REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-28-2024, 12:26 PM   #32501
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^ what jobs? Teens can't even get a tim Hortons job anymore. Walmart, all fast food is buddy guy girls who don't speak English. Not even any Filipino chicken anymore.
That's fucking bs. My neice and nephews have all had jobs. A and W, Cactus ect.
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2024, 12:54 PM   #32502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^ what jobs? Teens can't even get a tim Hortons job anymore. Walmart, all fast food is buddy guy girls who don't speak English. Not even any Filipino chicken anymore.
Old 07-28-2024, 01:13 PM   #32503
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's absolutely not bs, it's much harder for kids to find jobs than when I was a kid. There obviously are kids that are working but the opportunities are so much less than they were 20 years ago.

Just walk into any fast food restaurant, jobs where the labour used to be provided by high school kids and now it's mainly provided by non residents attending diploma mills here on student visas.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2024, 01:40 PM   #32504
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Well he did say buddy guys so you're both right
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2024, 02:05 PM   #32505

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
It's absolutely not bs, it's much harder for kids to find jobs than when I was a kid. There obviously are kids that are working but the opportunities are so much less than they were 20 years ago.

Just walk into any fast food restaurant, jobs where the labour used to be provided by high school kids and now it's mainly provided by non residents attending diploma mills here on student visas.
What highschool kid was working at a mcdick's at 2 pm on a Monday in October? Mcdicks is now also open 24/7. You really want a 14 year old working 3 in the morning on a weekday?
Old 07-28-2024, 02:44 PM   #32506
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,758 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Hmm.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...ent-110k-fine/

A Vancouver realtor committed professional misconduct and has been fined $110,000 for deceptive real estate investment, the BC Financial Services Authority (BCFSA) says.

Wendy Mills and her personal real estate corporation have also had their licences suspended.

The BCFSA says between 2018 and 2020, Mills approached a client she had worked with for a real estate sale in Vancouver with an opportunity to buy, renovate, and sell a property together.

Under the agreement, the client gave Mills $60,000 and was promised a $20,000 return on investment, for a total of $80,000.

The client then asked for the $60,000 back, at which point Mills offered to roll the $60,000 into buying and renovating a second property — once again promising profit of $20,000.

“Again, Mills misrepresented to the client that she had purchased and renovated the second property, when she had not and had taken no steps to do so,” association said.

“Following a series of requests for payment and commencement of a lawsuit by the client, Mills paid her client back $70,500 of the $80,000 promised – composed of the $60,000 initial investment and $20,000 in promised profit on the second property.”

The BCFSA says Mills did not inform her brokerage of the real estate services she was providing for her client. This includes written agreements for each property.

She also didn’t deliver the clients funds to her brokerage, as she was required to do.

Licences for both Mills and her corporation were cancelled as of July 18, 2024. On top of the discipline penalty, they have been ordered to pay $5,000 in enforcement expenses.
Old 07-28-2024, 03:25 PM   #32507

Quote:
What highschool kid was working at a mcdick's at 2 pm on a Monday in October? Mcdicks is now also open 24/7. You really want a 14 year old working 3 in the morning on a weekday?
That's fine for those shifts, problem is the kids aren't working the afterschool or weekend shifts either because the reasons I mentioned, they are very seldom being hired period.

I have an 18 year old kid, I know a lot of kids grade 11, 12 and just graduated high school and it's really bad man. Local kids are not getting hired for the jobs they traditionally did through high school and into University.

Why deal with local kids when you can take advantage of a group of people who don't even understand their rights here. Take a look around, you'd have to be blind or totally ignoring the issues not to see them.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2024, 05:54 PM   #32508
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
If your 18 and cant get a job.... Its due to one of the following reasons:
Either your resume is ass
You dont know how to talk to people because you live on tiktok
Your lazy
Your cover letter is generic
You only apply to the jobs you like

Unemployment rate is 5% today.
When i got my first job(s) (highschool) the rate was around 9%. There is no excuse for teens not having a job today

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2024, 09:05 PM   #32509

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Every gen Z who wants a job wants to pick their hours, their pay and benefits. They don’t get the job… and now there is no jobs?
Old 07-28-2024, 09:08 PM   #32510
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Jesus christ it can be more than one thing.

1. There's fewer jobs available to Canadian teens because of a flood of TFW and international students

2. Teens are lazy idiots these days and wanna be tiktok stars instead

3. Higher minimum wage is making once marginal businesses now unprofitable

It's not binary, guys.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 10:25 PM   #32511
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
you guys forgot some teens are babied.... "Mommy Looks after me" mindset.

you hear a lot of peoples ego say "Well Everybody has to work underneath my house"

and its just bunch of video gamers chilling and living off of instant Food staying out of trouble.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:29 AM   #32512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
you guys forgot some teens are babied.... "Mommy Looks after me" mindset.

you hear a lot of peoples ego say "Well Everybody has to work underneath my house"

and its just bunch of video gamers chilling and living off of instant Food staying out of trouble.
That's a parenting issue though, we help our son out when we can for sure no question.

He also works two part time jobs, starts University in September, football practices every night during the week 8-10PM and a game every weekend well trying to balance having to help around the house and finding time to get to the gym which is a requirement of football and spend with his girlfriend.

I've seen both sides of it for sure, some kids are lazy. I've never had the mindset you go to school and that's all you do.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 07:11 AM   #32513
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Couldn't get job, blamed donk's grammar

Also I would think Manic!'s demographic is a bit different being in Nanaimo, gonna vary place to place
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 08:07 AM   #32514
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Doesn't every generation think that the next generation is lazy and entitled and that they don't appreciate how hard things were back in the day?
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 08:25 AM   #32515
Performance Moderator

^ This... always a grudge about that stuff. There shouldn't be though... I mean... aren't our lives supposed to get easier? I'm not gonna pretend my life is harder than my grammie's was, it definitely isn't... more complicated maybe, but not harder.

It's fun being a parent, this battle between jealousy and also wanting your kid's life to be better than yours hahaha
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 09:37 AM   #32516
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

It's fun being a parent,
How many kids do you have again?

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 09:41 AM   #32517
Performance Moderator

Just sitting on the sidelines with a full bag of popcorn and balls
Old 07-29-2024, 09:46 AM   #32518
linguistic ninja

No matter how eager and smart you think your kid is or you think you were, there's just going to be less and less need for unskilled part-time labour from here on out. Face it these are the "summer jobs" that everyone here is talking about.

I mean you can't really blame them, there's no incentive to gain skills in industries that are dying (retail) or won't need human staff in the coming decades (food and hospitality).

Old 07-29-2024, 10:11 AM   #32519
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm not gonna pretend my life is harder than my grammie's was, it definitely isn't... more complicated maybe, but not harder.
Yeah, I definitely had it WAY WAY WAY easier than my parents or my grandparents - my grandparents lost some of their kids in WWII, my parents left their home to come here with little to nothing in their pockets and worked exhausting blue collar jobs.

Meanwhile I work a 4 day week from home and some poor immigrant brings me food in 30 mins with a touch of a button. I'm halfway to being one of the fat blobs in WALL-E.

OTOH, I would not trade my life for the life of people younger than me anymore - the world peaked in my era and I don't want anything to do with the shit show that is emerging with climate change, the re-emergence of nationalism/facism, the re-centralization of wealth, the crazy price of housing. Any 20 year old today is WAY more fucked than I was when I was 20, even someone 10-15 years younger than me is really fucked (I'm 48). If some Time Machine landed on my doorstep I would not want to go back or forward in time (other than to see what happens if I kill baby Hitler).
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 10:26 AM   #32520

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
I asked my eldest (10) a couple days ago what he would want to do for his first job when he's of age thinking he might say work a summer job at Playland or something. He said he's going to be scouted and recruited and then eventually play in the Champions league or something. One can dream lol

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 11:54 AM   #32521
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Any 20 year old today is WAY more fucked than I was when I was 20, even someone 10-15 years younger than me is really fucked (I'm 48). If some Time Machine landed on my doorstep I would not want to go back or forward in time (other than to see what happens if I kill baby Hitler).
Shit... what if time machines were real? What if today's cost-of-living crisis was caused by time travelling "tourists" from the future who are taking all their inflated value currencies and living here in the "present day" because it's the peak of civilization before things really started going to shit.

I mean you don't even have to be future rich, just travel back in time with some antique cash and buy NVDA or Bitcoin in 2013.

What if 2024 is being treated like that with people from 2050 the way Portugal is to being treated by Americans today. It all makes perfect sense now!

Old 07-29-2024, 12:10 PM   #32522
in the butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Shit... what if time machines were real? What if today's cost-of-living crisis was caused by time travelling "tourists" from the future who are taking all their inflated value currencies and living here in the "present day" because it's the peak of civilization before things really started going to shit.
https://youtu.be/APo2p4-WXsc?si=E0R60Aa2XnXf6Tjt

They tuuuukkk uurrr juuuuubs!!!!!!!

This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 12:28 PM   #32523
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post

I mean you don't even have to be future rich, just travel back in time with some antique cash and buy NVDA or Bitcoin in 2013.

What if 2024 is being treated like that with people from 2050 the way Portugal is to being treated by Americans today. It all makes perfect sense now!
Ehhh.. countries like Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, that actually value their own citizens seem to be doing fine without 15k a year income Hong Kong housewives buying up 15 million dollar mansions.

Canada did it to themselves.
Old 07-29-2024, 12:28 PM   #32524
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

I worked at mcd in grade 9 - 12 in early 2010's. Shifts were M-T 4PM - 9 to 11:30PM. Weekends 24/7, many worked graveyard.

Almost all my friends little brothers/sisters in Gen Z have never worked fast food or retail. Unless it's their first job at 22-25 after a degree.

1. Vancouver Gen Z's don't need the $$$ like we did back in the day so why would they work these $18-21/hour jobs.
2. Immigrants took the jobs and work harder than local folks.
3. SMB on the decline!

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 07-29-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2024, 12:31 PM   #32525
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Walk into any fast food restaurant and tell me the demographics.

There are endless stories online of actual employable people with experience and skills having a tough go finding any employment, not just what they are trained for etc.

It’s obviously completely correct in saying some TFW that can be used and abused and works harder than your average Canadian is a more desirable hire. Given all the benefits, kick backs, and systemic abuse companies can employ these people under it’s probably cheaper to hire 2-3 of them under a temporary status than even consider a person who wants a full time gig with benefits etc.

Who needs benefits? Your ear hurts? Just go sit in the ER for 13 hours on your day off.