CT credit card, that's almost $600 back in CT money.

that's pretty good, no?

I think i'll sign up too lol
I see 1%…. So that’s $70?
Old 06-25-2024, 06:41 AM   #32004
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
soooo i accepted an offer last night after a little back n forth

was pretty tough to convince myself to do it....

very quick close, next tuesday, and long term possession date (late Oct) with option to close early with one month notice as we haven't even found anything we like

little concerned but only had 1 offer, i still thought we should have waited

i sure hope i don't regret this
blkgsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 07:36 AM   #32005
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,144 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Congrats! I think it's a tough market out there particularly for anything that's not detached - my BIL just pulled his townhouse off the market and is going to rent it out instead. He wanted to get above assessed and that's just not happening for him.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:31 AM   #32006

oh i'm well above assessed, just couldn't price myself out of the area.

highest sale price in the area and highest by far on price per square foot.

i know i did well, just wanted a little more but it's not having the next one locked in that's got me the most concerned. we have a place to live if necessary but i don't want to move my life twice especially since i have a 10 month old. she's a total game changer
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2024, 11:59 AM   #32007
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,361 Times in 1,792 Posts
Failed 114 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
oh i'm well above assessed, just couldn't price myself out of the area.

highest sale price in the area and highest by far on price per square foot.

i know i did well, just wanted a little more but it's not having the next one locked in that's got me the most concerned. we have a place to live if necessary but i don't want to move my life twice especially since i have a 10 month old. she's a total game changer
I don't think there is ever a realistic price that we'd be totally be satisfied with when you play all these "what if" games.

You made a decision and by accounts it was the best one to be made. Just have to look forward and keep moving.

You'll be surprised how resilient kids are. When we moved, I think it took us longer to adapt than our kid.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:35 PM   #32008

oh i'm not worried about HER moving....i'm worried about moving her and all her shit lol

i've been looking around the house/garage/under deck.....amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over 14 years....i'm going to need 3 moving trucks
Old 06-25-2024, 12:42 PM   #32009

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Or just leave it all behind for the buyer
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:59 PM   #32010
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,312 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
oh i'm not worried about HER moving....i'm worried about moving her and all her shit lol

i've been looking around the house/garage/under deck.....amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over 14 years....i'm going to need 3 moving trucks
Be surprised how much stuff a moving truck can pack. We only needed one truck from our 1400sqft townhouse, though some of it we moved with our car as the bulk of the furniture went to the garage at the new house, the crib and some of the kids stuff went to my parents as we were staying there while the house was being reno'ed
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:15 PM   #32011
private modder

Thanked 2,766 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
It's more like $70 but better than nothing!
ahh you are right. the calculator on the CT website where you can enter your spending to calculate your rewards is per month, and I missed that part.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:49 PM   #32012
in the butt

Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,286 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and throw out / give away all the shit you havent used in 2 years / even 1 year. Knick knacks / cardboard boxes / etc.

Life is so much better with less shit laying around for no reason.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 03:52 PM   #32013
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
Does the CT card open immediately? Cuz they want you to shop in store? Or do you still need to qualify and wait 2 weeks for the card?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 04:32 PM   #32014
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,828 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Do yourself a favor and throw out / give away all the shit you havent used in 2 years / even 1 year. Knick knacks / cardboard boxes / etc.

If you can’t get your home presentable in 30-45 minutes at any given point (sans kids) you’ve probably got too much shit.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:33 PM   #32015
Banned By Establishment

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Does the CT card open immediately? Cuz they want you to shop in store? Or do you still need to qualify and wait 2 weeks for the card?
I signed up online and they give me a credit limit right away. About a week later I got the card in the mail. I read on the credit card forums that if they don't give you your limit right away, there's a high chance you got denied.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:11 AM   #32016

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

we've already started doing that, but realistically it's our winter gear, my sports gear, and all the stuff stored in the garage and all my tools

i plan on getting a PODS can and loading all that shit up myself along with anyhting else that is ok to be "outside" in tupperware or boxes in the can. then just get the movers to handle the big stuff and our clothes. then i'll get the PODS moved over and we can unload at our own pace
Old 06-26-2024, 01:46 PM   #32017

Failed 17 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
we've already started doing that, but realistically it's our winter gear, my sports gear, and all the stuff stored in the garage and all my tools

i plan on getting a PODS can and loading all that shit up myself along with anyhting else that is ok to be "outside" in tupperware or boxes in the can. then just get the movers to handle the big stuff and our clothes. then i'll get the PODS moved over and we can unload at our own pace
Thats what exactly i did when we moved. However did not take our time just unloaded that pod asap as we had a bunch of furniture deliveries too which needed the front door for access.

Would recommend people to use pods for moving a bunch of unused shit from old to new place.

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 10:33 AM   #32018
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
I got a call from my neighbour across the lane yesterday. She needed help bringing groceries in. 82 year old lady, her husband passed away last year, she has a bad hip and is very overweight and needs help from time to time.

She was complaining about her two adults kids who don't come to see them often and don't help her out. I don't know how long ago (it seemed like it was years ago), but she bought them each a house in the neighbourhood (Vancouver) for them and their families and they both ended up selling the houses and one moved to coquitlam and one moved to Abbotsford.

Pretty sad to just get up and leave like that. Then again, I don't know their family dynamic.

Her house is huge, way too big for a couple, let a lone one person. It's on a 55'x130', they even have an indoor pool inside, it's wild. I told her to just sell the house and move into one of those high end living residences but she scoffed at the idea. But she also says she gets really lonely these days. Moving into one of those residences would probably be good for her since they have so many activities she can do.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 10:54 AM   #32019

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Tell her to sell and go to Legacy.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 11:03 AM   #32020

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Tell her to call me before calling Legacy
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 11:54 AM   #32021
RabidMod

Thanked 1,343 Times in 484 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatdownvictim View Post
Thats what exactly i did when we moved. However did not take our time just unloaded that pod asap as we had a bunch of furniture deliveries too which needed the front door for access.

Would recommend people to use pods for moving a bunch of unused shit from old to new place.
Yep. We also did this. Took our time packing, over about a month.

Picture of the full container, before I added a 14" thick king-size mattress and sealed it up. My buddy and I had to simultaneously ram ourselves into the doors to get 'em to latch all the way .

Then UPack shipped all the way from Bay Area to Toronto in a couple days, without any issue for $2800. PODS wanted twice that. Should only be a couple hundred if it's local.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:57 AM   #32022
RabidMod

Also, we just closed on selling our house in California!! Got $30k over asking .
Old 06-28-2024, 05:31 PM   #32023
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
How do you feel about leaving Cali?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 06:55 PM   #32024
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Her house is huge, way too big for a couple, let a lone one person. It's on a 55'x130', they even have an indoor pool inside, it's wild. I told her to just sell the house and move into one of those high end living residences but she scoffed at the idea. But she also says she gets really lonely these days. Moving into one of those residences would probably be good for her since they have so many activities she can do.

Honestly I used to live across from Tapestry at Wesbrook Village and it seems like a pretty ideal retirement to me if I can afford it when the time comes.

They have lecturers from UBC come in, field trips, social events if you want them, your own apartment if you don't want to socialize... if you wanna travel you lock the door and go, no worrying about maintaining a gigantic home...
Old 06-28-2024, 09:12 PM   #32025
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
How do you feel about leaving Cali?
I was pretty torn up about it in the months leading up to leaving - I'd lived there for 9 years - but it helps that Toronto's such a great place to be.

I lived in the SF South Bay Area, aka Silicon Valley. It's about 40 minutes south of SF, and the environment is mostly tech campuses in a collection of small towns. E.g. Cupertino, Menlo Park, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Redwood City: each of their downtowns were maybe the size of Kerrisdale, and each of them are about 10-15 minutes of driving down the highway. Never too far from the mountains and Pacific Coast, where a good drive or ride could be had on the weekends or after work.

And the access to world class tracks!! Sonoma (Infineon) is an hour north. Thunderhill is another hour up. Laguna Seca is 2 hours south. Buttonwillow another hour down. Between my S2k, R6, and R56 Cooper S, I'd been to 25+ track days.

It was also great to be within an hour's flight to LA (we used to drive there, but it really wasn't worth burning up a whole 5 hours each way for just a weekend). The food there is great, and there the beaches and warmth are really California as advertised.

I liked it but I missed living in a bigger city. I suppose I could've gotten that living in San Francisco: some of my colleagues took the company shuttle to and from every day. But SF's a little grungy these days, esp after COVID.

I also got kind of sick of the continuous sunny blue skies. When every day is the same, it all just kind of blurs together. You're less grateful. It doesn't feel special. I missed the seasonality of Vancouver. I missed the rain, I missed the snow.

But the work life: wow. For engineering, it is the major leagues. You get really good at what you do, because you work with the best, they expect the best, and the challenges are numerous and fun. You patent. And you get access to work on some truly bat-shit crazy stuff that only SV has the resources to fund. The pay is pretty ok too: you look around in the parking garage and it seems like 911 Carreras are rare to see, only because there are so many GT3s lol.

Anyway in the end, I moved for family. It's kind of hard to let go of the work responsibilities to really be present for your kids (my colleagues try, to varying degrees of success. it takes a lot of willpower to drop what you're doing and skip out on stuff, when you know it's going to let people down). Also my wife's family is all here and we wanted the kid to be among family. She also has a career that she loves here and we feel like it's her turn to see how far she can go. So when I finally shipped the hardware I was working on for so many years, we figured it was time to go.

P.S.: Silicon Valley the show is way exaggerated, but it has some basis in truth :

Last edited by RabidRat; 06-28-2024 at 09:29 PM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote