REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-25-2024, 05:48 AM   #32426
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Then you have all the buddy guy no engrish, Uber driver, with unemployed wife and 5 kids, that's milks Max child tax benefits and low income credits that gets them like $3-4000 a month for breathing?
the rest of your post is garbage, but this part of it, the exploitation of our benefits system is what's really wrong. (not saying your figures are accurate either)
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 07:36 AM   #32427
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
^ it takes like 2 years + to replace a pipe, repave a road in worse condition than before they dug it up. Don't forget the road is dug up closed with cones unusable all that time, + you pay 6-7 fat guys/ broads who hold slow/ stop signs while smoking. Everyone else just stands around and looks at the hole.

Meanwhile there's 3rd world China that can get it done overnight. But then that's against human rights and we're too good for that.
These are the kind of posts that are so stupid and annoying, all hyperbole and no facts whatsoever.

1) I walk down Cook Rd in Richmond twice a week to go to the Canada Line. They replaced a pipe down the entire length of that road, from Garden City up to St. Albans... it took just under 2 weeks not working every day and trying to not disrupt traffic as much as possible. <2 week does not equate to 2 years.

LITERALLY NOT ONE THING IN YOUR SENTENCE IS TRUE.

2) You watch some time lapses of a bridge going up in China and think it's amazing. How about you go on YouTube and search up "entire apartment building collapses" and tell me where those videos are all from too?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 08:01 AM   #32428
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ there is the block user function that makes the overall RS experience a bit more enjoyable.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 08:07 AM   #32429
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
everytime i see a bridge go up in canada i think... whys it taking so long.
then i read in the news about bridges collapsing in countries like china and i think... thank fuck it took us 6 years.
i dont actually mind that these projects take us so long, the only thing i hate is when politics gets in the way of getting the shovels in the ground, like the massey tunnel that would have been a completed bridge by now if it werent for the ndp.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 08:29 AM   #32430
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Y'ALL NEVER HEARD OF THE SHITWATER PLANT ON THE NORTHSHORE RIGHT

it's going to be the most expensive water treatment plant in the world

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 08:40 AM   #32431
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
lol things aren't safer because we take our time. We take our time because of all the multiple stakeholders and shitheads that need to get their palms greased first before any shovels hit the ground. Environmental Impact Assessments, First Nations Consultations, Union agreements, every Joe-Blow Boomer NIMBY within 100 miles needs to be compensated and have their voice heard first before we can do anything.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 08:45 AM   #32432
Performance Moderator

^ Well, it's certainly better than what Beijing did to people for the Olympics?

Just driving a bulldozer up to old people's houses and telling them to collect their shit and flattening their home?
Old 07-25-2024, 08:47 AM   #32433
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
^Yes because we can only do one or the other. Every time people bring up China as an argument point it's disingenuous. Either it's the most efficient country in the world (it's not) or the entire country is due to collapse at any moment due to poor workmanship (it won't)

No, we can't take lessons from any other country around the world that have more efficient ways of doing things. Nope, only China.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 09:02 AM   #32434
RabidMod

Thanked 1,349 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
2) You watch some time lapses of a bridge going up in China and think it's amazing. How about you go on YouTube and search up "entire apartment building collapses" and tell me where those videos are all from too?
+1. The last time I was in Shanghai going down the highway, I saw 5 brand new identical apartment buildings all in a cluster. Not only is it kind of weird to see 5 whole towers being copy-pasted SimCity-style, one of them had half-way collapsed, all in crumbles. Kinda post-apocalyptic looking except it was brand new. I had to do a double-take because it almost looked like something CG'd in a movie. (sorry Hobz to throw shade: nice city, otherwise!)

No doubt they go fast, but safety (and other things) are not their priorities.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:08 AM   #32435

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I'm sure I did this wrong, but I just went on the CRA site and plucked this in, married couple, $40000 employment income, 5 kids under 3 years old.

Your total estimated benefit amount is:
$48,087.88
Tax Credits
GST/HST credit quarterly amount$393.75
BC climate action tax credit quarterly amount$346.50
Child Benefits
Canada child benefit monthly amount$3,177.53
BC Family Benefit monthly amount$564.50

Canada #1 better than working at Walmart
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-25-2024, 09:11 AM   #32436
Performance Moderator

Barring having triplets or something like that, it's impossible to have 5 kids under 3 years old just FYI

What's your point though?

Do you know how much kids cost?

Do you think you have a good life with 5 kids on $48k a year?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 09:11 AM   #32437
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
lol things aren't safer because we take our time. We take our time because of all the multiple stakeholders and shitheads that need to get their palms greased first before any shovels hit the ground. Environmental Impact Assessments, First Nations Consultations, Union agreements, every Joe-Blow Boomer NIMBY within 100 miles needs to be compensated and have their voice heard first before we can do anything.
It's probably both. I guess Star Wars taught us we're not supposed to think in absolutes something something.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:14 AM   #32438
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
^Yes because we can only do one or the other. Every time people bring up China as an argument point it's disingenuous. Either it's the most efficient country in the world (it's not) or the entire country is due to collapse at any moment due to poor workmanship (it won't)

No, we can't take lessons from any other country around the world that have more efficient ways of doing things. Nope, only China.
Well... you were giving an extreme as an example of red tape and process... so I gave an example of the opposite extreme.

Nowhere did I say it couldn't meet in the middle or that there's not room for improvement.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:18 AM   #32439
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
do you think a Bosa, Concord, etc. could even exist if they went 200% over budget on EVERY PROJECT?

Sure, building a high rise may not be as complicated as building a bridge etc. however, when private enterprise can continually build MASSIVE developments within budget and time frame, yet there is -zero- chance of that happening on the public side, somthing is wrong.

The bridges and infastructure we build here isn’t rocket science, it’s all been done better, bigger, and on time, within budget, in other places. We, as Canadians just bend over and accept that we will be paying for the incompetence of elected officials.

I sure as hell don’t want to pay a fucking cent for that north shore treatment fiasco. Force north shore residents to pick up the slack and maybe people will actually wake up when their taxes go up hundreds of dollars a year.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:30 AM   #32440

I'm just saying Canada is a charity, and yes that does seem like a pretty good life you make $40000 a year and your housewife and kids brings you another $48000 from the government. That's $88000 annual, if you move to any hick town in bc that's a pretty comfortable life with only one person working.

Clearly if maniacs buddy guys can have 10 adults in a one bedroom it can be done with kids. You came from that 50c sweat farm village, then gov offers you $ to not work. Sign me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Barring having triplets or something like that, it's impossible to have 5 kids under 3 years old just FYI

What's your point though?

Do you know how much kids cost?

Do you think you have a good life with 5 kids on $48k a year?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 09:31 AM   #32441
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
do you think a Bosa, Concord, etc. could even exist if they went 200% over budget on EVERY PROJECT?

Sure, building a high rise may not be as complicated as building a bridge etc. however, when private enterprise can continually build MASSIVE developments within budget and time frame, yet there is -zero- chance of that happening on the public side, somthing is wrong.

The bridges and infastructure we build here isn’t rocket science, it’s all been done better, bigger, and on time, within budget, in other places. We, as Canadians just bend over and accept that we will be paying for the incompetence of elected officials.

I sure as hell don’t want to pay a fucking cent for that north shore treatment fiasco. Force north shore residents to pick up the slack and maybe people will actually wake up when their taxes go up hundreds of dollars a year.

??? Private companies are the ones that build those things man.

Government doesn't have it's own construction crew.

So who's at fault? Your heroes at Bosa and Concord? Or the construction crews who price fix with each other because they know they have a commodity that can't be obtained elsewhere and tender on projects divied up between the CEO's of those companies? The companies that bid on these projects are the real crooks, costing everyone money because they collude to take advantage of the system.

BTW the reason a lot of these firms rarely go over on their own shit is because they WAY inflate their budgets in prep for it OR if they are getting close they cut things out, deliver a building with balconies half the size they were supposed to be or remove options. It's been all over the media recently that pre-sale promises aren't being delivered.

The concrete remediation for my building was estimated to be $3.6 Million by the engineering firm, but they admitted under intense questioning of their numbers they only made that estimate because it was the absolute top-end of what would happen if everything went to shit. Easy to look good when you do a sky high number and then come in slightly under but ALSO know where your ceiling is so you and your buddies can feel free to pad quotes as well.

You of all people should know how crooked and incestuous the construction industry is.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 09:42 AM   #32442

So the only way to get public projects done is to lie to the public and then eat overruns?

Govt. contracts should be under the most scrutiny. Contractors should be held liable for overruns as they would he in the private sector.

If you bid on a job in the construction industry, and you’re well under other bids, it’s still expected you complete the work for the agreed upon amount even if you take a loss on the project.

Not this shit where oh, we’re half way done now and we need double the money to complete? Ok here you go.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:50 AM   #32443
Performance Moderator

I don't know what to say man, you never been on the business end of a government contract so you're just conjecturing.

I do them all the time and see them all the time, including the building of buildings for multiple agencies, plenty of them are under budget.

The only one I personally was involved in that went over, was when earthquake/seismic regulations changed mid-project and adjustments had to be made to the budget based on that.

I'm not saying that no government projects over-run, and I don't do provincial so that's a whole other story I can't comment on... but stuff I worked on the last 20 years has been solid and sometimes contractors try to sneak shit in but they get called out and nickel/dimed on it. On large scale multi-year projects like a bridge, I can have some sympathy for material and labour costs rising (and falling) with various economic situations.

One failing I do notice is when people who don't understand things are doing the contracting, ie: they want a 5 tonne crane truck built and they spec hyrdaulic brakes so that the operator doesn't need to be air brake cert and then go over the GVWR limits for that type of braking system. Stupid shit like that which PSPC is SUPPOSED to catch.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 10:01 AM   #32444
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Getting good nostalgic vibes of fight club incoming...

Just need to throw in some personal insults and off we go!

Back to RE?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 10:02 AM   #32445
Performance Moderator

You NEVER had a clue, noclue
Old 07-25-2024, 10:05 AM   #32446
RabidMod

Quote:
I'm just saying Canada is a charity, and yes that does seem like a pretty good life you make $40000 a year and your housewife and kids brings you another $48000 from the government. That's $88000 annual,

Uh no?!

If your gross is $40,000 and your tax credits are $48,000, it means at best you walk away with $40,000 net. You can't just add them together!

You can only use your tax credits to reduce your tax liability. Which I think was only going to be something like ~$8000 in the first place, if you're making $40k?

So after going to all the trouble of having 5 kids under 3 (which by the way, is a fkton of money. daycare costs $1000-2000 a month, per toddler, and i assume you're not clothing or feeding them, books, toys, a place to sleep, anything like that).

So you've milked the government $8000/yr. And you did this, by paying $120,000/yr in daycare costs alone.

Yep, you've definitely won. You sure have taken advantage of the system.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:12 AM   #32447

Like I said I could be wrong, but base on how they worded it it's not tax credit but how much they will pay you.

Child Benefits

That's almost $4000 a month before any other credits
Old 07-25-2024, 10:13 AM   #32448
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
FWIW, both the Canada Line, Evergreen Line and Millennium Line projects came in under budget - the Canada Line even got done ahead of schedule (3 months). The two current extensions are running behind to some degree for what sounds like reasonable reasons.

I think saying that "all" xyz projects go over is kinda bullshit argument and leaves the rest of what someone says on the topic to be less than credible.

Whether something goes over and comes in on time isn't dependent on whether it's public or private - it happens on either side and one is way more visible than the other. I work in tech and it's incredible the number of shitty releases that go out the door but there's also tonnes of successes. It'd be the same whether I was in public or private (Crowdstrike anyone?)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:14 AM   #32449

When a private mega project goes over budget, tax payers don’t foot the bill. That’s the difference
Old 07-25-2024, 10:18 AM   #32450
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Like I said I could be wrong, but base on how they worded it it's not tax credit but how much they will pay you.

Child Benefits

That's almost $4000 a month before any other credits
Ignoring the ridiculousness of your example (5 kids under 3y - haha, find me an actual family like this - just a SINGLE one) I have no issue with these kinds of credits. It's in the interest of the government and society that we encourage people to have children because we need workers and future taxpayers. This is an INVESTMENT, not an expense - providing a foundation for children (and their parents) increases the likelihood that they turn into contributing members of society who pay taxes and who go on to do productive things in the economy (or go to war). Those productive things they do and the taxes they end up paying will far outweigh the investment we make in them.

Looking at this as a giveaway is short sighted and the kind of behaviour that leads to the American south (a 3rd world country tucked into the world's richest country that is a drain on the productive parts of America).
This post thanked by: