REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-29-2024, 04:27 AM   #32026
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,137 Times in 3,627 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
I also disliked NorCal weather. Too much endless sun made me angry. Being a broke ass student also made me angry.

Taking the bart made me angry.

The food made me angry.

I couldn’t leave it fast enough. Palo Alto was full of insufferable trust fund douches or nepotism so ripe it could have started an imperial dynasty
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-29-2024, 08:11 AM   #32027
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,870 Times in 1,312 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I was pretty torn up about it in the months leading up to leaving - I'd lived there for 9 years - but it helps that Toronto's such a great place to be.

I lived in the SF South Bay Area, aka Silicon Valley. It's about 40 minutes south of SF, and the environment is mostly tech campuses in a collection of small towns. E.g. Cupertino, Menlo Park, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Redwood City: each of their downtowns were maybe the size of Kerrisdale, and each of them are about 10-15 minutes of driving down the highway. Never too far from the mountains and Pacific Coast, where a good drive or ride could be had on the weekends or after work.

And the access to world class tracks!! Sonoma (Infineon) is an hour north. Thunderhill is another hour up. Laguna Seca is 2 hours south. Buttonwillow another hour down. Between my S2k, R6, and R56 Cooper S, I'd been to 25+ track days.

It was also great to be within an hour's flight to LA (we used to drive there, but it really wasn't worth burning up a whole 5 hours each way for just a weekend). The food there is great, and there the beaches and warmth are really California as advertised.

I liked it but I missed living in a bigger city. I suppose I could've gotten that living in San Francisco: some of my colleagues took the company shuttle to and from every day. But SF's a little grungy these days, esp after COVID.

I also got kind of sick of the continuous sunny blue skies. When every day is the same, it all just kind of blurs together. You're less grateful. It doesn't feel special. I missed the seasonality of Vancouver. I missed the rain, I missed the snow.

But the work life: wow. For engineering, it is the major leagues. You get really good at what you do, because you work with the best, they expect the best, and the challenges are numerous and fun. You patent. And you get access to work on some truly bat-shit crazy stuff that only SV has the resources to fund. The pay is pretty ok too: you look around in the parking garage and it seems like 911 Carreras are rare to see, only because there are so many GT3s lol.

Anyway in the end, I moved for family. It's kind of hard to let go of the work responsibilities to really be present for your kids (my colleagues try, to varying degrees of success. it takes a lot of willpower to drop what you're doing and skip out on stuff, when you know it's going to let people down). Also my wife's family is all here and we wanted the kid to be among family. She also has a career that she loves here and we feel like it's her turn to see how far she can go. So when I finally shipped the hardware I was working on for so many years, we figured it was time to go.

P.S.: Silicon Valley the show is way exaggerated, but it has some basis in truth :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-b7-fLOjlY
That's an interesting post. Couple things that stood out for me.

You can get too much sunny weather it seems. When in San Diego, I was getting a coffee and chatting with the barista. I was telling her how much I love SD, she told me she would love to move to a place like Vancouver because she's a little tired of all the sunny weather. She'd like to see rain, and snow. Wife said the same thing about someone she was chatting with at the Children's Museum as well. I've never hated the rainy weather in Vancouver like some other ppl do but never thought you can have too much sunny.

The one thing that I can't give up though is the greenery. I really learned to appreciate it when I went to Phoenix for 5 days for a bachelor party. Phoenix was a lot of fun, but the first thing that hit me was that everything was brown or tan. When we flew back and arrived in Seattle, it just hit me how everything was dark green. I do not want to give that up which means chances are I am stuck in the PNW and the temperate rainforest climate.

With work. I do want to try working at a place where everyone is capable, and there's competent management. I've come close at the crypto company that I joined in 2022, but unfortunately my manager there was a micromanaging newbie, which then everyone got laid off at the crypto crash.

Though, I've interviewed ppl from SF and LA. The ones that I've interviewed don't seem particularly great and we came out of those interviews thinking, "that person works at Apple how? did they just got brought in from acquiring another company?"
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2024, 08:19 AM   #32028
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
During my time in NorCal... the rule of thumb was always bring a jacket in the car. The place gets cold as soon as the sun goes out either because of a cloudy day or night time.

Other than that, I love NorCal overall.
If it wasn't for the crazy tax scheme in California, we'd probably move there after wife's work at the university was done.

Heck, I even love dealing with the hippie liberal Chinese IT people over there. They are the craziest, most condescending and yet contradicting people you can find on Earth. Whenever they tell me things like Trans should be able to go to whatever changeroom they feel like. I'd go, "oh... so you agree that it's ok for me to say Taiwan is not China". They'd go batshit crazy saying "Taiwan is China and it's got nothing to do". I was like, hey, that's discrimination. I identify myself as Taiwanese and I should be able to say whatever the fuck I believe in. And that'd usually crash their brain as they aren't able to process that logic and it goes into infinite loop.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:19 AM   #32029
RabidMod

Thanked 1,343 Times in 484 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I also disliked NorCal weather. Too much endless sun made me angry. Being a broke ass student also made me angry.

Taking the bart made me angry.

The food made me angry.

I couldn’t leave it fast enough. Palo Alto was full of insufferable trust fund douches or nepotism so ripe it could have started an imperial dynasty
Ya man Stanford is a rich kids' school in a rich peoples' town. Can only imagine what that would've been like for a kid from the east side having just clawed their way in.

For what it's worth, glad you didn't wind up a VC douche. Seems like a very different world than the one I lived out there, which was among mostly self-made dorks with humble roots who got in because they passed the 6-hour white-boarding interview marathon of circuit design and/or coding.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:06 AM   #32030
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Though, I've interviewed ppl from SF and LA. The ones that I've interviewed don't seem particularly great and we came out of those interviews thinking, "that person works at Apple how? did they just got brought in from acquiring another company?"
Yeah true. Folks do sometimes seem to slip through the cracks. I've interviewed EEs coming in from places like NASA JPL, Dyson, degrees from MIT, CalTech, and it's like wtf, how are you this bad? I don't even look at resumes anymore before I interview. Just seems like it shouldn't matter and I'd rather not be biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Heck, I even love dealing with the hippie liberal Chinese IT people over there. They are the craziest, most condescending and yet contradicting people you can find on Earth. Whenever they tell me things like Trans should be able to go to whatever changeroom they feel like. I'd go, "oh... so you agree that it's ok for me to say Taiwan is not China". They'd go batshit crazy saying "Taiwan is China and it's got nothing to do". I was like, hey, that's discrimination. I identify myself as Taiwanese and I should be able to say whatever the fuck I believe in. And that'd usually crash their brain as they aren't able to process that logic and it goes into infinite loop.
Sounds like indoctrination vs rational cognition. Different parts of the brain, I guess!
Old 06-29-2024, 10:42 AM   #32031

What ?!?!? Taiwan is China !!!! (Literally… the old Chinese government)

Fuck you hehaw you separatist dog!

Can I have semiconductors now ?

Also welcome back. Haven’t seen your posts in a while
Old 06-29-2024, 01:30 PM   #32032
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Norcal gets pretty chilly for california standards in the winter. Also if you want seasonality you can always go to lake tahoe. Let’s revisit this thread after rabidrat goes through a east coast winter lol
noclue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 02:43 PM   #32033

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
The perfect address doesn't exist...........

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ew-westminster
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2024, 03:56 PM   #32034

Mike's house!?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2024, 04:43 PM   #32035
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
lol I was gonna say let's gofundme so Mike can get it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2024, 06:01 PM   #32036
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I'm surprised the woke folks and SJWs haven't protested the hell out of that street name yet. Yonge-Dundas Square is already a goner.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 06:05 PM   #32037

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'm surprised the woke folks and SJWs haven't protested the hell out of that street name yet. Yonge-Dundas Square is already a goner.
The people who care about that kind of shit can't even afford a basement suite in that area
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 06:46 PM   #32038
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Norcal gets pretty chilly for california standards in the winter. Also if you want seasonality you can always go to lake tahoe. Let’s revisit this thread after rabidrat goes through a east coast winter lol
No man, I've lived in Toronto before! I was here a couple years before heading to California

The first year I was here, it went below -20C, and it got so dry my hands looked like Emperor Palpatine's face: cracked and fissuring blood all over. Worth it!! I fucking love snow, and I love driving in it even more.
Old 06-29-2024, 07:44 PM   #32039
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,144 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
But the work life: wow. For engineering, it is the major leagues. You get really good at what you do, because you work with the best, they expect the best, and the challenges are numerous and fun. You patent. And you get access to work on some truly bat-shit crazy stuff that only SV has the resources to fund. The pay is pretty ok too: you look around in the parking garage and it seems like 911 Carreras are rare to see, only because there are so many GT3s lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
My general experience with Valley (and Seattle tech) workers is that the top tier (~10%) is truly top tier and those folks don't go around applying for Vancouver jobs ever unless some serious life event is happening to them that's forcing them to Vancouver. After that the rest of the people in those jobs are just people like us. Getting to work with the top tier folks is a very memorable experience.

But the elite are elite in big American cities and they're paid accordingly. I attend exec level events fairly regularly in SF and most folks are just like me (except they chose to be in SF where the action is) but there's the 1% that I know there's no hope I'll ever come close to being as good as. They're way smarter than me and they've experienced things I've never experienced at work. They're also WAY richer than me.

Last edited by supafamous; 06-29-2024 at 07:52 PM.
supafamous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 08:20 PM   #32040
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
The only place in Cali I've gotten to work is San Leandro lol. I'll still take it over most of the other states I've been to.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 08:59 PM   #32041

I really enjoyed lane splitting down in cali….. and el pollo loco. And the tacos.

Asian baby girls weren’t too bad either although far and few in Palo Alto. Most are the nerdy librarian type or the trust fund kids
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2024, 10:30 AM   #32042

I thought people in tech were moving to Texas or Miami due to the taxes and the California laws
Old 06-30-2024, 11:33 AM   #32043

Thanked 5,186 Times in 1,970 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
I would dream to live on Blackman street, the jokes would write themselves.

My GF hates that our wifi name is Black Mandingo. It gets kinda embarrassing whenever help desk has to RDC into my laptop to fix some VPN issues, first thing they do is click on my network and go "uhhhhhh....".

I'm gonna get fired one day.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 11:54 AM   #32044

Eh could be worse. Living on gay road with blowcock intersection in Richmond

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CKhgUhDZkNWK171u8

I took this picture a few years back when we saw a house on gay road. The directions the realtor gave were just absolutely hilarious

"Go blowcock till you hit gay road, then turn right and you'll see a pink house"

Last edited by Badhobz; 06-30-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:57 PM   #32045
in the butt

Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,286 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Texas?...... "Texas is for steers and queers"

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 06:32 AM   #32046
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,144 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Browsing Zealty for homes under $1.5m with 4 bedrooms that are under 10 years and these are the cities that don't have a single unit available:

- Richmond
- Coquitlam
- Poco
- Port Moody
- Ladner
- Pitt Meadows (!!!)
- Burnaby
- Vancouver

Langley has 3 houses that fit the criteria but you otherwise have to go out to Maple Ridge to find anything.

OTOH, I can move to Langford for the same money and get 3000sf in a new build for the same money: https://www.rew.ca/properties/590740...erty_click=map

(I'm visiting Victoria this weekend and, once again, loving how nice it is there with me wishing I could live thereabouts)
Old 07-01-2024, 08:47 AM   #32047

Welcome to Chilliwack baby
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2024, 10:06 AM   #32048
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,102 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
best address is anything in delta with the V4G 1NA postal code.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 11:12 AM   #32049
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,278 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Wow, you aren't kidding either! Google Maps
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2024, 12:38 PM   #32050
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,430 Times in 485 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Browsing Zealty for homes under $1.5m with 4 bedrooms that are under 10 years and these are the cities that don't have a single unit available:

- Richmond
- Coquitlam
- Poco
- Port Moody
- Ladner
- Pitt Meadows (!!!)
- Burnaby
- Vancouver

Langley has 3 houses that fit the criteria but you otherwise have to go out to Maple Ridge to find anything.

OTOH, I can move to Langford for the same money and get 3000sf in a new build for the same money: https://www.rew.ca/properties/590740...erty_click=map

(I'm visiting Victoria this weekend and, once again, loving how nice it is there with me wishing I could live thereabouts)
Lots of duplex in Vancouver with that criteria

https://www.zealty.ca/mls-R2892555/2...-Vancouver-BC/
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote