REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-25-2024, 10:20 AM   #32451
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
The overrun projects get all the headlines because XYZ budget came in a budget doesn't catch eyeballs. Nor do the nuanced details get reported on, such as building a project through a record inflationary period of 10+% YoY for 3 years.

But hey gov't bad.

This is a car forum, please go tell BMW they are dicks for inflating the price of the F80 M3 starting at 72k to the G80 M3 starting at 90k.

Get back to me when you get that message through.
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 10:22 AM   #32452
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
There is no shortage in Canada of people who want to buy a GT3. The problem is there are not close to enough GT3 allocations.

In Canada we have way to many people with way too much money, too many people with not enough money, and not enough people in the middle.

I really don't understand what Hehe is trying to do. He already has a ton of money but want's to rip his kids out of school and become a citizen of another country for what? A few more dollars in the bank? When his kids want to go to university they will probably have to leave the country they are living in to go to school. get a job, get married have kids all in another country.
The very reason was never about to make more money. I think at this stage of life, the major source of income has already been set. It's hard for me to venture out of it given my existing workload.

The problem is the quality of life and kiddos' education.

Given the amount of money I'm spending here in Canada, I think the quality of life can be much higher. The reason I brought up Costa Rica is that an ex-coworker lives there now with his family while working semi-remotely (he does fly back to Canada every 2mth or so). He told me that his monthly budget for everything is set at 6k USD a month. He's got a beautiful beach house, got not 1, but 2 caregivers to deal with their chores 24/7, eat like a king and supposedly he often doesn't even spend 5k. Here in Canada, I'm spending more than 6k USD a month. I think I live comfortably in a sense that I don't worry about money too much. But I still have to consider "oh... ribeye is too expensive now, maybe do New York steak from now on". Yes... first world problem. But people thrive for the better. If I have to make do every chance I have, what is the point of life?

Thus, the reasoning is, if by moving somewhere else, and I can get a better lifestyle given the same income, why not?

Then kiddos' education... I have experienced both private and public school, and while private is better, it's nothing to write home about. What I'm seeking is for schools or the society as a whole to teach kids to be competitive, be eager to learn and excel and never be complacent.

Here in Vancouver or Canada as a whole, we have this ideology for kids to be chill. Yes, kids are super nice and friendly, but that's a fucking bubble. Real world is nothing even remotely close. Kids in the same school as my kids all have quite successful parents who are either old money or have company that were pass down in generations. So they don't have to work all that hard.

But is this the kind of kids I want my kids to be? Not really. If I am a self-made millionaire, I expect my kids to use my resources and become deci/centi-millionaires and not just another millionaire.

I look around... even the absolute best private school in YVR, they've got only maybe 50% of kids going to Ivy-league or equivalent schools. And this is not achieved by teaching them everything they need to succeed but mostly focus on academical workload.

My environment... growing up... was not ideal per se. But it taught me things that no school in Canada can teach me. By moving kids around, put them into environments that might make them feel uncomfortable... I am looking to achieve just that... to be able to go into a place/situation that are outside of their comfort zone, and come out of it.

Here in Canada... we mask hardship as unfairness. But the truth is, nothing is fair in life. If people have mental or social problem, we should get them help. It's not discrimination or social unfairness if we treat them differently as long as the idea is for them to be better. The first step of solving ANY problem is to admit that there is a problem. If we think it's the society that created the condition for them to fail. We are simply pushing the problem to the society instead of personal. And we try to fix the society instead of at a personal level. But societal problems are derived from personal problems. The society is nothing more than a overall reflection of people in it. The only way to fix a societal problem is to start working on its people.

And I don't agree that making it hard for people is being unfair. Instead, I want to purposely put my kids in a condition that's unfair for them and help them to come out of it. This is what I believe how they will grow as a person.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:24 AM   #32453

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I'm sure I did this wrong, but I just went on the CRA site and plucked this in, married couple, $40000 employment income, 5 kids under 3 years old.

Your total estimated benefit amount is:
$48,087.88
Tax Credits
GST/HST credit quarterly amount$393.75
BC climate action tax credit quarterly amount$346.50
Child Benefits
Canada child benefit monthly amount$3,177.53
BC Family Benefit monthly amount$564.50

Canada #1 better than working at Walmart
Please, go have 5 kids under 3 years with ONE woman. Go do it. I'll even pitch in an extra $1000 a year for you.

You do realize that there's a population crisis in most western countries right? Canada uphold's it's growth through immigration, but organic growth is always better than immigration, and this is part of the plan to encourage that. If anything I'd say it's not enough. It's obvious you don't have kids otherwise you wouldn't make such comments. Even if a family with 5 kids immigrate to Canada and they get benefits, it's an investment for the future.

Before you said those kids won't pan out. This is an INVESTMENT for the future, investments don't always pan out and you aren't guaranteed a win.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 10:34 AM   #32454
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
The child benefit program is not without its issues, I know when I worked there many moons ago (and I seriously doubt anything has changed) it was a cash cow for satellite families from China who bought houses here, sent mom and 2 kids over with no income and then she applied for child tax benefit and got the full retainer for her 2 kids and just reported her spouse's income as $0... or $1 because you aren't allowed to say $0. I'd see it all the time.. Zhi Yue Zhin at 123 41st Ave W in Kerrisdale has no income.

So again, the real abusers of tax and benefit systems are RICH people. Who then probably turn around and complain to their friends about how much tax they have to pay in Canada for stuff.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 10:39 AM   #32455

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I was literally just reading this like an hour ago, yea how great this immigration investment has been since we can't fuck enough ourselves to bring up the population.

https://financialpost.com/news/econo...s-says-macklem

"Canada’s GDP per capita has declined in six of the past seven quarters.

The kind of situation where GDP is on the rise, but per-capita GDP is on the decline isn’t sustainable, said Benjamin Tal, an economist at the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, since it means the economy is growing mainly due to population growth as opposed to being productive. Canada’s productivity numbers have also been declining in recent quarters."

So we're fucked if we bring them in, and we're fucked if we stop letting them in, cuz numbers will go to shit.

A positive note is rates will come back down due to the fuck up.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-25-2024, 10:45 AM   #32456
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:

So we're fucked if we bring them in, and we're fucked if we stop letting them in, cuz numbers will go to shit.
You're misreading the report - bringing in people is what's keeping the economy growing, the problem of declining per capital GDP has nothing to do with us bringing in immigrants, it's to do with our lack of investment in capital (tools that make us more productive). That's a policy problem (grants, taxes, etc) which we do need to fix sooner rather than later (none of the political parties seem to be paying attention to this problem though).
Old 07-25-2024, 10:57 AM   #32457
RabidMod

Thanked 1,350 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
The child benefit program is not without its issues, I know when I worked there many moons ago (and I seriously doubt anything has changed) it was a cash cow for satellite families from China who bought houses here, sent mom and 2 kids over with no income and then she applied for child tax benefit and got the full retainer for her 2 kids and just reported her spouse's income as $0... or $1 because you aren't allowed to say $0. I'd see it all the time.. Zhi Yue Zhin at 123 41st Ave W in Kerrisdale has no income.

So again, the real abusers of tax and benefit systems are RICH people. Who then probably turn around and complain to their friends about how much tax they have to pay in Canada for stuff.
Whoa whoa whoa.

So we are actually mailing out checks for these benefits, agnostic to tax liability?! JDMDreams was right?

Man. And I get that Canada's decided we will tax income just based on residency, but we should at least be calculating benefits/credits based on household worldwide income. Otherwise that is fucked.
Old 07-25-2024, 10:59 AM   #32458

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Whoa whoa whoa.

So we are actually mailing out checks for these benefits, agnostic to tax liability?! JDMDreams was right?

Man. And I get that Canada's decided we will tax income just based on residency, but we should at least be calculating benefits/credits based on household worldwide income. Otherwise that is fucked.
The income is "hidden". CRA does try but it has limited reach, especially with countries like China. Everyone knows it's there, but proving it in front of the judge is the hard part.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 11:14 AM   #32459
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Don’t forget international students and people on work permits who bring family members with them
Old 07-25-2024, 11:19 AM   #32460
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The very reason was never about to make more money. I think at this stage of life, the major source of income has already been set. It's hard for me to venture out of it given my existing workload.

Given the amount of money I'm spending here in Canada, I think the quality of life can be much higher. The reason I brought up Costa Rica is that an ex-coworker lives there now with his family while working semi-remotely (he does fly back to Canada every 2mth or so). He told me that his monthly budget for everything is set at 6k USD a month. He's got a beautiful beach house, got not 1, but 2 caregivers to deal with their chores 24/7, eat like a king and supposedly he often doesn't even spend 5k. Here in Canada, I'm spending more than 6k USD a month. I think I live comfortably in a sense that I don't worry about money too much. But I still have to consider "oh... ribeye is too expensive now, maybe do New York steak from now on". Yes... first world problem. But people thrive for the better. If I have to make do every chance I have, what is the point of life?

Thus, the reasoning is, if by moving somewhere else, and I can get a better lifestyle given the same income, why not?

Then kiddos' education... I have experienced both private and public school, and while private is better, it's nothing to write home about. What I'm seeking is for schools or the society as a whole to teach kids to be competitive, be eager to learn and excel and never be complacent.

Here in Vancouver or Canada as a whole, we have this ideology for kids to be chill. Yes, kids are super nice and friendly, but that's a fucking bubble. Real world is nothing even remotely close. Kids in the same school as my kids all have quite successful parents who are either old money or have company that were pass down in generations. So they don't have to work all that hard.

But is this the kind of kids I want my kids to be? Not really. If I am a self-made millionaire, I expect my kids to use my resources and become deci/centi-millionaires and not just another millionaire.

I look around... even the absolute best private school in YVR, they've got only maybe 50% of kids going to Ivy-league or equivalent schools. And this is not achieved by teaching them everything they need to succeed but mostly focus on academical workload.

My environment... growing up... was not ideal per se. But it taught me things that no school in Canada can teach me. By moving kids around, put them into environments that might make them feel uncomfortable... I am looking to achieve just that... to be able to go into a place/situation that are outside of their comfort zone, and come out of it.

Here in Canada... we mask hardship as unfairness. But the truth is, nothing is fair in life. If people have mental or social problem, we should get them help. It's not discrimination or social unfairness if we treat them differently as long as the idea is for them to be better. The first step of solving ANY problem is to admit that there is a problem. If we think it's the society that created the condition for them to fail. We are simply pushing the problem to the society instead of personal. And we try to fix the society instead of at a personal level. But societal problems are derived from personal problems. The society is nothing more than a overall reflection of people in it. The only way to fix a societal problem is to start working on its people.

And I don't agree that making it hard for people is being unfair. Instead, I want to purposely put my kids in a condition that's unfair for them and help them to come out of it. This is what I believe how they will grow as a person.
So what I'm getting at reading this word salad is that you want your kids to experience hardship so they can be better people by moving them into private schools in Monaco, Andorra, or live like expat royalty in Costa Rica?

Comon man just be on the level with us and say you just want to enrich yourself (and your family) further. Have some self-respect instead of trying to justify it being fOr thE KidZ!!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 11:22 AM   #32461

Back to R/E

So this house was in Fraser Heights, my buddy lives around the corner and kinda got the downlo.. so this couple sold this rancher, actually very good shape etc. but I guess it’s probably a buddy guy who saw a corner lot and going to build some monstrosity

After selling the home the old owner was informed the house would be torn down. So they opted to fucking move the house from Fraser heights to NANAIMO wtf..

So they cut it in half a bit, tossed it in a truck, got it down to barnston island and fucking towed it to Nanaimo…

The house was free, and apparently it cost between 150-180k to move

Then it’s gotta be 200+ to get it set back on the new property. Don’t know if it really made financial sense unless you just loved it that much
Old 07-25-2024, 11:27 AM   #32462
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The income is "hidden". CRA does try but it has limited reach, especially with countries like China. Everyone knows it's there, but proving it in front of the judge is the hard part.
Makes me kind of appreciate the IRS.

I break out in sweat every year fearing I've misplaced even a cent that I might owe, lest they bust down my door, guns blazing.
Old 07-25-2024, 11:53 AM   #32463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Back to R/E

So this house was in Fraser Heights, my buddy lives around the corner and kinda got the downlo.. so this couple sold this rancher, actually very good shape etc. but I guess it’s probably a buddy guy who saw a corner lot and going to build some monstrosity

After selling the home the old owner was informed the house would be torn down. So they opted to fucking move the house from Fraser heights to NANAIMO wtf..

So they cut it in half a bit, tossed it in a truck, got it down to barnston island and fucking towed it to Nanaimo…

Then it’s gotta be 200+ to get it set back on the new property. Don’t know if it really made financial sense unless you just loved it that much
Used to be a lot more common when I was a kid. Knowing what I know now, I wonder how many new cracks they have on the walls....
Old 07-25-2024, 11:55 AM   #32464
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,249 Posts
Failed 136 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Back to R/E

The engineering involved blows my mind any time I see a house get moved to another location, or raised to add another floor.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 12:00 PM   #32465
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The engineering involved blows my mind any time I see a house get moved to another location, or raised to add another floor.
Yeah, it's crazy cool to see it lifted all in one piece

I'm guessing the old home has a lot of memories for the owners and they were willing to pay for it - not everything has to make sense financially
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 12:07 PM   #32466

I’d be curious to see how they place it again

Usually now you can use a laser GPS type wand and map the foot print of the foundation, then essentially survey the new foundation on the new lot and plop the house down.

That or you just pour one big slab.

Frankly the sentimentality, regardless of how much was in that home didn’t seem worth it lol.
Old 07-25-2024, 03:20 PM   #32467
Performance Moderator

When I was a kid, my dad's friend bought a property in Steveston and he literally bought the 2nd story of a house, built a first story to match it and then had the 2nd story of a house driven on a truck through Richmond complete with total road closures to the new property and then crane lifted onto the bottom half... when I was a kid I just thought it was super cool that Uncle Bill was moving a house but now I think back on it and it's like what in the ever loving fuck was he thinking?!?!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2024, 07:10 PM   #32468

Kind of wading back into politics already but CoV allowing gas heating in new builds again was actually finally something with half a brain to it

Obviously any new build the cost of the electric heating would be passed onto the customer but this may enable multiplexes with only 200 amps etc.

Also the cost of electricity when your whole home is on a heat pump or baseboards is insane compared to gas. Virtually all new gas appliances now are like 98% efficient as well so it’s not really the end of the world to use a resource we have an abundance of that burns clean VS purchased power from the states
Old 07-25-2024, 07:58 PM   #32469
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 187 Posts
Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the province & fed put a little effort behind RNG projects, that would sure help a lot too.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 08:16 PM   #32470
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

Given the amount of money I'm spending here in Canada, I think the quality of life can be much higher. The reason I brought up Costa Rica is that an ex-coworker lives there now with his family while working semi-remotely (he does fly back to Canada every 2mth or so). He told me that his monthly budget for everything is set at 6k USD a month. He's got a beautiful beach house, got not 1, but 2 caregivers to deal with their chores 24/7, eat like a king and supposedly he often doesn't even spend 5k. Here in Canada, I'm spending more than 6k USD a month.
Spoiler!

I'm glad your buddy can hire someone for $32 a day take care of his kids. Ask him if he feels safe travelling at night in Costa Rica. I bet he doesn't.

Not every kid that does to private school want's to go to an ivy. My nephew who went to one of the best private schools in van didn't. His dream was to play in the NHL and the school had great hockey program. After high school he spent 4 year in the WHL. Didn't make the NHL but was recruited by universities in Canada. Ended up staying local. After uni if he want sto keep playing he may go to Europe. Canada's schools are just as good as anywhere else and a lot better than schools in the US.
Old 07-26-2024, 09:33 AM   #32471
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
I missed the last couple days so catching up.

Raising 5 kids under 3 on a combined HHI of $80k is POVERTY.

When I think of infrastrucure in countries like China and Dubai, I think of exploited workers who work in unsafe conditions for many more hours at a time, making peanuts. I'm pretty sure we don't want that here.

A lot of people will never make more than min wage in their lives because of reasons outside of their control. Not everyone was born with the ability to do what many of us have achieved. People have different levels of abilities, disabilities, illness, etc. Those people need to be able to live as well.

Pretty much every week I hear a gov't waste story. It's mind boggling but it'll never change. That's just how it is.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2024, 10:04 AM   #32472
Performance Moderator

My favourite and simple example of government waste articles is way back at a G7 summit, I can't remember which national news agency it was published an article about how the RCMP had sold or was in the process of selling like hundreds of Chevrolet Suburbans after using them for 2 months for the G7 at a loss to taxpayers of some massive sum of money.

For sake of argument, let's say GC Surplus was selling them for $60,000 each.

The person who wrote the article looked up the MSRP of a Chevrolet Suburban on the GM website, which again for sake of argument was $80,000 and deduced that the government was eating $20,000 on each one they sold, with them all being pretty much brand new. Hundreds of thousands if not a million+ of waste. Anyone reading that would, rightfullly so, think what this is an absolute travesty.

The problem is, that person is using the wrong data. What actually happened is that the government bought them all off standing offer directly from GM, which is nowhere near MSRP, and at the time Suburbans were ~$50,000 a piece. So the government was actually MAKING $10,000 off each one they sold. In fact, at that time, GM got so pissed at the government for flooding the market with brand new cheap Suburbans, they pulled out of the standing offer that year and wouldn't rejoin unless there was a minimum ownership/retention period instituted.

Just goes to show how a reporter simply not understanding or bothering to try and figure out how a process really works can cause a national frenzy over government waste that didn't even exist. You can guarantee that rag never posted a retraction either.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2024, 10:17 AM   #32473
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Must have been published by CNN or Fox news

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 10:24 AM   #32474
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Here's one I heard just a few days ago from a trusted source.

Hospital needs a room renovated to store and disinfect equipment.

Hires construction company and spends $XXX,XXX on the job,

3 months later, same hospital gets started on a cafeteria renovation.

Hospital then contacts same construction company and asks them to tear down the BRAND NEW equipment storage room and convert that to a temporary cafeteria.

Then once the main cafeteria project is complerted, the same construction company will get hired again to convert the temporary cafeteria back into the equipment room they just built prior to the cafeteria project.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 10:48 AM   #32475
RabidMod

Quote:
Like I said I could be wrong, but base on how they worded it it's not tax credit but how much they will pay you.

Child Benefits
Canada child benefit monthly amount$3,177.53
BC Family Benefit monthly amount$564.50

That's almost $4000 a month before any other credits
I did some reading, I think you're right.

My experience has been with the US system, where it's a credit and you can only claim as much of this as you would've owed in tax.

Whereas in Canada, seems they really do just send you money.

My bad. But I still think the benefit amount is peanuts vs how bankruptingly expensive kids are.