REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-20-2024, 06:05 PM   #32351
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Paint and caulking for sure. How old are the appliances/ what exactly do you have right now?

If the house is in good shape, I don't see how newer appliances are going to swing a buyer or I don't see how it's going to add more value. Unless the appliances you have are like 20 years old.
I actually just done repainting the interior. Not sure if I should do the exterior too. I'd definitely get on the caulking.

The idea is this... the area that I'm in is on the higher end of the market within our neighborhood. Thus, would most people shopping in my market expect to be live-in ready or they'd look for something that's a tad cheaper, but they can do the works?

My appliances aren't old, but except the dishwasher, which I replaced after I moved in, they aren't that new but doesn't show too bad either (still all SS).
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2024, 06:17 PM   #32352
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
That 4 month thing is retarded so all deals takes 4+ months to close?
Probably closer to 5 months from the sounds of it. 4 months just to take possession again.

God forbid your tenant does some stupid ass shit.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 08:21 AM   #32353
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I actually just done repainting the interior. Not sure if I should do the exterior too. I'd definitely get on the caulking.

The idea is this... the area that I'm in is on the higher end of the market within our neighborhood. Thus, would most people shopping in my market expect to be live-in ready or they'd look for something that's a tad cheaper, but they can do the works?

My appliances aren't old, but except the dishwasher, which I replaced after I moved in, they aren't that new but doesn't show too bad either (still all SS).
How old is your place ? In this market if you’re below 4mil I think it’ll move quite quickly. Anything above 4 mil seems to be very very slow.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 10:07 AM   #32354
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Since there's a few people on the strata council here, what's considered a 'healthy' contingency fund?

My friend saw a 8yr old building with $880K CRF, she's wondering where that ranks.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 10:21 AM   #32355
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
The legal requirement is an annual contribution of a minimum of 10% of the annual operating fund to the CRF. In the past, my strata has aimed to build a 15% contribution, but I didn't actually pay attention to how big the total sum was.

So in your friend's case, a strict number on its own is probably not useful enough. You'd want to compare that against the annual operating expenses to get an idea of how far that CRF would actually go.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2024, 10:44 AM   #32356
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Too many variables, it comes down to building age X number of units X amount per condo

With that said, our 60 unit condo, 1990 build, has 350k and is considered healthy.
Only thing that is "overdue" for the past 7 years is the roof, but there has only been a few leaks.

Old shitty building + small reserve = out of pocket special assessments are going to happen

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2024, 10:44 AM   #32357

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Since there's a few people on the strata council here, what's considered a 'healthy' contingency fund?

My friend saw a 8yr old building with $880K CRF, she's wondering where that ranks.
I mean it sounds nice but how big is this building? That being said just based on number alone doesn't necessarily say if it's healthy or not there are other factors I.e. current health of building.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 11:08 AM   #32358
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:

Link to the building.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 01:00 PM   #32359
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Link to the building.
It's the River Park Place by Intracorp in Richmond. It looks like 219 units?
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 06:24 PM   #32360
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
fortunate to never have to deal with stratas, but as a buyer do you get access to look at their capital renewal plan?

going off what Donk says, you look at the life cycle of the major building elements when they're EOL or history of prematurely crap out and needing repair/replacement. You'll have to have an idea of costs vs contingency and then you see how at risk the building is.

if they don't show you that info, then you have to find out key questions on when (if at all) major building elements/infrastructure have been replaced, and have to sort of know when said building elements are due for renewal due to the standard useful life. Common one is the roof but you can go down the list of all the other major ones, elevator, building envelope, piping, etc.

if nothing's been done, you compare it back to the date the building was originally built, and the materials used (if applicable, eg piping) and guestimate how much life is left and when it's due, assuming it doesn't crap out early.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2024, 09:21 PM   #32361
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
fortunate to never have to deal with stratas, but as a buyer do you get access to look at their capital renewal plan?

going off what Donk says, you look at the life cycle of the major building elements when they're EOL or history of prematurely crap out and needing repair/replacement. You'll have to have an idea of costs vs contingency and then you see how at risk the building is.

if they don't show you that info, then you have to find out key questions on when (if at all) major building elements/infrastructure have been replaced, and have to sort of know when said building elements are due for renewal due to the standard useful life. Common one is the roof but you can go down the list of all the other major ones, elevator, building envelope, piping, etc.

if nothing's been done, you compare it back to the date the building was originally built, and the materials used (if applicable, eg piping) and guestimate how much life is left and when it's due, assuming it doesn't crap out early.
Depreciation report
Old 07-22-2024, 02:01 PM   #32362
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:

Our 5 year old building as a CRF of about $400k and I've seen real estate listings promoting our building as one with a healthy CRF so take that for what it's worth, I guess?

An 8 year building still has 2-5-10 warranty left on it, so keep that in mind too.

Without reading minutes and seeing a depreciation report, on the surface i'd say an $800k CRF is better than most, especially since the requirement to contibute 10% per year only started in 2024.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2024, 04:36 PM   #32363
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,907 Times in 770 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 108 Posts
We have a practical student/intern for a few weeks at our work and we always make them do this exercise where they write down what their perfect life would look like, how much money they want to make, where they want to live, vacations, etc.

He's 22 years old, just graduated.

His perfect life is:
$300k household income
Five bedroom house with backyard
Two to Three children
Two cars, mini-van + sedan (toyota's he wants reliability)
Four weeks vacation per year, holidays off.
Five hours a week of hobby's
Three days a week to work out
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 04:42 PM   #32364

Thanked 7,578 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
We have a practical student/intern for a few weeks at our work and we always make them do this exercise where they write down what their perfect life would look like, how much money they want to make, where they want to live, vacations, etc.

He's 22 years old, just graduated.

His perfect life is:
$300k household income
Five bedroom house with backyard
Two to Three children
Two cars, mini-van + sedan (toyota's he wants reliability)
Four weeks vacation per year, holidays off.
Five hours a week of hobby's
Three days a week to work out
Honestly this is a great exercise for somebody of any age of they haven't done it before. Or at least some version of actually thinking about what happiness / fulfillment would feel like.

So often someone gets a big promotion, or a job, or a dream car or hut some kind of milestone, only to not feel as fulfilled or as happy as they thought they would be and feel even more depressed as a result. It's because they never really thought about what happiness meant to them or what would be a fulfilling life.

In so many things I've read , true happiness and fulfillment is more about gratitude and contentment of what you do have and not conditional of getting that next "thing".
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2024, 05:15 PM   #32365

I was going to add, while we were listening to his "Perfect Life", I was looking at a colleague knowing that we're sitting there listening to this kid that is literally describing our lives.

I knew we were blessed, but when this kid was talking about his perfect life and I was looking at my own life, It really put things into perspective for me.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2024, 05:23 PM   #32366
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
22 yo forgot a hot trophy wife ... you need a wife to have 2-3 children. At least it used to be that way.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2024, 05:44 PM   #32367
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Maybe 22 yo is a fudgepacker, can still have 2-3 kids.......

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 06:08 PM   #32368

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
22 yo forgot a hot trophy wife ... you need a wife to have 2-3 children. At least it used to be that way.
I guess this is relevant. He told me he's been with this vietnamese girl for the past two years. He's a mainlander that went to highschool in Richmond. He said she's great and he could see himself marrying her.

His mother doesn't like his current gf because her status and her families status is low. The gf works in admin, her dad is a cook and her mom is also an admin. The mother has not even met the girl before. But, being from the mainland, his mom only cares about status. He said he doesn't care about that stuff.

He's torn because he really loves and respects his mother, but really wants to be with this viet girl. So that's his biggest dilemma right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2024, 06:20 PM   #32369

Again ... I just have to chuckle ... how the hell do you know SO much about this intern ??!! Do you just shoot the breeze with every one in the office and they just naturally tell you all their secrets?

Pretty soon, you're going to be counselling this kid about marriage.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2024, 06:22 PM   #32370
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
^^ so is his family rich? He can technically duck off to butt fuck no where in northern bc, buy a place for $300-500k live the lifestyle he wants and not need $300k household income. His girl can either open a pho shop, nail hair salon, not sure if the bud is still a lucrative business anymore, and make dat cash money's
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 07:00 PM   #32371
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,140 Posts
Failed 79 Times in 53 Posts
300K is very "traditional middle class" in Vancouver, which is a sad and stark reality.

But yes, everything else that he mentions - some of us in this thread have what this 22 Y/O wants and more and it's a good reminder that at least a few of us are blessed.

The only thing I wish we had was more money and time for vacations...
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 07:43 PM   #32372

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Again ... I just have to chuckle ... how the hell do you know SO much about this intern ??!! Do you just shoot the breeze with every one in the office and they just naturally tell you all their secrets?

Pretty soon, you're going to be counselling this kid about marriage.
Pretty much. This is the way I look at it, if I'm going to spend my precious time with you, I'm going to try my darndest to make a real connection with you.

I feel like I can build rapport quickly because I'm naturally curious, so I try to figure out what you're into and then I focus on that and try to learn more about whatever you're into (as long as I'm actually interested in it), which means I can ask you engaging intelligent questions.

And because I'm genuinely curious about things, I feel like I create a pretty natural social environment for people. This might be the reason why people feel comfortable around me. I'm also a pretty nice guy =D

With interns it's even easier because I'm in the position they want to be in, so when i go out of my way to talk to them they get real buddy buddy quickly because the other people in the office just give them that surface level, "Hey, how's it going, are you enjoying yourself, where you from, that's cool, yeah, etc." That conversation lasts about one minute and it's just a formality and everyone knows it. It's very rare I'll ever ask someone how's it going, I think that's the most useless question to ask anyone. The answer is always going to be some variation of, "I'm good" and people know it's just a formality and you don't really care how they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ so is his family rich? He can technically duck off to butt fuck no where in northern bc, buy a place for $300-500k live the lifestyle he wants and not need $300k household income. His girl can either open a pho shop, nail hair salon, not sure if the bud is still a lucrative business anymore, and make dat cash money's
Depends on what you think rich is, but he said his mom put a down payment on a brand new pre-sale condo (one bedroom) in Metrotown for him. He's also a mainlander, so without knowing anything else about him, I stereotype him as pretty rich. I've never met a "poor" mainlander in Vancouver.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:55 PM   #32373
I don't get it

Failed 65 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Depends on what you think rich is, but he said his mom put a down payment on a brand new pre-sale condo (one bedroom) in Metrotown for him. He's also a mainlander, so without knowing anything else about him, I stereotype him as pretty rich. I've never met a "poor" mainlander in Vancouver.
You need to visit some random Richmond mall, like RPM, in the middle of a weekday and then you'll find some poor mainlanders.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2024, 08:11 PM   #32374

Thanked 10,152 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Poor mainlanders ? Easy. Find the ones that came in the early 90s or 80s. We dirt poor.

This kid is lame. When I was 22 all I wanted was my head up a blonde bitch’s ass (im 40 now and that hasn’t really changed) His “dream life” isn’t all that much of a dream. Dream bigger you dumb ass.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 08:16 PM   #32375

PeanutButter ... that's wild! You're the kind of person I stayed the hell away from in the office because I don't trust people like you with my personal info ... eg. I might come onto a forum and read about my life ... .